Grandfathered The Grinder Scripts

Fox's Grandfathered, The Grinder Receive Order for 6 Additional Scripts

Fox is extending a vote of confidence to freshman comedies Grandfathered and The Grinder, ordering six additional scripts apiece.

Despite strong reviews, the Tuesday-night sitcoms have posted relatively modest ratings, although a Fox insider notes that both shows have seen increases of about 45 percent across platforms vs same-day viewing.

Grandfathered and The Grinder air new episodes next Tuesday, before taking a World Series-induced break on Oct. 27.

1. John Jacob says:

The second episode of Grandfathered was VERY boring to everyone in my household. Not really a single laugh out loud moment. The Grinder seems to have a better cast and is more enjoyable overall IMHO.

• Nicole says:

It’s actually opposite in my house. We prefer Grandfathered to Grinder. We haven’t missed either since they premiered and I see both of them becoming a staple in my tv schedule.

• florianques says:

Same as Nicole here, I widely prefer Grandfathered. The Grinder didn’t hook me, I hate that everyone seems to support Rob Lowe’s character because he really isn’t a lawyer. I know that all the comedy is based on that, but it really didn’t take on me. Grandfathered, on the other hand, is somewhat heartwarming and reminds me of the ill-fated About a boy.

2. 1mars says:

Wow, Fox has just given up.

• SayNay says:

I don’t know that they have much to replace it with, so is probably a move to tide them over until the end of the season and they can see if it grows or what pilots are on the table.

3. Ellinas1978 says:

This says a lot about the state of comedies on TV.

4. Mr. Tran K says:

The Grinder is a much better sitcom than Grandfathered but how can John Stamos juggle both his new sitcom and Fuller House.

• Timmah says:

I’ve no idea. I’m still trying to figure out why people think Stamos is talented.

• Ray says:

Strongly disagree. I think it’s the other way around.

• Mr. Tran K says:

What’s the problem Ray? You’re like 51% of a complainer and 49% of a whiner. I’m going to hurt my feelings if I see one mean comment out of someone.

• Ram510 says:

I’ve been wondering the same thing. I guess he’ll be a recurring role? But this has always made me feel like Grandfathered would have more of an uphill battle to be renewed if it had low ratings just cause Stamos could easily just be full time on Fuller House.

5. Gerry says:

Haven’t enjoyed either, sorry.

6. Sarah T says:

I like them both. They both have strong casts (I like the supporting characters on both series) and the writing seems good. It takes a while for comedies to find their feet. Hopefully Fox will give both of these a full season.

7. Big Mike says:

The Grinder Rests.

8. Timmah says:

Yes! The Grinder is the best of the new shows IMO, and it’s not even close.

9. Guy says:

I stopped watching Grandfathered after the premiere. It wasn’t very good and I just don’t see the appeal in John Stamos. The Grinder, on the other hand, is a pleasant surprise. It’s definitely a breath of fresh air and I’ve been enjoying it so far.

10. Liz says:

Surprising, but happy news! We prefer the Grinder to Grandfathered, but I’m glad both are getting a chance.

11. That is good there have been rumors that Tom Welling was called to the producers of The Grinder have you heard anything about his doing something with show

12. Arvin says:

Modest ratings? More like 0.1 away from going fractional LOL

13. kmw says:

This must tell us that FOX likes the seven day numbers over live because both shows numbers have gone down bad, although to be fair not as bad as Utopia

• Guy says:

It also could just be that nearly everything on Fox’s current schedule (aside from Empire) is performing poorly. Minority Report is DOA, Scream Queens is a bust, Bones and Sleepy Hollow are withering, and Gotham has dropped since last season to just barely decent ratings. Of their new shows, only Rosewood has managed decent ratings thanks to being paired with Empire, although it has been eviscerated by critics. Fox can’t just cancel everything. They may as well throw some support behind these two new comedies since they at least have good reviews.

14. Tara17 says:

Two solid sitcoms, good job Fox!

15. Chris says:

Grandfathered is boring and not funny.

16. KC says:

2 great shows! Fantastic!

17. prish says:

The Grinder is charming and fun to watch. I sit glued to the tube, while the husband can’t relate. I worked in the legal field as an office worker, some years ago, and the lighthearted shows capture the actual mood, i.e. The Grinder, Benched, Suits, My Cousin Vinny, etc. It is all about sticking the finger into the levee/dyke, and everyone in the legal field is in it together. I like how The Grinder mixes family into it. (a little Dutch boy, sticking his finger in the levee spouting water, saved everyone from drowning in a middle-ages story…hey, the Dutch gave us Santa Claus, too)

18. Blurgh says:

I watched about 3 minutes of Grinder before turning it off. It’s beneath Rob Lowe.

19. D Peters says:

Maybe the other viewers are like me – I have found myself waiting to see if the show is going to make it before beginning to watch. So many of those shows I enjoyed have been canceled that I just get disgusted with the decisions of the powers that be. . .

20. TV Viewer says:

I really enjoyed the pilot of this show but now it seems to have made a turn. Who doesn’t father someone for 20 years and now pretty much live with the family. The mother never found anyone – how sad – waiting on him to come home. I thought the mom died and him and his daughter were homeless. Moving a child into his bachelor pad would have been hilarious. This show just isn’t realistic and this episode will be my last.