American Gothic CBS

New American Gothic Series From Steven Spielberg Ordered at CBS

CBS is taking another stab at American Gothic, handing a 13-episode order to a new murder-mystery series to debut next summer.

From Steven Spielberg’s Amblin Television, the drama — which bears no connection to the short-lived, Shaun Cassidy-produced American Gothic series that aired on CBS in the mid-’90s — centers on a prominent Boston family that is attempting to redefine itself in the wake of a chilling discovery that links their recently deceased patriarch to a string of murders spanning decades (amid the mounting suspicion that one of them may have been his accomplice).

Good Wife/Jane the Virgin scribe Corinne Brinkerhoff will serve as an EP and writer.

“Corinne has created the perfect CBS summer mystery, filled with suspense, intrigue and an explosive ending that will leave you breathless,” said Glenn Geller, President, CBS Entertainment. “It feels like a compelling summer novel that we can deliver to our viewers in 13 one-hour chapters.”

1. The Cassidy show was awesome.

2. Colleen says:

I agree. The show American Gothic produced by Shaun Cassidy in the ’90’s was a great show. So disappointed when intended.

3. James says:

Why call it “American Gothic” when it’s no relation to THE American Gothic? At least say *new* American Gothic…

4. Regina says:

Sounds intriguing.

5. LT says:

Ohhhh Hollywood. SMH

6. lululime says:

American Gothic reminds of that era when all the networks were churning out those X-Files inspired series. Shout out to the one with Eric Close and Kate from General Hospital!

7. kelley says:

I loved that show. Sarah Paulson will forever be Merlyn to me. And cannot forget the evil was was Gary Cole as the Sheriff. Someone’s at the door indeed.

8. Arlene says:

Is it based on the show starring Gary Cole? That one? That WAS great.

9. Cheyenne says:

That show was so great! I don’t know why it never caught on. Wonderful plots and performances. It was cancelled right at the point that the boy was turning into a demon just like the sheriff. Too bad. That story line had so much potential.

10. Mille says:

Sounds like a fun project, would love to see Archie Panjabi get back into business with CBS…

11. dan says:

Looks like CBS found its replacement for the now-cancelled Extant. Did Spielberg’s company produce that as well?

12. Bob Backus says:

Was so excited when I read the title only to read the rest of the article and find out it’s just another cookie cutter year-long mystery. “Someone’s at the door” Yah, boredom. Gee, who are the accomplices? Gee this doesn’t at all sound like How to Get Away with Murder and Create a Boring 2nd Season, or the ancient Murder One, or any of the other murder mystery shows here and in the UK that are popular right now. I bet they had to think for a whole 5 minutes to come up with the twist that maybe one of the family was an accomplice. Not the REAL American Gothic, NOT WORTH WATCHING! Unless it stars Gary Cole.

13. Heathers says:

Bring back the original American Gothic with Gary Cole. He was freakin awesomely evil.

• debbie says:

well said agree completly there will only ever be one american gothic loved it wish there was a way s.c. could get another season even now bot only with its original cast.

14. daryl shim says:

I can’t wait to see ‘Steven Spielberg’s new television series next summer. I love an American Gothic mystery drama filled with suspense and intrigue. Steven Spielberg is a man of ingredible talent .

15. i would have watched it if was a version of the old american gothic with gary cole that would have been awsome !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but this version i am not interested

16. Nancy says:

How can they use the same title for a tv show? bummed that it’s not Shaun Cassidy’s cast of characters….the show could start back up (if they can tear Sarah Paulson away from American Horror Story)

• Colleen says:

I don’t understand why the show is being promoted with the same name as the 90’s show by Shaun Cassidy but it is not the same show. It seems to be a totally different show. The name should be changed.

17. Not the good american gothic?!? says:

I thought this was going to be connected to the Gary Cole and Lucas Black American Gothic, and was definitely going to check it out. However now that I read it has nothing to do with it I’m extremely unlikely to be checking it out.

18. Angela Adams says:

Since American Gothic will be a Stephen Spielberg production, I am sure it will need be great. But I was hoping it was a revival of Shaun Cassidy’s ’90’s thriller, with the sexy Gary Cole as sheriff Buck with a “B”.

19. Colleen says:

I was disappointed to learn it was not a reinvention of Shaun Cassidy’s show in the 90’s. That was intriguing TV. “Someone’s at the door!” I will probably check it out but I am already disappointed.

20. Mary Hall says:

Since Spielberg or CBS didnt honor fans of The Whispers with another season and only a cliffhanger of what was his best work since Close Encounters of the Third Kind…lm on a boycott for him. And the ridiculous Season 1 cancelation of Limitless this month…lm sorry but do more to keep the shows on that need completion, not grab a following them rip the tug out from under them!!!! Too many chances CBS.

• Josh says:

You dope. “His best work since CEofTK.”

Hahaha, do u think Spielberg had ANYTHING to do with this show??? Other than his name attached to bring in money??

Haha his best work!

21. Mary Hall says:

Since Spielberg or CBS didnt honor fans of The Whispers with another season and only a cliffhanger of what was his best work since Close Encounters of the Third Kind…lm on a boycott for him. And the ridiculous Season 1 cancelation of Limitless this month…lm sorry but do more to keep the shows on that need completion, not grab a following them rip the rug out from under them!!!! Too many chances CBS.

• Colleen says:

Mary, I am sickened by the cancellation of Limitless. I enjoyed the show and I think the loyal viewers deserve an end to the story as well. CBS has made some bad choices about what shows stay and which go.

22. Dutchgirl says:

Sooo disappointed that this isn’t a continuation of the original by Shaun Cassidy.

23. Mona says:

I saw “American Gothic” and thought of Shaun Cassidy right away. I loved this show and was very disappointed when it ended, because it did not end with finality. There was truly no end. I don’t think I will be watching the new show because when they cancel series they don’t end it right, they leave you hanging.