Exclusive
Big Bang Theory Laura Spencer

The Big Bang Theory: Laura Spencer Promoted to Series Regular

Raj-oice?

The Big Bang Theory has promoted Laura Spencer — AKA Emily, lovelorn Koothrappali’s most serious girlfriend to date — to a series regular, TVLine has confirmed.

According to a Big Bang source, Spencer will be a fractional series regular in sitcom’s current ninth season. The status tweak guarantees the actress’ availability on an as-needed basis (i.e. she will not be in every episode).

Spencer has recurred on the CBS juggernaut since joining the show in Season 7.

1. zlac says:

So I have to start watching the show again. Goddamnit.

2. Alisha says:

As much as i want Raj to finally have a concrete romantic storyline, Im very meh about their relationship so far.. it needs to be fleshed out some more so that people can root for it.. Hopefully this change in her status provides for it!

• peterwdawson says:

Her character is basically she likes horror and dead things.

• taran63 says:

Personally, I think it would be great if somewhere down the line, they find out she’s not playing, and that she really is a psycho. Maybe, she really did kill someone in the past, like an ex-boyfriend.

• Kristen Mock says:

Bull! She’s a lot more than that. that’s just her geek represent for the show. Which come on, that was missing from the show. Horror fans should be happy about this.
        But she’s supportive of Raj, she lets him be who is, and smiles at his Thor and Dr Jones dance!

• peterwdawson says:

“She’s a lot more than that.” Your example didn’t exactly flesh her out. She’s supportive. Well, it is a relationship, that’s kind of key unless the thing they’re doing is in some way suicidal (either literally or metaphorically).

• Kristen Mock says:

Flesh out? Gladly. As for supportive, from the first date she allowed Raj to communicate his feelings over another girl, and that he didn’t want to hurt anyone. She found that endearing whereas other women might have found him creepy and ran away. She forgave him for snooping, and in the recent episode she didn’t want to hurt his feelings but wanted to be honest too about the song. She stood up to his friends that made fun of his sensitivity. She unlike the other three girls on the show, has a more geek side to her like the boys. Instead of making fun of them role playing and video games, she strikes me as one that would sit down with them and play too without thinking it odd. She is open to letting Raj being himself.

She also emotional, very psychological, sensitive to her lover’s needs, she’s fun she likes to plan activities just like Raj, She’s wild, sexual, extremely smart, her humor style is like Monty Python,with the reactionary twist. She’s just kidding after all her roommate isn’t in Palm Springs she’s in a wood chipper. lol She’s a hot redhead dermatologist doctor with colorful personality traits that add to the show.

Granted, we still don’t know a whole lot about her because her appearances are sparse thus far, do to being on Bones as well. But it’s easy to fill in a few gaps.

And it’s easy to speculate why she might be how she is. For example the empathy she has might be from her childhood experience as a redhead. There are some redheads that are teased simply because they HAVE red hair. So she’s standing up for Raj and helping him to accept himself. red hair might also be why she was drawn to dermatology because with pale skin you learn early on about the painful sunburns and the need to protect your skin, more so than someone tan. So yeah okay it’s a shot in the dark I’m speculating at this point but go ahead ask any redhead (when you find one) about the frustrations of pale skin and sun, and about whether they were teased as kids…

I could go on, but yeah she’s a lot more “than a character that likes horror or dead things.”

• peterwdawson says:

You’re right, she’s a character who is supportive and likes horror/dead things.

• Lo says:

I personally thought Tania Raymonde as ‘Yvette the Vet’ (who took care of Cinnamon) had much better chemistry with Raj and had hoped they’d explore that. I just don’t see Emily and Raj as a couple… maybe TBBT will prove me wrong

3. Thomas hunter says:

Part of this show’s current problem is too many characters that have to be shoehorned into every freaking episode!!!! It’s good to see she won’t be added to that list. I like the character, though.

I think the show would be creatively stronger, though, if only the original five appeared EVERY episode

• Joanne Wayne says:

I agree. I’d love to see Raj with the very shy girl and have him help her come out of her she’ll. I don’t care for Laura at all.

4. dan says:

Just like the guy who plays Stuart. When the character is on the episode then his name is in opening credits. I noticed Laura Spencer was in opening credits on tonight’s episode.

5. anon says:

Good. Keep her of Bones. Your welcome TBBT.

6. duendeheart says:

So excited about this!! She’s a great actress (I’ve been a fan since the lizzie Bennett diaries) and am so glad she’ll be on BBT for a while. :)

7. tyranthraxus says:

Lets just hope they give both actors something more to do. I still feel like Raj is a part player in the whole show sometimes (it feels like Stuart gets more screen time sometimes)

8. aph1976 says:

Well i’m guessing this mean the show has big plans for the character of Laura and her relationship with Raj going forward.Plus maybe we are going to learn more about Laura and some of her backstory.

9. Alex Mindev says:

It just seemed like there was so much more chemistry and chances for humor when Raj was dating Lucy. Shame we won’t be seeing her and instead have to settle for much more generic gf choice for Raj.

10. Priyam says:

Yay! Jane from the LIzzie Bennet Diaries!

11. Stacy Wong says:

Even though Laura Spencer is going to be a series regular on Big Bang Theory, but not in every episode because of the as-needed basis, is she still continuing to be Brennan’s newest female intern on Bones until Bones officially ends?

12. Leah says:

isn’t this the same contract Stuart gets. Hes billed in the credits but doesn’t appear on cast posters. This is different than amy and bernadette who appear in every episode.

Wow to think this show will at times have 9 credited stars in some episodes.

• 'A' Is Alive says:

Yep. She’ll be credited in the episodes she appears in, like Stuart. So its basically like they’re still recurring since they’re not getting paid for the full season like the other main cast members. I believe if they credit someone as main, they should have them on all promotional posters, videos, DVD covers, credited each episode (even when not appearing), etc.

• Will says:

It’s like she’s on retainer for the rest of the season. Before this, she was probably signed only to one episode at a time, freeing her up to pursue other jobs. This essentially ensures that she’ll be around when needed.

13. JJ says:

I’m not a huge Emily fan but it’s better than having more whiny desperate Raj scenes.

• J. Norman says:

I like Raj except when – as you say – he goes into thes ‘poor unloved me’ whines.

I certainly like him more than either Howard and (sometimes) Bernadette.

14. Lari says:

I’m torn, like the actress but not the character. That can easily be fixed by a compelling story, but I think last seasons story of Raj “not settling” sets her back alot. I’d rather him end the relationship and “wait” for the right girl.

I honestly think there needs to be a girl that’s just as nerdy/dorky as the guys are. I mean Bernadette and Amy match the guys on an intellectual level, but continue the trope of “we don’t get nerd hobbies” which I think sets up a sad/condescending dynamic amongst girls and guys. There needs to be a cosplaying, comic reading, board game playing, sci fi watching girl that shakes up the girl/guy dynamic which would be perfect for a Raj waiting for the right girl/not settling storyline.

15. JB Smooove says:

meh.

16. Ella says:

I wish they’d bring back the hot vet for Raj. This girl does nothing for me.

17. blonde21212 says:

or Raj can just come out of the closet

18. Sammy says:

Im excited for this. I likke the Emily character.

19. What about her character on Bones? Is she still on the show because I kinda like her on Bones.

• kmw says:

If she is a fractional regular that might mean she can be available once in awhile on Bones. I too was getting to like her on Bones.

20. Kristen Mock says:

She needs to be on a cast photo with the other 7 so Raj has his hot babe by his side like the others do!

21. Kate Garner says:

I like Laura as an actress, but I do not like Raj and Emily together, so this is kind of disappointing.

22. Jennifer says:

NOOO!!! Too many people. It needs to be what it was. Or end it.

23. Mare says:

Ugh. And here I was hoping the show would finally have Raj break up with her. They’ve been so good with their most recent additions but this character just does not fit. She reminds me of Sara Gilbert’s character when they made her a “regular”: out of place.

• eponymous says:

I agree with Mare. I don’t think she fits in the show, and I find her creepy. I have no problem with the actress, but I can’t stand the character. I guess the writers run out of options for Raj, so they decided to keep her. The show is becoming less and less funny…

24. kirads09 says:

I liked Lucy(Kate Micucci) with Raj so much better.

25. Luis says:

Very cool, I like her and her character a lot. Good to see Raj and Emily’s relationship get expanded, even a little

26. robandco says:

Not good. Her character has no chemistry with Raj’s. The cast is already too big for a sitcom. I know Raj is the only one with no girlfriend but no, just no. Her character is badly written and brings nothing to the story. I hope she either breaks Raj’s heart so he can finally find The Girl next or help him realize he’s gay but if that’s none of the above I just can’t.
    Also, Stuart is useless. Regulars are supposed to help moving the story on right?

• suzi says:

My opinions are different than yours in so many ways…I like them together, Raj is so not gay, and I love Stuart.
      Different strokes. :)

• robandco says:

I don’t think Raj is gay neither. I like the running gag about that! I hope the writers have something good to make me like Emily because Raj may be one of my favorite characters on the show so I want him to find happiness.

27. u_ash says:

They are just ruining her character by branding her being a weird psycho. She and Raj make the most normal/non-wierd couple on the show. All the other characters are just getting insufferable by the day

28. Daisy says:

I wanna see her in every episode

29. freemytongue says:

About time Koothrappali had a steady gf too… it’s a new age for the geek.

30. I don’t like the Emily character. She is too weird. Raj should have a girlfriend that is not so ghoulish. Amy and Sheldon need to reunite. They are what makes the show. Penny’s character is annoying and the other characters are just not very interesting.

31. b002u says:

She does not fit with this show. She is a fine actress, but her comedy timing in this role is way off. She reminds me of Susan on Seinfeld…just the wrong fit! The new girl is awesome and her comedy works. Sorry Laura (also… sorry your parents named you after an 80’s soap opera character who married her rapist)

32. Kayley says:

Emily is ok but doesn’t really seem to fit in with the rest of of the great characters on the show.

33. Chloe7 says:

Emily didn’t fit in. Very hard to like women in new world context in the way they are portrayed.