Ratings: HTGAWM Slips Again, Hits Lows for Third Straight Week

ABC’s Grey’s Anatomy (with 8.1 million total viewers and a 2.2 rating), Scandal (8.8 mil/2.6) and How to Get Away With Murder (7.2 mil/2.2), per finals, all dipped in the demo this Thursday, thus marking HTGAWM‘s third consecutive week of hitting series lows.

Elsewhere….

NBC | Heroes Reborn (4.4 mil/1.2) dropped 12 and 25 percent in its third week, The Blacklist (7 mil/1.5) slipped 10 and 16 percent and The Player (4.4 mil/0.9) dipped a tenth.

FOX | Bones (5.9 mil/1.3) ticked down, but Sleepy Hollow (3.3 mil/1.0) held steady/matched its premiere’s series lows.

THE CW | Vampire Diaries returned to 1.4 mil and a 0.6, down 22 and 33 percent from last year’s premiere and off a tenth from its May finale. The Originals christened its new time slot with 890,000 viewers and a 0.4, matching its series lows as well as Reign’s year-ago apres-TVD premiere.

CBS | Thursday Night Football (13.9 mil/4.5 across CBS/NFL Network) was down sharply from last week’s combined tally.

1. Mr. Tran K says:

Talk about “how to get away with low numbers”. HTGAWM still can’t catch a break after so much disappointment. Hasn’t been the same for The Player as well if it doesn’t hold up week in and week out. Is it just me or is Blindspot better than The Player?

• wrstlgirl says:

Nope not just you. I like Blindspot more. The only thing holding my interest in The Player is the mystery surrounding the wife. Other than that it’s kinda boring.

• Nick Hayden says:

I think if they put the player on another night it would do alot better thursdays is stacked with great shows but i really hope it doesnt get cancelled or at least gets picked up for a full season

• Mika says:

It truly is more about no one watching network TV. Even though all of ABC’s shows declined ast night, they are still far and away the best numbers of any of the networks.

• zac says:

i think any network would be happy if their show is still getting 2.1s

• Sheila says:

Yup. I watch all NBC shows live Thursdays. I enjoy them all. Blacklist is my favorite! Last night was one of my all time favorite episodes of Blacklist. Wanted to rave about it, but there is no recap here.

• Ellinas1978 says:

Like I said below 2 seasons of “Murder” would be enough. The show just can’t sustain yet another murder related to the main characters and mystery. Not be believable and keep people’s interest anyway.

• Ellinas1978 says:

Player will be one of the first shows cancelled. Unless NBC has a plan for midseason and has given up on that timeslot until then.

• Mr. Tran K says:

Not 100% sure on what you’re talking about. Don’t know why people still NOT getting the love for The Player not even the disappointment of social media (Facebook, Twitter among others) and doesn’t get a big boost for a Blacklist lead-in.

2. Zorkel says:

It’s so sad to see HTGAWM continue to drop. It’s better this season than it’s ever been.

• dan says:

Can’t agree with you. HTGAWM was better in season one. This season it has become clear that Viola Davis is the only reason to watch the show. The storylines are all over the place and the new mystery about the siblings is boring. Whatever happened to the “who killed Lila” and “who killed Sam” stories? The viewers know who did the deeds (and who killed Rebecca as well), but nothing is progressing with those storylines. Instead the writers want us to get invested in a new storyline about possibly incestuous siblings who may have killed their billionaire parents. I like some of the supporting characters, and the show is entertaining (although from a legal perspective it is still laughable the way cases are presented and all lawyers are portrayed as being liars and cheats), but I’m only watching because Viola is holding this thing together. She could submit any of the first three episodes for next year’s Emmy nominations and probably win again! I’m not surprised the ratings are falling each week.

3. It’s one thing to tell a story with unlikable, flawed characters, but the ones in HTGAWM are downright awful, undeserving of sympathy.

• ? says:

Viola Davis’s character is so compelling, but everyone else on that show is just a horrible human being I wish would rot in prison. Makes every scene without her completely unwatchable.

• DL says:

Even though Asher is a super clueless doofus, I don’t find him to be a bad person. He usually means well even if he goes about it the wrong way. And I feel like they’re really softening Connor’s character; he’s grown a lot and I actually like him now that he’s committed to Oliver despite the HIV diagnosis. I also liked that he was the only one trying to save Annalise by stopping the bleeding in the flash forwards, even if he did eventually succumb to peer pressure to flee.
        So yeah, basically I don’t think Asher and Connor are so bad, but just about everyone else is. xD

• tark says:

To me that’s the appeal of the show. No favorites, they’re all the same rotten devils and if one dies, well…..Buh bye. Hahaha!

4. Yasin says:

I don’t understand the drop for HTGAWM. It is such a solid show. This episode wasn’t my favourite but it wasn’t so bad that I turned off my TV.

• Ellinas1978 says:

First season it was something different that grabbed people from the first moment. Not so much with Season 2.

5. Joe says:

With the return of poppa Pope I feel my days of watching Scandal are numbered, Too bad about murder the story this season has been pretty good

6. Boiler says:

Maybe this bodes well for Elementary when it comes back but I fear it is just no one watching network shows now, at least live

• Ellinas1978 says:

The people that have the metered boxes (or whatever they have) do, that’s why they are picked. Now if cable companies could do it like Google where you automatically send usage statistics to them (and you have to go in to uncheck it) now that would be interesting.

• Prish says:

I know for a fact from a past phone call and participation until we moved that the ones with the boxes are NOT “picked”. They really do get box particators through random sampling. A phone rings and someone asks if the household wants to…etc. They don’t even ask your name or any particulars until you answer. Later in my In social psych class we were told the most powerful research out there was Nielsen. I believe it.

7. venia says:

Last night was not the best episode, in fact the first 3 episode have been average to me. Not bad but not great. HTGAWM needs to be carful with the sex,. I felt like last night the sex scenes were throw in at the last minute. If the show relies to heavy on that in the long run it will fail. Last night just seem like a repeat of season 1 in story telling. I still love viola davis.

8. tallsy says:

HTGAWM needs to make the courtroom scenes slightly more realistic. Not a documentary obviously, but lawyer shows are so common that there’s an expectation level.

I feel bad for Philip Winchester/Charity Wakefield/Wesley Snipes but they got dealt a bad hand.

9. Boiler says:

Perhaps the CW and Fox need to merge.

10. Erika says:

This is a sad that ALL these show’s ratings drops sharply.2015 is the year of low ratings in broadcast networks.The Nielsens ratings kill these shows and then ended up canceled.Is the end of an era for traditional TV ratings.Just Saying

11. Coach Taylor says:

At least HTGAWM still won its timeslot but I’ll admit it’s a troubling trend for the show. I hope they don’t cancel it!

12. Gerri says:

Seems the numbers are dropping on every front. Just the way people watch TV now. Really have to see what the DVR numbers add. I hope after Thursday Football the numbers go up too. I think HTGAWM is still great this season. Love the twists.

13. Saabstory says:

I thought HTGAWM was really great last night…i feel like it’s as tense and taut as it was the first season, something I wish was true of Empire, for example.

14. Ellinas1978 says:

Two seasons of “Murder” are enough. The show is not built for yet another mystery death. And yet another semester with the students taking her class? 2 seasons, do something else.

15. Lyn says:

Looks like Shondaland is losing it’s sparkle.

16. Ellinas1978 says:

See you Player. You’ve been cancelled you just don’t know it yet.

• Mr. Tran K says:

This is why I’m still upset about The Player’s low numbers. Does anyone continues to hurt their feelings on a Thursday night? Blame that silly old football crap on CBS.

17. Jeez, the Originals though. Yikes

• Cracking up says:

Haha! I mean, I can’t say I’m shocked. These ratings were coming since day one. Especially with such nonsense as writers having Twitter fights with fans and telling people to stop watching. Be careful what you wish for….

18. zac says:

I guess networks now dont have a choice but to look at live+3 and live+7 numbers. Coz half their shows would be canceled if they dont.

• Mig991 says:

As they should. I stream everything off of Hulu or the network websites now. I currently watch, Scandel, Castle, Good Wife, Blackish and Modern Family, never live.

19. Dee says:

It seem like every show that was mentioned slipped from last week.

20. Mr. Tran K says:

Really don’t want CBS getting another season of Thursday Night Football if any of these shows drop in numbers by next year. On the other hand, it’s going to take a month before CBS’ Thursday night line-up is back to normal.

• Boiler says:

Think CBS doing a major disservice to both their Monday and Thursday lineups with football. Besides there is way too much football on TV already

21. Cory says:

So happy about Sleepy Hollow at least not dropping any.

22. Ronnie says:

Once Thursday night Football ends, all the numbers will bounce back. Besides, the shows are all DVRd, and those numbers always help. People don’t have to stay up late anymore and most catch up now in the weekends at their own leisure.

• kmw says:

Not for everyone. Bones will get trounced by TBBT when it comes back. People are just watching television in lots of different ways. and the numbers will not really bounce back. Bones and Sleepy Hollow might get a bump for their crossover

23. aunni says:

he he he…plague both of ur shows… :p

24. Chaya says:

The entire ABC Thursday night line up is a night-time soap opera marathon. I’ve stopped watching all 3.

25. Cheyenne says:

Two football games were on. All the shows took a hit.
    They need to move Sleepy Hollow back to Monday where it won’t face competition from Scandal. SpoilerTV.com is already predicting the show will be cancelled. At this rate it won’t survive past the new year.

26. DarkDefender says:

I am curious.. With the cable shows pretty much taking over (the condensed story telling format seems to be the key), has there been ANY network series that has gained viewers in the past couple seasons (Empire excluded)?

27. Shannon says:

I’m really hoping that Sleepy Hollow’s numbers start going up. While I’m not all that keen on the Betsy Ross character, I’m liking the return to the more ‘playful’ interactions from the first season. I’m also really enjoyed the scenes with Jenny and Joe, hopefully they can keep that momentum going in the right direction.

28. kmw says:

Scandal I guess wins the night for ABC, but across the board just about everyone was down. Too bad Bones went down it was really good. Actually the demo number wasn’t bad for them

29. Saintsfan9 says:

It’s my personal opinion that Thursday night football is better than most of the shows on Thursday nights. If the shows were good then more people would watch them instead of football. If networks didn’t keep making shows with similar stories then maybe ratings would actually go up instead of down. I hope CBS continues with the football as it’s one of the few things keeping them alive.

30. Gayle says:

Although this does not count in UK only HTGAWM is showing and personally no-one I know watches and looking at the UK figures they were not good. Grey’s they are not showing till January 2016 which is a shame but a lot of us get it over the internet and enjoy it not even sure when Scandal is coming on. HTGAWN in my opinion and a lot of people I know terrible. Still all entitled to our own views.

31. rahul says:

annalise keating embodies some of the worst possible attributes you can ever find in an individual.that’s not to say she doesn’t entertain well.she indeed does.i was actually quite surprised to hear about its depleting numbers since this season has been,by all means,unflinchingly fierce!of course,the lame sibling storyline pales in comparison to the “who killed lyla” narrative that riveted spectators in the previous season.nevertheless,this season is way more interesting(including the way they’re handling adjunct plots and paradoxes) than the last one.i hope more people continue to see this instead of the lackluster series like greysanatomy that have inexorably lost their ci-deviant charm.