Exclusive

CSI: Cyber Boss Talks D.B.'s Arrival, Avery's Ex and More Season 2 Teases — Plus: Watch a Premiere Clip

CSI worlds collide once again this Sunday (CBS, 10/9c) when Ted Danson’s D.B. Russell joins the cast of CSI: Cyber, and TVLine has an exclusive first look at his reunion with Patricia Arquette’s Avery Ryan.

“Avery’s definitely still the head of the department, so there’s no conflict there,” showrunner Pam Veasey tells TVLine. “They have that same wonderful dynamic we first saw in the backdoor pilot on CSI.”

But it sounds like Avery won’t be the only woman in D.B.’s life for much longer.

“Nelson decides he’s going to help D.B. date in Washington,” Veasey teases. “He introduces D.B., the old-fashioned guy who still walks up to people and says ‘Hello,’ to the world of dating apps.”

Below, Veasey drops six more hints about what’s to come for the Cyber team in Season 2:

* “Nothing is off-limits” in terms of what can be hacked this season, Veasey explains, offering up “basketballs, pacifiers, plants, keychains, even roaches” as examples. “We’ve even gone to sexual toys!”

* Last year, Avery was driven to find out who hacked her practice; this year, her drive is to chase one of the most notorious hackers in the world, known as “Python.”

* Veasey teases a “fun reveal of a new relationship within our team” during the premiere.

* The premiere also provides closure to last season’s arc about the man who killed Krumitz’s parents. Reveals Veasey, “We immediately close that idea and solve the court case.”

* Season 2 will reveal new details about the death of Avery’s daughter, and the show will periodically check in on her ex-husband.

* Nelson’s origin story will be explored, revealing how he got started and what initially landed him in trouble.

Hit PLAY on the preview clip above, then drop a comment below: What do you hope to see in Cyber‘s second season?

1. Jess says:

i can’t wait for this to start. i love csi cyber. it’s one of my favorite new shows

• Weezy says:

I can’t wait either. CSI Cyber is the most unintentionally hilarious show ever conceived….come on people you didn’t think ANY show about fear mongering regarding hackers wouldn’t be picked up for a second season given the current climate??

2. Shaun says:

This wasn’t cancelled?

• lechatnoir says:

i thought so too. CSIcyber needs a complete overhaul. They need to get rid of Arquette . She is not remotely believable in her role. Bow wow needs to be let go too. Ted Danson, frankly meh . I’d much rather they add Laurence Fishburn

• H says:

The were on the fence but chose to cancel the Mothership instead, plus Arquette just won an Oscar. Airing on Sundays after the Good Wife, and with a short season (I think 13 or 15 episodes) implies there won’t be a third season tho. Then they’ll reserve the same treatment to Person of Interest.

3. prish says:

The husband belly laughed at the vacuum joke, “He was made for that role. He was good, as good as they come.”

4. Mr. Tran K says:

This doesn’t look good for CSI: Cyber now on Sundays at 10 but I’m not happy about why CBS renewed the Patricia Arquette fronted series.

5. Alice says:

Wait…. what happened to D.B.’s family? He had a wife and a kids….

• Madoqua says:

Don’t you remember? It was implied that the wife dumped DB and went back to Seattle to be with her daughter. I think the son was contemplating transferring to a school in Philly after the death of his coach in Vegas. Of course, DB only took the job in Vegas to be closer to his son who most likely decided to play for the Philly college since DB moved east. DC’s not really all that far from Philly so they’ll still be close.

• AmyCSI says:

Do you know in what episode it was mentioned? I’ve been trying to find it! I never really thought they’d get a divorce… even though his wife (played by Frasier’s Peri Gilpin) appeared in only 4 (or was it 5?) episodes I loved her character and how well she took on the role of his wife… sad she won’t be doing the role on Cyber :(

• Yeah, that’s what I wondered! We didn’t hear anything on CSI about him getting a divorce, right? I thought they were happy… *confused*

6. Sandra says:

I’m sad that CSI has ended. However, Avery is fierce; a force to be reckoned with, as the saying goes. This has become one of my favorite shows. And the team is just as good. They work together very well. Yeah CSI Cyber…you go team!!!

7. Maryann says:

So what about D.B.’s wife?! He was happily married last I checked. What did I miss?!

• Madoqua says:

The granddaughter’s abduction and the murder of the son’s coach was just too much for the wife. She moved back to Seattle to be closer to their traumatized daughter and granddaughter. She and DB stopped communicating which didn’t help their marriage any. In the episode where the coach was murdered the son got an offer to play for a school in Philadelphia which he must have accepted because DB was moving east at the very end of the final episode of CSI.

8. Lulu says:

I like this show. It’s almost a guilty pleasure but it is easy watching!

9. matty says:

This show still needs some serious retooling. Frankly I’d dump the entire cast other than Arquette, Van Der Beek and Danson. The younger cast needs to be recast completely.

10. Ronny says:

I want to see Krumitz in cage fight.

11. Dizzle says:

I in turn cannot wait for Vulture’s hilarious recaps of this show to start up again. Have never actually watched an episode but those recaps make it look CBS’ best comedy.

12. K says:

Another show ruined for me. Quit CSI when Danson joined. Won’t watch this one anymore either

13. Columbus says:

This show last season was unintentionally hilarious: Arquette has no affect at all. I know that she is an Oscar winning actress but she is terrible here. I can’t believe that they renewed this instead of giving the Mothership one last season.

14. Steven Wagenheim says:

Did they just drop the season 1 finale story of the sister killing the guy? There has been no reference to it at all this season.

15. Vicki Crone says:

What happened to DBs wife. They were still together after the abduction and I though they were all heading to Seattle.