The Muppets: Kermit's 'Free Pass' List and More Naughty Bits From Episode 2

ABC’s The Muppets returned for Round 2 on Tuesday, and while Kermit’s sexy side of bacon Denise was M.I.A., something tells us the Parents Television Council will still find plenty of complain about.

But first, a quick recap: In a desperate attempt to make Miss Piggy slightly more manageable, Kermit set her up with “velvet-throated piano god” Josh Groban, but the plan backfired when he started filling Piggy’s head with all sorts of awful new show ideas. Knowing that Piggy’s true Achilles heel is her extra-large ego, the frog eventually ousted her new man by adding his name (“Josh Groban presents…”) to the title of Piggy’s late night show. See ya, Groban!

Meanwhile, Fozzie spent the half-hour wrestling with his internal guilt after stealing a candy dish from Jay Leno’s house during a party. He almost got away with it, too, until Leno caught him stealing again during a subsequent visit to his house. (Who knew Fozzie was such a little klepto?)

OK, now for what you all came here for: the night’s five naughtiest moments!

Season 1, Episode 2* During Miss Piggy’s initial meltdown about being given fine-tipped Sharpies instead of a standard-sized one, Kermit remarked, “I have a feeling this isn’t about pen thickness.”

* Though it might not qualify as “racy,” Pepe’s comment about Groban giving him the feels (“He’s a handsome man and gender is fluid”) will likely elicit a few “Huh?”s from the kiddos tuning in.

* “For some reason, it’s just so hard to get out of bed these days,” Piggy mused after spending a night with Groban. The Swedish Chef then muttered something about Piggy “groping the Groban,” a statement she deemed “naughty,” but also “accurate.”

* Now for a little drug humor: “Those guys are always happy,” Bobo said about Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem, to which Scooter replied, “Legally now!”

* And then there was Kermit’s “free pass” list, a collection of celebrities he and Piggy were allowed to dot-dot-dot even while they were dating. Lea Thompson was apparently at the top of Kermit’s list, and he nearly got the chance to fulfill his dream, until Gonzo came along and frog-blocked him.

Your thoughts on The Muppets‘ second episode? Drop ’em in a comment below.

1. Neemo says:

This episode…LOL! I died lauging…way better than premiere. Im s ticking with it

2. kchuplis says:

MUCH better
    This week. Laughed and chuckled a lot.

3. AngelWasHere says:

I didn’t laugh at all. Is my funny bone broken? I thought it got worse. I barely chuckled. :/

• Matt Smith says:

Well it’s nothing new comedic or storywise but some it was pretty funny, even if it’s been done before. I love The Muppets and it’s fun seeing them in this new show. I actually found Lawrence Fishburne’s cameo funny – especially when he popped back up moments later for another joke.

4. Mike R says:

I think the episode still take a bit too long to set up the episode before getting to the laughs, but once they got to the goods it got really funny. The whole Fozzie and Leno stuff was hilarious, and Bobo and the cookies was amusing. I’m loving the muppets and I hope last weeks iffy response doesn’t hurt the show

5. Mr. Tran K says:

In a million years I’ll be in tears if I ever listen to a Josh Groban song but The Muppets is by far the best new comedy of the season. Hope it won’t be a disappointment for ABC.

6. mklopez says:

Even with all the (really funny) double-meaning jokes, the one moment i actually did a LOL was the Lawrence Fishburne bit. Sometimes, a good old-style funny bit is all you need.

7. A. D. says:

Hilarious!

8. E says:

Thought it was funnier than the premiere. I laughed a lot. The muppets can still make me laugh after all these years is really saying something. I’m really enjoying the show

9. Bradster says:

“Someone’s cookin the bacon…”
    Kermit’s face.
    #Dead.

10. Kelly says:

Jim Henson must be turning over in his grave….
    Disney should be ashamed for what they have done to these beloved Characters!

11. Kelly says:

Jim Henson must be turning over in his grave.
    Disney should be ashamed for what they have done to America’s beloved characters!

12. Wendy says:

Honestly, I think Jim Henson would be thrilled with this incarnation of The Muppets. Why? Because in 1975, SNL originally had a skit with more adult-themed Muppets and reports had claimed that Henson wanted people to know that Muppets weren’t just for kids. (Granted, the Muppets on SNL were quite strange; I saw the SNL debut last October when NBC was celebrating its anniversary by showing the first episode. It didn’t surprise me that they were phased out. To be clear, I was only 3 when this originally aired.) So I think Henson would be glad his overall vision was realized in a roundabout fashion.

• Elf says:

Not only that, but the original title Henson wanted to give to the original Muppet show was “Muppets: Sex and Violence.” So if anything, I bet Henson’s ghost is wondering what too so long to get the Muppets to where they are now.

And did anyone pick up the joke with Zoot drawing in the greeting card, being told it was inappropriate, then saying he could turn it into a saxophone?

13. Joey says:

I laughed the whole time and when The Swedish Chef made his “someone cooking de piggy” comment, I almost fell out of my chair. Amazing show, very funny, and very true to The Muppets as characters. I don’t really understand what all the fuss is about, it really is the funniest new show to come out this season so far.

14. neb1997 says:

Not a fan of the Muppets, didn’t watch them before and never heard of Sesame Street when I was young. Guess they weren’t around in the 50’s and 60’s. I did enjoy the Muppets 3D show at WDW though. Not liking this new show much.

15. True Muppet Fan says:

I don’t know what all the fuss is about. The “kiddos” now know much more than we did at that age. They hear it everywhere, school, TV, video games, etc. If this show was a little “racy”, it was still ALOT more acceptable than some of the junk you see day to day. Kudos to the writing staff for keeping it current, without going over the edge, suggestive sentences are more creative than showing everything. Still very cute.

16. Kermit says:

I also enjoyed episode 2 much more than the pilot. I think it was because it featured more of the ensemble.

17. robandco says:

Ok this episode was way better than the pilot. There were extremely funny parts that had me laughing out loud for real (thing that almost never happen with sitcoms nowadays). Laurence Fishburne was hilarious, really. And I am a sucker for the double entendres. I love how they bring guest stars for one scene, and that the guests are making fun of themselves.

18. RUCookie says:

This show is a keeper! I love it so much!

19. Gerri says:

Cookin the Bacon was the funniest line.
    Funniest moment when Kermit reveals “Josh Grobin presents Late Show with Miss Piggy” and Kermit immediately waves good bye to Josh, cause he knows Piggy so well. He is a little Green Genius.

20. Loved it. I love the bear and the new receptionist

21. So far, the show is very funny for adults. Not so much for the kids. Even my oldest, who gets a lot of the jokes is disappointed. I think they were expecting a lot more Muppet kid-level silliness and antics. My youngest feels that the show is “boring” for her and not funny like the movies. We will stick with it, but I’m hoping they can make it a little more kid friendly. I get that they want it to appeal to adults who grew up with the Muppets, but they need the next generation to love it too.

22. Ray says:

When they made this show they clearly decided they needed to go for “Family Guy” level humor in order to stay relevant. The only problem is “Family Guy” was composed of original characters while the Muppets have a long history and reputation of being, well, not this.

After two episodes it’s already clear what a one-note show this is. Yes, we get it: Miss Piggy is a bitch and Kermit is the butt monkey. Meanwhile, Fozzie’s dilemma was standard sitcom fare, but his unrepentant idiocy of falling into the same trap at the end was more cringe-worthy than humorous.

• AngelWasHere says:

I completely agree with you! I couldn’t of said it better myself.

• This in NO WAY qualifies as “Famiily Guy” level humor. Family Guy is back to back to back bits, most of which are quite tasteless (in a good way, I love FG). The Muppets are doing what they’ve always done – they *always* parody the zeitgeist. Miss Piggy has *always* been the bipolar bitch, Kermit is *always* the butt-monkey in charge who has to fix whatever goes wrong. Fozzie’s story wasn’t great. I almost think it would have been better if he’d told it as an extended standup comedy routine over the commercial before the duet, pacing back and forth how comedians do when they tell you all about their bad habits that end up producing a funny story.

23. Bookworm says:

I only tuned in because I’m a Josh Groban fan, but enjoyed the whole episode.

I love when “big names” can make fun of themselves and Josh has proved he’s good at this many times; he has great comedic timing and really should appear in more things like this.

I think most of the complained-about “adult” humour would go over the heads of most children who would be deemed “too young” for it, but can see why they then may not find the show generally as funny as in the past. It was subtle enough for me to not find it offensive, which is saying something!