Exclusive
Denzel Washington Grey's Anatomy

Grey's Anatomy: Denzel Washington Signs on for Season 12 — as a Director

Grey’s Anatomy is adding a little A-list star power in Season 12, albeit behind the scenes.

Two-time Oscar winner Denzel Washington has signed on to direct an episode of ABC’s durable medical drama, TVLine has learned exclusively.

Washington will helm this season’s ninth episode, a Stacy McKee-penned outing that is scheduled to start shooting later this month (ahead of a November sweeps debut).

Although Washington has previously directed two films — 2002’s Antwone Fisher and 2007’s The Great Debaters — this will be his first time calling the shots on the small screen.

There will be a familiar face waiting for Washington when he shows up on set: The actor is a longtime friend of Grey’s exec producer/director Debbie Allen.

1. Just one thing says:

That’s very interesting! Would be surprised if ABC didn’t try to get a cameo out of him.

2. Binali says:

Wow Grey’s Anatomy -pulling out the big guns – if he doesn’t cameo I’m going to be so upset -wasted opportunity but seriously looks like Grey’s still has some pull

3. aph1976 says:

I’m betting before the season is over Denzel Washington will be on Grey’s in some capacity in return for directing an episode.Plus maybe that way Grey’s may not have to pay him that much to direct if makes a cameo appearance on the show.

4. Dave says:

Isn’t episode 9 the first one back after dec/jan hiatus? Last year scandal/HTGAWM ran 9 consecutive til thanksgiving. Greys occupies the same 9 weeks, however this year like last year is preempted on October 30th for Charlie Brown Great Pumpkin. So that would leave ep 9 for the first ep back in Feb sweeps. It’s certainly possible I’m wrong, just asking. It would be a great promotional hook for their first ep to say Directed by Denzel Washington

• Sa says:

I was actually wondering the same thing. Episode 9 on Thanksgiving (nov. 26th) I don’t think so.

• Nicole says:

Could it be that Grey’s has a two hour winter finale? They are technically considered two episodes. Different writers and different directors for each hour…

How To Get Away With Murder only has 18 episodes this season, perhaps it’s finale airs the week prior.

Very curious..

5. Leah says:

Woah, go Grey’s!

6. Elissa says:

I’m not surprised that Grey’s has this sort of pull, honestly. Look at the numbers – it’s in season 12 and absolutely crushing new, buzzy shows in the key demo. And Shonda Rhimes is heavily respected in the industry. I think everyone who works on Grey’s must be incredibly proud and grateful for the success.

7. Rob G. says:

I thought Denzel was going to appear in an episode for a second !! I would enjoy even a 10 second cameo if possible.

8. T.W.123 says:

My heart stopped for like 5 full seconds before I finished reading the end of this headline. Well played, tvline. Well played.

I’ll take Denzel any way I can get him! Looking forward to seeing what he brings as a director.

9. DarkDefender says:

Given his connection with Debbie Allen, I think it may be a safe bet that Katherine figures prominently in the aforementioned episode?

10. David K. M. Klau says:

It would be amusingly *meta* for an episode or two to Special Guest Star Mr. Washington as his character from ST. ELSEWHERE, Dr. Phillip Chandler.

11. Jeremy says:

Couldn’t care less. Does matter to me who the director of an episode is,

12. Letty says:

It would be awesome if they do something like John Q with Denzel… I love him.