Fall TV Preview
Once Upon a Time Anders

Once Upon a Time: David Anders Set to Reprise Role as Dr. Whale

“The doctor will be in.”

During a Tuesday Twitter Q&A, iZombie star David Anders responded with those five words when a fan asked about him possibly returning to ABC’s Once Upon a Time.

TVLine has since confirmed that Anders will in fact reprise his role as Dr. Whale (aka Victor Frankenstein) in an upcoming episode of Season 5, which premiered this past Sunday.

News of Anders’ encore comes on the heels of TVLine reporting that Meghan Ory will be back for multiple episodes as Red/Ruby and Once announcing that Jamie Chung will be back for an arc as Mulan.

Anders made his Once debut in the series’ third episode when Dr. Whale tended to David, as the amnesic Prince Charming emerged from his coma. He last appeared toward the close of Season 3, to deliver Snow White’s baby.

The Alias alum currently is a series regular on The CW’s iZombie, where he plays the formerly undead Blaine.

Want more scoop on Once, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. iHeart says:

hmmm my guess is that we’ll be seeing forgotten characters show up in the 100th episode which is slated to air sometime in march

2. Mark says:

His back story eppy was awful.

• Ray says:

Agreed. Penny Dreadful does Dr. Victor Frankenstein so much better!

• hopemullinax says:

Sorry, but I completely disagree! Victor’s story was heartbreaking. His father gave him a death sentence for Christmas. Seriously, Frankenstein was set before the First Geneva convention where it was okay to kill field medics. Roughly 3 out of 4 of them didn’t come back alive. His father told him to go be a field medic, because Victor wasn’t the favorite son. The worst thing was, Victor was going to accept for his father’s love. That is far more heartbreaking than Snow’s sad face over purposely lying to Emma last season.

I’ve wanted the Land Without Color back since season two. There’s an entire horror land to explore! Is Dr. Faust there with Mephistopheles? I bet the demon would be BFF’s with Rumpel! Are there vampires like Nosferatu? Is Dorian Grey in that land? I need to know these things!

And how did Victor get caught up in the first curse anyway? He wasn’t in the Enchanted Forest to our knowledge! Why isn’t he in Henry’s book? Did Victor and Jefferson have more adventures? Victor is my favorite character after Jefferson. He’s far more interesting than most of the main characters. Actually, the supporting cast have the best story lines and the most unanswered questions. But we get more Charming-Regina-Rumpel fill in stuff that’s not doing anything for the story! Are we going to see Snow’s first period with step mom Regina? I’m so bored with all of that. Stories like Victor’s are fresh and new. Let’s see what him, Ruby, Archie, Granny, Blue Fairy, etc. are doing for once.

3. Amanda says:

So happy about this!!! I liked Victor and loved the beginning of his friendship with Ruby. I remember the writers did say before Meghan got casted in “Intelligence” they were going to pair their characters together, and recently they said we’ll find out why Ruby and others haven’t been seen lately, so I’m just excited for possible Frankenwolf again.

4. Abosuba says:

Now they should also bring his co-star Rose McIver so we can have Tinker Bell back! :)

5. Jennifer says:

Cool. There was potential for an interesting story between him and Ruby and it’s a shame that it was dropped. Hopefully we can revisit that.

6. Lysh says:

Yesss! I love him more since binging Alias. Also, hope for Frankenwolf!

7. ChellemaBelle says:

I just hope they keep the tension with Charming… and give him some action scenes. While Frankenstein may not have been the swashbuckler, I’d love to see Anders revisiting some of his Alias moves.

8. Jaime says:

Is he bringing Tinkerbell with him?

9. i love to see a episode of , swan princess story in the once upon a time tv series some time

10. Eli says:

BRING BACK CINDERELLA! OR AT LEAST ASHLEY!

11. Destiny says:

It’s about time we start seeing characters like Dr. Whale, Ruby and Mulan. I mean there are other characters in Story Brook besides the same characters they keep shoving down our throats. I mean look at what they did with Cinderella they just shoved her away, same thing with Aurora and Philip. Heck they brought on Will Scarlett and totally wasted his character. They quickly got rid of Jefferson and yes I know the actor is busy making movies but that character was really good. I like this show I just hate that these other characters like even Archie have been shoved to the back burner.

12. Dominique says:

yess!! i’m very glad to see him again.
    dare i even hope for some frankenwolf scenes? they had such potential.

13. Frakenwolf…it needs to happen >_>

14. hopemullinax says:

I’m so happy! He’s my second favorite character after Jefferson! I could cry!
    THOUGH, if he’s only coming back to deliver Zelena’s baby and NOT have a story line, I’m going to pitch a fit.

15. John NYC says:

Just don’t let him set up the craft services table!