Post Mortems
The Originals Season 3

The Originals Premiere: EP Talks Klaus and Cami's Hurdle, Hayley's Surprising Return and That Twisted Prophecy

If you were hoping The Originals would have sorted out their differences over the summer, Thursday’s season premiere must have been a pretty rude awakening.

TVLine got the scoop on the premiere’s (multiple) unfortunate twists from executive producer Julie Plec, but first, a quick recap: Klaus’ old pal/sire Lucien arrived in New Orleans with a surprise for his maker, a horrific prophecy about a “beast” that will lead to the Mikaelsons’ downfall. Klaus turned to Cami for comfort, but when his “therapist” rebuffed his advances, he took his aggression out on an unsuspecting art critic.

Meanwhile, Vincent and Cami worked with a new detective (hello, Jason Dohring!) to solve a string of ritualistic murders; Davina gave human Hayley a suspicious ultimatum, while Elijah feared the worst; Marcel converted the church into a supernatural fight club for his vampire recruits; and another shadow from the Mikaelsons’ past received some unsettling news.

Below, Plec makes sense of Cami and Klaus’ complicated romance, previews Lucien’s (potentially) evil shenanigans and gives us a peek at Hayley’s future with… eh, you should probably just read it for yourself:

TVLINE | Cami and Klaus seem to have switched roles; he’s opening up to her and she’s pushing him away. What does their future hold?
I think their future holds some emotional exploration. For Klaus, it’s so funny, he can’t even admit he’s in therapy — he has to call it their “little chats.” But in this time when everyone’s a little mad at him, he actually thinks she’s his rock, so she has to remind him that just because she’s supportive of him as a person, that doesn’t necessarily mean she condones his actions. If he acts out or does anything that she finds dishonorable, she’s going to hold him to it and call him out.

TVLINE | Speaking of acting out, the episode ended with him ripping that guy apart in the alley.
[Laughs] He sure did! Cami’s words really wounded him, and when Klaus is wounded, he reverts back to that little boy who acts out and kicks and screams. In vampire language, that translates to ripping off the limbs of a nasty art critic.

TVLINE | Should we be worried about him going off the rails again?
I don’t think Klaus ever specifically goes off the rails. He’s pretty deliberate in the choices that he makes, though he sometimes lets his emotions and temper get the best of him. I’d call this a temper tantrum and leave it at that for now.

TVLINE | I’m very intrigued by Alexis. Can you say anything about that “beast” we saw briefly in her vision?
All the visions and things that make up the prophecy that she delivers to Klaus will continue to have a presence in the future. Our characters are going to try very hard to ignore, then change, the outcome of what Alexis saw in her mind. But the prophecy, which will become much clearer in the next episode, will hang heavily over them for most of the season.

TVLINE | It seems like Lucien has, or at least hopes to have, a strong influence over Klaus. What’s that dynamic going to lead to?
Lucien’s like that little sidekick that buzzes around, and sometimes he makes you laugh, but other times you want to swat him. He’ll live up to that very nicely. He owes Klaus a lot, and with Klaus being his sire, he certainly doesn’t want any harm to come to him. But there’s history there we’ll learn more of as we get deeper into the season. We’ll have flashbacks that tell more of Lucien’s story and what his backstory is with Klaus. We’ll understand there’s some resentment and drama in the past to be hashed out.

TVLINE | Pardon this question, because it might be stupid — but in that last scene with Aurora, was that letter the same one Freya had written for Rebekah? Did she intercept it?
No, she was just getting a message from someone on the outside who was telling her something she did not like. Speaking of temper tantrums, Aurora is the queen of throwing a good one.

TVLINE | I loved seeing Hayley back in human form. What can you tease about her deal with Davina?
It’s a little bit of an unconventional agreement. Davina, in trying to assert her own power, realizes that she needs something equally powerful to back up her words. She’s recruiting the beast, so to speak, in order to provide protection and martial law as she deals with these renegade witches.

TVLINE | Are we going to delve into where Hayley’s heart really lies? She’s a touchy subject, because I feel like everyone wants her to be with someone different.
I think we know where her heart lies, but the complicated thing is that as much as she’s deeply bonded with Elijah, she made a commitment to Jackson that was born both out of obligation and — ultimately — out of love. It’s possible to have feelings for two people at once, so she’ll continue to struggle with being torn between her two emotional obligations: her connection to the Mikaelson family and her connection to Jackson and the wolves. She’ll find herself caught in the middle of that quite a lot.

TVLINE | Lastly, I love Jason Dohring, so I’m glad you snatched him up. Is there more to his character than what we saw in the premiere? He seems more straight-laced than I expected.
I wouldn’t say he’s totally straight-laced as much as he just takes his job very seriously. What’s nice about Detective Kinney is that he seems to be very much on the up. Those human characters are refreshing, the ones that aren’t aware of the whole supernatural community, yet seem to have a nose for mystery and can sense when something doesn’t add up. He’s going to be a thorn in Cami’s side because he’s going to sense, very quickly, that she knows more than she’s letting on.

Your thoughts on The Originals‘ premiere? Grade the episode below, then drop a comment.

1. Christine says:

Can we talk about Rebecca’s face work. Did she lose weight or get a nose job? Something is off.

2. Mare says:

I wish we’d get some spoilers on Elijah that doesn’t involve whether or not he gets with Hayley.

3. Maryann says:

What did the prophecy say? I had someone talk over top of it. Also, what do we know of Lucien? Was he in the flashback? I missed the names in the flashback.

4. Bwhit says:

It’s just my opinion but Elijah is Haley’s ‘love’, it doesn’t mean they will have a functioning relationship (obviously) but those two do truly love each other even with the odds stacked against them. I liked this episode and I think this is the first time Klaus has truly been at a loss with what to do.

• marsha says:

U like it or not elijah and hayley klaus and cami those 2 couples love each other u can see that if your watching the show take off your shipping glasses

• Phoenix5632 says:

I agree with you Marsha. Klaus and Cami, and Elijah and Hayley, obviously are the ones actually in love, but circumstances keep their relationships from being possible. Klaus becuz it would put Cami in extreme danger of he admitted openly he loved her, plus Klaus is often forced to do crazy things from a human perspective which bounce Cami’s feelings around for him. And Elijah and Hayley are only not together because for one Elijah knows it will make Klaus somewhat jealous if Hope grew up knowing his brother as her dad, plus Hayley’s commitment to her pack.

5. Laura says:

Very confusing that Rebecca took the baby at the end of last season to protect her and now the baby is all of a sudden back???? Did I miss something?

6. Phoenix5632 says:

I hope we get to see Klaus’s TRUE hybrid form. We’ve seen glimpses of it, most notably when Davina took out took out klaus Elijah and marcel at the compound and forced his true face to show. And when Hayley demonstrates to her pack her ability to turn at will by changing her hand. I hope we get to see Klaus’s full hybrid form at some point where he maintains it for an entire fight, possibly in defence of his daughter?, or against this mysterious “beast” that’s coming.

7. Phoenix5632 says:

Awesome episode! Can’t wait for next week!

8. Phoenix5632 says:

Kol better come back, ( in his original vampire body ) it’s been years and I’m still annoyed by the way he was killed off in TVD. Bring back Kol!

9. Phoenix5632 says:

I’m Really curious what all Hopes’ abilities are, she’s 1/4 original vampire ( we don’t know if her vampire part is like the other normal vampires, or if it’s like the Originals unique abilities ) she’s 1/4 witch ( first born as well ) and 1/2 werewolf ( her mother being from one of the royal and original werewolf bloodlines ) so I think it’s safe to say she’s going to be pretty darn powerful, and it’s unknown the extent of her abilities, or if she can even be killed, like is she immortal like a vampire, or like an original vampire, or mortal like a werewolf/witch, or is she something else immortal ? Can’t wait to find out, I hope they touch on more Hope stuff this season.

10. DD says:

The Beast is Hope and Davina is channeling her power and the Wolves since Hayley is linked with them

• Phoenix5632 says:

The beast isn’t Hope, but I’m guessing she does play some role in it somehow. No idea what yet. I have a feeling the beast is going to be Lucien or Tristan. Imagine a vampire channeling the power of an original. That’s all I’m going to say in case my theory is right.

11. Guest says:

Lol I love how they make this prophecy about all the Michaelsons being dead in a year..would make a very intriguing will they make it out alive storyline if not for their mothership show Tvd which has flash forward scenes of Stefan and co. (who are all part of klaus’ bloodline) 3 years in the future alive and healthy (for the most part).

• Phoenix5632 says:

You forget tho, Davina’s wanted to find a way to break the Sire line for awhile now so she can kill klaus, and not kill marcel and josh. Maybe she, or another witch is going to figure out how. My guess is Luciens witch, because he’s obvious trying to provoke klaus into acting out, and that wouldn’t make sense for Lucien to do unless he has a bigger agenda planned.

• Guest says:

Ooo!!! Totally forgot about that! Thank you for the reminder :)

• May I point out that even if their sire lines are somehow severed, they can’t kill off the Originals or there would be no more show. Maybe they could get away with killing Rebekah or even possibly Elijah (though I doubt that), but they definitely can’t kill Klaus. Unless they have no plans of a season 4, it’s not going to end that way.

• Phoenix5632 says:

Totally agree, but like Klaus said last season his family as no afinity for cheating death. And we don’t neccesarily know that the prophecy means their deaths. Again I don’t want to go into too much details in case I’m right, but just think about the part of the prophecy that says “as each falls it seeds the beast to come” or something like that. That’s a key part to the prophecy

• Phoenix5632 says:

I really hope if Davina or another witch breaks the Sire lines somehow that Kol is revived ( original Kol) before or shortly after one of the other originals is lost for abit. Kol is awesome, he’s like Klaus’s wingman but slightly less mature ( obviously cuz he was turned younger), I could see them two being quite the epic duo together down the road.

• Phoenix5632 says:

But with saying that, I’d still be pretty upset if Elijah was killed off.

12. joel f says:

Great season premiere!!!! TO & TVD back to back—a gift from the tv gods!!!!👍

13. Marsha says:

I think the cop is the beast i think he know cami is friends with Michaelson and he is the boss of the trinity

14. Jess says:

I absolutely love this show. I never really got into TVD, but I love the Originals. I really like the characters, especially Klaus and Elijah. I really hope this season Klaus and Camilla finally get together. Klaus is such a complex character, he’s by far my favorite!

15. The “beast” could be Klaus, losing himself to his werewolf side. I’ve always wanted to see his hybrid form. The prophecy didn’t say they’ll all necessarily die, just that they’d be ‘lost’.

• Phoenix5632 says:

Exactly! We’re on a similar thought track, altho I don’t think the beast will be Klaus, altho that would be awesome cuz yes I’ve alway wanted to see his true hybrid form too. But I have a feeling the beast is going to be Lucien or Tristan.

16. Gabriel Gray Wood Jnr. says:

About the begining of the series; I hope to see more about the new arrivals and the threat they up-hold upon the original family.

17. Rinti says:

I ship Cami and Will so bad, i hope they become a thing in a future. By the way, i loved the episode, i think is going to be a great season.