Fall TV Preview
Vampire Diaries Season 7

Vampire Diaries' Ian Somerhalder Maps Out Damon's 'Crazy' Post-Elena Future

Though Damon isn’t completely reverting back to his Season 1 ways, Ian Somerhalder assures TVLine that his character will be taking Elena’s final words to heart when The Vampire Diaries returns for Season 7 (Oct. 8, The CW).

“Elena said, ‘Go have fun and live your life,'” Somerhalder reminds us. “He waited for Katherine for 150 years and he sure as hell wasn’t a saint in that time. Damon’s a pretty sadistic guy, but he’s also very logical — even if his logic is a little skewed sometimes. He’s thinking that he’s got 60 years to chill … so if he makes enemies and gets into fights and s–t’s going down with these heretics, he’s like, ‘Yeah, let’s get in there. Let’s f–k it up!'”

Of course, it won’t be long before the gravity of the heretics’ presence forces a necessary shift in Damon’s reckless outlook.

“He comes near death a couple of times and has to start protecting people,” Somerhalder teases. “So it really becomes about him protecting this box and fighting with his mom; he’s really not happy with his madre at all.”

Somerhalder says he’s also excited to refocus on the true relationship of the series: a little twosome affectionately referred to as “Defan.”

“If you look at the way the story’s been told, it always comes back to the love of these two brothers,” he explains. “The women that they love got in the way, but now they’re just brothers, and they’re forced to deal with a lot of stuff. One of their new problems is that they lost their home, and Damon’s pretty pissed at Stefan for letting that happen.”

Most importantly, Somerhalder hopes that fans will embrace the changes that come with a long-running series and remember why they loved The Vampire Diaries in the first place:

“This is Mystic Falls without Elena Gilbert,” he admits. “People want this Damon-Elena thing, but I say this is the evolution of a really cool show with some great characters. Let’s let them find their own journeys and mix together and let s–t get crazy again.”

TVD fans, what are your hopes for Damon’s life without Elena? Drop ’em in a comment below.

1. Ilona says:

I am so looking forward to this Season especially Damon , and more scenes between the brothers.

• wrstlgirl says:

Me too! I’m excited for the show post Elena.

• Jess says:

I was excited for the show post Elena too until all these interviews have exposed the tone/theme of season 7. Damon pining, whining, drinking and being a d***. He wasn’t kidding about going back to s1. This is Damon s1 with Katherine…same face different name. I was hoping we could get beyond dullena and really get Damon some character growth but even with Nina gone we can’t move on. Why? Why does he have to be chained to this coffin for however many seasons TVD has left? Didn’t they give dullena fans a good ending last season? Like wth? If this is how it’s going to go the show should’ve ended last season. Really the last season for TVD was 4. Even if I didn’t agree with everything that happened at least the history of the show was untouched.

• wrstlgirl says:

If that goes on for to long I’ll be gone again. The only reason I’m coming back is because Elena is gone so we’ll see.

• Mackenzie says:

“..it always comes back to the love of these two brothers.” Um Ian they only started showing Damon’s love after he got the doppleganger girl from Stefan. When Stefan died at the end of S5. So the love between brothers sounds a little hollow for some of us.

2. Liss says:

100000% on board with what Ian’s saying here, esp that last quote. I’m excited for S7 and I hope the writers are brave enough to really shake things up.

• Tori says:

That’s the key word ‘brave’. I’m not sure THESE writers know the meaning of the word.

• Addy says:

I don’t think there will be any shaking up. You’ve hit the head on the nail with hoping the writers are brave. They’re not. Ian keeps telling us this in his recent interviews. He’s the biggest Bamon fan there is and was cheering Bamon pretty hard during his interviews over the summer but I think something happened behind the scenes and now he’s letting us know (like Paul did with Stelena fans last year) that we’re not going to see Damon move on especially with Bonnie. That’s why he’s saying don’t ship just enjoy the story blah, blah, blah. So either the network or Plec/Dries nixed Damon’s independence and now he’s trying to let us know. That’s why he keeps saying ppl want this Damon-Elena thing. He’s had how many scripts/episodes for s7 so he has a pretty good idea of where the plot is going and he knows Damon is still handcuffed to her box is basically what he’s saying. I will never understand why Plec and Dries have their talons so far in DE they can’t get out. Very, very sad how this show has been run.

3. Anonymous says:

I admit I’m half waiting for the show to (gracefully) conclude just to see if I cash in on my bet that Mr Somerhalder eventually gets cast on American Horror Story. Dude seriously fits the type (ever notice how many of those guys look alike?)

4. Phawnta Avery says:

I think it will be a cool change to see Bonnie and Damon become a little more closer, since in season 6 they had to bond in that crazy prison world. Or anything that can shake things up, since Elana is gone.

5. I’m really looking forward to getting back the central theme and single most important relationship on TVD–Damon and Stefan’s. I love that they seem to be coming around full circle and focusing on them being brothers, and their love for one another. Not having that be clouded by relationship insecurities and Petrova-flavored drama and angst will be a much-needed breath of fresh air. Hopefully, we’ll get to see each brother mix in a little smoking-hot romance while they’re hashing out their drama, and battling the new big bad. #Bamon

6. Sue says:

When is back on in the UK itv2

7. zed says:

Bamon is so my interest post Elena. Bamon is a true relationship Damon had in every respect and not his obsession with Elena.
    He needs to do a lot to improve his relationship with Stefan- all he has done was cause misery to Stefan, who shall we not forget saved his life by giving himself over to Klaus… just one of many things- Defan need to work out.
    And just give us Bamon love and let Damon see that Bonnie actually is his true love! Damon should not be defined by Elena, and yet he somehow is

• zed says:

I meant Defan needs so to work out so many issues-
      Oh, and the whole thing about how Damon waited for Katherine and now he is waiting for Elena – is not romantic but repetition, nothing unique, but same old, same old

• Riley says:

Everyone is spilling so much truth tea right now. I agree with you Defan has so much to work out before I can believe the love between brothers that Julie is shoveling. Damon needs to apologize for the whole Elena thing, it needs to be addressed if they want to sell the Defan relationship IMO. They also need to address Damon’s obsession with the Petrova’s and his abandonment issues. He needs to grow the heck up, live his own life and quit being obsessed over Katherine. Yes, I mean Katherine because Elena is the Katherine he could have. It’s not a coincidence that he is now waiting on Elena like he was on Katherine and that needs to be addressed. As someone else said above- character development! Can we find out who Damon was and is without a Petrova?! Can we see him be the one to move on and realize he has outgrown that toxic relationship?…and yes let it be with Bonnie. I don’t have enough space or time to write why I think she’s the better match for him.

8. may says:

lmao sure ian you just said elena will contantly be remembered! so much for no ships, except steroline is being forced on us etc. The idea of defan is great but those writers dont have the capability to write spn 2.0

9. raz says:

i really want damon and alaric’s relationship to be focused on more. even though i know it’ll never happen b/c this show is way too heterosexual to ever take a jump like that

10. Hayley cooper says:

I hope Damon has a full life without Elena and even when he doesn’t have the love of his life in his arms he still thinks about the good times they had together and that pushes him to hold onto that for another 60 years without her.

• Anna says:

Elena should’ve been killed off or sent away then we wouldn’t have this box hanging over the whole show and Damon could’ve had a full life. These writers didn’t have the balls to do that so now he’s shackled to the box and that’s the wonderful season7. It’s a shadow over the whole show. Just end tvd!

11. ???? says:

I can’t wait for this show to get cancelled so Damon and Elena can have their reunion this May thank fck

12. Yeika says:

I have to admit that I wasnt going to watch it, but I have watched the promos and it looks awesome, I will be missing Elena, the relationship bt Damon and Elena but I am excited that they will be focusing on Damon and Stefan’s relationship, so def I will be watching the first couples of ep to see how it goes.

13. Rinti says:

Im soooooooo ready for this season! Let everyone have their moment

14. Lizzy says:

I hope Damon waits for Elena and this season is the last for the show. He has time now to figure himself out and that could be a good thing for when Elena wakes up. As long as the writers stay true to Delena I will be watching and waiting for their epic love reunion. And pleeease let Damon stay away from Bonnie. Their “friendship” was already forced. Keep away romantically. It will ruin the idea of true love and will send the message that its okay for a friend to try and take another friend’s guy. I hope Bonnie turns lesbian so this whole Bamon crap will go away.

• Aimee says:

LMAO! Are you for real? How do you think de got together in the first place? I guess you think stealing from your sibling is ok but friends that’s out of the question? This is the most ridiculous comment I’ve seen. The only forced relationship on this show has been dullena. They literally had to rewrite the history of this show to prop de. If you like the couple fine but please come up with something more original than friend code because the bro code will shoot that down every time. If you’re wanting to get moral messages from this show you are watching the wrong show.

• Lizzy says:

The show was always ment to be a love triangle. This Delena wasgoing to happen feom the start and was planned. Elena got together with Damon AFTER she and Stefan broke up. Delena NEVER broke up in the finale. Damon practically proposed, saying he wants to be Elena’s husband and father of her children. Of course he will wait for her. They did NOT break up. Go live your life does not mean go screw other people. So it is NOT okay for Bonnie to mess with a taken man. Period.

• Michelle says:

Damon was going after HIS BROTHER’s gf from the start and SE weren’t broken up then. I think that was what that other poster was pointing out is if you were looking for morality this show isn’t for you because tvd was built on immorality. TVD is anything but consistent and go live your life can mean whatever the heck the writers want it to mean however it suits them. They’ve proven what they’ve written means nothing ever. If you’ve been watching tvd then you know that something that we think shouldn’t be ok doesn’t mean squat on this show. Julie has called this a soap opera so no one should be surprised if and when Bamon get together. It’s funny I never heard ders cry morality when it was Damon taking Elena away from Stefan but now Bamon might happen it’s a different story. LOL Oh, the hypocrisy.

• Lizzy says:

I know that Damon has done terrible things in the course of the show but it was in character. For Bonnie to turn into a skank will be out of character since she has only ever been a loyal friend. But BDrs do not care about her character, or any logical fact as long as she gets to hook up with the male lead. I don’t watch the show for morality. I watch it for its excellent representation of true love which os DE. And I am not conserned about BD happening anymore after the recent interviews. Its clear that DE will be kept intact and BD has been rejected over and over by the writers. DE has won 5 physical awards. Its what the majority viewers want and Nina will be back to reunite Damon and Elena. This has been confirmed by both Nina and the writers. So you guys want Damon to ise Bonnie as a fling untill then? You guys reaaaaly don’t care for her at all.

• Michelles says:

For some reason I can’t reply back to you Lizzy but I can see what I’m dealing with. As soon as you said 5 physical awards I knew. LMAO

• Lizzy says:

What do you mean you know what you are dealing with? And you may mock the physical award saying, but that won’t change the fact that it is true.

15. Kristen says:

Did I miss something in the season finale? When/how did the Salvatore brothers lose their house? I honestly can’t remember….please refresh my memory. Thanks!

16. Joanne Frawley says:

Elaina belonged with Stefan. The show went downhill when she switched to Damon. Glad she’s onge.

17. McSongz Masiya says:

am loving season 7
    can’t for it

18. None of Your Business says:

Ian Somerhalder needs to stop being bitter. He had no problem talking about Delena in a positive way before now all of a sudden since he started dating his current wife and the ending of his friendship with Nina he’s become so negative. What the media, Ian , and Bamon fans fail to realize is that Elena will always be apart of Damon’s story whether she is present or not. She played an integral part in his character development she can’t be erased. Damon will never stop loving Elena and despite his friendship with Bonnie he is counting down the days until she dies so he can have the love of his life back. Elena is not the blame for the show’s less than interesting plot lines. The writers could have wrote better stories around DE’s love story but instead they chose to make it all about ships. TVD will suck without Elena and I for one will not tune in for the BD fanbaiting etc. As far as I’m concerned there is noTVD without Elena!

19. cr says:

Thought you’d like this “from a vampire’s view” video – good stuff!

20. Malachi says:

So he the villain again. Wow. This is getting worsen each season. He crying over Elena, a girl that never his to begin with and she in a box he goes kill everyone? This is not the Damon diaries. Kill him off already

21. Malachi says:

This is BS. Damon is the villain. The Vampire diaries treat there Characters like crap but him. Almost everything that happened cause of him and NO one realize that. Have him stop crying over a girl that wasn’t his in the first place and move on!

22. Jaz says:

I think its an interesting take i love how they didnt just forget about elena and her essence will still be in the show somehow. Its great how little by little they are reverting back to damon and stephan and allowing other characters to have a part. I hope for at least one season they can bring elena but towards the end it would be so unexpected!!!

23. Annoymous says: says:

cant wait for elena to come back,,,,vampire diaries is way cooler with elena around

24. Max75th says:

Will not buy the last 2 season disks unless it ends with damon and elana together. Be nice to see a happy ending for a change. So go ahead writers ruin the show or make it something worth owning.

25. Marcia says:

The vapire diaries DOSNT NEED Elaine😠😤. Let her go the show is more interesting without her. Dont get me wrong, i really liked elaina but things are actually switching up! And I LOVE how they give a glimpse in 3 years!!! This show is awesome and they do a great job making it👍👍👍👍

26. sanika says:

Even tho it was all along about stefan and damon still in the previous few seasons more attention was on elena and her family…elena became the most important part of the show..when i got news of elena leaving vampire dairies. .i stopped watching TWD..i really like this show..but without elena it honestly feels incomplete. .i really wish elena comes back atleast in the last season..it would be the best season finale if she comes back ^_^.

• HXMXO says:

I’m pretty sure Nina comes back but at the end as Kat is ment to leave so I think they might end the whole show with Elena’s return tying up loose ends with Damon. Just a theory X

27. HeythereitsH says: