Exclusive
Chasing Life Season 3

Chasing Life Season 3: EP Reveals What Would Have Happened With April and Dominic, Beth's Baby and More

Two weeks after Chasing Life‘s cancellation — as well as April’s decision to give up the fight and live out her remaining days away from her family — TVLine has some good (and bad) news for fans of the ABC Family drama.

First, the not-so-good news: Executive producer Patrick Sean Smith confirms exclusively to TVLine that all options for a potential return have been exhausted.

“Our hope, knowing that we might not get a full third season, was that we might get the opportunity to wrap everything up in a two-hour movie or in a couple of episodes — but the network decided not to do that,” Smith tells TVLine. “As far as trying to take the show elsewhere, I don’t think that would have made a lot of sense.”

Now, for the good news: In the interest of providing closure for fans, Smith agreed to reveal what the future might have held for April, her family and friends — including whether or not she would stick with her plan to die in Italy. So take a deep breath, then read on for all the details:

TVLINE | Were you planning any sort of time jump after April’s decision in the finale?
It wouldn’t have been a huge time jump. We always knew that someone would come to Italy and talk some sense into April, and we always felt that would be Sara. She’d have the biggest impact on April. But we were also imagining the possibility of a Leo dream that would inspire her to pick up that sword again and get back into the battle. Either way, she would get back to Boston and go through with the transplant. We’d probably have to do a time jump from that, and we would see that it’s successful.

TVLINE | So she would live? I know in the original format, she beats cancer, but then gets hit by a bus or something.
[Laughs] Yeah, she was in a car accident or something. We were never beholden to the original. We always were able to pick and choose the elements we wanted to keep in our version. I had creative partners in this process [including fellow EP Joni Lefkowitz], and I don’t know if we were really all on the same page about how the series would end, but I think it probably wouldn’t have gone like that. I don’t think we knew whether it would end with her living or dying, but we all knew she would die — whether that’s in a year or in 50 years. We’re all going to die, so we should push ourselves to live like that, and that’s what we really wanted to say with the series.

TVLINE | I feel like you stayed true to that. You didn’t always give the viewers want they wanted, but neither does life.
Absolutely. I think it might have been a little grim for some people — perhaps we should have gotten Lady Gaga on our show to have a big, sexy blood orgy to bring in more viewers — but I wouldn’t change a thing. I’m proud to have been a part of something that spoke to people who wanted and needed their stories to be heard with an honest voice.

TVLINE | Let’s talk about April and Dominic. Would they have gotten back together?
If we had a third season, we would have explored more of the complexities of the obstacles of their relationship. We were all interested in the idea that cancer was their undoing, and that they weren’t meant to be otherwise. So at the end of the day, they’d stay very close to one another, but more as friends. That seemed more interesting to us than them riding off together in the sunset, which didn’t seem realistic. It would still be an incredible, profound relationship, but one that doesn’t have to be about who gets together at the end. He would always be there for her.

TVLINE | We also would have seen April’s book come out, I imagine?
Yes, we had definitely imagined that, after the time jump following April’s transplant, we’d get to see the book released and out on shelves — and the good and bad that would come with that.

Chasing Life Season 3TVLINE | And what about Beth? I feel like she decided to keep the baby, but I could be wrong.
I was very, personally, excited about that story. We knew she would have the baby and would end up giving it up for adoption. My husband and I adopted — we have a wonderful two-and-a-half-year-old son — and had the most amazing experience with his birth mom. I learned so much from that which I hadn’t really seen on television before. That journey for Beth seemed really interesting; April would still be there to support her as her body is changing in the way that Beth had always been there for April. But in the end, she’d find a worthy couple and give the baby up.

TVLINE | Do you know if it would have been an open or closed adoption?
In my experience with our son, open adoption all the way. My husband and I still have a great relationship with our son’s birth mom, two-and-a-half years later. I think there’s something interesting in that ongoing relationship between birth mom and adoptive parents over time.

TVLINE | Moving on to Brenna, was that the end of her story with Finn? And what about Greer?
No, it was very much something that was going to drive a lot of Brenna’s story in Season 3. She’d find herself in this triangle, which she’s not any stranger to, though it would be much more complicated this time. She has this deep, profound connection with Finn — given the circumstances of the transplant — but things with Greer are just easier. Of course, if Greer was chosen, she’d have to deal with the guilt of coming in and stealing the girlfriend of a guy who may or may not be dying. Brenna and Finn were already sort of a couple interrupted because of his illness, and that would continue to grow with the return of Greer.

Chasing Life Season 3TVLINE | How would the realization that Brenna was Finn’s donor change their dynamic?
I think it would bond them even more. In our research, and we alluded to it often throughout the season, there are a lot of physical properties that change in a recipient, given the donor. We mention that he used to love cilantro, but now it tastes like soap, and Brenna was like, “It always tasted like soap.” It’s true to life that some of those characteristics change because of the transplant. A part of her will always be with him, and vice versa.

TVLINE | What about poor George? Would he be behind bars in Season 3?
In my mind, [his legal situation] was going to bring him back to the show even more. He would become involved in the investigation, but ultimately would be exonerated in any sort of criminal prosecution. He would lose his license, though, so we’d see him go through that identity crisis. He’d also lose his job in San Francisco, which would lead him back to Boston.

TVLINE | …And back to Sara?
Absolutely, and I think we hinted at that at the end of the finale. We’d see their relationship restart and continue on a much less hindered path.

TVLINE | What about Natalie? Would she finally find someone to put her first?
I think we would see her end up happily. We talked about her leaving for a couple of episodes, then coming back having found a wonderful new relationship. I was glad that we were able to arc out her character before we were canceled. Jessica [Meraz] really grew over the two seasons. She went from the mysterious girl standing by the grave in the pilot to someone making more mature decisions than any of the adults in the room with her. I was proud to see her take that journey.

TVLINE | Lastly, do you have any regrets about killing off Leo?
Absolutely not. I wouldn’t change that for a second. It gave us a deeper place to go with April. It might not have been what everybody wanted, but that’s real life.

Chasing Life fans, your thoughts on what Season 3 could have been? Drop ’em in a comment below, along with your feelings about the series’ untimely end.

1. Jill says:

Thank god they cancelled it. That sounds dreadful.

2. Cheri says:

Thanks for the wrap-up. I enjoyed the show while it was on.

3. Rebecca says:

I always wanted more of Sarah & George. Sad we aren’t going to get to see it.

4. Mehvash says:

that’s a bummer about George. I liked the way the final episode ended because I liked seeing april take back control a little bit.

5. Curly Girly says:

How dare you tease us TVLine?? There is no season 3 :-(

6. Ramona Jones says:

I think the problem is that a lot of people don’t want to watch real life when they watch TV. That might have turned off some viewers who want the happy ending after the struggle.

• Devan says:

That very true but I also feel like realness is what brought a lot of people in too! It was refreshing and it was so relatable to so many people! I’m sad they canceled it because it was a source of catharsis I think for a lot of people struggling with the same things and it helped us feel like we weren’t alone.

• Nialee says:

AGREED. Reality dose is OK but too real in fiction makes people run. They want the dream and little more lightness. I miss it though it is a great show and I imagine how it feels for all the people dealing with similar disease, family secrets, etc…

• Brooklyn says:

Clearly you have never watched greys anatomy shonda rimes kills everyone you love

7. Sarah says:

Thanks so much for the interview. I’m sad to see the show go. One question, what does “in the original format” mean in the second question. Is the show based on a movie or a book or something?

8. Alicia Gray says:

The depression is still real.

9. heather says:

Thank you so much for the wrap up. It’s interesting to see where they would’ve potentially taken us. Definitely a show that deserved to stay on air. Wonderful perspective, actors, writing, everything. Sinceriously going to miss it!

• I agree, I just binge watched both seasons on Netflix and was super sad to learn that there is no Season 3… I find it difficult to find shows that draw you in and hold you there, and Chasing Life did that to me from the Premiere right up till the end of Season 2, I was excited to see what comes next for all of the characters that I have fallen for and deeply saddened to find out I will never get to watch it play out. But I am grateful to the creators for their “wrap up”, at least I get an idea of where they would have taken this wonderful show. Why do crap shows last for years and great shows, with great actors, never get that chance?

• Terena F Clark says:

You said exactly what I would have. Thank you. The wrap up really helped and was pretty much as I expected although I was really rooting for April and Dominic. I liked Leo and how the story deepened with his character, but I always wanted April with Dominic. I was also hoping for Beth and Danny! Thanks for a good show.

• Abbi says:

AMEN noellemarie415! I so agree, it is pathetic how all these crap shows last forever but the decent ones only get 1-2 seasons!

• Deanna says:

Agree! They should bring it back as a netflix series!

• Tausha says:

Yes they should

• Isa says:

Is their some way to start a petition for fans of this show to convince Netflix that their are still enough fans of this show still interested in it. Or maybe even on OWN. I just binged watched this on Netflix and I still love this show. I hope it’s OK for a man to love this show this much. Why did a show this good not get more viewers? Sad. Nice if we can do something to bring it back by the fall of 2017. Convince Netflix or Own to carry it. How would someone go about starting a voice of fans wanting to bring this show back. Does anyone know?

• DD Hetz says:

I so totally agree with all you said. I watched it on Netflix and was excited for more episodes only to find it has been cancelled. What is with all these stupid reality shows hanging on year after year and these new awesome shows getting cancelled so quickly?? Time for me to hit the bookstore.

• Lynn says:

I agree with u completely! Just watched both seasons on Netflix in 2 weeks and I’m heart broken not to be able to see the rest of it played out. I loved these characters and what thus show stood for.

• valere says:

I just watch the while thing on Netflix too. I’m so mad now.

• Jes says:

I just binged watched this on Netflix: 33 episodes in 6 days. I want more! I heard of it but only got to see 1 episode on tv. I was so a happy to see it on Netflix but also sad because it got cancelled. This show came out one year after my cousin passed away from leukemia (24 y.o) and after I had Left temporal lobectomy for epilepsy (27 at the time) We’ve always watched medical shows and dramas and msg each other. I was sad Red Band Society, Blackbox and now this have been cancelled! (Still miss house but he had a good ending). I now msg my mother when watching medical and I’ve seen even though they are fictional dramas people are learning more from them every time! I just wished one would last!

• Scarlett Lillian says:

Ooooh I loved Red Band Society too. Why do all these heartwarming shows get cancelled??? I want more real life fiction storytelling not trashy reality shows about Kardashian Housewives. I don’t understand why the ratings aren’t there for these kind of shows like Red Band Society and Chasing Life! I miss both!

• Monica says:

Jes: I’m sorry you lost your cousin to cancer. I have lost many relatives to different types of cancer. I hope you are doing well after your procedure. I too just binge watched Chasing Life on Netflix. I can not believe it’s over. I want more too! Is there anything we can do? Ugh, I need answers, but not by reading them. I felt all the characters were fantastic. I seriously think the show would have been a bigger hit if it wasn’t at a weird time and on a weird channel. I truly forgot to watch until it was too late. Oh well. I too enjoy the fictional drams more than reality television where I wonder if people are truly that terrible to one another. I don’t have time for any of that. Life is too short! Be well girl!

• Isa says:

Monica, I’m with you. Can’t we have enough fans to convince Netflix or OWN to carry this Show. Might can have it back on air by fall of 2017. I see nearly all the comments have been from women, but I must say I’m a man who loves this show. Watched all episodes on Netflix and finished yesterday. A show this good should have got at least 4 or better 5 seasons. I know all good things must come to an end, but this definitely ended to soon. I don’t know what to do exactly, but what if thousands of fans email Netflix and Own to bring back this show. That would be a good start to bring back this show. What do you think?

• tjebbia@yahoo.com says:

Ditto

• Sue says:

I could have written exactly what you did…. I agree completely. I just watched both seasons in the last 4 days couldn’t turn it off. Then I Googled it to see if it was coming back on and found out it wasn’t – but I’m glad for the info on how it might have continued. Still crying, but I loved this

• Chelle says:

Yep, just binge watched it too!! Didn’t realize the last one of season 2 was the ACTUAL last episode. Felt the series might only go two seasons as you don’t want to take a good thing too far but did think it would at least give us a sense of closure, good or bad.

10. blanca says:

Wish this would of kept going as a movie! It would of been my fav! My Mondays are so boring now! #ilovechasinglifeforever

11. Shayla says:

I’m glad some of, I’m sure everyone’s questions, were answered but I’m still really mad about the show being cancelled. This was pretty much the only show I really enjoyed and made sure to watch it every week. Still kinda pissed at abc Family.

• Abbi says:

It seems ABC Family is canceling all the decent shows for crap shows…not really a “Family” station any more!

• vanessa says:

I totally agree. Chasing Life was the best family show they aired as well as the most realistic and the most touching. I hate this new “FreeForm” idea

12. susan garner says:

I liked that show a lot. It should have been renewed.

13. Joanne says:

I am so sad… I love this show!

14. Kara says:

Thank you for providing some insight and not leaving us hanging. I loved the show and will miss it***.

15. Loved the show, hate that it was cancelled. Would have watched every minute of the 3rd season.

16. I think they should’ve not canceled the show. I don’t understand why abc family had to cancel the show. I would’ve loved to see season 3.

17. Melissa says:

I’m sad we don’t get to see it actually play out, but I love that we got some of the answers at least of what the plans were. I just wish there were more shows like this out there.

18. Hannah says:

I’m sad that it won’t go on to a third season, it was one of the few shows that portrays real life situations, and not just hyped up drama. I liked that they didn’t just let her all of a sudden come up cancer free and live happily ever after, because real life doesn’t work that way either. Leo being killed off literally ripped my heart out and stomped it to the ground, but it makes you realize how sudden everything can change. I think this show did an amazing job at making you think about your own life, too bad it got cancelled.

19. Heidi smithson says:

I loved this show and thought it did a really good job of showing how cancer affects the entire family.

20. I’m still bummed it was cancelled even thou they killed off Leo I still loved the show and always hoped it was all just a bad dream and she would wake up in Season 3 and he would be alive an well, happens all the time I definitely would have liked a 2 hour special to finalize the show and I am sure most all CL fans would agree.

21. Mikayla says:

I am truly sad about the ending of this show. It really helped me understand and learn new life lessons every time I watched the show. I did love how the show was basic realistic and not everything always happens the way we expected or want to happen. I so glad i got at least some closure on the whole story line and where you guys were gearing towards going for. So thank you for that! But ABC family has been known to cancel the actual really amazing and powerful shows and keep some not so good ones but that’s reality itself.

• lori says:

I also got a few life lessons from watching this show–one in particular–live life w/no regrets–I find myself being bolder now and take charge of your own destination(i’m living w/an auto immune disease that WAS kicking my rear and this show gave me courage and inspired me–I took charge of my own healing and am doing much better now). I cont to watch reruns of this show and I get more inspired.

22. Sarah F says:

Thank you so much for doing this.

23. Angie says:

I think it brings a bit of closure but I’m decastated that it’s cancelled. I would have loved to see Beth keep the baby and Dom and April to unit in a relationship again and for that to enable her to keep fighting for her life. My grandmother is battling stage four best cancer and watching this show made me feel like people around the world could see the harsh realities of life and this dreadful disease and how life is with it. I am so disappointed it was cancelled and would love to see at least a finale movie or sow thing.

24. Maureen A. says:

It’s nice to know what would of happened in Season 3, but I still think the show had so much to offer and I can’t believe that it was cancelled. Shame on ABCfamily for canceling it. {humph}

25. martav says:

I loved the swho and I would have loved also 3 season.so sorry that it was cancelled

26. Adrianne says:

I will never watch another show or anything on ABC Family again to end a show so abruptly, not giving it the opportunity to tie up All the loose ends. Loved the show.
    #CHASING LIFE FAN .

27. Lorraine says:

The show should on one more season at least they should ended it the right way and I don’t think beth should havegave up her baby that in the writer eyes

28. Belinda says:

Bring back Chasing Life!!!!!! I really wanted to see at least one last episode to sum up everything :(

29. Jes says:

So sad! I loved the show. I loved the story. You felt like you knew them and could connect. Blah.

30. Tanya says:

I’m glad that at least answered most of my questions but I would have strongly preferred that they just made another season instead of letting us wonder for so long… I tried to sign that partition and it seems now that it was done for nothing

31. Lana says:

What about doing a movie or a third season on Netflix? I’d so watch it. I wasn’t crazy about Leo’s death, but I still continued to watch, because it is so like life it’s unpredictable. I’m going to miss it each week.

32. I loved this show and I’m sorry to see it go.

33. Anisa says:

Im tired of shows being canceled, better to simply not start watching them and just stick to movies, as these television studios exec don’t have a clue, it’s not always about a show, but sometimes the time slot, so change the slot or the day! Some shows are good but they cannot and will not compete with some other shows that’s just a fact! While they try to get more rating’s they will actually be losing more becuz people will stop watching the new shows not wanting to get involved only to have it dropped the next season. Instead viewers will go back to the staple shows and ignore all the new shows, thereby dropping the ratings even further. I loved this show and could see everything that they considered for the 3rd season except George losing his license, I didn’t like that idea for two reason one no one could ever prove what he did at the accident, so they couldn’t have come after his license not to mention the statue of limitation would’ve likely run out, secondly I didn’t like the idea of after years of being a doctor and protecting his brothers family that he should pay by losing his livelyhood and career becuz of the selfishness of his brother, that wouldn’t have sat well with me since I do have a career in health care and that happening might have made me stop watching the show anyway.

34. Lori says:

My God. I’m kind of glad it did get canceled now. An adoption? That doesn’t sound like Beth to me at all. I’m sure plenty of people will disagree but it just sounds like this writer is trying to play out her great experience, which granted is amazing when others go bad, on a show rather than staying true to Beth’s character.

I know I’m wrong but I still believe killing Leo off was a contributing factor to the ratings falling. I understand standing by a creative decision but it doesn’t make it any less of a stupid decision, ya know? I understand the “life doesn’t always give you what you want” explanation, it still makes me think they kind of doomed themselves that way.

I guess none of this sounds good at all other than Sara/George and Finn/Brenna. In my eyes, he doesn’t die.

The only good thing about shows getting canceled is that fans can end it how they want rather than getting canon bullsh!t.

• fiberlicious says:

I’m glad too. DomPril didn’t get sidelined by cancer, it got sidelined because the jerk dumped her for not telling him about it immediately. I don’t want to see the show continue if that’s acceptable.

Buh bye…

35. Lisa zapata says:

I really loved the show. It was something I looked forward to every week..And the show really touch me because my dad just had passed away from cancer when it started.

36. Nicole says:

Im really sad the show was canceled this all would of been great to watch. Im glad we got this interview and some answers to questions. And im really glad they stuck to April and Dom being friends. They were never meant to be, its great that she had him for a friend. And their friendship was very sweet, but Leo was her husband and true love. It was an amazing series, the stories they told were incredible. I will always love Chasing Life.

37. Nicole says:

I am devastated along with many others that this show ended, and so abruptly! I would love to see it continue on another station or on Netflix or something. It was one of the best shows on TV in a very long time. I am heartbroken:(

38. Megan says:

Being back the show. It gave so much hope. Bring it back. But change some ideas

39. Nancy Ruiz says:

I have been a chasing life fan since day one and it has also has been a tool of hope and perseverance for me after my recent lymphoma relapse . Cancer patients like me, live this drama for real everyday with our families and friends. We go through periods of anger, grief, depression, bargaining and acceptance. But we have a very important word in our lives, and that is faith. I would have loved for April To Never Give up hope. To Go For Her Bone Marrow Transplant And CELEBRATE with her family and friends Being Cancer free. It is possible! We should be giving this message to cancer patients. Miracles do HAPPEN and remission and/or being cancer free is possible. Chasing life has changed my life with positive vibes, feelings and hope. A third season would definitely open doors for cancer patients that have closed their hearts to hope. Let’s keep hope alive……..

40. Pamela says:

I never understand why the networks refuse 99% if the time to bring closure with a tv movie, they might come out even with money but they will get more loyalty from the viewers.

41. Elinor Romero says:

I would have loved another season, I like all the ideas that could have been. Great show, I will miss everyone.
    Elinor

42. Kayla says:

I’m just horribly SAD that there is no Season 3!:(

43. Courtney says:

This was an incredible show, very sad that its over!

44. Angie says:

Sounds like season 3 would have been great. I hate Chasing Life got cancelled. It was my favorite show of the week. I always looked forward to it.

45. Kat says:

I really wish season 3 would have been accepted..

For once a sitcom thst relates to real life and is not fake amd unrelatable.

Thank you for being so realistic in your writing and for giving ppl going through a hard time the drive to keep going…

46. Fatima Hashi says:

i’m happy I know can have some closure. But, would of LOVED to have seen it on the actual show! Bitter sweet I guess. Thanks for sharing though.

47. Karen Seligman says:

Everything sounds good but could have used either one more season or a two hour movie. Its sad its over cause not every show talks about cancer and what they go through but in the show you really get an idea how life is. And its different reading it in a book cause here you use your imagination but here you can really see how they look. Loved the show, they actors were great and the plot. April, Brenna and Beth were my favorite and was sad about Leo.

• Gerry says:

Heck with a season 3. This show should go on forever. In my mind I have it all mapped out on what happens to all the characters but most importantly bring Leo back!!!!! And Uncle George … the detectives show up for a totally different reason .. nothing to do with Thomas death. Sarah and George belong together too. I continue to “dream” about continuing episodes.

48. Tessa says:

I loved this show more than I thought I would… such a shame that another good series has been canceled.. ABC Family needs to stop canceling every other show after a season or 2 … it’s very dissapointing to put in dedication to watch and get wrapped up in a story line only to be cut short time after time… no wonder they have to change their name to Freeform, too many scrubbed series year after year … most people will not get invested in a series or hear about it until after 2 or 3 seasons I wish the people with the $$ would back their shows fully with some follow through

49. Nancy says:

I have no desire to watch Dapril just be “Friends”. SERIOUSLY? What the hell? He is trying too hard to appease the Leo fans. Like she can’t fall in love again EVER because of Leo? Sorry but people DO find love again.

• JaneM says:

She can find love again. Just not with Dominic.

• Nicole says:

Exactly. He wasnt saying she could never love again, but her and Dominic were never meant to be. They were always just going to be friends. Im really glad we got answers to what would of happened, but i thought the ending sufficed. It left things open but there was a sense of finality to the ending we did get. We can always re-watch the series on Netflix and relive the awesome love story that was April and Leo. :)

• Brie says:

I hated April and Dom didn’t get back together and that she ended up with Leo in the first place. I would have much rather had Dom forgive her and work things out, which was more in line with his character. He just needed time and she didn’t really give it to him. I would have preferred Leo to be the friend who helped her keep up her fight. I don’t know why everyone keeps saying April and Dom weren’t meant to be together. She told her mom that Leo wasn’t her first love. Dom was her first love. I never got the whole Leo thing, except that they had a tight bond because of each having cancer. And, yes, I thought it stunk that Leo died. What’s wrong with watching TV for a break from real life and to see happy endings? The one thing I am completely in agreement with is the disloyalty to the fans to not at least finish up with a season 3. I really enjoyed almost all parts of the show, with the exception of the youngest character being bisexual, and hate it was cancelled.

50. Audrey says:

I am sad to see no season 3. But I can say that this show was so perfectly written to the real struggle of life before,during,and with remission of cancer and the family dynamic that goes with it. Someone involved in the shows creation obviously has or had the experience personally. As a cancer warrior who is currently in remission myself,the show tugged on heartstrings because of the seriously real life struggles of normal life before you hear the 3 words that change your entire life forever. It was so refreshing to finally see a show that didn’t sensationalize or over glamorise what cancer is and what it REALLY does to you and your family,friends and your life.