Comic-Con
Shadowhunters Comic-Con Panel

Shadowhunters @ NY Comic-Con: Premiere Date, 'Malec' Teases, Possible New Characters and More

The cast of ABC Family/Freeform’s Shadowhunters took the stage at New York Comic-Con on Saturday, revealing surprises about the supernatural series, premiering Jan. 12 at 9/8c.

For starters, you might want to keep your eyes peeled for a few outsiders crashing the party:

“What we tried to do is honor everything Cassie [Clare] created, but still try to throw in some surprises for the Mortal Instruments fans,” showrunner Ed Decter said, adding that we might see “characters from other Cassie Clare-created material.”

And even though the cast physically represents their characters to a T, the series will take each of them to new emotional levels — especially Dominic Sherwood’s Jace.

“[Jace’s] arrogance and his contempt for his own mortality” are the main things that will be explored with him, Sherwood acknowledged. “We go into Jace’s history and past and we find out he can be pretty vulnerable at times.”

Shadowhunters MalecFans of “Malec” — the relationship between Harry Shum Jr’s Magnus and Matthew Daddario’s Alec — also got a little treat during the panel.

“He’s very conflicted,” Daddario teased of his character, adding that the progression of the fan-favorite couple will be a “surprise” of sorts. “If you’re a fan of ‘Malec,’ you might be happy,” he said.

“He can go either way,” Shum Jr. added of Magnus. (To be fair, he was discussing whether or not his character is “evil,” but all is fair at Comic-Con.)

Another ‘ship fans might want to watch out for is “Sizzie” — Alberto Rosende’s Simon and Emeraude Toubia’s Isabelle/Izzie — as Toubia says there might be a “spark” there.

Shadowhunters fans, are you looking forward to ABC Family/Freeform’s series? Drop a comment with your thoughts/hopes below.

1. Adil says:

i don’t know, i mean i love the books and i was pretty excited for the series (the movie sucked, for me) but i was pretty disappointed by the trailers. It looked very junior and low budget, the special effects, and weird, like the scene where clary is getting attacked by the “ravenar” and jace randomly runs and stabs it in the back, so lame. i hope they’ll polish stuff up before the actual series premiere.
    Also, the acting by kat macnamara made me cringe. she wasnt that bad in happyland, was she? :-/

• Ray says:

I am in total agreement about the show looking like it has low production values and sophomoric from the trailers. Also, the lead was quite mediocre in Happyland (ashamed to admit I even tried watching that dreck). I was quite surprised when she landed the lead role.

• Kate says:

They just threw something together for NYCC. This is just the preliminary editing. All tv shows work on editing up until the episode airs. There is still a lot of work to be done. Don’t worry. I think it looks pretty good for being this early in the editing process. Acting on the other hand could be better. I can only hope it will improve throughout the season as the actors get more use to the characters.

• Dr. M says:

I’m reminded of ‘The MIddleman’ not having enough budget for their aspirations. I’m not sure why they are bothering if they won’t spend the money.

2. Sarah_ says:

After seeing the trailers and a peek at the first minutes of the show..well I don’t know how they didn’t find a better female lead..her dialogue and acting was awful.
    I was excited for this but after seeing the trailers I don’t have the same opinion.

• Marcos says:

She is pretty awful in Eye Candy, and even worst in the Fosters. I was 100% sure that she’ll still be awful in this show. But hey if I could stand Elena after Delena, I think I can stand any vanilla female lead

3. Eva says:

I can’t seem to get over the fact that Magnus is played by Harry Shum Jr. Seems like a complete miscast to me. Hopefully, once I see him in the role I’ll change my mind, because I really want to enjoy the show. And hopefully they are all better actors than it seemed in the trailer!

• Adil says:

Literally, its going to get ripped apart, this show. i just saw the first few minutes of the first episode. its exactly what you’d expect it to be after that trailer. the acting was horrendous, some parts were soooo cheesy that i was actually surprised that they made through the cut. Long story short, i’ll probably watch the first episode just for the sake of it but im not holding my breath for a long running tv show, at this point.

• Eva says:

This sucks. I didn’t even enjoy the books all that much, but I remember thinking, during the reading, that they had just enough good material to be turned into a cool tv show with some effort put into picking the fun parts and course-correcting the cheesy ones. I guess they did the opposite.

4. Fido says:

She’s got red hair which is enough for me to give it a shot. :) plus it’s got swords. :yay:

5. jc says:

I really really want to like this show and I want it to do good so there could be many seasons and spinoffs but the negative reaction and the teaser I’ve seen are making me worry. Something is wrong with clary and maugnus looks terrible. The actor for jace is hotter that he appears here. Hopefully things are better than they seem.

6. John says:

Tuesday at 9pm is getting overcrowded with genre shows. Starting January there will be iZombie, Agents of Shield, Scream Queens, Teen Wolf & Shadowhunters, All showing at the same time.

7. unknown says:

Not happy with new Shadowhunters series they should have left the movie stand on its own. Magnus Bain was better in the movie lousy Magnus Bain in the show. Series looks cheesy not like movie not watching the show loved the books, but writers produce the series worse. Always a fan of Cassandra I’ll just read the books over and the characters Wil be as I imagined in my head. They’ll never get it right like in the books, but the only thing they got right was in the movie was all the characters except jace. Magnus Bain was the best! Just like I imagined him, but they forgot us older women read these books not only teens.

8. unknown says:

Not happy with new Shadowhunters series they should have left the movie stand on its own. Magnus Bain was better in the movie lousy Magnus Bain in the show. Series looks cheesy not watching the show loved the books, but writers make it into a series it doesnt make a difference. Always a fan of Cassandra I’ll just read the books over and the characters. Wil be as I imagined in my head. They’ll never get it right like in the books, but the only thing they got right was in the movie was all the characters except jace. Magnus Bain was the best! Just like I imagined him, but they forgot us older women read these books not only teens.

9. Carol says:

Omg yes. Been waiting for so long for this. And I am so happy that Malec isn’t going to be skimmed. They are my favourite couple in the series.