Arrow Season 4 Spoilers

Matt's Inside Line: Scoop on Arrow, Castle, Quantico, S.H.I.E.L.D., Five-0, Once, Sleepy Bones, Reign and More

Will Arrow target two big secrets? Who has been “replaced” on Castle? Should S.H.I.E.L.D.‘s FitzSimmons fans fear the very worst? Read on for answers to those questions plus teases from other shows.

What is Arrow‘s Diggle willing to do to find the truth about Andy’s death? Will flashbacks with Andy parallel his current life (as Oliver’s tend to)? –Ann
First of all, the possibility of there being Diggle/Andy flashbacks this season is currently at “maybe,” executive producer Marc Guggenheim says, and there’s a reason for that. “In Season 1, we broke format and did a flashback from Moira’s perspective, in Episode 21. That worked out so well, we did more non-island flashbacks in Season 2,” he explains. “And that worked out so well, we thought, ‘Let’s do more in Season 3’ — but for my money, we ended up doing too many. Every time you did a non-island or non-Hong Kong Flashback, you stop that story so it prevents that story from gaining momentum.” As such, the first flashback to break away from format this season won’t happen until Episode 8.

Any scoop about Felicity’s father on Arrow? –Sara
Like, whether we’ll learn any information about the elusive figure now that Donna Smoak’s visit has been extended? “We’re hoping,” executive producer Wendy Mericle responds. Adds EP Marc Guggenheim: “We’re always talking about it, but we have to find the right story and the right moment. We trust that it will come to us when it’s meant to come to us.” Maybe it’s a good thing the daddy issues haven’t come up yet, because funny Felicity is back “with a vengeance” in Season 4, Guggenheim reports. “[Emily Bett Rickards is] on the top of her game. She’s hysterical. We’re definitely writing jokes for her, but she’s also finding humor in lines that weren’t intentionally humorous.” P.S. I’ll be moderating the Legends of Tomorrow panel at New York Comic-Con on Sunday, email me any burning Qs!

We know that Castle‘s Vikram Singh is a tech guy, and he’ll be working with the 12th Precinct. I was wondering if we’re going to see Tory (played by Maya Stojan) again. Is she still at the 12th? –Michelle
“Unfortunately, we might not be seeing Tory” any time soon, co-showrunner Terence Paul Winter reports. As Alexi Hawley explains, “Adding Vikram (as the 12th’s new digital investigator) takes that slot a bit, and because he serves a bigger storyline” — helping Beckett hunt down LOCKSAT — “it’s more productive for us to use him.” But speaking of recurring characters, I do have good news for Inside Line e-mailer Sarah: You’ll “definitely” be seeing Dr. Perlmutter again.

On Castle, who played the female from the AG’s office that shot herself? –Pepe
I thought she looked familiar, and indeed that was Jacqueline Obradors (from NYPD Blue, Freddie, NCIS) playing shady Allison Hyde.

I was wondering if youReign Frary know anything about Reign‘s Francis? Toby [Regbo] is nowhere to be found, and we are worried he might be done already. Can you easy our worry, please? Also, anything about Frary! –Charlie
Cheer up, Charlie — there’s plenty of Francis to be seen in Friday’s Season 3 premiere, and now that he’s been formally reunited with Mary, you can in turn expect lots of fun Frary action. Of course, there’s also that small matter of his impending death, which gets uncomfortably addressed in the first episode back. (Have those tissues ready.)

Is there still hope for Greer and Leith in Season 3 of Reign, or is their romance over for good? –Ilenia
If there is still hope for that pairing, it certainly isn’t visible in Friday’s premiere, which introduces a potential new suitor for the still-married Greer — and this one is accustomed to getting exactly what he wants. (Bonus scoop: Leith/Greer isn’t the only fan-fave relationship you should be worried about as we head into Season 3.)

I’m dying for a scoop on the Bones and Sleepy Hollow crossover event. –Cordell
In addition to all that we have reported thus far, the official Fox synopsis for the Oct. 29 event says that in the Bones hour, titled “The Resurrection in the Remains,” Brennan, Booth, Abbie and Ichabod must figure out how to work together to discover the identity of a 200-year-old headless corpse and how it is linked to a contemporary murder victim. Then in the Sleepy Hollow half, “Dead Men Tell No Tales,” Pandora unleashes a force to awaken the dangerous Red Coat General Howe, forcing the two teams of crimesolvers to find a way to save the titular town from the British Army of the Undead. “Can the power of Booth and Brennan combined with Abbie and Crane be enough to stop Pandora’s evil forces?” (Who thought they’d ever read such a Fox teaser!)

Could you please tell me who sings the song for the Haven Season 5 commercial? –Dayla
That is “The Last Boat’s Leaving,” by Bachelorette. And if I may attempt a clumsy segue, I’d like to point out that Syfy’s Haven won’t be “leaving” viewers hanging when it wraps its five-season run (starting this Friday), seeing as the final episodes were very much crafted as an ending to the series.

Loved the season premierePOTW-SHIELD-Iain of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Do you have any scoop on what or who is chasing Simmons on that other planet? –Michela
You will get some answers about Jemma’s otherworldly predicament this Tuesday, though I must warn you: The episode’s cold open, which is set a long time ago, will leave you fearing the very worst for Fitz’s “lost” love. Also in the surprisingly eventful Week 2: Ward kicks a whole lotta ass and you will learn what skill May excelled at when she was a young girl. Any guesses?

The Quantico twist that has me most curious so far is the twins (played by Yasmine Al Massri). Any scoop on what that is all about? –Meaghan
Nimah and Raina aka the twins-posing-as-one “were one of the very first things I thought about [when creating Quantico],” showrunner Josh Safran told me. And though the double take may seem far-fetched, Safran says, “It’s based on a KGB tactic that was used during the Cold War as a way to…. Um, I actually don’t want to say any more, because I was about to give it away! But you will discover why they were recruited, and it is very integral to the plot.”

Any chance Danny’s girlfriend will make a reappearance this season on Hawaii Five-0? –Sarah
Ha, be careful what you wish for, Sarah! Because as showrunner Peter M. Lenkov told me (with a hearty chuckle), “We’re going to do a Valentine’s Day episode, where everybody’s love life goes to the s—ter on that day!”

Will we be seeing Lily back on Once Upon a Time this season? –Aidy
Like Eion Bailey’s August, who also was in the mix as Season 4 came to a close, Lily (played by Agnes Bruckner) is theoretically “hanging out there somewhere [in Storybrooke],” series co-creator Adam Horowitz tells me. “We have a plan to pick up her story, though it’s not going to be right away. It may be the second half [of Season 5].”

Will Once Upon a Time‘s 100th episode be the conclusion of the [Dark Swan] arc, or will it be more of a retrospective clip episode? –Linda
The ABC series’ milestone hour in fact will kick off Season 5B, in the spring. P.S. I’ll be moderating the Once panel at New York Comic-Con this Friday, wave if you see me!

Real questions, real answers. If you need the Inside Line on a favorite show, email reporting by Vlada Gelman and Andy Swift)

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

1. c-mo says:

More Purlmuter is a GREAT thing!

• S. says:

Ha! I love that that was the thing I came down here to say and it was the very first comment. He’s great and he and Nathan play so well off one another. Perlmutter needs a fan club.

2. Danielle says:

“Ward kicks a whole lotta ass”

3. LILY says:

can’t wait for the Bones/Sleepy Hollow crossover. I don’t watch SH but this might make me. The Press Releases are fun!

4. Jennifer says:

Thanks for the ouat scoop on Lily. Looking forward to more of her and Mal.

5. heather says:

I am so excited for the Bones & Sleepy crossover, I don’t watch Sleepy but I DEFINITELY will be tuning in for both!!☝

The Bones ep will be extra cute with Booth &Brennan trying to out prank each other for Halloween 😍👌

6. GirlvsTV says:

I’m still excited for Arrow, but really bummed the whole Felicity’s Dad storyline seems to be getting pushed back again. They’ve been hinting at this stuff since season 2 and no pay off in sight, but we have to sit through repetitive ‘family drama’ storylines for other characters. At least we’re finally getting somewhere with Digg’s brother this season.

• Liz1 says:

Lots of fans have been speculating that DD is her dad. Maybe they’re just trying to surprise us.

• GirlvsTV says:

I’m just so wary of this show after last season. I want to believe Felicity will get good storylines this year but frustrated the one story fans keep asking about (and that the show has teased) is getting pushed back again. DD might end up being her Dad, but I kind of don’t want Felicity to have a psycho evil father – we’ve already got that with Thea/Malcolm.

• Liz1 says:

I understand. I’m wary too and I don’t want DD to be her dad either. I’m gonna give them the benefit of the doubt for now because it’s so early but if we’re still hearing that her story is being pushed back YET AGAIN by mid season, I’ll be so mad. I’ve been waiting for Felicity to have her own story since season 1. It’s beyond time!!

7. GildedRose says:

Well now I’m confused. The Arrow writers have said since season 1 that they know who Felicity’s father is and what they wanted to do with it (ditto season 2 and 3) and that they kept having to “push it back.” Which is it? You have a story or you don’t? Grrrrrr. I tend to think Diggle won’t need a lot of flashbacks to address the Andy/HIVE story because it’ll actually play out in the present. One irksome thing to me as well… Felicity Smoak does not need to be “defined” or limited to strictly being “funny.” What the heck? She should be allowed to be multi-layered just like every other character on this show. Yes, she’s funny. Yes, Emily Bett Rickards has great comedic timing, yes, I adore her quirksome ways, but please don’t be limiting her story potential based on that or we’ll have some issues.

• kath says:

I don’t mind them pushing it back further if it means that Damian Darhk isn’t her father. Between Thea, Tommy, Nyssa, and Laurel’s problems with Quentin, there are enough evil father storylines on this show.

8. Sarahii says:

“But you will discover why they were recruited, and it is very integral to the plot.”

I was assuming the FBI were none the wiser to the twins switcheroo.
    I agree with Meagha, my favourite twist from the premiere.

9. LEP says:

Great Willy Wonka, Matt.

10. CactusRose says:

I’ll watch the Bones part of the crossover, but count me out on the SH part. Zombies are just not my thing. Sounds kinda stupid.

11. Liz1 says:

DIGGLE AND FELICITY SCOOP. AWESOME! Thank you. I’m so excited for these two this year.

12. pem says:

Cant wait for Arrow! Totally looking forward to Diggle and Felicity storylines. And of course Oliver and Felicity happiness.

13. Rebecca says:

Will there be any scoop regarding Emilie de Ravin’s pregnancy?

14. John NYC says:

Funny Felicity will be a change.

15. lkh says:

A little surprised that Vikram will be joining the 12th–thought he might remain Beckett’s secret tech guy to quietly research Locksat. He has had much more presence than Tory ever did.

I like Perlmutter–he gets away with being grumpy with Castle sometimes–something no one else seems to be able to escape fans’ anger if they aren’t always pleasant to him. Poor Espo!

ME’s/pathologists see stuff–sometimes they are cranky, no nonsense, very clinical.

• Just one thing says:

Apparently Beckett’s hiring of Vikram at the 12th isn’t supposed to tip off the Big Bad LOCKSAT guys? She’s just going to chill with him publicly, just as she chills with her husband publicly.
      But it was essential that Caskett break up. And it has nothing to do with anything behind the scenes. Mmkay.

• Anonymous says:

I think it is so true tensions on the set hmmmmmm.

• Bill says:

Locksat BAD GUYS apparently will ony target your spouse if you are HAPPILY MARRIED and LIVING TOGETHER. If you are separated, everything is cool and the spouse has nothing to worry about. What a brilliant, “bold” plot twist by the showrunners to break up Castle and Beckett.

• lkh says:

“It is a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma but PERHAPS there is a key”

but perhaps not :( Stand by, we’ll see.

Again, I say that even though the ‘bad guys’ know of Vikram, they may think the death of the AG woman means everyone is moving on because Beckett thinks it’s over. And the guy needed a job(maybe) and she doesn’t love him and thus doesn’t have the same extreme response to acute violence and risk as she does in what she deems is the necessary action to protect her husband. Tell me clearly what else she should have done–keeping in mind Castle’s predictable juvenile behavior…

(was that a run on sentence? :[ ).

• lkh says:

ps if you say tell Castle, I’ll know you haven’t been paying attention to the characters and how they will behave. Consider how telling him would actually increase the risk to him and others.

• ndixit says:

The bias is strong in this one. If you actually look back at the show’s history, it’s Beckett who gets into trouble when she hides secrets from Castle and goes solo. She’s the one who gets thrown off rooftops and has to go on the run in these circumstances. So maybe you are the one who needs to pay a bit more attention.

• lkh says:

ndixit–you’re probably familiar with the debate tactic called ad hominem–where rather than answering the question or point at hand, you attack the person who offers the question or position. This was a good example, thanks.
            Now, what is your answer to the question at hand? :]

• ndixit says:

You want an answer to this question. The simple answer is that it would make no difference what so ever to the risk Castle is in. If they actually wrote Castle in character, he would actually get even more involved given he knows how Beckett’s obsessions land her in serious trouble. So I’d say, Beckett is putting him in even more potential danger because Castle would be navigating this issue blind rather than with Beckett, which is the only way they have ever been able to work through Beckett’s obsessions. Now that I have answered your question, why don’t you answer mine?

• lkh says:

ndixit — I see no question, other than the one that says do I want you to answer the question-sans question mark. So to answer your question, yes, I want you to answer my question. And thank you. You make a good point.

• ndixit says:

Here’s the question. Given that Beckett always gets into trouble when she goes solo and she has only solved her previous obsession because she got help from Castle, and given Castle’s inquisitive nature, how does her decision to leave Castle keep him safe in any logical way???

• CaptainOats says:

Ugh, @ndixit & @ikh, you make them both sounds so horrible. Thanks for pointing out to me why I’ve been less and less excited to watch this show the last couple of seasons. Remember when it, and these two characters, were fun?

• Bill says:

What Beckett should have done is leave the whole LOCKSAT thing alone. The suicide of the AG woman closes the case as far as the police/feds are concerned. She has a new job (promotion) and a husband who loves her. Her mother’s killers are either dead or in jail. Time to be grateful for what you have. Time to move on and live your life, not create new obsessions that push away those most important.

• lkh says:

Bill-You might be right–that would certainly have been the easiest approach IF she were capable of it. Either way, she’s got a mess going on.

16. kmw says:

I was not initially on board with Bones and Sleepy crossover but it sounding better and better. I cannot wait to see Brennan with Ichabod

17. Linda says:

Thanks for answering my question about Once’s 100.

18. kevb62 says:

One of the major problems with Quantico are the twins. It’s treating the FBI as if they’re idiots. SOMEONE would have noticed 2 people waking into the complex.

I can suspend disbelief only so much, especially for a show that’s supposedly based in “reality”.

• Shaun says:

Well,when the top lady is in charge of them then much more is possible.

• KCatty says:

Why are you assuming they walked in together?

• Manav Gami says:

If Big brother’s dumbest houseguests could figure out the twin twist in week 2, FBI recruits can’t even tell the difference. Come on.

• Rebecca says:

I mean, he just said it was based on a KGB Operation. As it stands, the majority of the recruits, except for the one with the glasses, aren’t really paying much attention to her/them. It’s a matter of hiding in plain sight (and their lack of attention to detail).

19. guest says:

I didn’t even realize that the episode of Haven I watched was not the series final…oops! Not sure I need that second part.

20. Pete says:

or Arrow could get rid of all flashbacks and be a much better show

21. sarah says:

Yay!! Thank you for answering my question! Arye Gross as Perlmutter on Castle is one of my favorite guest stars ever. He’s hilarious with Nathan Fillion.

22. Anonymous says:

Purlmuter is great though

23. lame says:

Vikram is here to correct the major brain fart of last season, RC’s abduction and how everyone forgot it happend for half the year. Vikram will keep Locksat constant to some degree. Maya was sacrificed as was Gates for the storyline.
    Let’s see how W/H rehab KB , her character is in the dumpster.

24. Manav Gami says:

Quantico’s twin twist reminds me of big brother 17’s Liz and Julia

25. mac says:

“Blablabla, Felicity is back with a vengance…”

can she just leave with one? She has torn the show down with her melodramatic romantic crap. Let’s just cut off Olivers balls and have him fight crime non-stop, his romantic arc has become the biggest focus on the show and Felicity is essentially the reason that happened Get rid of her

26. Josh says:

Uh, as a fan of Bones and Sleepy Hollow, this crossover sounds awful and insulting. How can they basically change the DNA of Bones for a crossover like this? This should change the characters’ lives.

• heather says:

From what I gather Booth & Brennan absolutely do NOT believe in any supernatural aspect, they have their science & use it to refute any claim made by Abbi & Crane.

• 4theloveoffilm says:

Yeah. I’m skeptical. I don’t watch SH (not my kind of show at all), but I’m wondering how they’re going to deal with Brennan and science and Booth and God and on and on and so forth. Sigh.

• suzi says:

A ghost and a psychic, both been on Bones. I’m quite curious as to how these two favorite shows of mine will do this, can’t wait.

• kmw says:

They aren’t changing the DNA of Bones. Brennan will not start believing in supernatural things at all no matter where the story is going. I think it will be amusing to see Ichabod having conversations with Brennan. There should be a lot of good quips coming from both shows episodes with them and Booth and Abbie Looking forward to it

27. Stacy says:

Don’t really care about seeing Amber again, but I am ready for the writers to tie up (and write off) this loose, dead end. I don’t think the pair had any chemistry. I’d much rather watch Danno against his ex Rachel, or somebody new.

28. Kim R says:

I swear on every show we watch, at some point I say to my husband, “NCIS”. Whether an extra or a guest star, someone ends up having played a part on NCIS. :)

• JoyAnne says:

It surprises me that they have never asked David James Elliot to do a guest spot. ‘Harm’ would be a very senior officer now. Be interesting to see him with McGee remembering the season he played such a wrotten kid (not like McGee at all) on Jag. . His last scene was the admiral taking him to sign up for the navy. Or was it the marines.

• Shanno says:

OMG, so do I!

29. Sarah says:

Thanks for the answer to my H50 question!!! You’re the best. Not gonna lie though that spoiler makes me really ridiculously nervous :O

30. Alyse says:

I read that the Greer and Leith relationship is over. The characters have changed too much. Apparently Leith is going to have a relationship Claude.

31. Athena says:

Glad that Felicity Smoak is getting her spark back again this season, but she is more than just a “funny” character. Quips and innuendos are not the only things she can offer. If there’s anything Season 3 showed, it’s that Felicity is a complicated, layered character, briliantly played by a versatile actress. “Arrow” is so blessed to have Emily Bett Rickards. I’m glad she’s getting a storyline about being CEO of Palmer Tech. I love that her relationship with Oliver is being explored. But I also need the story about her father to be told at this point. “Arrow” has been teasing it since Season 2. If “Arrow” doesn’t have the story about Papa Smoak ready, I hope the writers have something for Felicity that is. As a fan, I’ve waited too long for her story to be told. I need Wendy Mericle and Marc Guggenheim to keep their promise that Felicity is front and center with Diggle and Oliver this season. I need them to remember she’s one of the characters I’m watching for.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

So, now if a producer sings the praises an actress’ comedic work, he’s not appreciating her dramatic work? (Which was well on display in Season 3.) Huh?

• Liz1 says:

I think it’s just that some people want Felicity to just be the funny quirky IT girl and want her to stay the same way she was in season 1, while many of us want her to evolve beyond that. I’m glad that she’s back to her fun self but I hope there’s more than that to come!

• Athena says:

I don’t think I said anything in my response that implies Marc is not appreciating Emily Bett Rickards’ dramatic work, but there seems to be a lot of interviews these days with Marc and Wendy Mericle going “funny” Felicity is back. Like I said, I appreciate that the spark is back, but then again, I didn’t have problems with Felicity being emotional in the face of disastrous situations last season. I’m just reminding them that humor, one-liners, innuendos, quips are not the whole package when it comes to Felicity Smoak. Think you might be reading a little too much in my response, Matt.

32. John says:

“We are going to do a Valentine’s Day episode where everyone’s love life goes into the cr……per” how original… No seriously, I’ve never seen an episode where that happened. C’mon, can the writers come Up with something more original than this?

33. Angela says:

This “Bones”/”Sleepy Hollow” crossover sounds like fun! Good way to get us in the mood for Halloween. I’m looking forward to it.

34. Jessica says:

I am so ready to give up on ever watching Castle again I can only take so much and right now I am at my breaking point. And until castle and Beckett are back together I am done watching the show and they won’t be back together anytime soon cause she cares more about her job then she does him and I am hoping next week he just says goodbye to her.

• jahoney1 says:

I sadly agree. I would tune in though if he would get upset like he did in episode 3*24 and 4*23. Divorce papers would be an interesting touch. Sad how far this show has fallen.

• John NYC says:

Had you still been watching you’d know essentially none of that is true.

But hey enjoy those TVD reruns!

35. Melinda’s childhood talent–I’m going with chess. She seems like a chess player.

36. Dr. M says:

Oh, damn. I had succeeded in block out all memory that Arrow does flashbacks. They almost never contribute to the story and drag everything to a halt. The island ones are the most painful.
    I thought they learned their lesson last season, but I guess that’s what the FF button is for.

37. Dr.Enie says:

• kath says:

I couldn’t agree more.

I’ve had enough of Castle’s sad puppy eyes and Becket being bitchy to him. I don’t need to see it again this season.

38. Maria says:

The one hater of Felicity in here claiming she’s bringing the show down because of the romance aspect. You obviously didn’t watch the first season as that one had a love triangle going on and it was full blown soap opera. You have Oliver in a committed monogamous relationship and this is what’s ruining the show for you? Don’t get me started on the cheating, the pregnant woman, the sister swapping and the sleeping with your father’s mistress. Oh the haters are so misguided it’s not even funny anymore to be writing these same things. But, I guess if you hate Felicity than you liked all that soap opera crap before.

39. Jake says:

That Bones/Sleepy Hollow crossover sounds stupider than the Family Guy Stewie animated scene they did with Booth.
    I think there must be a secret competition between the show runners for Castle and Bones, trying to see who can do the worst plot lines for their respective shows. That would explain a lot of what has been going on in both shows for the past few seasons…..

40. Tania Aquino says:

Any native speaker to help me with this one?
    About Hawaii 5-0: “We’re going to do a Valentine’s Day episode, where everybody’s love life goes to the s—ter on that day!”

What is “s—ter”?
    Thank you in advance.

• Shannon says:

As per the rules of TVLine, I can’t say the exact word. S—ter is the curse word equivalent of “crapper,” meaning their love lives go down the toilet.

41. kath says:

I’m excited to see Felicity back as the old Felicity rather than the one who (justifiably) cried so many tears last season. Can’t wait to see if she kicks ass as the new CEO of PT.

Not so happy to hear that Maya Stojan isn’t going to be back on Castle. Nothing against the new guy but I’m really hating the storyline this season. Why can’t Beckett and Castle solve the case together.

I want to know more about Simmons on S.H.I.E.L.D. but I dislike the ship. She can do better than Fitz.

42. Rae says:

Thanks for the Arrow and Once scoop, Matt! Can’t wait to see what else you can dish up from New York. :)

43. What’s up witht his FitzSimmons nonsense? They are like brothers, stop trying romantic stuff, ewww! AoS looks terrible this season!

44. dawn says:

I don’t like the direction there heading in castle seriously separating castle and becket the show definitely not as good with them apart

45. Karen says:

Catherine leaving Steve on 5-0 is far too similar to his mother’s role to endure watching. For several years, we have been watching her be his strength and vice versa. Now she’s CIA or something similar and it’s shades of Doris –the inexcusable abandoner of her children–all over again. This repeated story line isn’t funny and makes me want to stop watching. So much could be written with Cat and Steve as a married couple, just like Kono and Adam. There’s so much real world when series also include love and life and not just “Steve saves the day.” That’s gets old and is a bit comic book for the 30-40 something crowd. Can’t we allow characters to grow up like Danny (of all people) has, and have backstories that involve spouses and children–just like the real world–or do all action shows have to have loner macho men? Don’t you get it–part of what makes them macho men is having something to protect and instead of getting that message across, you guys have made Cat a macha woman who doesn’t need anything from a man except occasional sex, and to be arm candy for a date now and then. Boring and not real world. Fix it please.

46. Stephanie says:

Any updates on Gilmore Girls?