HTGAWM: Rebecca's Killer 'Relieved' By Revelation of Guilt

There are plenty of ways you could’ve appropriately responded to the unmasking of Rebecca Sutter’s killer on the How to Get Away With Murder Season 2 premiere — surprise, horror and disbelief all topping the list.

But happiness and relief? Well, that’s how the actor whose character did the bad deed felt upon seeing the script for “It’s Time to Move On.”

“I was relieved, actually, when I found out it was me,” shares Liza Weil, whose mousy-but-loyal Bonnie Winterbottom ended Rebecca’s life by tying a plastic bag over her head and watching her slowly suffocate. “We had laid so much groundwork last season about this immense loyalty and the bond between Bonnie and Annalise. I was happy to have a hard event that backs that up now. It runs deep.”

Weil, speaking at ABC’s “TGIT”/Shondaland event Saturday night in Los Angeles, added that Bonnie’s descent into homicide has her worried about the character’s longevity, but that’s merely an occupational hazard of being in the Shondaland sphere.

“I’m always worried. Y’know, enjoying every sandwich,” said Weil, who also played the ill-fated Amanda Tanner on the Shonda Rhimes-produced Scandal. “It’s a Shondaland thing, and the name of our show is How to Get Away With Murder. People are going to continue to get killed, and it could be any one of us at any time. I don’t think we have any illusions about that.”

Asked about her favorite Season2 scene she’s shot to date, Weil teased she’s “had a lot of great scenes with Matt McGorry this season that I’m excited about.” Don’t assume, however, that the Bonnie-Asher dynamic will continue to be all about the canoodle. “I can’t tell you that. Allegedly, they were [continuing to hook up], but one can be in a scene with somebody and it doesn’t have to be romantic,” she adds with a laugh. “I’ll say that. I’m very excited about that.”

—Reporting by Diane Gordon

How did you feel about the Bonnie-killed-Rebecca reveal? Will Weil’s character survive the season? Share your thoughts in the comments!

1. Larc says:

I hope to see both cold-blooded killers on HTGAWM get their just deserts, by whatever means. Neither is necessary to the storyline, IMO.

2. Eran says:

This is a trend that began on Scandal and which I’m seeing is spreading onto How to Get Away with Murder. Far too many characters are crossing the line from human and sympathetic to flat out monster.
    I don’t mind flawed or even flat out, morally bankrupt characters. If written well then I could just about root for them but it’s different with murderers, at least for me as a viewer,

On Scandal, both Jake and Huck could not drop dead soon enough as far as I’m concerned and I really don’t want to see that happen on HTGA. I adore Liza Weil but now that the character has taken this full on psychotic turn, I’ve no idea whether there’s any redemption for Bonnie.
    As it stands, Shonda would be wise to make sure not too many of her leads have blood on their hands because you can kill of 115 McDreamys but as long as there’s someone still left to root for on the show then I sure as hell will keep tuning in but when everyone at a certain point becomes, if to quote Annalise “a monster”, then that’s a foolproof of alienating this viewer at least.

• Eran says:

apologies for the lazy proofreading

• Kathy says:

AMEN! As I watched HTGAWM, I kept thinking why am I wasting my time watching these completely immoral characters and why should I care about any of them. I agree about Scandal, too. Every single character has blood on their hands. There is such an ick factor with both shows. I’m really not sure if I’m going to keep watching this season of HTGAWM. I’m just not invested. Scandal I will watch reluctantly because I’ve gone this far. Shonda is definitely getting too dark and twisty for me!

• Jess says:

The reason we watch all these immoral character is because they’re doing exactly what many people feel like doing. Haven’t you ever imagined yourself murdering someone? But you’d never do it in real life. It’s just a fantasy in your head. That’s what television is sometimes. A way to live a fantasy without actually living it. I mean the show is literally called How To Get Away With Murder. You must admit part of you watched this to actually see how you could get away with murder. Everyone has a little “monster” in them so don’t be angry when you get exactly what you want. If the death of Sam didn’t at least satisfy you, why are you even watching the show?

3. Belle says:

Both shows are almost to the point of being comically over the top…as a viewer I am tired of all the hook-ups and murders – it has become too routine, we have to want to root for people and/or couples but can’t if they keep going past the point of no return morally :( If it becomes too common-placed where could the story line possibly go – just alienates delusional fans who are edging closer to dumping these shows.

• Clandestine Green says:

I don’t watch SCANDAL , but, HTGAWM is definitely high camp and, as much as i love Viola Davis, her performance makes her the queen of camp….way over the top…but in a fun kind of way. I am surprised the critics like it.

• Eran says:

Don’t get me wrong, I adore a well-written, OTT, camp performance and even a bonkers enough story if it’s told well and takes the plot and the characters seriously, but it’s the chilling cruelty and violence I take issue with.
        I’ve been watching Bones for 11 years now and am no stranger to harrowing TV deaths but I just have my own threshold and different standards for leading characters which is why I’ve never watched an episode of Hannibal, despite owning every other series Bryan Fuller has ever made.
        Past a certain level, I just can’t tolerate the violence and evil. It’s bad enough to know there totally are real people out there who are capable of this and have done this, I’d rather not welcome them into my living room.
        And yet I’ll stick with the show for now. The pros far outweigh the cons so far.

4. Leo says:

omg she played Amanda Tanner from S1 Scandal? unbelievable!!

5. Yoki says:

So didn’t recognize that was Amanda Tanner. Do right by Shonda, you’ll always have a job.

6. Jake says:

It was rather uneventful and disappointing, you want the killer to have a solid motive and this just seems stupid and worse I don’t care or that interested.

7. JJ says:

haha I think it’s hilarious that people are complaining there are too many murders on a show entitled How to Get Away with Murder. Murder is right there in the title. seriously what were you expecting?

8. Adam says:

It’s not a big deal to me because I kind of like TV spoilers because they allow you to justify characters’ actions before a big reveal, but I wanted to let you know that if you do a web search for “How to Get Away with Murder,” the header for this article comes up as “‘How to Get Away With Murder’: Bonnie Killed Rebecca — Season 2 Spoilers” rather than the less spoiler-y headline you’ve used on this page for the article. Just thought I’d give a heads-up in case you didn’t know because usually TVLine headlines avoid revealing the spoilers.

9. Loren Green says:

0_0 SPOILER!!!!!!!! HOW DARE U. i watch these on netflix and was trying to figure out when season 2 comes on netflix and you just ruined it ;(

10. Lauryn says:

Seriously consider not putting a spoiler in the article’s title then followed by “Season 2 spoilers” like???

11. Dustin says:

Rebecca having her head bagged was a great scene. I could feel her helplessness as she was gagged and left to suffocate to death. You don’t come across too many scenes like this.