Mistresses Renewed at ABC

ABC is continuing its affair with Mistresses.

After ending Season 3 with a crazy cliffhanger — squirrelly Wilson, dressed in Calista drag, pointed a gun at Joss after she realized he was Luca’s real killer (and also bats–t insane) — the network announced Friday that it has renewed the on-the-bubble soap for a fourth season spanning 14 episodes (one more than its 2015 run).

Mistresses‘ Sept. 3 finale drew 2.7 million total viewers and a 0.6 rating.

TVLine’s Renewal Scorecard has been updated to reflect the news.

This time last year, the summer guilty pleasure scored a last-minute Season 3 renewal — but only after its producers agreed to move production from Los Angeles to Vancouver in an effort to reduce costs. Series star Alyssa Milano opted to exit the series rather than uproot her family, and Blue Bloods vet Jennifer Esposito joined the cast as a series-regular to help fill the void.

When the show returns in Summer 2016, however, Esposito — whose character was last seen preparing to commit suicide in her prison cell — will not return. TVLine confirmed the actress’ contract was for one year only.

“We would love to invite Jennifer back for as many episodes as she’s willing or able to do, but this was a one-year character for us — at the level she’s playing this year,” showrunner Rina Mimoun told TVLine earlier this month. “We were blown away by her performance, and she brings a certain sparkle, but if we’re lucky enough to get a fourth season, we might just want to find a whole different woman to inject into our foursome. We don’t want to start with so much baggage for all the other women to get through.”

By “baggage,” Mimoun was referring to the fact that Esposito’s character’s web of lies landed central character Joss (Jes Macallan) in the clink for half the season.

Aside from Joss’ uncertain fate, Season 3 of Mistresses ended with: a pregnant Karen witnessing the death of terminally ill Vivian, who, along with husband Alec had tried and failed to make it work as “thruple”; Harry landing a Food Network gig exploring cuisine through Europe alongside celebrity chef Rocco DiSpirito (with his agent Ari negotiating a contract that allowed his love Joss to accompany him); and April finally admitting her feelings for Marc — the brother of the Florida swamp skank with whom April’s first husband feigned his death and began a new life, before actually dying — and learning he felt the same.

Excited that Mistresses will live to see a Season 4? Sound off in the comments!

1. Boiler says:

If this is true then Rookie Blue should come back if Canada keeps it AND Motive needs to come back as it easily rated better than Mistresses

• Mary says:

We enjoy Rookie Blue and Motive.

• James says:

That will be CTV/Bell Media’s call to make, not ABC.

• canadian ninja says:

Not sure if Bell Media/CTV or whoever would keep Motive or Rookie Blue without the licensing fees they get from ABC.

Maybe, they didn’t give a crap about NBC not keeping Saving Hope.

• James says:

Erratum on what I wrote.: Motive’s from CTV and Rookie Blue’s from Global TV.

Now, if ABC cancel either one or both of the two, would it affect those shows’ chances of renewal in Canada? ABC doesn’t have a stake in those shows and I’m sure international distribution would more than make up whatever license fees CTV and Global would lose from no longer having a US network to air them stateside.

• Ram510 says:

Motive never take rated better than Mistresses

• acurat says:

Rookie Blue was on life support when it was canceled today, Oct. 16. The ratings after six years were not what they once were, and the storyline was written to end now. Seasons 5 and 6 were filmed together back in 2014 to save money, and the episodes released in Canada in the spring of each year, and in the summer in the USA. That show is done.

Motive was canceled after two years due to ratings. It was creative but did not have enough of a following.

Mistresses held its ratings since last year almost exactly, and lowered its production cost (and reduced its cast with Alissa Milano leaving the cast). So it made economic sense to bring it back for one more year.

• Sam says:

Rookie Blue has ZERO chance of coming back. The showrunner wrote the ending so a new class came in for that reason, and one character moved away to follow his love. This was intentional as in Canada, to support the small Canadian film industry (this was produced by CTV/Media Bell, both based in Canada) with government funding. It ran out in season 5 so they did a double season of 25 episodes to get a 13 and 12 episode season for two more years (the episodes were filmed and finished by 2014). This was the show’s last hurrah without government funding. Continuum on Sci Fi and CTV was under the same fate but its funding ran out after three seasons, only CTV and Sci Fi picking up the full bill gave it 6 episodes more in 2015 to close the series out with an ending.

2. william says:

Bring back Alyssa Milano. The show is missing her.

3. Shaun says:

Who watches this?

4. wrstlgirl says:

YAY!! Last season was great.

5. Georgia says:

Hooray! That’s good news! Love this show.

6. Grace says:

So happy about this news! Between this and the Devious Maids renewal, it’s been a good week for nighttime soaps.

7. I am so happy. Thank you ABC for renewing this fantastic show

8. Sofie says:

This is awesome news, I’m so excited!

9. Diane says:

I am really happy it is coming back. I watched the original BBC episodes and this one has gone a lot farther. I am happy that Rob Mayes us going to be back. It would be nice if Savi would come back. Joss has been in a lot of trouble and could use her sister but thankfully she has the other girls.

10. I’m glad for that;but ABC please don’t kill off Jennifer Esposito!i like her better than Alissa Milano…

11. H says:

YESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYRSYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYESYES

12. Christine fraser says:

Can’t wait!! Love this show

13. kanya says:

I’m so happy the show is returning. :-)

14. Daphne says:

So Happy!!love love love this show!!

15. Angela Warren says:

I love this show! so glad it will have another season!

16. MyFairLady says:

This is amazing news… season 3 was by far the best hope the show continues to deliver incredible seasons. I’m ok either way with Calista leaving or staying. I haven’t really forgiven her for Joss and I can’t see the other ladies just letting all that slide

17. Tammy says:

Please bring jennifer espisito back she made the show! And why do we have to wait until june 😢

18. Karen says:

Bring back Alyssa Milano!!

19. Lenora says:

I’m very excited. This is one of my favorite shows. I always felt that Joss was the real start of the show anyway.

20. Jeri says:

love love love this show so glad it is coming back, can’t wait for summer

21. Deena says:

Love this show, love all the drama and the setting on the edge on your seat excitement! Please keep it coming.

22. Manhattan Mom says:

I love this show – even as ridiculous as it is…so glad it’s renewed. I give all credit to Michael Ausiello for finally saving a show I love.

23. Yayyy! So glad it’s renewed.

24. Allison says:

Very, very good news! Congrats on the renewal!

25. Carole says:

Love this show!!!

26. Meghan says:

Yes!!! So happy it was renewed!! And I can’t wait to read Slezak’s recaps next summer :)

27. Ted says:

Would like Esposito back.She was great on Blue Bloods better then her replacement!

28. jojo fitzgerald says:

Yea, I am tickled that Mistresses is coming back on !!!! When does it start ?? Gotta make sure I dont miss it !!

29. Mari says:

Well,They need to renew Rookie Blue too.
    Rating wise,did better than mistress, and I don’t think Global will renew it with no support from ABC,so get to it

30. Lerbert says:

Good news! It’s always nice when these “quieter” shows get renewed and Mistresses has been a really enjoyable show to watch.

31. Jack says:

What is the date season for opens?

32. Dera says:

Thanks ABC! It’s one of the only summer shows I look forward to.

33. Donna says:

LOVE LOVE LOVE THIS SHOW!!! So happy it’s coming on for another season! I wish we didn’t have to wait so long! I thought this was the best season yet.. Can’t wait for more!!!!

34. msb says:

So happy about this! There are so few good drama’s in the summer and I was hooked on this show from the beginning!

35. Joanne says:

Love loved Mistresses was so sad to see it end was one of the best shows. You made me smile and laugh an so ooo
    HAPPY That it’s coming back.

36. Wilhyn says:

Love,Iove, love the show……

37. Emely says:

Love this show so much. Can’t wait

38. Joana says:

Great news!!!! Thank you for new season!!!

39. Lyric says:

I’m glad the show is returning, Calista was good this season but her time is up, she didn’t kill Luca but she did throw Joss under the bus. Bring back Savi, the emotions from her exit from the show will make a very good drama between her, Joss and the rest of the characters.

40. Tam says:

Love love love this show… thank you for bringing it back….. I think Melissa should make a special appearance. .. I love Joss’s character. I did not really like the thought of the whole Joss and Harry relationship, but it is growing on me.

41. Tiffany says:

I wish they showed ratings based off hulu, and not only for live/dvr….I love this show!!!!! Savi, wasn’t missed much, but I think if they add her in an episode for a possible cameo next season that’d be GREAT & awkward. Maybe have joss and Harry in Europe and see Savi. Whatever they do I’m grateful for another season.

42. Stephanie says:

Yayyyyyyyy!!! Thank the TV GODS!!!! Best news I’ve heard all week

43. Ram510 says:

Is it worth noting that the Mistresses finale was up against football and was preemted in many areas. it was at a .8 in the demo just the week prior and also the week before that was well

44. ChrisGa says:

I miss Alyssa Milano terribly and I thought Jennifer Esposito was fantastic too but I think the show is more than strong enough with the other three leads, who are all great(although, if they needed to add a fourth, they could bring on the actress who plays Ari permanently; she and the character are a firecracker).

45. Peter says:

Bring back savvy

46. Maryann says:

So love this show but miss Alyssa Milano so much, wish there was a way she could return. Loved Jen Esposito on Blue Bloods and loved her appearance here too….would love to see more of her as well….keep the episodes coming p-l-e-a-s-e!!

47. stacey says:

Yes I so happy mistresses will be back. I wish it would be on before summer.

48. Jackie says:

Yes!!!!!! I looooove this show and that cliffhanger ending had my friends and I on the edge of our seats!!!!!! Thanks for renewing!!!