Empire Ratings

Ratings: Empire Slips for Fourth Straight Episode

Fox’s Empire this Wednesday drew 12.2 million total viewers and a 4.7 rating (per finals), down 7 and 8 percent week-to-week and marking a fourth straight decline since its boffo Season 1 finale.

Opening Fox’s night, Rosewood (5 mil/1.4) slipped 14 and 12 percent.

Elsewhere in the ratings….

CBS | Survivor (9.1 mil/2.2) gained two tenths, while Criminal Minds (9.1 mil/1.7) and Code Black (7 mil/1.2) stabilized.

NBC | Mysteries of Laura (6.9 mil/1.0) and SVU (6.2 mil/1.5) each dipped a tenth, while Chicago P.D. (6.6 mil/1.5) was steady.

THE CW | Arrow (2.5 mil/1.0) slipped 7 and a tenth (but is up 6 and 25 percent versus last season’s Episode 2), while Supernatural (1.9 mil/0.8) dipped  a tenth.

ABC | The Middle (7.1 mil/2.0) and Modern Family (7.9 mil/2.7) were flat,  The Goldbergs (6.4 mil/2.0) and black-ish (5.7 mil/1.8) each dipped a tenth, while Nashville (4.5 mil/1.1) ticked up 5 percent and a tenth.

1. Bigdede says:

Not surprised by Empire.

• Coach Taylor says:

Empire still has the highest rated show on the major channels. That 4.6 is unreal for a fox show dropping or not

• Erika says:

But not for long.

• rinaex says:

It’s not good, though, that it’s lost two full rating points, and that after only sliding by a couple of tenths last week, it dropped half a rating point this week. I suspect that people are choosing to DVR it vs watching it live, but that also means that it’s not appointment viewing for a lot of people, and they feel they can wait until later to catch up.

• rinaex says:

*two full rating points since the premiere.

• Onevoice says:

I stop watching because it gotten uncomfortably gay. I do not have anything against the LGBT (I have gay friends lol), but I don’t feel comfortable as a man to see two man kissing and having sex. First season was acceptable, but this season they take out the drama, business, music and filled it up with a bunch of unnecessary characters and gay scene. “1 reason for the decline”

• Jooshua says:

How do you hang out with your gay friends? Can’t imagine you feel comfortable around them.

• aa says:

Yeah, saying that you have gay friends is like racist, white people saying they have black friends.

• Annie says:

What show are you watching? Other than the first episode, we have not seen two men kiss. In fact, we’ve hardly seen Jamal interact with his boyfriend. We certainly have not seen them having sex. In fact, it can be argued that in comparison to last season, Jamal has been backburnered, and has not been given the amount of screentime or storyline advancement as his two brothers.

• Jim says:

There was way more gay content at the end of last year when the show was at its highest — Jamal and Ryan having sex in inn the office while gospel music was playing, even. Gay content has been part of Empire from the beginning. Last year Jamal’s storyline was all about him being gay, coming out, and accepted.

• Dee says:

When men say they don’t like beginning around gay men,they’re afraid of their sexual desires. Also for the show it’s still a winner. The beginning of it rating was very high, cause some people took off, in some business have break rooms where they slipped off to watch it. One more all episodes are not going throw everything out. Some excitement have to save.

• SJ says:

You’re right on the money.. I’m 100% in agreement

• pj says:

Although I am female; I feel as you do.Loved the first season, after not really feeling it in the first two episodes. Was more or less bored with the season opener and haven’t been able to sit through an entire run since. After working in the bar & beverage industry for 20 years, I have worked with and made many gay friends. Whenever we’d hang out, we respected each other. It worked even better with the males b/c we would go out on “dates” and it was understood that we’d come in together but may not leave together. Be we looked out for each other. Just don’t like to “SEE” it on commercial television.

• Jim says:

I’m not that worried, because of the baseball playoffs conflict. If Empire is still dropping after that then I’ll be worried. The quality of the writing has been strong this season except for Episode 2.

• T says:

its in a good slot with really no competition. But its a stereotyped soap opera. People are going to tire of it.

• Ellinas1978 says:

It would have been difficult to sustain it to begin with but the show is not improving either (if not getting somewhat repetitive). And they increased the amount of episodes by 33%?

2. Erika says:

This year’s ratings looks depressing and sad.Spring ratings is goona be ugly and more depressing. :(

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

And yet there has never been such a plethora of good and great TV options. Call me an optimist but I don’t see them all getting cancelled by December.

(Also, another friendly reminder: One (1) user name per IP address, thank you so much.)

• Coach Taylor says:

It just has to be people not watching live. At least I hope that to be the case.

• TracyWeiss says:

Exactly what it is. Opening ep of season 2 set Live +30 records. Rest of eps will fall in the same. MLB payoffs and other stuff to do. Will watch empire this weekend on no ads hulu.

• Erika says:

Are you sure?BTW have you notice that its a fourth or fifth week I think and still,none of the new shows got canceled.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

You have tried your best, though. Chin up.

• Ellinas1978 says:

Minority Report is basically cancelled. They have nothing better to put at that time slot so they are allowing them to show what they have filmed. To me that reads like a cancellation.

• Ellinas1978 says:

Network TV releases fewer and fewer excellent new shows. I’ll give you that much. But there is cable, HBO/Showtime, Netflix.

3. Coach Taylor says:

At this rate Survivor may make it past season 40. Incredible the way it keeps he ratings week after week. This season has been one of the best! Returning players, while not for everyone, is so entertaining as they all play so hard. Not sitting back and floating around doing nothing. Next season I know is all new players but another all-star season would be nice to see.

• wrstlgirl says:

I’ve never missed an episode of Survivor, kinda sad isn’t it, lol. I wouldn’t mind an all-star season as long as they don’t bring back the same people. IMHO twice is enough.

• Coach Taylor says:

I agree twice is enough. As nice as it was to see Boston Rob win a few years ago…it taking him 4 times to do it was kind of sad in a way. I feel like if they do an all-star season we will be seeing players we have already seen twice, if not more. This second chance season was unique, I wonder if they will try it again with some others as I bet that list of whom they wanted to bring back was greater than what they ultimately settled on. Or another Blood vs. Water but where its returning players on one tribe and the loved ones on the other. The 2nd B vs. W was a fail IMO

4. wrstlgirl says:

I still love the show but am finding myself really not giving a damn about some of the new characters. It’s a bit boring from the excitement of last season. Just my two cents.

• Sally McLinn says:

The problem with Empire is there is no one to “like” really like. I’ve bonded with all the characters of the Good Wife and would miss them terribly. Haven’t gotten to the point with Empire. They’re making Andre the sympathetic one, so maybe that will work.

• Annie says:

I think that people liked Jamal during the first season. I also think that people liked Cookie because she was this great mixture of strength and vulnerability. People also seemed to like Jamal and Cookies relationship and the relationship between Jamal and Hakeem. I think that has changed this season. Jamal’s sudden and unexplained change is a major problem. I agree that Andre could be the sympathetic one, but he needs more screen time, and it would be a great loss of what he and Rhonda were during season one.

5. Boiler says:

Although I hate current demo was nice to see Nashville tick up in that number. Now they need to somehow do some uplifting episodes. Love the show but it has been depressing this season. I think Modern Family has been great this year.

6. Neemo says:

drip drop drip drippity drop

7. DD says:

I like Empire the whole “Police are bad” thing pissed me off

• TracyWeiss says:

why? it’s an issue in their community. They jumped on don lemon and rev al in season opener for their issues. especially Lemon.

• DarkDefender says:

Cookie’s comment “if I die in police custody it is not a suicide” rings true to what is happening in the United States right now. Empire is nothing, if not topical about the harsh realities of life in the black community.

• Annie says:

I don’t think that’s the stance that they are taking. The producers risked alienating viewers in different camps. If they failed to talk about an issue that is a serious problem in our country today, people would be upset, if they talked about it, some would accuse them of trying to get ratings by playing on a hot topic, while others would accuse them of stoking the flames. It was a no win situation.

8. I knew SVU was going to finish FOURTH AGAIN! This is really crazy. I guess as long as it stays above a 1.0(as someone else said) it will be fine. MOL went down to a 1.0 AND NBC ORDERED 5 MORE EPISODES! They ordered scripts, but they usually make them into episodes when they do that. MOL KEEPS DROPPING. AND THEY WANT TO MAKE MORE OF IT! This is insane. Debra Messing must have some very incriminating pictures of somebody at NBC! I’d say “Send in the Clowns”, but they’re already running NBC, and they’re making me cry.

9. Mr. Tran K says:

Hope Code Black won’t last that long even though I still can’t stand CBS for their grueling prime time schedule that has continue to be an issue and becoming on top for 10 straight years. This could make room for POI whether or not it should fill the void in the 10 pm Wednesday night time slot if Code Black gets canceled.

10. Coal says:

I think we can stop willing Code Black to cancellation so it can hopefully be replaced by Person of Interest. I think 1.2 is the new 2.0 Yes/No ?

• rinaex says:

I think most shows above a 1.0 will get renewed. The interesting thing will be if we have fractional shows on the major networks (except the CW) in the 0.8-0.9 range considered renewable for the 2016-2017 tv season.

11. Jake says:

Rosewood is horrible. I LOVE Morris Chestnut but…no, this isn’t working. Place any show in front of (still dominant) Empire and it will get halfway decent numbers. And speaking of (still dominant) Empire, how insensitive was it for the writer of that episode to have Cookie scream “If I die in police custody, I did not commit suicide!” given the state of relations between police officers and people of color (not just African Americans, i.e. Sandra Bland but also Native Americans, ie. Sarah Lee Circle Bear)? Very disappointed, though the episode was ok.

• Mr. Tran K says:

If only Rosewood would have been the first new show of the Fall TV season to get canceled.

• Annie says:

I didn’t see the line as being jokey, or used to get a laugh. Even if people did laugh, the point was to get people think about a serious issue. They were not making light of the subject.

12. B says:

not really surprised by empire’s falling numbers, last season the show toed the line between soap opera and primetime drama whereas now the show seems over dramatic

13. Dean says:

Though its ratings are no where close to say Empire’s it still warms my heart that CPD is the top show at least in the broadcast network department at 10. Diffrent standards I guess.

14. KC says:

I predict Empire will keep falling….it was the ‘it’ show, now people are looking elsewhere.

15. Annie says:

Empire’s episode was good, but the ratings slide is not surprising. There has been very little character development this season, and the storylines that exist are in a holding pattern. The worse part is that it has been hard to relate to the characters this season. There is no one to root for. Not even Cookie.

• Jax&Juice's Girl says:

I only saw the first 10-15 min of the ep. last night…I try to watch it but I just can’t. Empire is def. feeling the S2 slump w/the ratings dropping.

16. TraciWeiss says:

Live TV watching is not representative of a shows popularity. Empires Live + 30 on ep 1 of this season set ratings records. The amount of cord cutters has increased greatly. I haven’t watched any show live, other than sports, since the advent of the dual tuner dvr way back. I never miss empire, but I have never seen it live. Hulu w/ no ads is my new spot for shows. Probably watch it this weekend. MLB playoffs, and other stuff going on. Empire came on last year when many shows were in hiatus, and it was new.

• Jax&Juice's Girl says:

That’s true it was a new show but with this season the expectations were SUPER high but right now the storylines is almost ”about” the same thing over and over. People are starting to get tired if it.

• Annie says:

While it’s true that more people are watching the shows via DVR or some other type of streaming service, I do believe that drops in live viewership are an indication that people are not invested in a show. And the more people abandon live viewing, the smaller the overall numbers will get, and that includes the 7 day numbers.

17. Jane says:

Let’s hear it for Supernatural! For an 11 year old show it just keeps hanging in there.

18. mika02 says:

Haven’t watched Empire all season since epi 1. Truth be told I would rather Watch ABC Comedies. Now if they moved Blackish and paired it with FOB on TuesdayI would be a happy camper. I would watch Empire live since I am not the biggest Modern Family fan.

19. Mr. L says:

If only they would stop trying to turn Lucious into freaking Batman, I’d considering following the next episodes on the regular. The way it is right now? All the backwards-rolling is starting to affect my eyesight.

20. Emor says:

I know we all enjoy the “cancellation game” every season, but it is time for it to retire. The tv universe is just not the same anymore. Minority Report is a prime example of this. Essentially it has been cancelled…but since most shows are now owned by the respective network that airs it, there is NO reason to not air the show. You have already spent the money, so you might as well get some of it back, even with low ratings. AND THEN, the network won’t officially say it’s cancelled until contractually obligated. So to say who is the first show to be ‘cancelled’ is a misnomer. Basically no one fails now…they just don’t succeed!

21. Jamey says:

Wouldn’t sports also eat into the drop in numbers…

22. Nicolas. says:

I’m actually surprised that CW ratings are not dropping harder.

23. :) says:

All of this negative Empire talk and focus on major factorrs. 1. No show had a great night last night. When stable is good it was just a light viewing night. 2. There is great weather in most of the country. People are enjoying it because some of realize we will soon be trapped by cold, snow, and rain. 3. We weren’t expecting any OMG moments last night. Nothing was previewed and we all know the good stuff will happen in Nov. That aside the body in the DA’s car was OMG and gave me nightmares. The ratings will go back up and those hoping for the show to fail will have to live with it.

• :) says:

Oh and i forgot about sports. Baseball has gotten interesting to even those that don’t watch regularly with the back to the future Cubs thing, that crazy home run and the leg break

24. Relaxx says:

I’m not surprised by Empires numbers! It’s a shame because last nights episode was the best this season. Tptb need to give more relationships and characters to root for. There’s too much flip flopping. With the larger episode order the pace was bound to slow down a little and some people may not like that. Nowadays it takes a lot for people to watch shows live. Right now I only watch a few shows live and Empires still one of them but I stopped with The Walking Dead and others.

• Annie says:

I’d love it if they spent more time developing the relationships between Michael and Jamal, Rhonda and Andre, and the interpersonal relationships between the family members.

25. kmw says:

Wow interesting numbers. Not really surprised about Empire but its still doing much better than anything else. Survivor just will not quit, Chicago. P.D did alright and I am surprised Nashville edged up

26. Liz says:

Supernatural was fantastic last night. I don’t know what’s in the water in the writers room but keep it up. Best two episodes in a long time.

27. Williams says:

The show is nothing like it was last season.. The writing is so horrible and PLOT of the story line does make any sense it seem like amateur wrote the story line.I hate the acting and the only person that seem to be acting is the older brother. I’m not a fan at all.

28. Williams says:

Well I don’t care about who’s gay or straight as long as it is a good story line… The storyline sucks and the PLOT does make any sense. The new coming actor don’t know how to act and it seem that he trying to make the gay son the center of the show but he is boring and not the best singer he’s ok but not great.. I’m going stop watching….

• Annie says:

That’s interesting. Some would argue that the main storyline last season centered on Jamal’s sexual orientation, or more specifically, Lucious’ issues with Jamal’s sexual orientation. Of the three brothers, Jamal was the most developed character, he had most of the songs, and he is the one who spent the most time with all of the other characters.

In contrast, this season Jamal has not had a lot to do. Out of the sons, Hakeem has received the bulk of the screentime, and is the only one who has had an ongoing storyline.

• ChrisGa says:

Yeah, it’s hilarious how so many are going on about how “gay” the show is this season when the gay content was far heavier in season one. Personally, i just think this season has been wildly underwhelming; I’ve yet to watch an episode this season that was as good as even the weakest episode from season one(not that there were any). I’ve yet to watch last night’s episode and, frankly, I’m in no hurry to based on what I’ve seen from the previous three.

• Annie says:

I understand, but the fourth episode is better than the previous three. There is still the problem that while the episode is good, at the end you are not left with a feeling of “I can’t wait to see what happens next week.” Empire made sure that people had that feeling last year. This season it’s almost like the episodes are self contained, and may or may not have any impact on the rest of the season.

• NurseJazz says:

This season is still about gay content, only from a different angle. They seem determine to put down the church by rejecting and playing down Andre faith and beliefs. They also need to get Andre some better fitting suits and Becky a better weave.

29. Grace M says:

Wait until November when there’s no Football or Baseball on TV.

30. Nicole says:

Happy the middle is pulling good numbers. Last nights moment, where Brad came out to Sue was a very sweet and perfect moment for that show. They handled it better than I could have imagine d it myself. Well done on the acting and writing.

31. Lynn says:

Empire ratings drop while still OWNING Wednesday nights *boomshakalaka*

32. MyExBFF says:

I adored the first season, but it feels like completely different writers in season two. It lacks nuance. Lucious has morphed into Shug Knight. Many of the other characters have been pushed into stereotype and caricature. They’ve all but destroyed all believability with Boo Boo Kitty. Even at it’s most fractious in season 1, i rooted for the characters. I wanted to see them win. Now…meh. I hope it finds its way again soon. It has the potential to be truly epic.

PS…I truly love seeing Andre Royo on tv. he is breath-takingly talented.

33. SZima says:

I’m not at all surprised about Empire’s ratings drop. The first episodes of the season have been mediocre, at best. I hope things pick up soon. Maybe they need to concentrate less on the “guest appearances” and more on storyline featuring the actual stars of the show.

34. Kelly Ryan says:

Good. Glad their ratings are dropping. This is classic TRASH tv. Tired of the gay agenda and lifestyle being pushed down our throats. #abomination #period

35. t r 2 says:

Maybe it’s because more people are realizing that it’s really just badly recycled “Dynasty”, and Cookie ain’t no Alexis.

36. Eric says:

The gay story line is just too much for viewrs at this time. It has gone from showing a realistic portrayal of life to a promotion of an alternative lifestyle.

37. Ella says:

People don’t like Jamal not being on Cookie’s side, perhaps? Terrence Howard is a fantastic character but his character hardly has any redeeming qualities. Jamal was a gem who he’s tarnishing.

38. Jan Brown says:

I loved Empire, Season one. Season two..I stopped watching when they had a” Black Lives Matter”, “Police are bad” tone. If I want to see that I can watch the news.

39. Tony says:

The gay sex scene while gospel music was being played was to much for me. I tried to support but I couldn’t stomach anymore. They lost me that night.

40. Judy Bowie says:

It’s disgusting to force anyone to watch gay people interact on cable TV. It’s not good anymore it’s turning into a show and story line about a gay son and his mates. No good!

41. Val Jones says:

I am not enjoying this season as much 1) I don’t like what they have done with Anika’s character. She’s not believable anymore, the writers have her all over the page, no consistency. 2)The music is not as good this season 3) They are rushing through story lines too fast. 4)Cookie’s wardrobe sucks this season and 5) Too much switching back and forth between character relationships. Basically I think this season has been a train wreck. I watch it I can if not I catch it on Hulu, where as the first season I made a point to watch it on TV.