Jane the Virgin Season 2 Premiere Recap

Jane the Virgin Recap: Got Milk?

If you worried that Jane the Virgin‘s babynapping would cast a dark shadow over the Season 2 premiere, fret not — baby Mateo is reunited with his family 12 minutes in (sans commercials).

Sin Rosetro calls Michael to set up an exchange: the child for her dragonfly brooch, which was logged as evidence. Michael has no qualms about this off-the-books deal, even though he’s giving up the chip inside the brooch with all the faces Sin Rosetro has changed, as long as it means getting Mateo back safely. (On top of it all, he even warns his ex-partner/Sin Rosetro underling Nadine to toss her phone, on which he planted a tracker.)

Despite having just given birth, Jane insists on going with Michael and Rafael to track down the brooch, which Luisa took and placed in a box. Small problem: Luisa’s new girlfriend, Juice, tossed it and the rest of the box into the pool, thinking Luisa was still hung up on her ex, Rose. Michael and Rafael dive in to find the piece of jewelry, while Jane waddles (in a great bit of physical comedy from Gina Rodriguez) and discovers it in a drain.

With that, Rose gets her brooch back, while Jane and Rafael are reunited with their son. “And they all lived happily ever after,” the narrator says. “Well, except for Jane. And Rafael and Michael. And things are really screwed up with Luisa. And Xo and Ro. And don’t even get me started on Petra. Anyway, let’s just enjoy this moment, because it won’t last.”

For starters, Jane is still so scared and overwhelmed after the kidnapping that she worries herself into exhaustion when Mateo’s weight is down seven ounces and he won’t stop feeding. Even another lactation class — “Pick up the baby and when he opens wide, I’m going to stuff your breast into his mouth like a hamburger,” the teacher instructs — won’t help, sending Jane into a tizzy. She’s convinced that her trauma is getting in the way of her milk flow, and yet she refuses to give Mateo a bottle.

“What happened was my fault,” Jane cries to Xo. “My maternal instincts, where were they?! I just gave him to the nurse! …I just want to do this one good thing.”

Jane the Virgin Season 2 Premiere RecapAfter getting some advice from Michael (who’s a mensch) about how to assert himself among the Villanueva women, Rafael comes in with the save: Mateo is clusterfeeding, which means Jane’s milk is about to come in. The ladies rejoice, but the trouble isn’t over yet. There’s still an over-eager mob of fans and lookie-loos outside the house, hoping to catch a glimpse of the infamous pregnant virgin, who’s now trending on Twitter. (Thanks for retweeting that Amber Alert, Rogelio.) Jane storms outside and tells her former boss Sister Margaret that she’s not actually a virgin. Then a true miracle happens: Jane starts leaking milk, hallelujah!

Jane thanks Michael for everything and informs him that Rafael’s going to stay over for a couple weeks — “but like, just as the baby’s father,” she adds. “That was weird. I even don’t know why I’m telling you that.” Things get weirder (and hotter) when she walks into her bedroom and a shirtless Rafael is cradling Mateo, hoping to bond through skin-to-skin contact. The Michael-vs.-Rafael struggle is real.

Meanwhile, with all the baby drama finally over, Xo shows Jane and Alba the video from her drunken Vegas wedding to Rogelio. They, appropriately, can’t stop laughing.

Jane the Virgin Season 2 Premiere RecapAs for Rafael’s other kidnapped child (of the potential variety), Petra gets drunk, reminiscences about when she and Rafael were expecting a baby boy of their own, makes a pros (Rafael) and cons (pregnant, baby, motherhood, maternity clothes, seem like a psychopath) list, and then finally makes a decision about what to do with Raf’s sperm sample. Hoping to help her brother with Petra, Luisa lies and tells her sister-in-law that she and Rafael still have a chance and that the baby should have been hers. And so Petra decides to make it so by inseminating herself with a turkey baster! And her assistant Scott knows all about the stolen sample!

But that’s not even the biggest twist. At the close of the hour, a mysterious woman (possibly Sin Rosetro?) looks at a photo of Jane and says in a foreign language, “Let’s go after her. Now.”

Jane the Virgin fans, what did you think of the Season 2 premiere? Grade it via the poll below, then hit the comments to back up your pick.

1. I was actually relieved they didn’t spend much time with him being kidnapped. I like that they are going to deal with the aftermath of it instead. Kidnapped babies are way too heavy for a show like this!

2. taniaha says:

This was the first time I’ve watched the show – fun stuff – bonus that there was a Chad Michaels cameo as Cher marrying the parents in Vegas. And why didn’t anyone tell me Priscilla Barnes was in this?

3. JBC says:

Little disappointed with the premiere. Thought S1 flowed better . Maybe it had too much quirkiness for one episode. Just my opinion. Love all the characters & cast, but felt this episode was off somehow. .

• Alee says:

I felt the same way! Love the show, but this premiere felt rushed and hectic.

• Liz says:

I agree, I felt disappointed watching. It was little too all over the place for me. It was very jumpy, it didn’t have the flow like season one episodes. Hopefully they get back into their groove in the next few episodes.

• Sheila says:

Too much heavy baby drama. Now things can get back to where they were. I don’t think Petra’s plan is going to work out. Hope that was not Raf’s sample. Could be a machination by Lachlan or Petra’s ex from the old country.

4. Anna says:

Thought it was a good episode. Even though 12 minutes is a short time to resolve a cliffhanger like that.
    The “foreign language” was German by the way ;)

• Anna (not the same one though) says:

I think it was supposed to be German, but as a German I didn’t understand what she said. Was it “Rennen Sie. Sofort.”? That’s what I got anyway. If it was, then it’s incorrect German (as in it doesn’t make any sense and it doesn’t match the translation).

• Iris says:

I speak german as wel and it didnt register at all that it was german…americans and foreign languages i guess

• Anna (the first one) says:

Yeah it wasn’t very clear what she actually said. But I wasn’t surprised by that. Scrubs, for example, had an episode with Germans once and their sentences didn’t make any sense and sounded very wrong.
        Maybe she said “Ran an Sie.” That would have been closer to “Let’s go after her.”

5. Amanda says:

I actually liked this episode…it gave #teamMichael fans hope! Don’t get me wrong, I like Rafael, just not with Jane….I think that the new villain that’s after Jane is going to be Sin Rosetro, just in a different face…..

• helixro14 says:

I was trying to decide whether to add Jane to my dvr series queue and I read “Sin Rostro” which made my innards flinch.So I passed. Enough with the sin rostro BS. There’s so many rich possibilities for other sorts of material why go with this? Yes, I know it’s intended as a telenovela. But Sin Rostro = boring.

6. LT says:

I. LOVE. THIS. SHOW! Soooo glad it’s back, I missed it dearly.

7. Victoria says:

I think it’s really cruel for the star’s to pick Michael for Jane . I’m sure that Justin is not feeling good about this.. For me it should be Rafael much better choice for her. So much more chemistry between them. There should be a story line with Petra & Michael.
    Rafael all the way I love the show but if she picks Michael I won’t watch it anymore!! All of my
    friends feel the same way. Sorry Gina but you should watch the reruns between you Michael and Rafael… for sure you will see the chemistry between you and Rafael. Your kissing scenes were so much better LOL

8. Abigay says:

Season two is off to a great start. loved the fact that baby Mateo wasn’t kidnapped long and also how Micheal, Rafael and Jane dealt with everything and how they worked as TEAM!

9. SinRosetro says:

I don’t know why people are being negative about the premiere, it was the typical Jane the Virgin flow, which I’m glad they stuck with. Baby drama felt very very necessary.
    Side note: when Jane and her grandma laugh at Xo’s wedding video, it felt like that moment was picked up from a planned blooper to have them all laughing this much.
    And I can assure you that the German woman at the end is not sin rosetro because that would be too predictable and annoying. It’s a new villain (crossing fingers)

10. kb says:

I’m team Rafeal!

11. Dawn Harris says:

I watched the entire season 1 on Netflix in 1 weekend! Just could not get enough! I absolutely loved the narrator’s sense of humor. I like michael but I love Rafael for jane. Mateo will give him a second chance to show his own son what he lost with his father. I hope jane marries this sexy man. Looking forward to twist and turns but keeping the main characters real in their struggles. Great show!

12. Zaliha ibrahim says:

It was perfect! I loved it. My only problem is d waitin. I am not gud at it

13. Tessa says:

Okay so I stared watching Jane the virgin on Netflix.. And I finished season 1… I can’t find season 2 on there had it came out on Netflix yet?