Ratings: Fox's Grandfathered and The Grinder Have OK Debuts

John Stamos and Rob Lowe were looking just OK on Tuesday night.

Fox’s Grandfathered debuted to 5.3 million total viewers and a 1.5 demo rating, while The Grinder drew 4.9 mil and a 1.5, both improving greatly on — faint praise alert! — what Utopia did in the time slot one year ago (2 mil/0.8).

The freshman laffers also improved on Fox’s most recent Tuesday comedy performances — the season finales for New Girl (2.2 mil/1.1) and Mindy Project (2.1 mil/0.9), which aired during the 9 o’clock hour.

TVLine readers gave both Grandfathered and The Grinder an average grade of “B+.”

Leading out of that sitcombo, Scream Queens did 3.6 mil/1.4, down 10 and 18 percent from its two-hour premiere.

Elsewhere….

ABC | The Muppets (5.8 mil/2.0) dropped 30 percent from its impressive debut, while Fresh Off the Boat (4.8 mil/1.7) slipped 21 percent and two tenths. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. returned to 4.8 mil and a 1.7, down from its Season 2 opener (6 mil/2.1) but up sharply from its May finale (4 mil/1.3) and hitting its best numbers since Dec. 9. A Quantico encore added 4.2 mil/1.0.

CBS | NCIS (16 mil/2.1) slipped 12 and 16 percent from its season opener, while NCIS: New Orleans (12.6 mil/1.7) and Limitless (9.6 mil/1.9) were rock steady.

NBC | The Voice (13.3 mil/3.6) ticked up week-to-week, while Best Time Ever (6.3 mil/2.0) dipped a tenth in the demo.

1. Mike B. says:

looks like a crappy season for fox… but it gives me hope for a gotham renewal. I’m really digging the second season so far

• Erika says:

And NBC will,possibly have another crappy season,especially comedy/sitcom shows.
      NBC and FOX are crappy networks.

• Mike B. says:

so far nbc is doing “much” better imho. even heroes managed a 1.9 on thursdays. fox hast nothing besides empire, if I’m not mistaken

• Erika says:

Do you think Fox – NBC 2.0?

• Mike B. says:

I have no idea… for me fox has the better shows right now, or at least I like more shows on Fox :D (last man on earth, b99, new girl and gotham vs… well, heroes reborn, but they only had the premiere and Tim Kring has still 11 episodes to disappoint me). But like every other network, both need fresh ideas imo. FOX is recycling Movies and trying to get a piece of the superhero cake, even though almost none of those are hits (arrow and flash get good numbers for the cw standards but other than that… agents of shield isn’t doing that swell too), NBC meanwhile tries its best to get at least one show off the ground after the voice… fox can’t do that with empire, because of local programming after 10 pm… And it’s not impossible to produce hit shows these days, walking dead and game of thrones are great examples, and even fear the walking dead gets great 18-19 numbers (in comparison to most network shows)… but with the restrictions of network television (nudity et al) comes its downfall. there’ll be an empire from time to time, but for one empire there’ll be 10 minority reports. I’m not an expert, it’s just really interesting for me to watch the situation right now :D

• Mike B. says:

but fox at least didn’t make the mistake of moving empire, like nbc did with the blacklist.. so that’s a small win for them :D

• Mr. Tran K says:

NBC was in the basement since the 2004-05 TV season and I think that Fox is now in the same old problem NBC had.

2. Ray says:

Oh no. I hope The Muppets are not in danger. Admittedly I liked the second episode less than the first, but I think this new incarnation shows real comedic promise.

3. Christian says:

Limitless is blander than toast. Of course it’s holding up. Americans are so predictable.

4. Dan says:

This isn’t good for Scream Queens. I don’t care about social media buzz or branding or live+3 numbers. Ads are sold based on these numbers and the way they are looking now, it’s not good.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Gotta be one of the biggest disparities between “Twitteriest tweeting tweeters!” (or whatever “social” superlatives other sites waste their ink/your time on) and actual viewership I have ever seen.

• Boiler says:

Maybe it is just the same people non stop tweeting. Don’t get why this is looked at

• LilAngel says:

Scream Queens ratings do not reflect the whole fanbase: a lot of ‘international’ fans are watching the show, of course that doesn’t count for the US ratings but we are still watching and talking about the show. It is the only new show (it is not even on TV in my country) that we are talking about right now. The networks should make all US shows available on iTunes worldwide at the same time they do in the US (they will make a lot of money with that)

• Melissa says:

You’re surprised? It’s a terrible show.

• rinaex says:

So far I’ve enjoyed it, but the half-hour drop this week doesn’t bode well.

5. Sg. Grant says:

I actually like Limitless. It’s not as good as the book, but that’s expected.

6. Anonymous says:

Man ,all the ratings of these shows hit lows these days.I guess young people no longer watching live TV and watch these shows on internet these days.1.5 is a new 3.0.RIP broadcast shows.(Including FOTB,SQ.)

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Which shows hit a low last night…?

• Anonymous says:

Good question.I think most of the shows hit a lows,but not a record lows for some if I remember(still,not yet)

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Hmm, no, I’m pretty darn good about denoting season/series lows. Unless you’re being silly and counting Week 2 of Muppets and Scream Queens as “lows.”

P.S. Just one (1) user name per IP address, thank you!

• Nero tTVFiddler says:

Nice catch Matt on the IP address – will try to do similar on our side with just one user/address. We have a PC in our office in the coffee-room lounge (the term lounge used very loosely!) that we all use to check out TVLine, etc. during breaks to get info/ntel on television season and have some quick fun between calls and angry customers and their tweets, etc. back at our desks.

We’ll keep in mind that indeed, only one IP will show up, so we’ll try to funnel the comments to only one of us per thread.

Muppets has surprised me – I didn’t think it would get as many viewers as they have – good for them. They are a limited run series (I think?)

Regarding Scream Queens, I’m watching the DVR numbers that come along post the ‘over-night’ numbers. If those DVR number don’t show much ‘bump’, then indeed, the Twitter lather taking place won’t make up for the fact that the actual DVR C3 numbers don’t match all the social media energy generated online.

7. Mr. Tran K says:

Did watched Grandfathered and Grinder last night but it’s going to be hard for both sitcoms to go up and down like a roller coaster in numbers on a Tuesday night not to mention going up against NCIS, The Flash and the ABC comedy block of Muppets and FOTB.

8. dancmh says:

I’m going to watch Grandfathered at some point this week but I kind of think the time slot is going to kill it.

9. Lynne says:

I really enjoyed Grandfathered. Grinder on other hand, I can take it or leave it. Either way, Flash starts next week and that’s my priority. DVRing Grandfathered though.

• c-mo says:

I too really enjoyed Grandfathered and but kept getting distracted during Grinder so I almost turned it off. I had recorded it so I watched from my DVR and it was hilarious! I’m happy I gave the premiere another shot; may I suggest you give it another go as well?

• grass says:

I was pleasantly surprised after hearing negative reviews about Grandfathered. The first five minutes or so felt a little forced, like they were trying to shove the whole concept together quickly so that they could get more of that episode’s story in. I was a little disappointed with The Grinder, hopefully Fred Savage’s character gets less whiny as the show goes on.

• c-mo says:

I thought his character got better by the end of the show when he didn’t cave to the judge. I’m hoping that his character will continue to grow and not be so lily-livered.

10. tvjunkie says:

With virtually everything going down from season to season for years now its a pleasant surprise to see Shield up a fair amount from its season finale.

11. B says:

I enjoyed Muppets, Grandfathered, and Grinder. Hope they all survive.

12. smartysenior says:

Limitless is the best new show. Witty, great cast, odd ball plots, a guy and gal working together, and one adventure each episode with the underlying premise of the drug. I predict it will attract all of Castle’s lost customers now that they have gone serialized and seriously dark.

• John NYC says:

? those shows are on entirely different nights.

• c-mo says:

Apparently the senior isn’t so smarty! 😏

• John NYC says:

Otoh were their television time rationed by either The Home or a parent (H. S. “senior”?) then there’s some logic to it, with no longer desiring to watch Castle those 43 minutes can be invested elsewhere.

Versus same time broadcasts where a live viewing choice is forced on anyone, rationed tv time or no.

13. prish says:

The Grinder, actually, has a logical premise, which surprised me. When I was in Intro to Drama class, we found out that Drama was one of the degrees that law schools liked. In this show, one brother is expert with law and settlements. There is a big hole with pitching cases, and the Rob Lowe character steps in to fill it, with the lawyer father relieved to have that balance, again. This show could be solid fun. The acting is good.

14. Tina says:

Shouldn’t have cancelled Mindy. What that show lacked in ratings it made up for in quality. From what she implies in her book the new fox execs didn’t like her at all. This is a travesty in my opinion and any failure of ratings rests on their shoulders. These two shows will drop even further next week in he ratings so I’d put money on it they don’t last the season.

• Nicole says:

I agree, but sadly it is common the shows with high numbers don’t always deliver the best quality television. When shows like the bachelor and dancing with the stars bring in much higher numbers then some very well written scripted comedy and drama shows it is just sad….

• rinaex says:

The show was dying on Fox. Just be glad there’s still a format for it that doesn’t rely on 18-49 ratings.

• brandydanforth81 says:

Fox didn’t own Mndy & wouldn’t have made syndication money on it and it’s ratings were at or below a 1.0-that’s terrible

15. Guy says:

The Grinder is the only new Fox show that I think was any good. All of their other debuts have been terrible.

16. John says:

I really enjoyed last night’s NCIS episode. Especially the end, really looking forward to seeing this season progress.

17. KC says:

ANYTHING is better than Mindy and New Girl.
    Both Grandfathered and The Grinder are pretty good – we’ll see what happens next week.
    Scream Queens in a goner!!

18. Nicole says:

Fresh off the boat was hilarious last night, I could not stop laughing. The Mom on the show makes it awesome! Wish more people were tuning in!

19. kmw says:

Those aren’t great numbers for FOX like his faint praise suggests, better numbers than they got last year. Almost everyone down last night. At least Agents of Shield improved upon last finales numbers

20. valerie tower says:

I really like limitless. Great show

21. Pickle8182 says:

If everything was down, what were people watching? I thought (watched it OnDemand) The Grinder was cute and has potential.

22. Ellinaras78 says:

How did those comedies compare with the series premieres of those other comedies?

23. JBC says:

Watch Grandfathered and enjoyed it more than I thought I would. The characters are fun, not silly. Haven’t seen The Grinder yet but that is next. I am an NCIS fan so wonder if the time slot for these two new shows will be a problem. BTW nice to see Paget Brewster again.

24. Rachel Mitchell says:

I think grandfathered and the ginder will last if you put more heart felt moments, mystery, jealousy, sad moments, and Christmas specials never hurt anyone. Also put some more court room scenes in of them kicking but now thats one way to get ratings up it deals more with real life. Don’t forget the comedy.