Reign Season 3 Spoilers

Reign Season 3 Premiere Recap: Liars and Tigers and Queens, Oh My

Considering the sour note upon which Season 2 ended, Friday’s Reign premiere was surprisingly uplifting — well, the first half of it, at least.

Mary and Francis’ second honeymoon, a glorious haze of love-making and boat-sanding, was cut tragically short when he revealed that his illness has returned. “I don’t know how much time we have left,” he told her. “Every moment matters. It always did, but I just didn’t see it before.” Needless to say, well-deserved tears were shed by all. (Also, spoiler alert: HE’S DYING.)

Fortunately, the it couple was offered a reprieve from despair — or at least a distraction from it — when word came of Catherine’s presence in England. After tricking Elizabeth into temporarily abandoning her home, along with the best soldiers her army has to offer, Mary and Francis’ men snatched up Catherine and escorted her back to French Court. Oh, did I forget to mention she was taken there in the same cage as a freakin’ tiger? I kind of love when Mary lets her freak flag fly.

YASS, KWEENS | Prior to her capture, Catherine made good on her promise to help Elizabeth take down Mary, proposing a two-step plan: Use Mary’s affair with Condé to convince the Pope to stop supporting her, then arrange for Elizabeth to marry her son Charles. (Side note: Catherine’s spiel about how Charles won’t be bone-worthy for at least two years made me pretty uncomfortable, not gonna lie.) Of course, both parts of Catherine’s plan came with a big, fat wrinkle of irony: Elizabeth is currently sleeping with another woman’s husband, making her just as much of a W-word as her enemy.

PLUNDERING FOR BOOTY | As Narcisse continued his relentless pursuit of Lola (rather successfully, I might add), a newcomer to French Court — an actual, literal pirate named Martin de Lambert — set his sights on Greer. She wasn’t the only lady on his list, and she certainly also toyed with his emotions, but something tells me those two have a future. Sadly, the same probably can’t be said for Greer and Leith, who was M.I.A. from the premiere.

THE WITCH IS BACK | Speaking of unfortunate couplings, the premiere reunited Bash with Delphine, who’s currently the main suspect in the death of a local boy. Appearing to Bash at night — but definitely not in a dream — she pleaded with him to clear her name, ending the conversation by swiping his leg with a dagger. (Is that how she flirts? This girl is crazier than Bash’s collective storylines combined.)

Your thoughts on Reign‘s season premiere? Hopes/fears for what’s to come? After grading the episode, drop ’em all in a comment below.

1. Nicole says:

Mary and Francis are perfect together. Not a fan of Bash’d storyline….miss him and Kenna.

2. chelsey says:

Love reign, hope it gets a season 4!!!, season 2 got a bit boring in some parts, but its still a great show!.

3. Nikita says:

Yay loved the season 3 premiere. Love queen Mary, queen Elizabeth is interesting. Excited for the rest of this season, it better get a season 4.

4. ninamags says:

OMG! Those first few scenes made me cry. Especially since we know what’s gonna happen a few weeks from now. (Damn you TVLine for your spoilers!!)

Catherine is relentless. I though the brother was way younger than what they are now portraying him.

I loved that “Pirate” lime from Martin. Saw it coming from up the block :)
    He looks a bit like Hook from OUAT.

Great start to the season.

5. kim says:

Really wish Francis wan’t going to die. He and Mary are beautiful together. Can’t. he be saved somehow. Don’t know if I can continue watching once he dies he is a main character.

6. ninergrl6 says:

LOVE the 3 queens angle. LOVE the addition of the English court — so much storyline potential! I even enjoyed Greer & Lola’s side storylines, which isn’t usually the case. This episode felt more like season 1 than season 2, which is DEFINITELY a good thing IMO.

What I didn’t love and just don’t understand is why Bash’s storyline seems so far removed from everything else. Torrance Coombs has been a fan favorite from the very beginning — heck, 50% of season 1 revolved around him! But now it’s like he’s on his own little island with his witchcraft & his forest-lurking & he has virtually nothing to do with Mary and Francis. I really hope it doesn’t stay this way. I don’t even mind the witchcraft thing, but give it some connection to something else and someone else. Don’t leave Bash floundering alone. With Francis kicking the bucket in the near future, Bash can (and should!) be a vital part of the storylines moving forward…unless they’re planning on ditching everyone connected to French court when Francis dies…which I pray doesn’t happen.

• tim says:

I agree with eveything you said! Bash needs to be more involved with mary & francis.

• Mila says:

Bash storyline is away from everyone, and I admit quite uninteresting so far, BUT I do believe the writers will find a way to connect it to the may storyline. He has to look for who killed the boy, and that is likely to be someone we know already.

7. James says:

That Frary boat scene seem like a nod to 90210’s Lannie boat scene from season 2. Love it either way. :D

8. Izzie Duquette says:

Anyone know whether and when (hopefully!) Kenna will be back?

9. safistikaytdlayd says:

Is it true they will kill off Francis this season???

10. MARY says:

REIGN IS awesome!!!!

11. Arnold says:

I´ve got high expectations of season 3, but I do hope there will be more armed conflict since I was some what dissapointed about the battles in previous seasons. Those scenes could be a longer and a little more frequent, but thats just my personal taste.

I Love it when Mary steps up to the plate and shows she is not to be messed with, the same goes for Francis when he leads in battle. I wonder if Kenna will return to court as the Queen of Imereti since she already had the boy king already wrapped around her finger. As for Bash, I hope he will find a normall woman and find it awsome that they casted Rachel Skarsten as Queen Elizabeth.

As for Narcisse I still dont trust him, despite that I trust his love for Lola; but the fact, is that he still conspires/conpspired with the King of Navarre against Fancis and Mary. Plus he also set up the Duke of Guise to take the fall, it´s ashame I liked his caracter. I also hope that John Prevo (Tahmoh Penikett) who Mary hired together with her monsters swing by.

Anyways, I´m happy the new season started again, and especially loved the last scene when they tried to lock up Katherine in the cage with the tiger. I really wonder if Francis really is going to die, or that he will be saved by new medical discovery or an experimental treatment. When I look at Charles for some reason Ive got the feeling he cant be trusted like King Jefrey from Game of Thrones. Since he always liked Mary, I´m curious if the serie will do what Mary´s uncle´s tried to do in real life that Mary would marry Chales or if she still will bare a son from Francis, to many questions lol.

Hehehe and last but not least; since I´m Dutch I would love it if our royal house or our nobles make an entry (more than just by name).