How to Get Away With Murder Recap: Girl, Look It's a Body!

With a twist or a gasp (or at least a vicious put-down) every 12-15 minutes, How to Get Away With Murder is the kind of show that inspires some pretty outlandish theories. So I hope you’ll indulge my newest and craziest hypothesis:

The third leg in ABC’s #TGIT lineup is a non-musical adaptation of the Broadway classic Chicago.

I know, I know, Shondaland’s most treacherous treat is actually set in Philadelphia. And perhaps the plots aren’t entirely parallel. But five or six years from now, when Annalise and Bonnie don their tap shoes for a fantastical routine set to “Roxie’s Suite,” all the puzzle pieces will come together.

Be real, people. The “he had it comin'” refrain of “Cell Block Tango” is pretty much the mission statement for EP Pete Nowalk and his merry band of writers. Annalise somehow manages to be Billy Flynn, Velma Kelly and Matron Mama Morton — only with 10 times more sexual intensity. And — stay with me here — when my theory finally gets validated sometime in 2021, we’ll all go “A-HA!” and understand Thursday night’s installment is an extended riff on the delectable jam “When Velma Takes the Stand.”

All together now… See that Keating girl/ Make that jury whirl/ When she turns it on/ She’s gonna get ’em goin’ ’til she’s got ’em gone

OK, this recap is officially off the rails. Is anyone still reading? (Oh, hi Mom, thanks!) Let me abruptly shift gears and get to weighing in on the actual action from “She’s Dying”:

SARAH BURNSWHOSE PRELIMINARY HEARING IS THIS, ANYWAY? | As That Bitch Prosecutor (born name Something or Other St. Clair) tries to prove there’s enough evidence to take Nate to trial for the murder of Sam Keating, she gets sidetracked with trying to prove Annalise’s guilt. “Let the slut shaming begin,” sighs Connor, when the questions begin about La Keating’s sexual relationship with Nate — leading our protagonist to deliver a sensationally salty retort: “Your strategy has been to attack me with accusations and insinuations — making it clear this is not a preliminary hearing, but a witch hunt. And I did not put my hand on this court’s bible to be burned at the stake — especially by a petty, foolish, amateur prosecutor who doesn’t deserve mine or anyone else in this court’s respect!” St. Clair says that Annalise’s outburst/temper proves she’s “more than capable of murder,” but c’mon, it’s not like she leapt out of the witness box and put her hands around the JV attorney’s throat. (Well, not yet, anyway.)

Nate, however, throws a hitch in the plan concocted by Annalise and Eve by refusing to lie on the stand and say he and Sam had a fight on Murder Night (which would explain his print on Sam’s ring). So Eve does what she’s paid to do — and presents an alternate theory placing blame for Sam’s death on Annalise. It’s brutal, it’s personal, and it’s partially true. And while it leaves Annalise devastated, it also convinces the judge that St. Clair needs to go back to the drawing board and build a better case. Nobody’s popping champagne, exactly, but Annalise has always been more of a vodka gal, anyway, no?

“NOW GO HOME, AND DON’T KILL ANYONE” | Slow clap for Annalise’s Zinger of the Week, delivered to Caleb and Catherine Hapstall, the (maybe incestuous?) adopted children accused of murdering their rich parents whose case Annalise took last week. Remember the judgmental massage-loving aunt who was a witness for the prosecution, then ended up with her throat slit? Catherine lies and provides an all-night alibi for Caleb, the police find Caleb’s DNA in the aunt’s car, and things are looking verrrrry dubious — until Oliver hacks into the police DNA lab and learns the evidence was planted. (It’s all a little convoluted – I’m just gonna take their word for it. If it’s good enough for the judge and all…)

SARAH BURNS, FAMKE JANSSEN50 SHADES OF JEAN GREY | When Eve (Famke Janssen) comes to apologize to Annalise for her courtroom brutality, Annalise is all, “Oh, we’re fine — I’m just pouring a bag of chips and definitely not making eye contact with you, you *^%#&@* Judas!” But Eve has her own super powers of interrogation, and so finally Annalise admits it was the way Eve made her line of questioning personal and hurtful that bothered her — a claim Eve doesn’t deny. See, she’s still in love with Annalise after all these years, and she hates it. “It was good with you — and real. Too real,” Annalise replies tearfully. “So I got scared and I left. But you’re the most beautiful thing that ever happened to me.” And just like that, they’re kissing, caressing, undressing and — as Wendy Williams might say — getting their swirl on. The end result leaves Eve utterly Keatingnotized — and in the morning, she’s all, “You should move to NYC and let me get you a job at Columbia and it doesn’t mean we’re married and…” They kiss once more — on the porch – in the cold light of morning — and Nate sees it all from his surveillance perch in his car. Could he be the one who’s responsible for Annalise’s flash-forward condition? (Nahhhh. Too early and too obvious, I say.)

WINNERS NEVER QUIT | Annalise continues to verbally punish Lurky McChurchmouse for murdering Rebecca — and then making her clean up the remains. “You play little girl lost, and I play mommy!” Keating rages — and finally we get some insight into the women’s dynamic. Bonnie asks if she should quit, and Annalise points out that once again, Bonnie is putting all the power in her hands. “You say you want me to be like you, but you don’t — not really,” shoots back Bonnie. “You want me like this so I don’t forget what I owe you. Well, I don’t forget, Annalise. Ever.” And that leads to an “I killed Rebecca FOR YOU!” confession that drives Annalise to the vodka and the brink of despair. It’s her contention that Bonnie — and pretty much everyone else in her sphere — needs saving from her. “Lock me up. That way you can all finally be safe.” Maybe these two need a carefree girls’ weekend in Atlantic City? Unlike Annalise on the stand, I would have no objections to that!

CHARLIE WEBERIN OTHER NEWS… | Connor tells the Keating 5 about Oliver’s HIV status — to throw Asher off the scent of their Sam-related guilt, and Asher spills the intel back to Oliver in well-meaning but utterly clueless fashion. Frank gets Laurel all hot under the skirt — only to tell her he’s closed for business til she stops treating him like a gigolo. And a cute guy makes a date with Michaela in the courthouse — SHOULDN’T THESE KIDS ALL BE MORE SUSPICIOUS OF STRANGERS IN SEASON 2 — and it’s all well and good ’til Wes finds the guy’s face in a group photo of Rebecca’s discarded belongings.

ANNALISE IN THE PARLOR WITH A BULLET WOUND | We learn that Wes isn’t just fleeing the Hapstall mansion in the flash-forward, but running to Laurel and Michaela. Only problem is, they don’t know where Connor is. Turns out, he’s checking for Annalise’s pulse, refusing to leave her to die, but also aggressive-aggressively telling her it’s always her fault. In a sign that the students are a closer-knit unit now, the other three run back into the house and convince Connor to flee with them — and leave their boss lady to whatever the fates have in store — before the cops arrive. But as they make their way down the steps, we see ANOTHER DEAD BODY! (Side note: If Ryan Murphy needs a setting for the next American Horror Story, this mansion is apparently more deadly than the inn in The Shining.) Whoot, there she is — That Bitch Prosecutor (who we just learned is now taking over the Hapstall case) laying dead in front of the house, her skull cracked, presumably from a fall from the balcony.

Would this be the appropriate time to paraphrase Chicago? She had it comin’/ She had it comin’/ She only had herself to blame… You’re right, it’s too soon. So let me pass the mic to you!

What did you think of HTGAWM Season 2 Episode 2? Who gunned down Annalise? Who killed St. Clair? And what to make of the brother-sister accused? (Totes guilty, right?) Share your theories in the comments!

1. John says:

I don’t think that was Frank who was looking at them in the car..it was Nate, unless I wasn’t paying attention

2. pecola says:

It’s Nate that spots Annalise and Jean Grey from the car.

3. abz says:

The new guy is definitely Eggs911. Just throwing a wild guess out there,: If they’re gonna continue the bit with Mickaela ending up with gay/bi guys, he might also be the guy that gave Oliver HIV. Who knows.
    I think I’m enjoying this season so far more than the first. I hope they keep it up.
    Really wish they’d turn up the lighting on the show. The darkness makes sense in some scenes but in others, it’s a struggle sometimes just trying to see things. Same issue was happening on Grey’s Anatomy for several seasons. Can Shondaland not afford decent lighting for their sets?

• Sissy S says:

At the end of last weeks episode Eggs911 responded while they were at the club. There was a shot of her phone left in her pocketbook with the return text. So yeah, of course “the stranger” is Eggs911. Question is had she been texting him since their club outing?

• LADY_in_MD says:

I agree with you on the lighting I couldn’t tell who the second body was at the end then they showed the prosecutor so I figured it was her

• Janine says:

Thank you! The first season was so tough to watch!

• Jess says:

The lighting is perfectly fine when I watch it on Hulu so maybe you guys just need to change the settings on your tvs…

4. S says:

It was Nate looking at them from the car, not Frank.

5. Joey says:

Pretty sure that “Bye Felicia” has reached the point of oversaturation when a WASP-y dudebro like Asher uses it.

6. laurelnev says:

Nice to see Nate blackmailing his attorney with the truth! The next couple of weeks should be very interesting…was that the bro/sis’s mansion where the next demises are slated to occur?

7. Wendy says:

Gotd@mn it! I missed it. I had my phone set to go off. Why didn’t it????!!!!!!

8. More likely nonetheless is that police made use of a more traditional approaches to locate the administrators of the Darknet markets.

9. Francis Juan says:

It’s funny how both seasons start off showing the four same students in a negative plot, that comes together towards the end of the season. Connor tells a seemingly, dying Professor Keating that it is and was always her fault. They were the ones (except Asher, who was not part of the vicious plot) who did not call the police when Sam Keating was killed by Wes. They tried to handle the situation without Professor Keating’s consent, and she bailed them out. Wes was so foolish to trust Rebecca. She texted Egg 911 who most likely is the guy who is coming on to Machela. I believe that he has something to do with plotting revenge against Annalise Keating’s Law Firm. Or at the very least, he’s trying to find information on Rebecca’s whereabouts. What does Asher and Bonnie have to do with the outcome of all of this???

• Rook says:

For all we know Asher could be involved in the plot somehow, it just hasn’t been revealed.

• herman1959 says:

There’s nothing funny about it; the same flashforward/flashback structure is being used again because it worked so well in the first season.

10. lora carillo says:

I’m calling bulls##t on ending these first 2 episode with the hot mess of a make out session between these 2 old friends. Seriously…it’s so gratuitous!

• After watching last week episode, I decided no more HTGAWM for me. I’m gay and not homophoic but this seems to come so out of nowhere. I love shows that throw unexpected twists but this show has too many. How many more people can they kill off?

11. Ellinas1978 says:

So you can hack the police, get the evidence that way and present them in court? No questions on how it was found. I know this show is nowhere near accurate with stuff, but come on. Let’s not take it that far.

12. Leo says:

Careful, Asher. Your jealousy is starting to show. #crazyshipper
    And am I the only who really really love the dynamic between Connor and Michaela? They’re like totes bff now.

• Angela says:

No, you are definitely not :D. I love their scenes together.

• Izzie Duquette says:

I’m a huge fan of them as well and glad to see they seem to be better friends now than last season.

13. Keith says:

Did I notice that the prosecutors eyes were gouged out?

14. robandco says:

I think they are doing a pretty good job with the character development of the students. The murder really changed them, and for the better.
    This season’s mystery looks so good but the case around it is so weak… I am really not involved in the two siblings. We know nothing about them. Eggs911 will be the next one to bite the dust. He can even be season 3’s mystery.

15. chuckiechk says:

LOVED last night epsidoe the HLA between Eve and Annalise, the friendship between Connor, Oliver, and Michaela, to that HOLY SH*T ending …. LOVE IT

16. Angela says:

Okay, now I REALLY want the show to take an entire episode and have all the characters break into songs from ‘Chicago’ :D. So thanks for that. I love your theory.
    Cellphone guy is going to be really bad news, isn’t he? Yeah. I could maybe buy Michaela still being a little naïve yet-sure, she’s involved in a murder coverup, but we all saw how off her judgment was that night, with the ring and running around panicking instead of remaining calm. But Connor? He definitely should have his antenna up more. So it’ll be very interesting to see how those two handle this guy going forward.
    And I too am wary of the risk posed to the case by Annalise and Eve getting all cozy again (and as friendly as they were the next morning, somehow I get the feeling Annalise still isn’t quite over everything that happened in the courtroom. And rightly so, frankly-I was thisclose to wanting to jump through the screen and slap that St. Clair woman myself!).
    Asher’s interaction with Oliver had me wanting to smack my head, but I liked him getting all snarky with prosecutor lady…at least until she smacked him down at the end. Oh, that’ll be fun.
    And yes, Bonnie and Annalise definitely have some stuff to sort out. I’m all for a girls’ weekend with them, too, just for the twisted hell of it. But yeah, I don’t know how much longer Annalise is going to cover for Bonnie. Especially now that Eve’s getting all mixed into this. I’m thinking some sort of weird, ugly triangle (not necessarily a love one, either) is going to form with those three women.
    And finally, I’m really curious about those siblings now, and the case with them! Their situation just gets creepier and creepier. Hmmm.

• Angela says:

*Should be “Sinclair”, not “St. Clair”.

• Jax&Juice's Girl says:

Don’t care about the siblings but there is something off about ’em. That dude w/ Michelea I think he’s Eggs911……she better watch herself! Frank/Laurel that sh*t had me dying laughing like bitch you’re DINIED ain’t some tonight…LOL!!!!!!!

17. Marci says:

Viola was on Jimmy Kimmel a couple of nights ago and hinted about last night’s episode. She said that she’s uncomfortable doing sex scenes, but is even more uncomfortable about having her mom watching them. She sends her money on Thursdays so she can go to the casino so she doesn’t have to worry about her mom watching the show. She said that she especially didn’t want her mom watching last night’s episode. I can see why now–that was a pretty hot scene between Annalise and Eve.
    I groaned when Bitch Prosecutor told Asher she would be the prosecutor for the Hapstall trial, then almost got up off my couch and cheered when I saw that final shot. I’m not usually so bloodthirsty, but I really wasn’t looking forward having to put up with her again. The actress who played her deserves an Emmy for creating one of the most annoying characters in the history of television.

18. anonomousaurus says:

I feel like Asher is going to be the groups’ scapegoat when it all blows up.

19. J says:

Well of course Eggs911 is the cute guy from the courthouse/Rebecca’s photo. Why else would he try to “borrow” Michaela and Connor’s phones? To find out which one he’s texting with.

20. Denise says:

I missed the part of where Wes finds a picture of Michaela’s date. But reading it now, I bet that it may be her brother or relative coming for revenge or information on Rebecca’s disappearance.

I was also taken aback when Annalise and Eve grabbed each other and started necking!! Wow, didn’t see that coming.

That is what I like about this show, you never see it coming and the shock is sensational, exciting, hand clapping and can’t wait until next week. I like this show so much, I watch it twice!