The Originals Season 3

The Originals Season 3: Hayley and Elijah Are 'Doomed to Love Each Other'

I do Hope you’re sitting down, because Daniel Gillies‘ explanation of Elijah and Hayley’s journey in Season 3 of The Originals — premiering Thursday at 9/8c on The CW — is kind of heartbreaking.

As you (should) know, Hayley is still cursed to remain a werewolf outside of a full moon, meaning she has but one night per cycle to see her baby. As you’ll discover in tomorrow’s season opener, Elijah is determined to make those rare occasions as enjoyable as possible, though their get-togethers don’t allow much time for “the talk.”

“I think it’s kind of masterful for the writers to have Elijah and Hayley not discuss their relationship,” Gillies tells TVLine. “There’s something kind of Dickensian about the whole thing; there’s sort of a parlor room romance that comes along with the restraint. It’s what makes them interesting, but I do think they’re sort of doomed to love each other.”

And with wolf hunters running rampant throughout the bayou, it’s also up to Elijah to keep Hayley safe, a challenge Gillies’ character accepts without hesitation.

“He’ll do what he has to do, but I don’t know if he’s necessarily dark about it,” he says when asked whether Elijah will go to a dark place to protect Hayley. “One thing I admire about Elijah is that, if nothing else, he’s economical. He sees occasional violence as a necessary evil, or even just another day at the office. And when it comes to the reunification of his family, I don’t think any measure is too dark. By human standards, he’ll certainly do some malevolent-looking things, but by 1,000-year-old vampire standards, it’ll be just like a trip to Starbucks for tea.”

Speaking of darkness, I wouldn’t hold my breath for a Klaus/Elijah reconciliation anytime soon, as both Hayley and Elijah blame Klaus for Hope’s mother’s condition — and rightfully so.

Concludes Gillies, “This show is really about these two brothers attempting to fight the inevitable, which is that they’re always going to be driving one another away.”

Mikaelson maniacs, what are your hopes for everyone in The Originals‘ third season? Drop ’em in a comment below.

1. Marissa says:

I can’t wait to see where Hayley and Elijah go this season.

2. Karen says:

Hate Elijah & Hayley they have no chem

3. silverpetticoatreview says:

The restraint is what will make their chemistry and relationship all the stronger on the show! Can’t wait to watch. :)

4. ana says:

So, the Cw has three shows about the relationship between two brothers and the punishment to women who come between them.

5. Carla Krae says:

Cycle of the full moon lasts 3 days, so I don’t know why Hayley has to be stuck to one night a month. Oversight…….

6. MyFairLady says:

After TVD I’m done with ships…I’m ok with whatever ship is on. Right now I think Jackson and Hayley are great together..Jackson sort of grounds her. I’d love to see her with Klaus at some point and Elijah too

7. Cassie says:

Enough with Haylijah. They’re so stale and boring. Hurry up and end them so we can get Klayley

8. Dany says:

3 seasons and we still don’t know why they love each other…👀 #SomeoneExplainMe

9. Lady says:

They are the most beautiful couple, i love them

10. Erika says:

Haylijah is life!

11. Zainab Ali says:

Haylijah finally!!!!! They are so good together and they’re chemistry is off the charts honestly the only ship I care about on the originals, since Kolvina is practically dead and gone

12. Ally says:

Shrieking gleefully at that spectacular still of Hayley in Elijah’s arms !! Is Klaus crashing the party? I hope he’s up to no good. Tristan looks like a devilishly, delicious baddie. I hope he’ll be. Marcel looks so fine. Hoping for more Marcel and Hayley friendship/alliance.

So excited for S3. I live vicariously through Hayley Marshall, so bring on all the complications, angst, triumphs, trials and tribulations. Klayley, Haylijah, Hami, etc, etc, the relationships are a whole lot more interesting with Hayley involved.

13. timtmac2 says:

ABSOLUTELY THE BEST SHOW ON TV. My husband and I bought the first 2 seasons and quickly became addicted. We just finished the last episode of season 2 Monday. Cannot wait to see the show tonight!.

14. Phoenix5632 says:

Can’t wait for tonights episode, this show is awesome! When Klaus and Elijah are fighting or tension between them is always interesting, it’s how we met them back in TVD. I hope Kol is finally brought back in his original vampire body, he was so entertaining and just awesome in TVD. I wonder if Freya is still immortal with Dalha gone.
    Also, does anyone else realize, that Freya’s irrational decisions she made last season, because of her fear of Dalha, is basically the reason for the conflict in her family right now. Like yes, Klaus went overboard abit, but he only had to do that stuff becuz Freya kept making the rest of the family distrust klaus, even more than normal, because she had to do things her way, which would have/did fail miserably lol. Klaus did what needed to be done, if he didn’t, they all would be dead, or at very least Hope would have been taken.

15. Phoenix5632 says:

Klaus and Freya are very similar individuals, both are smart, powerful, manipulative, confident, and want to be the one in charge. And that’s their downfall. As long as those two are at odds, so will the rest of the family be.

16. Nikki says:

I love Klaus, everything he does is for a reason and no one gets that! Just as everyone else does things the way they see fit, why is it always a problem when Klaus does? Awe because he goes to the extreme? So what, the way I see it, everyone that he has done harm to had it coming. They are all stupid to continue to turn on him knowing what he is capable of. I am team Klaus! Elijah and Hayley are irritating together. She need to stay with her husband and her wolf pack!

• Phoenix5632 says:

I totally agree, Klaus does what needs to be done for the greater good of his family. The only times he goes against them is when they are working against his plan which could put them all in danger. Like if Klaus didn’t do what he did last season, Dahlia would have killed them all, sure he made a few sacrifices to pull off his plan, but his family remained alive. Which is what is most important to him.

17. Rk says:

Heyley is married or did some of u forgot about that? And has 2 dad’s alot of uncles 2 aunts

18. Rk says:

Little hope has uncle Elijah kol that’s not around at all and fin did I forget anyone ?oh yes aunt Bex and hopes big aunt freya 2 dad’s one mom and uh ? Idk

19. K. says:

I wish klaus and Hayley get together it’s cuz der relationship would be unexpected twist and would be I treating and engaging to watch other den the expected love story between Elijah and Hayley dat eventually will become dead and boring

20. Shane says:

We’ve waited three seasons, please just let them be together!