Post Mortems
Agents of SHIELD Season 3 Spoilers

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Premiere: Stars on Daisy's New Role, Coulson's (Sexy?) Relationship, Anti-Ward Feelings

Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. on Tuesday kicked off its Secret Warriors storyline, in which Daisy attempts to rally the newly Inhuman. But one thing is no longer a secret to viewers: whether Jemma Simmons is alive or dead!

Here, we recap the biggest changes and revelations from the Season 3 premiere, reveal star Chloe Bennet‘s feelings about Ward and offer a bit of scoop from the actress and castmate Clark Gregg.

THE INHUMAN CHANGE | Skye, err, Daisy and Mack are tasked with finding and reaching out to the newbie superpowered aliens. While Daisy tries to help them transition, her former guide through the confusing period is playing Grey’s Anatomy. Lincoln — who now sees his gift as “a curse” — is determined to lead a normal life, which means going back to his job as a doctor. However, very big, scary Lash’s (played by NFL veteran Matthew Willig) entrance brings that “normal” existence to a crashing halt. The new foe blasts Inhumans with energy, leaving behind a corpse, and has the ability to make hospital walls just vanish. Even Daisy and Lincoln’s combined powers aren’t enough to take him down. Daisy tries again to convince Lincoln to join S.H.I.E.L.D., but he runs off instead.

Agents of SHIELD Season 3 SpoilersA NEW RIVAL | Coulson is having a hard time adjusting to Daisy’s name and his robotic hand, which star Clark Gregg believes Fitz created for him. “I think the hand’s probably better than I’m making it look,” Gregg said at a premiere screening panel. “He can’t even seem to tie a tie, which is why he seems to be wearing a little more casual [clothes].” On top of all that, a black ops group is also after the Inhumans, and their leader Rosalind Price (played by UnREAL‘s Constance Zimmer) throws Coulson off his game a bit. Not only does she trap him and Hunter, but she also knows about T.A.H.I.T.I. She’s actually part of a task force created by the president to neutralize alien threats. So could she and Coulson become allies? After all, they seem to have a common enemy in Lash.

WHERE IN THE UNIVERSE IS FITZSIMMONS? | Leo Fitz, who are you and what have you done with the old Leo Fitz?! Apparently, there’s nothing like love for a woman to make a man step up. Driven to find Simmons at any cost, Fitz travels to Morocco to take on a bunch of dangerous arms dealers and get an artifact that may help with the mysterious Kree monolith. “Only love can make a man so stupid,” the head arms dealer comments. Just when it looks like Fitz is about to lose his life, he tricks them all and gets away with the artifact. But was it even worth it? The coveted item turns out to be a piece of paper with the Hebrew word for “death” written on it. “Do something!” Fitz yells at the monolith as the final scene reveals Jemma running for her life in what appears to be an alien, desert environment.

BOBBI AND LANCE | Relationship status: It’s complicated. They’ve been doing it, and now she wants her ring back and all that separates them from what they were is a piece of paper, which Bobbi jokes (?) is in the ocean. But Lance is going to the ground on a mission. Like I said, it’s complicated.

Agents of SHIELD Season 3 SpoilersMISSING IN ACTION | While May is simply on vacation, no doubt enjoying Blair Underwood, Ward is… well, your guess is as good as ours. One thing is for certain: Daisy’s feelings about her ex-handler haven’t changed. “Well, [he’s] a murderer,” star Chloe Bennet maintained at the panel. “Chloe loves Brett [Dalton]. Daisy thinks [Ward] is a little psychotic, probably, right?” Dalton’s response? “I would say, ‘Devoted.'” As for his possibly evil empire, Dalton warned, “It’s a different HYDRA. Watch out!”

Below, Bennet and Gregg mull whether Daisy’s new role will cause her and Coulson to butt heads. They also preview a possible romance for Coulson, the Secret Warriors arc and more.

TVLINE | In the premiere, we really see Daisy stepping up as a leader. How does she see herself and her role within S.H.I.E.L.D.?
CHLOE BENNET | I think she mostly feels obligated. She went through the transformation. She understands more than anyone what it’s like to be so confused and scared and terrified and having to really completely change your life. At the same time, she feels responsible because Coulson has tasked her with being the person who goes out there and assesses the situation and finds these new Inhumans, whether or not they’re bad or good. It’s exactly what she’s supposed to be doing, and she’s confident in knowing that she’s doing exactly what she’s supposed to be doing. But at the same time, she’s kind of torn between two sides. She’s a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent and she’s an Inhuman. She has responsibilities to both sides.
CLARK GREGG | That sounds dramatic.
BENNET | It’s pretty dramatic. It makes for good TV. I think that will be the biggest struggle for her this season.

TVLINE | Is that an adjustment for Coulson, seeing Daisy in this leadership role? Is there maybe some tension between them?
GREGG | No, he gave it to her. He promoted her. She’s not the director of S.H.I.E.L.D., but he’s always felt that she is special and that she has leadership capabilities. As Chloe just said so eloquently, she has a unique perspective on what it’s like to be Inhuman. The concept of Secret Warriors is to put together a team of people who have powers. She seems uniquely suited to that, and he welcomes her growth and her new power. There certainly will be times when she voices her opinion in ways that are uncomfortable or hard to get used to or maybe even takes some liberties because of their closeness. But you know what, if you love people, you’ve got to give them a chance to reach their fullest potential, and that’s what’s strong about Coulson.

TVLINE | What does the Secret Warriors storyline bring to the show that you find different or exciting?
GREGG | I love the idea of mutants in whatever form it takes. It means that people evolve differently than the rest of us in the broader metaphor of the comic book universe, and they have powers. They have different abilities. What’s cool about the Inhumans is some of them take a while to come online. They’re very internal or have to do with prescience or super strength. You never know what each person’s going to have. Whenever people evolve differently in our own world than what has been considered the norm, there are people who want to wipe those people out and there’s people who want to welcome and accept that that’s the new version of us. I find that a really potent metaphor, and it’s what I like about a comic book show, when it can play with those ideas that you don’t see in a naturalistic drama.

TVLINE | What were your first impressions of Lash?
GREGG | “Damn, that dude is big!”
BENNET | Yeah. We had our first rehearsal with him for the first episode. I was looking down at my lines and then I looked up and it was like, “Oh, my God!” Like I freaked out. I think I peed my pants or something. He came in, he’s so big and such a good dancer. It was so much fun. We had a dance-off to Taylor Swift. [Editor’s note: Check out the video proof at the end of this post.]
GREGG | There’s a lot of dancing on the show. Seven-feet-tall, giant monster-y dreads! He was a welcome addition. We love this guy.

TVLINE | What’s the dynamic like between Coulson and Constance Zimmer’s character going forward?
GREGG | With this global outbreak of Inhumanism, suddenly there’s people waking up and accidentally dissolving a block of houses, so Coulson and Daisy are not the only ones trying to find them. There’s suddenly another group aligned with the government called the Alien Threat Containment Unit, run by a formidable woman named Rosalind Price, played by the even more formidable Constance Zimmer, who we’re crazy about. They’re going at it, nose to nose. They don’t see eye to eye right of the gate. They’re don’t trust each other very much. They have serious trust issues.
BENNET | But I think it’s going to end up being a little sexy relationship.
GREGG | You think?
BENNET | Yeah.
GREGG | Your mouth to Odin’s ears, my friend.
BENNET | I’m really excited for Coulson to finally get laid. I mean, hopefully.
GREGG | We haven’t seen that. We don’t know. Sexual spoiler alert!

S.H.I.E.L.D. fans, grade the season opener via the poll below, then hit the comments to back up your pick.

1. laurelnev says:

LOVED the premiere…except for the fact we had NO May!

• laurelnev says:

Hit post too soon…and I don’t seem to be able to edit…so…

So glad to see another govt agency to tussle with SHIELD. That means it won’t be just SHIELD vs Hydra for the whole season. Loving the new Daisy and looking forward to seeing how this season unfurls.

• Tiffany says:

Agree miss my May

• Sara says:

If am being totally honest, I didn’t even notice that May hadn’t been in the episode until they mentioned towards the end that she went on vacation and hadn’t come back. I love May, so I’m a little surprised I didn’t notice she was gone, but I guess that just reflect upon how awesome the episode was.

• Seriously, way to shortchange one of the founding members of the show, guys! But I’m so glad we caught up with Lincoln…

• Robert Dassler says:

Everybody gets their moment in the sun. I think that you are just looking for an ax to grind.

• John NYC says:

Especially over something likely explained via an actor scheduling conflict such as Stana Katic had with the first episode of Castle.

2. Great opener! Love having Constance Zimmer in the picture. Can’t wait to find out where Simmons is and how she gets back.

3. VJ says:

Great premiere! And I like how they actually managed to give any cast member something to do.

4. “She’s actually part of a government task force created by the president to neutralize alien threats. ” S.W.O.R.D.

• Carla Krae says:

It’s not SWORD.

• Wordsmith says:

I wonder if they’re legally allowed to use SWORD in an MCU show. It’s super-ironic, because it’s technically a Joss Whedon creation, but it was introduced in X-Men comics, so it may belong to another studio.

• I was so disappointed when they did used the ACTU instead of SWORD, I mean seriously that would’ve been huge!

• You know, SWORD could be an evolution of the agency’s name, like Coulson might say “ACTU sucks, how about — SWORD?” That could be part of the arc for the season, with the two agencies joining forces. SHIELD and SWORD. Right now they are at odds, so calling it SWORD would only exacerbate that. It be like whoever named it is mocking SHIELD, suggesting that a shield (a defensive weapons) is insufficient, that what the world needs is a sword (an offensive weapon). In contrast, if Coulson were to suggest the name and the two become sister organizations, it would insinuate a team up — and what’s more classic for a Marvel story than the two heroes fighting each other and then teaming up to fight a bigger threat? heh.

5. Mary says:

Great premiere. I wasn’t sure about Lash at first, from what we could see before the premiere but he looks better in action instead of lurking.

Also I had wondered back in May if the monolith was to transport Inhumans off of Earth to the Kree home world to be dealt with and it looks like I was right.

Can’t wait for May and Simmons to return though.

6. Jojo says:

The paper isn’t in the ocean, Hubter’s ring is.

7. Julio says:

After last season’s finale, I was ready to give up on this show. Tonight’s finale was phenomenal. I was really blown away.

8. John Jacob says:

Is it me or does the production value seem WAY better than even Season 2? Watching this episode it felt more like a movie. The series was much better in Season 2 and if this episode is any indication, it’s going to be a wild ride. P.S. How hot is Chloe Bennett?

9. John NYC says:

Great start. Look forward to the ride!

10. Bwhit says:

It was awesome to watch all that Fitz was willing to do to find Simmons and that last scene with him screaming at the monolith was so heartbreaking. If anyone can get Jemma back it is shield! Oh and c’mon Lincoln, Daisy isn’t the one that betrayed you! You can’t live your normal life, so get on board.

11. gs says:

Does anyone else think the Inhuman of the Week looked exactly scruffy Ward?

• donnamama says:

Yes I noticed right away. Was wondering if it was supposed to appease us since no Ward this week

• jd prague says:

During his questioning we find he recently broke up with his boyfriend! Are you kidding me? We’ve watched this series since day 1 but that ended it for us.

• John NYC says:

But his being a motorcycle rider was okay?

Oh my.

• jd prague says:

Too bad that’s not all he rides. Tired of this crap in every show.

• John NYC says:

It’s your obsession you might want to look at, since for everyone else that’s a throwaway line. Looong ways from Transparent.

But, of course, enjoy whatever.

• Big Mike says:

It’s a metaphor. First he had one big secret (being gay) now he has another (being inhuman). It’s a classic story telling technique called mirroring.

Not that you’d notice, being an intolerant, prejudiced, homophobe.

• jd prague says:

I don’t really care what 2 (or more) consenting adults do I just don’t want it in our living
          room every night while trying to watch tv with my wife (female) and it’s not just the homosexuals but the whole far left liberal progressive political agenda. I don’t know when hollywood stopped being an entertainment industry to become the propaganda arm of the far left. Love the hypocritical bashing of evil corporations and rich people who not only provide your jobs and wages but also sponsor the very shows that bash them. Go figure!

• SnowDrifter1 says:

It airs on GayBC so what do you expect.. surprised it took them this long to ruin a otherwise perfectly good show.

12. Rick Katze says:

The world is definitely getting more complicated. I suspect Lincoln will eventually be drawn into Shield.

When Simmons comes back, I wonder if Lady Sith or another of the supporting group will have something to do with it. Admittedly Blindspot will complicate the scheduling.

• Mary says:

Lady Sif. She probably won’t be back any time soon since Jaime Alexander has her own show – Blindspot, but the Asgardian we met in the first season when they were looking for the Bezerker staff is in next week’s episode.

13. No May she is the heart of the show..Loved season 3 premiere

14. kevthepoet says:

WTF any theories on where Gemma got to? Attilan? Kree homeworld? Shrunk to Pym-particle size? Anything?

15. Joey Padron says:

Great season premiere. Good to see Daisy doing great in field and kicking butt. New plane looks great. Like Coulson’s robot hand. Guess we won’t see Lincoln again for awhile with going in hiding with his normal life being over. Constance did good in her first episode. Glad they reveal what happened with Simmons at the end. Hope they can find her soon!

16. James D says:

amazeballs. enough said

17. Charlotte says:

Great episode in general, but let’s be honest, Fitz stole the show. From His Sassy phone call with Bobbi to his James Bond vibe to that last scene (you know you cried too,) Iain is on point this season. I still have my doubts about Joey, but I feel like he’ll fit somewhat we’ll eventually.

• Curly Girly says:

When did Fitz become HOT??? Yowza! He was on fire tonight!

• tvjunkie says:

Yes but how has Fitz been magically cured from his health issues he had all last season? He seemed to be back to season 1 Fitz instead of the guy who nearly drowned. Maybe I forgot about him getting a miraculous cure?

• Charlotte says:

It wasn’t permanent brain damage. By now in SHIELD time it’s been about 1 1/2 years since that happened, so he hasn’t been ‘cured’, he’s recovered.

• Bwhit says:

I think he started progressively getting better as the season went on. He really started to be his old self towards the end of the season when he and Jemma started being Fitzsimmons again. Plus when your other half is missing, you can accomplish incredible things!

• Steve F. says:

Can we get a nomination for Iain de Castecker for Performer of the Week? Make it happen!

18. DarkDefender says:

I have loved S.H.I.E.L.D. Since day one. It just gets better and better each and every episode and I enjoy it more than the Avenger Movies. Lash was awesome. So freaking awesome! Fitz seemed to have made a bigger character progression leap than Daisy, but I’m ok with it. Let’s hope Jemma gets back sooner rather than later and get May and the hubs back on the bus.
    Also, if Coulson doesn’t get horizontal this season.. I have no hope left for him. ;)

19. onefootninja says:

I have a crazy feeling that Simmons is on Hala, the Kree homeworld. Or at least another Kree planet.

Also, it would be great if, at some stage, they made at least a passing reference to DD (and after Jessica Jones has been released – perhaps sometime in the second half of the season, Jess and Luke Cage).

20. Steve F. says:

Just out of curiosity, what happened to the Bus? And, are they still running out of the old SSR location from last season?

Even more curious: is Coulson still head of SHIELD (seeing how at the end of Age of Ultron, Fury looked like he was back in charge)?

• Shaun says:

Think the bus was destroyed or retired.

• Ethan says:

It was destroyed by missiles when it was used as a diversion in season 2 if i recall correctly it was when they saved Lincoln and Mike

• Carol says:

The Bus was blownup in last seasons ep The Dirty Half Dozen. They are still in an old SSR base known as the Playground. Yes Coulson is Director Coulson even though Fury was in Avengers Ultron since Coulson is “still dead” in the movies, silly!

• Steve F. says:

So, Fury must be in charge of the Avengers, and Coulson’s still head of SHIELD… “silly” me.

But then, would it mean that Fury is his right hand? ;)

21. Coal says:

Probably the only network show I enjoy more than AOS is Person of Interest and kudos for ABC for keeping up with it considering its ratings and it doesn’t really fit in the late night soap brand of the channel.

22. This was less exciting than I had hoped for, with many of the components that I loved in previous seasons lacking, if not completely missing.

• Robert Dassler says:

I had the opposite reaction. This is exactly what I have been waiting for. All the components are right there.

23. Sammy says:

Im loving the show hey…. season 3 has hit the proverbial spot. And it just begun!!!
    So many awesome things in one ep….

Cant believe we never got May tho. Love constance. Cant wait to see what she brings…

24. Sarah_ says:

Love the premiere and poor Fitz I hope they manage to find Simmons :(

25. mike says:

Love Daisy, although she needs to be more..Inhuman when using her powers. She just kind of stands there and holds her hands out. No real…IDK..oomph or something.

Missed the part where Fitz made a full recovery. Wasn’t there talk of brain damage last season? Glad he did of course, cause that was awkward. I just really hope these writers are much better than other writers and don’t wait 8 years to put fitzsimmons together, have them get married and then break them up right away.

26. now what i want is zimmer’s character actually is the same on unreal and that she is undercover on the show so she can find “inhumans” ..THAT WOULD BE AWEEEEESOME!!!

27. Mike Rapino says:

This show. It has come so so far.

28. Mika B. says:

Actually it was Hunter who made the joke. Bobbi mentioned that Hunter didn’t know where his ring was and he said he did it was just that he was kinda hard to find the correct scuba gear to go down there.

29. Ellinas1978 says:

Ring is in the bottom of the ocean. I know this is SHIELD but what kind of paper would survive at the bottom of the ocean?

30. Chris says:

Where’s the dance-off video of Chloe Bennet and Matthew Willig, Vlada? I don’t see it at the end of the article?

31. Drew says:

I’m trying not to take the show too seriously. Obviously, it isn’t Daredevil or anything like that, but I can’t get behind the Fitz going all 007. The man suffered severe brain damage, resulting in a nine day coma. For the most part, his therapy seemed to consist of his buddies cheering him on. That’s it. While they could have easily used a McGuffin to fix his brain, they didn’t. And now he shows no sign of brain damage… This just isn’t how the brain works. To get anywhere close to a normal life again, he would need intense therapy. Even then, there would probably be lasting damage that couldn’t be healed.
    So as great as the actor might be doing with the scripts that he is given, the character is a joke at this point. Who cares what happens to him, because nothing serious will ever last for very long.
    Simple rule for TV writers: if you don’t want to take on a story challenge, just don’t go there! (This goes for the Arrow writers too, since that cliff thing was just weirdly bad)
    Other than that, the show is about even with last year. It isn’t great, but isn’t Minority Report either. The change of name for Skye is awkward and should have been skipped, but I suppose is doesn’t matter that much.

• John NYC says:

Actually that is how the brain often works. Time and the wonders of neurobiology. Oh and a nine day coma? Severe but not nearly an inevitable signal of irreversible damage. He’s probably still got challenges, just not ones seen on screen as of yet (one entire episode into the year).

• Robert Dassler says:

You are right. AoS isn’t great. It’s freakin’ awesome. Some people are never satisfied.

32. Allison says:

Awesome, just awesome! I loved it! I really loved Lash!! His presence gave me chills, but in a good way! I loved Constance Zimmer and seeing her made me miss Unreal all over again. I adore Fitz and was pleasantly shocked to see him go ballz out for Simmons. I loved the premiere and will be watching it live – no doubt about it!

33. Am I the only one catching the reference about where Simmons could be? ‘Death’… ‘Thanos’… anyone?… some thanos’ planet… or the moon ha ha am I trying too hard?

34. Season 3 looks promising. By far, the best part of the premiere was Fitz. Although the pace of the episode was good, it mainly just set up Season 3, and felt very administrative or explanatory. It just had so much to do only about 45 minutes in which to do it. A two-hour premiere might have been more satisfying.