My Best Friend's Wedding ABC Comedy

My Best Friend's Wedding Sequel Series in Development at ABC

If you’ve said a little prayer for My Best Friend’s Wedding to live on in some form, that prayer has been answered.

ABC is developing a single-camera, half-hour comedy that will serve as a sequel to the 1997 Julia Roberts film, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

In the big screen rom-com, Julianne (played by Roberts) secretly tries to sabotage the wedding of her old friend/longtime crush Michael (Dermot Mulroney) to a woman (Cameron Diaz) Julianne thinks is wrong for him.

Ron Bass, who wrote the movie, will pen the script with Jessica Amento (Sonny With a Chance). Bass also will executive-produce with Jerry Zucker and Janet Zucker, who produced the movie.

Will you watch the ongoing adventures of Julianne, the wedding-meddler? Sound off in the comments!

1. Spence says:

I said a prayer that remakes and reboots of movies and shows would stop flooding TV. I guess that prayer hasn’t been answered.

• Julie says:

Yet another example that Hollywood is officially out of original ideas. At least NBC was smart enough to dump Coach. The only show they should be bringing back is 24 as long as they can match the last season of 24: LAD.

• Temperance says:

I think there are times when a remake or sequel would be a good idea (like Westwood, on the appropriate HBO), but often, it seems like it’s only got a title going for it, and that’s never enough.

2. Bella says:

How can you make a series out of this that could last longer than one season if that?

• Season one, they date. Season two, they plan the wedding, ending with a marriage. Season three, they try to get pregnant, ending with conception. Season four, the pregnancy, ending with the birth of the child. Season five, the child’s first year.

• rarefied says:

Well, if it’s a sequel to the movie, then it will probably have to do with Julia Roberts character finding someone.

3. Ray says:

In th immortal words of Kelly Bensimon, “Staaaaaahhhhp!”

4. Boiler says:

ABC has given up on many comedies too early. If they had stuck with some of them we wouldn’t need something this dumb

5. MFL says:

Where could that movie possibly go that would warrant a series….all these remakes & reboots are getting out of hand

6. SayNay says:

This doesn’t even make sense. The whole point of the movie is the wedding. Happily ever after or never after the movie is another show entirely. Want to make a Julia Roberts romcom into a tv show, try Notting Hill. You probably could get a few good seasons out of that.

7. Gage says:

Another movie adapted in a TV series, yawn…….

8. Lauren says:

Who was asking for this?

9. JmR says:

Michael was actually name of Dermot Mulroney’s character. George was her gay friend played by Rupert Everett.

10. DramaMomma says:

This would be a lot more interesting if it was the prequel of Michael and Julianne when they met in college. Way to ruin one of the few movies where the beautiful leading lady (who acts likes a crazy woman through most it) doesn’t get the man (rightfully so).

• Marissa says:

Even though I’m against the majority of reboots and such, IF they were going to do this, your idea is definitely the better take on it. I actually might watch that. My Best Friend’s Wedding has always been one of my favorite movies, I really don’t want to know what happened after the wedding!

11. Lizo says:

Interesting. An odd choice. But it remains on of my favourite movies to this day, so I’ll definitely check it out.
    KIMMIEEE

12. which you can then effectively use to fuel your exercise regimes.
    Depending upon the structure of your family,
    this could be a crucial factor. The sudden reduction may cause
    other health issues and it doesn’t last for longer.

13. N says:

Can’t they think of something original?

14. Jared says:

Sounds like another movie to TV reboot nobody was asking for.

15. Matty Si says:

What is it going to be called? “My Wedding to My Best Friend” ?

16. mollytanner says:

They should get back Rachel Griffiths, Carrie Preston and Christopher Masterson.

17. Wendy says:

My Best Friend’s Wedding is probably my favorite movie of all time. But I see no point in this at all. Unless they can somehow get Dermot Mulroney to sign on and sing “The Way You Look Tonight” on that river cruise on a weekly basis.

18. Whatevah says:

Actually I wouldn’t mind seeing this. This is one of my favorite movies and the restaurant sing a long is my favorite scene!

19. DarkDefender says:

This is a bad idea. I’d be surprised if it actually makes it to series.

20. Elisha says:

Dermot Mulroney’s characters name was Michael. George was her gay best friend

21. emy26 says:

i hope michael divorces kimmy in this one and gets with julianne instead