Hayden Panettiere Nashville Season 4

Nashville's Hayden Panettiere Takes Medical Leave, Production 'Adapting'

Nashville production is “adapting” to the sudden departure of star Hayden Panettiere, who is currently seeking treatment for postpartum depression, a source confirms to TVLine.

On Tuesday, People.com reported that the actress “is voluntarily seeking professional help at a treatment center as she is currently battling postpartum depression.” According to a Nashville insider, Panettiere was about to start work on Season 4’s ninth episode (slated to air on Nov. 18). It remains unclear if the show will temporarily write out her character, Juliette, or postpone filming of her scenes until she returns.

“It’s a fluid situation,” says the source. “But production continues.”

Panettiere gave birth to daughter Kaya last December.

1. french5851 says:

I hope she finds what she needs… it’s a hard thing to go through.

2. Tom says:

Life immitates art or vice versa. I hope Hayden gets all the help she needs and returns home to her baby and back to work very healthy.

• sawyer says:

That’s is bad news. I am glad she is getting help for PPD. However she is my favorite character on the show. Honestly Hayden makes that show. She has the best lines and she is a great actress. I don’t know if I can continue to watch without Juliet Barnes.

• Lizo says:

She’ll be back though. And maybe they’ll delay filming her scenes until she comes back to work, in which case she may only miss an episode or two. And that’s manageable

• zac says:

When she sgets through this, she’ll be back She has voiced how much she loves Nashville when she was asked why she wasnt on Heroes Reborn.

• I understand how you feel. I for one will not be watching any episodes she is missing. I don’t care enough for the rest of the cast to watch especially Rayna & Deacon.

• terric7 says:

Well I do. I am tired of watching Juliette destroy herself and acting like a brat demanding as if she was a God. I want to see more of Deacon and Rayna.. I also don’t want production to stop. This is my favorite show and I had to wait months for you to put the show back on. Let it be a regular TV series where we can see it every week.

3. Hmmmm says:

It almost seems cruel of the show’s writers to have her character going through the same thing, especially since she has been vocal about her struggles. Hope she gets the treatment she needs.

• Kat says:

I was wondering if this was cruel or not. On one hand, it does seem to be but on the other, she seems to want to bring awareness to PPD and the show is doing that. I hope Hayden and “Juliette” start to recover soon.

• johnhelvete says:

It is entirely possible that Panettiere wanted the PPD story line for Juliette this season. In some ways it might have been more difficult for her to play the “perfect mom” on set during the day and than go home to her own baby and have these issues, I could imagine where that might actually make her real life PPD worse.

• shutuprob says:

I would hazard a guess that when Panettiere’s PPD started to become an issue a couple of months ago, the showrunners and Panettiere discussed how to handle the possibility of her taking some time off if she needed to and that’s why the PPD storyline was added — as an escape hatch just in case she did need to take the time off.
        I know from my experience doing live theater (stage management, dramaturgy and other backstage roles) and then looking back on cast photos years later, it doesn’t matter what the storyline of the show is, you’re always going remember what you were going through in your personal life when you were doing the given show, so it’s not as if this season’s episodes of Nashville weren’t going to remind her of her PPD if they hadn’t written it into the show. The context of the storyline is largely irrelevant to your personal memories of all of the aspects of your life at the time being associated with that show. When Panettiere has worked through it enough to go back to the show, she’ll likely find the fact that her storyline *does* deal with PPD to be cathartic in some way.

4. MiaB says:

Sending love and prayers for healing Hayden’s way.

5. Mary says:

I wish her the best and I am glad she is seeking the help she needs. Many Women experience this, and hopefully her putting it out there will prompt some to do the same.

6. Boiler says:

Best wishes Hayden. To the cruel remarks, I don’t think Hayden would do the characterization if she wasn’t comfortable with it

7. R says:

Happy to see her take the time she needs.

8. Lyn12 says:

Wow, sorry to hear this. In addition to the ordeal for her, she’s also been a real musical highlight on the show. Hope she recovers and is able to come back, too.

9. Lauren says:

This makes me want to cry. After my son was born it took me so long to feel like I wasn’t in a constant fog. I just couldn’t get out of my funk, but at the same time, I didn’t really take it seriously. In hindsight, I should have gotten outside help instead of faking it for my family for so long. I wish her the best, I’m proud of her for being so vocal about this situation that affects so many of us but we still feel like we can’t talk about it.

• luli101 says:

Yes, I feel it is a positive thing for many women that she is being honest and getting help. I struggled with this, too, and did not get help because those around me just wrote it off as fatigue and hormones. I’m sorry Hayden is going through this, but so glad she is getting help.

• Winnie says:

I agree with Lauren and luli101, such a serious issue that too many are not aware of. I had a friend go thru PPD and it was not recognized as a medical issue back then (30 some yrs ago)…hopefully they will bring it to light in the show, and her disappearance can be her going for treatment. I think this would be great to show that money and fame does not mean your life is perfect, and PPD is serious and can affect anyone.

10. Babygate says:

Wow. Prayers for her. She’s my favorite in the show. Hope she can recover fully.

11. Brigid says:

Glad she is getting help. Not something you want to ignore. I wish a full recovery for Hayden.

12. aph1976 says:

First i hope Hayden gets all the help that she needs because her acting career will always be there.As for Nashville, i think they might write off Juliette for a few episodes by having the character maybe go missing or something.Then the other characters could worry about where she is and what she’s doing.Then when the show brings Juliette back they could have her say she went to get help for her postpartum depression and now she’s a little better.

13. Lizo says:

My full support behind Hayden, glad she’s getting help. I hope the production team at the show (and network) is being as supportive as they seem.

14. Jess says:

I feel for her.I remember when I gave birth to my first child, I was going through hell.Back then I didnt know it was PPD, for me it was the endless trail of misery. I wish I had medical help then, but it all came down eventually on its own.I know she ll be fine soon, and I hope to see her up and working again.

• Sheila says:

Sorry you had to go through that. Is it something that hits right after giving birth, or does it sneak up on you? How long did it last?

15. MattySi says:

It’s crazy how life in imitating art. At she is getting the help she needs to get over this hurdle. Good for her. Best of luck.

16. Elissa says:

I hope she gets better soon. Poor her. Honestly, from everything I have read online, the writers have not done a very good job at showing us a REALISTIC case of PPD. From the spoilers floating around online things only get much, much worst for Juliette in the upcoming episodes and if Hayden has been openly talking about having PPD…..I don’t know. I’m just not impressed. It feels like they had the opportunity to shed light on an important issue and failed to do so. Kind of like the donor storyline: donate an organ, then die of a completely unrelated issue and be harvested. This is my ultimate favorite show, but I really just feel like if they knew she was struggling with PPD, they could have done things differently for Juliette – I find it a little insensitive of them. (And anyway there’s already enough drama and bad things going on for every character right now – it isn’t like what is coming is absolutely necessary. )

• cookies4andi says:

Wow I felt the same.
      Everything you are talking about I feel too.
      Hope she gets the rest she needs and can return to what she loves to do.
      She is an amazing actress.
      She imerges herself so deeply when she acts.
      Maybe too much…(art and reality )

17. Josh says:

I wonder if having to go to work and get in character and experience it all again made things worse for her?

Best of luck to her!

18. leo21 says:

I wish Hayden the best and hope Juliette gets help too. It’s an important story but it’s also one that’s hard to watch.

19. bar says:

Any chance this is an elaborate cover to get her to film some Heroes scenes? Silly question of course, but it would be a win-win. Hayden wouldn’t have to be going through this.

20. Sandra says:

I think she should do what she loves to help find her way back…sing sing sing! She will be back not the same but better than the same! :) Wishing all the best for her.

21. Tanj says:

I wasn’t aware that postpartum can trigger when child is soon a year old ..or was she hiding it and struggling this long

22. So Happy says:

I wish her and her family all the best ♡

23. Cathy Gardiner says:

Hayden has made a ton of money, she can take this time off to raise her baby and claiming an illness keeps her from being fired. There is no reason why she would have any type of depression she has everything !!!

• lillihayes says:

Please, tell me you are kidding. Depression doesn’t discriminate against those with a wonderful job or wealth or a great partner. That is a very ignorant and insensitive comment.

On an alternate note, I wasn’t aware it is the 1950’s where women must stay home and tend to their children 24/7. Staying home with her child constantly can actually aggravate post partum.

• Karen says:

You’re an idiot

24. Susan stuckey says:

Prayers for her real life recovery and hope she returns soon. Love her in this show. AbC please keep her and wish her well on her path to recovery.

25. terric7 says:

Don’t stop production, write around her. Hayden has done most of the acting the last few months with different guys. I am tired of watching her. Let’s see a wedding, etc.

26. Blondie Jeff says:

Please find a new network for Nashville it is my favorite show . I am sick of most shows on tv with the wise guy kids and their stupid talk and knowing so much about sex at a young age . I guess I like a show that is not always goofy . Hayden is so pretty I hope she get well . Let Avery and Juliet get back together . I like Rayna and Deacon and would hate to see them off the show .

27. Blondie Jeff says:

Please find a new network for Nashville it is my favorite show . I am sick of most shows on tv with the wise guy kids and their stupid talk and knowing so much about sex at a young age . I guess I like a show that is not always goofy . Hayden is so pretty I hope she gets well . Let Avery and Juliet get back together . I like Rayna and Deacon and would hate to see them off the show .