Post Mortems
Chasing Life April Dying

Chasing Life Finale: Italia Ricci Explains April's 'Heartbreaking' Decision

Chasing Life fans, now would be a good time to start panicking.

Monday’s season finale ended with April, having been told by her doctors that she’s basically exhausted all treatment options, boldly deciding to live out the rest of her days with dignity, as Beth and Dominic watched helplessly from a distance.

“I remember shooting it, and it made me crazy that she felt like she had nothing else to hold on to,” Italia Ricci tells TVLine of that stunning final scene. “Even though it might not be the right decision in a lot of people’s eyes, it’s the only one that gives her any power. If she were to go back home and continue treatment, she’d be at the mercy of the hospital and the drugs for the rest of her life. She wants to be in control of however much of the rest of her life she has left, which I thought was really interesting.”

Season 2, Episode 13Ricci also notes that April’s “heartbreaking” outlook is representative of how her father handled his own final days, though the connection is “something she doesn’t realize right off the bat when she spirals into this decision.”

And before you go assuming that a third season — ABC Family has yet to renew the series — would present some sort of miracle cure for Ms. Carver, consider Ricci’s words: “I knew that April ends up passing away by the end of [the Mexican series Terminales, upon which Chasing Life is based]. I’m not 100 percent sure, but I feel like that’s probably something we want to maintain. Although, in the original, she beats cancer… then gets hit by a bus and dies.”

As for Beth and Beth Jr. (or Josh Jr.), Ricci notes that “it’s such a nice juxtaposition, bringing a new life into the world while April is trying to figure out how to keep hers going at the same time. April and Beth both have to figure out what to do next. It wasn’t addressed, but I was always curious about how April felt about Beth possibly terminating the pregnancy, considering her own fertility struggles.”

Chasing Life fans, let’s hear your thoughts on the season finale: Do you think Beth will decide to keep the baby? Are you excited by Greer’s return, or just heartbroken over Finn’s choice? And what do you make of April’s bold choice? Grade the episode below, then drop a comment with your full review.

1. amysue4772 says:

Just don’t let her survive cancer just to get hit by a bus because I would not be fine with that.

• KT says:

Right with you on that! How horrible. “She beats cancer…then gets hit by a bus and dies.” What a wretched thing to do to the fans of a show!

2. Cassi says:

Let her survive cancer only to show that cancer can’t fight the body, we as humans can fight the cancer in our bodies ☺️

3. Logan says:

Leo has already died and I feel like if April is to die, I don’t think I could live with myself. I’m hoping to God that Beth keeps the baby! And killing April off in any way would upset a lot of people. Finn has a point but they do belong together. She can help him survive somehow!!!

4. Dawn says:

April is definitely keeping us on our toes! I just hope that she fights and sees where this relationship with Dom actually takes her. Let her live but not to be killed by a bus or whatever. I would really like to see some shake me ups next season. Greer being back was awesome! Can’t wait to see where you take us when they return!

5. Christina Semple says:

I have cried during almost every episode of Chasing Life and the finale is no exception. I lost my mother to cancer and understand April dying in her own terms. But, I am also a die-hard romantic that still loves a happy ending. So I would prefer for her to beat it and not get hit by a bus!

6. Allie says:

Love the series! Love the actors although I understand where April is coming from I would be so sad to see the series end. I feel like there is still a lot of story to be told so I hope they bring it back for another season and maybe have April change her mind. If not I would love to see her enjoy her life as much as possible 😀

7. Nancy Ruiz says:

Been watching chasing life since day one. I have laughed and cried. But most important I have aquired a positive and hopeful attitude towards my recent recurrent Lymphoma. I re-start the battle 10/1/2015. I’m not afraid anymore thanks to Chasing Life. This time I will win my battle!

8. Giovanni Scalzo says:

This show continues to put topics out there for me to wrestle with. I can only hope that i can face my own death with as much courage as April. I love watching the show with my wife and 2 daughters. We are praying this isn’t the end!

9. Amy says:

Wow! What a cliffhanger! While it does give a sense of peace hearing April say she has fulfilled her dreams in life and would be happy were her life to end now, I really want Dom to take her hand and show her how much she has to live for yet, including him! I do think Beth will keep the baby, I am sure of it! I am not thrilled about Greer being back though, and Sarah needs to follow her own advice and go for George!

10. Kim says:

I think Beth should keep the baby. Sad that Brenna & Fin broke up. I hope that they realize that she is his donor. April needs to go home. She needs to be with her family. If she doesn’t want to continue with treatment that’s her choice but at least be at home. She would be doing what her dad did when he died. Do it for her family

11. Lydia says:

Please bring the show back! Everything is not resolved. Love the characters, even just looking at them. I miss Leo. Cancer can have so many ups and downs it seems like we could see this at least another year or two. Just because a show was based on another is no reason to replicate it.

12. Craig says:

Am I the only one concerned about the police showing up to talk to George?

13. a.c. says:

I’m sorry…What? She beats cancer and gets hit by a bus and killed?! Omg, make that happen. It’s morbid and horrible…but I laughed out loud…I’m a horrible person.

14. Carla says:

Don’t cancel! Love this show.

15. Carla says:

Please renew and let her be with Dom. Beth keep baby and Finn fight too.

16. Jacqueline says:

The show is called chasing life not chasing death … Having her or Finn or Beth’s baby die is going to ruin the whole show … As well as make many cancer patients and survivors give up hope.

Having Leo die Su$ked!

17. kens says:

I absolutely love the show! And I hope there will be another season.

18. Victoria says:

Please don’t let this end! Leo was bad enough, I can handle watching her fight with Dom by her side. She needs to be there as Beth brings a life into the world. Her sister needs to tell Finn she’s his donor- he needs to know she helped him not hurt him. What happens to George? There are just too many unaswered questions so I hope this wasn’t the end!!

19. Kristina says:

Please don’t cancel the show let April be the one to make it then goes after her dream please?

20. Sharon says:

Just bring it back next season!

21. ctillman says:

You know what would be a great ending is that she does pass away. I already picture the scene in my head. During her final hours or days leading up to her death. She finishes her book bit her mom gives it to her editor because of course she bedritten. All her friends and family spends time with her. Day by day her health decreases. On her last day, because no one for sure really knows when she’s going to die they just want to spend the little bit of time they have left with her. I though hospital or home and home sounds better. Its night time and she is at home (not the apartment)she’s on the Couch laying down and her family along with her closets friends are there and she are telling stories about each other. Its a cozy feel candles few drinks Brenna and Beth sitting on the floor by April. Dom and Natalie are on the other side sitting on the floor talking everyone else are scattered around the room comfortably just laughing and smiling. Soon April feels tired but she doesn’t express it. She’s just happy smiling and laughing. She is covered with a red light blanket comfortable and happy. She grows sleepy and positions herself comfortably. As she is laying down she’s looking at the ceiling smiling. She turns over to look at everyone around the room takes a deep breath then closes her eyes. (This is where the fantasy part come in) April hears someone calling her name saying,”April wake up. Its time to wake up.” She opens her eyes and she’s in her house in her room on the bed. She sits up looking different. She is now wearing a white flowy dress and she sits up first looking down at her dress looking around the room realizing that its morning the sun is shining through the windows. Then realize that her hair is pass her shoulders she takes her hands and start feeling the top of her head getting up to run to the mirror to see that its long. She then turns around remembering that some called her. She walks tarwards the door leaving the room because she also remembered that there were people at the house. She calls out her mothers name first…nothing, then her sisters…nothing…her uncle…..nothing..as she is doing this she is looking in their rooms….seeing no one is their heads down stairs all the while calling their names. She is literally searching the house then as she reach the front room as leaving the front room towards the hall, that leads to the front door, she turns her head and stops. There standing the one person who warmed their way into her heart the love of her life the person who taught her about life, Leo. He stands there smiking that beautiful smile of his looking striaght at her. She has a disbelief look on her face whispering is name softly and then slowly walk forward him. Smiling eyes getting glossy. As she finally got close to him. She slowly but carefully raises her hand to touch his face. She gently caresses the right side of his face softly speaking, is it really you. Are you really here?” Along he is deeply looking into her eyes. He takes his hands and gently puts it over her hand responding, ” I heard you were going to be here. So I came to get you.” April response, ” I missed you so much.” (She is crying while saying this)They lend into each other slowly Leo takes his hand and puts in on the side of her face for kissing her gently.
    Leo: I missed you too. We have to hurry. Its time to go.
    April: wait where are we going? What about my family…friends…Brenna, my mom, Beth.
    Leo: (He takes both of her hands.) Everything will be alright. They know that you are a special person and that you did everything you could to make them understand that you were happy and that you love them with all your heart. That’s why they were with you they wanted to repay you for being in their lives and for being the April that they love. They know that you are always going to be with them no matter what may happen and that you are going to be looking over them making sure that they are okay. But it is time April.
    April: Time for what?
    Leo:Time to let go of any pain that you have been feeling. Time for you to be at peace. That’s why I’m here I’ve been waiting. Waiting for you to come. And now we can finally leave this house together. Its time to go.
    April let’s a tear fall. Leo grabs her hand. He opens the front door. The light is so bright.
    Leo: Are you ready?
    April shakes her head. She looks back at her empty house one last time.
    April: (whispering) Goodbye.
    She turns around and they both head out the door with the door closing behind them.
    Flashing back to reality when April’s mom is looking at April across the room. She feels that something is different. She walks over to April all the while the noise fading into silence. Showing April moms sitting next to April and everyone is starting to sense the mom reaction. The scene fades out.
    Beth decides to name her baby after Apirl.
    Uncle George and mom are finally together….blah blah blah. You get the whole April part.

22. Kimberly Osorio says:

I hope there’s another season and I hope beth keeps her baby. I hope April makes it. I was completely devestated when Leo died. I cried and cried but I hope she works it out with Dominic. I don’t really care about greer being back I liked Brenna with Finn better! I hope nothing major bad happens with George or the family about Thomas’ death.

23. Mia says:

This show is the most important one I’ve ever watched. In short, it saved my life that I was willing to give up, until I saw how full it could be through April and her determination to live. It honestly means so much to me. I love Dominic and April, I want to see them through. I want to know what happens to Brenna and everyone else. I love April, and I don’t think it would be right or fair for her to die after everything she’s been through, I think if anyone deserves a happy ending its April Carver.

24. Joey Padron says:

Good finale. Hope April survives the cancer.

25. ashley says:

We all see where April is going but let us watch her go in the full cycle of life and see what happens to everybody around when she finally does it’s the only way to be remain the most realistic scripted series

26. I hope ABC renews this show we deserve to see it to the end even if it is just 1 more.
    Deserve to find out what happens with George, Brenna and we just want all of these characters to be okay.

27. myra says:

I don’t have cancer but hearth condition that is a life or dead matter. I love this show because April have feeling, emotions and frustration like any normal 24 years old that learn that is dying. For once, she wants to have control in her life and feel happy … most of all in peace with all the craziness in her life. I don’t want the show to end because I relate to her so much. I want to have faith that a fairytale ending is possible also.

28. Cheri Williams says:

I thought it was a very realistic end to the season. I was more shocked at Leo ‘s sudden death than April’s decision to take control of what life she has left to live. I would love to see Beth and Josh keep the baby, if its a girl call her April. I would love to see April’s mom and uncle become a couple, maybe marry. I would love Natalie and Brenna grow as sisters and see Natalie keep her promise to April and always be there for Brenna. I hope April and Dominic enjoy her time left with love and adventures and that he helps her succeed in completing her book so it can be published…..a beautiful life remembered and never waisted……

29. ctillman says:

You know what would be a great ending is that she does pass away. I already picture the scene in my head. During her final hours or days leading up to her death. She finishes her book but her mom gives it to her editor because of course she bedritten. All her friends and family spends time with her. Day by day her health decreases. On her last day, because no one for sure really knows when she’s going to die they just want to spend the little bit of time they have left with her. (I thought hospital or home and home sounds better.) Its night time and she is at home (not the apartment)she’s on the Couch laying down and her family along with her closes friends are there and they are telling stories about each other. Its a cozy feel candles few drinks Brenna and Beth sitting on the floor by April. Dom and Natalie are on the other side sitting on the floor talking everyone else are scattered around the room comfortably just laughing and smiling. Soon April feels tired but she doesn’t express it. She’s just happy smiling and laughing. She is covered with a red light blanket comfortable and happy. She grows sleepy and positions herself comfortably. As she is laying down she’s looking at the ceiling smiling. She turns over to look at everyone around the room takes a deep breath then closes her eyes.
    (This is where the fantasy part come in) April hears someone calling her name saying,”April wake up. Its time to wake up.” She opens her eyes and she’s in her in her room on the bed wondering how she got there. She sits up looking different. She is now wearing a white flowy dress and she sits up first looking down at her dress looking around the room realizing that its morning the sun is shining through the windows. She soon feels a brush on her shoulder. Then realize that her hair is pass her shoulders she takes her hands and start feeling the top of her head getting up to run to the mirror to see that its long. She then turns around remembering that someone called her. She walks torwards the door leaving the room because she also remembered that there were people at the house. She calls out her mothers name first…nothing, then her sisters…nothing…her uncle…..nothing..as she is doing this she is looking in their rooms….seeing no one is there she heads down stairs all the while calling their names. She is literally searching the house room by room then as she reach the front room she sees no one turns to leave and as shes leaving the front room towards the hall, that leads to the front door, she turns her head and stops. There standing the one person who warmed their way into her heart the love of her life the person who taught her about life, Leo. He stands there smiling that beautiful smile of his looking striaght at her. She has a disbelief look on her face whispering is name softly and then slowly walk forward him. Smiling eyes getting glossy. As she finally got close to him. She slowly but carefully raises her hand to touch his face. She gently caresses the right side of his face softly speaking, “is it really you. Are you really here?” All along he is deeply looking into her eyes. He takes his hands and gently puts it over her hand responding, ” I heard you were going to be here. So I came to get you.” April response, ” I missed you so much.” (She is crying while saying this)They lend into each other slowly Leo takes his hand and puts in on the side of her face for kissing her gently.
    Leo: I missed you too. We have to hurry. Its time to go.
    April: Time for what?
    Leo: Are you ready?
    April shakes her head. She looks back at her empty house one last time.
    April: (whispering) Goodbye.
    Time lapse Beth, Brenna, and Natalie is at April grave next to Leo talking to her about her life. And her best selling book.
    Beth decides to name her baby after Apirl.

30. Lily says:

The finale need more suspence… Leo’s death should have been the ending. It felt as if the writers ran out of things to write. I love the show. I can’t wait for next season.

31. Velocisexual says:

I would give this an A if it wasn’t for Dominic. I absolutely cannot stand what they’ve been doing with him from the moment Leo died. They are moving way too fast with this romance plot and it’s disgusting me.

32. Richele G says:

This show has to come back and with a new reenergized focus….going back to season one roots and find the jewel that once was. Dealing with Leukemia and identifying with the Brenna subplot…this show meant the world to me…and I want it to again. The show had a specific energy and edginess that made it stand all on its own. The show needs to come back….it needs to find its center again….some of us are counting on it….and for all’s sake..ignore any endings of it’s precursor….I don’t care where the show evolved from..neither should the Chasing Life family…I only care about what it can evolve into. Stand back and envision the lasting impact this program could have with another 4-5 years for a powerful journey to unfold for all the characters. Take it all into a direction that will make a significant difference into the lives of your first passionate viewers…people like me.

33. miriam says:

I luv Chasing Life, a seriers that explains and lets people know that out in this unexplained world, each and every person has a life of suffering and happiness, but even with suffering the happiness is stronger.

34. Michele says:

I’m heartbroken for the change of events in the story but it is actually reallife. However…if she livea and then is hit by a bus I would die because it would just be over dramatic at that point! Don’t do that!! I hope Beth keeps the baby and gets married. I hope ABC Family renews for another season.

35. Hessica says:

I seriously hope there is a third season

36. I love chasing life. I feel as if I am right there is the show. So many ups and downs not the same problems of my own life but somewhat relatable. Many unanswered questions in the last show. I really hope to see another season!!!!

37. So sad about Finns choice, poor Brenna :( They seemed perfect for each other!! April Pls live!!!

38. Hannah says:

This series cannot be over.. I pray that Beth keeps the baby with Josh! And I’d be crushed if they killed off April just before a future with Dom showed to be a possibility. Brenna and Finn are meant for each other and I hope they end up together.. I’d hate to see Brenna and Greer get back together because Finn and Brenna are actually perfect.

39. Ym says:

I get why April is thinking this way, but she has so much to fight for I would be totally heartbroken if she dies. She and dom belong together. Also I really hope Beth keeps the baby, I litteraly cried when she told Josh, he is the sweetest. Brenna and Finn should be togehter, I always liked Greer, but now she will be back I don´t anymore.

40. laura wallace says:

Please please don’t kill off April I would really like to see where her and Dom go from here!!! I always believed they were meant to be together just like Brenna belongs with Finn!!! I also think she will keep her baby!!! This story can’t be done yet there is still so much story to be told including Sarah and George!!!! Please renew and bring this story back April can’t be done living !!!!

41. kate says:

I believe this was only the fall finale and there are more episodes to this season.

I totally get her decision. I believe that as a patient it’s your responsibility to assert yourself. But I worry the other factors that might be impacting the decision right now. Her father, and Leo, just receiving word about the possibilities, heck, that Beth is pregnant.

I didn’t know that exact outcome of the telenovella but did know about the end result. I don’t see them making that same choice it won’t be as peaceful as Leo but probably not as unexpected.

42. Chris says:

Every television show sets up this same story. Single woman becomes pregnant. Maybe 30 seconds of agonizing. Baby born. Happiness fills the screen. There are lots of times in awful old real world where it goes differently: Agonizing followed by realization that this is a terrible time for an unplanned pregnancy. Termination of pregnancy with resolve to become pregnant when time is right. Relief fills the screen. Or even… Baby born. Father disappears. Life just became a lot more complicated. Pessimism ensues. Sorry about that.

43. Sarah says:

I love Chasing Life, one of the best shows on TV please keep it going!!

44. smartysenior says:

When there are no known treatments anymore you make the choice to have a good life for the time left. Her choice was no surprise to me, it’s one I would make in a heartbeat. Leo had brain cancer and it is always terminal, a fact that the show for some reason ignored until he died. Beth has zero support or protection to offer a newborn, she’s not employed, no long relationship with the Father, lives in a dump, and is losing her closest friend. If she doesn’t terminate her pregnancy this show will have written a dishonest choice for her. The stunning way this show has presented real issues dealt with in real ways is its strength. Everything is always about your choices.

45. silverpetticoatreview says:

I don’t think it would be an unhappy ending if April were to die. The whole premise is to chase after life for whatever amount of time you have! I think it would be sad, but any other ending to me wouldn’t make sense to the message. But that’s just me. Then there’s that part of me that imagines her reuniting with Leo in heaven. Haha! That’s still a happy ending to me…

46. Allison says:

As a young woman with cancer it’s nice to see a show about the stuff we deal with, even if it’s on a more extreme level for some. I love all the characters on the show and will be extremely disappointed if there is no 3rd season

47. Jacki says:

I love love this show and I really hope that they renew it for a 3rd season and more if they can. Also would love for this to come out in dvd son can buy for a friend of mine who has cancer and can relate to this.

48. NJMark says:

However they decide to end this, they do not have to mechanically follow the Mexican series. “Based on” doesn’t mean “point-by-point reproduction.”

49. Barb Hofmann says:

My doctors have told me a similar thing…no more life saving treatments are available. It has been a roller coaster of emotions. I like the way the show is handling April’s decision. It is realistic! Not everyone gets to live the “fairy tale”; life is imperfect at best, but it is worth living to the fullest to the very end; hence:” Chasing Life!”

• Melissa C says:

Barb,
      I am sorry. My spouse is a 3 time cancer survivor. With the last cancer we found out she couldn’t process the chemo and would max out her lifetime use of radiation only 1/3 way through treatment. With no other option before having surgery we went with alternatives. She followed an alkaline diet and took B17/apricot seeds. We bought the seeds online. 3 months later when they did the surgery to remove the tumor and it was NED (no evidence of disease) and all 17 affected lymph nodes were clear. Just wanted to share with you. Not saying it will work for everyone. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. I wish you nothing but the best.
      Melissa

• marita6788 says:

We are so sad to know that this show is discontinue. We would like to know what we can do to help bring this show to the air again. I am fighting cancer and this show was related to issue and emotions what I and many of us going thru. How we can help to bring this show back to air?
        Melissa, thank you for sharing alternatives. Can I ask you about alkaline diet link. Thank you!

50. Shalyn says:

I’m not ready to see the end. I’m eighteen and I have family that has these circumstances and I want good to happen. Even if spirits and change comes in this series to make life better.