Exclusive
The Walking Dead Negan

The Walking Dead: Fresh Intel on Negan's Arrival (Plus a Sorta-Confirmation From EP Scott Gimple)

It appears The Walking Dead is saving the worst for last.

There’s mounting evidence that AMC’s zombie phenom will introduce dreaded comic book villain Negan in the Season 6 finale this spring.

Exhibit A: Earlier this month, The Walking Dead issued a casting notice for the role of “Orin,” an imposing, charismatic, brutal, frightening, ferocious and hilarious sociopath in his 30s to mid 40s that is both a leader (and killer) of men. The character would first appear in Season 6’s 16th episode (AKA the finale) and be back (likely as a series regular) for subsequent seasons.

Exhibit B: When asked if “Orin” is actually “Negan,” showrunner Scott M. Gimple replied to TVLine, “I can neither confirm nor deny,” before cheekily adding, “It’s not the worst guess in the world. It’s difficult to get around your logic here.”

Exhibit C: Rumor has it Glenn is back to sleeping with one eye open.

Case closed? Join the deliberations currently underway in the comments section below.

1. wrstlgirl says:

I’m thinking (and hoping) that Glenn is to obvious because that’s what everyone is expecting. My votes on Abraham.

• omar says:

I think they’ll kill Daryl.

• wrstlgirl says:

I’m not taking the bait ;-)

• Jax&Juice's Girl says:

WTF………He’s NOT going to die! First of all ”Orin” why change the name if it’s really Negan character. Since i’m not a comic reader he’s one that killed Glenn right? Cause if that’s the case then maybe Glenn will dodge yet another bullet and die in S7 since this character shows up in theS6 finale.

• kat says:

Many times they give fake names for the casting calls and then in the show they give the character his actual name,the one from the comic.

• wrstlgirl says:

Don’t drink Omar’s kool aide ;-) That comment was clearly made to start an argument.

• Jax&Juice's Girl says:

Sh******t Don’t mention Daryl, Rick or Michonne I will be PISSED!..LOL

• wrstlgirl says:

LOL, trust me I get it. I don’t want anymore of what’s left of our core group to die. There are plenty of other characters to choose from.

• Jax&Juice's Girl says:

True that girl, it’s time for some MORE of the Alexandria people to get the ”AXE”!

• JazzySoles says:

They often change the name in casting calls to conceal the character they’re casting for.
          On the bullet dodging, it’s likely that Negan’s big kill will be in his inaugural scene, as it was in the comics. If that’s the case, then 616 is right. And I’m going back and forth on who it’s gonna be…I’m afraid it’d probably be Daryl, but some days I think they’ll keep it as is.

• LK says:

Whomever it is probably wont die until next season if Negan is first showing up in the season finale.. The death scene didnt happen right away,

• wrstlgirl says:

Yeah, I realize that :-)

• I’m thinking, for the ultimate cliffhanger, that it will happen in the S6 finale.

• wrstlgirl says:

I think fans will flip out with just the introduction of the character and then have to wait until the Fall…..GAH I know for me that will be excruciating, LOL!!!

• Those who don’t read the comics won’t know what’s coming. So, maybe it would be excruciating to have Negan do “eeny, meeny, miny, moe” and have him end on Daryl. Then cut to black. We’d have to wait months to see what ends up happening to Daryl. Maybe he’ll get out of it somehow and it will end up actually being Glenn, or maybe he won’t!

• wrstlgirl says:

I don’t read the comics but this spoiler has been out there for two years now but I’m sure there are still some that don’t know anything about Negan. But OMG that idea will kill the fans. They will go absolutely insane, hahahaha!!!

• slm says:

I’m going to hate having to wait after that finale!

• Will says:

But it could make for quite the introduction if he’s first shown bashing in Glenn’s skull.

• A fan of TV says:

Your vote is highly supported by evidence from behind the scenes. You are likely 100 per cent correct, especially as all series regulars from the comics have died in a different manner/at a different time to keep things fresh.

• AnnieM says:

That would definitely be in keeping with how they put a twist on things. He’s a choice that makes perfect sense, actually.

• AnnieM says:

Okay, this was in reply to wrstgirl thinking the death might be Abraham. Not sure how my reply wound up so far away!

• Kristen says:

I don’t want Glenn to die. :(
      I also don’t want Abraham to die. I like him, and I liked his interaction with Sasha in the premiere. I will say, it doesn’t bode well that Abraham is all about living life to the fullest, and hints at his character not being around for long. Like it’s his own swan song. Or, maybe they are doing that purely so he can connect with Sasha and bring her back down to earth a little bit.

2. Bruce Padgett says:

Jon Hamm would be perfect. He even resembles Negan.

• Will says:

Timothy Olyphant would kill it. Lee Pace could be good, if scheduling permits. Keep it in the AMC and do a little cross promotion for Halt & Catch Fire. Morgan Spector and Michael Shannon could work, too.

• wrstlgirl says:

I would love Olyphant in the role. Not sure about Lee Pace though. He’s good at playing badass in his movies but I’m not so sure about a character like Negan. I would also like to add Ryan Hurst to the list.

• Will says:

I was thinking Ryan Hurst, but I don’t think he could pull off the charm that Negan has. He’s more of the intimidating silent type. He could be a good Dwight, though.

• AnnieM says:

Michael Shannon would be awesome.

• Win says:

I would totally buy Lee Pace as Negan – love that idea. Age range/general look (bulk up a little more) and I could see him pulling off the dark/sadistic, but charming/somehow likeable qualities that Negan possesses. But… since Halt & Catch Fire was (gratefully) renewed, I won’t get my hopes up.

• AnnieM says:

Hmm. I think he’s too classically handsome to play Negan. But, they went there with the Governor, too, and it worked. Jon Hamm would be an interesting choice, for sure.

• Lynda says:

Oh yes!! I would have loved Jon Hamm to play the part. Not only because he looks similar to Negan, but I think he could have pulled that role off well! I can’t wait till they introduce Jesus on the show. I hope they stick with the character pretty much like the his comic version.

• Regular Guy in Neighborhood says:

Rob Riggle

3. cocoayo says:

The casting for this role needs to be on point.

4. Sarah_ says:

I hope they cast him really well or the fans will be disappointed.

5. Win says:

So awesome but so sad at the same time. I am also awaiting a great casting choice – wonder if they’ll go relatively unknown, established, or somewhere in-between.

6. AnnieM says:

All this talk of Ñegan, but as a comic reader, I’m far more excited to see Jesus arrive. :-)

7. Alyssa says:

Michael C. Hall? We already know he’s great as a charasmatic sociopath!

8. Logan1917 says:

It would be perfect if he shows up, does his whole speech, then he does the choosing part, but we cut to black before we see who it is he chooses. Leave us guessing who’s going to bite it all summer

9. Don't worry says:

Maybe Carl will finally be killed off

10. J.D. says:

Michael Vera as Negan

FTW

11. jk0525 says:

Sorry guys Glenn is dead…there is no getting out of that situation that Nicholas got then into. My concern now is Maggie. She is going to lose it. She has officially lost everyone she really cared about and all in the most horrific ways. How does she keep going now?

12. Lynda says:

I think they will most likely stay with Glenn. It is very sad, BUT, it also is part of Maggie’s character development in the comics. She becomes a leader in her own right, and that may not have happened if Glenn lived. I love the both the comics and the show! I would definitely support the story arch of Maggie’s new found leadership on the show even if that means killing Glenn. “Stuff” and “Thangs” happen! LOL!!

13. Softie3940 says:

They need to find a way to bring glenn back. You do not need to kill of the original main characters You do not always go with the comic book if you did the governor would have cut one of ricks hand off As far as negan one of the cast members could kill him with his own bat These people are not stupid they know when a person isn’t who or what they say they are