Proof Cancelled TNT

TNT Cancels Proof After One Season

“Is there life after death?” is a question TNT’s Proof may itself now be wondering.

The freshman drama, which starred Jennifer Beals as a surgeon enlisted by Matthew Modine’s eccentric billionaire to investigate — nay, find proof of — the existence of an afterlife, has been cancelled after one 10-episode season.

TVLine’s hand-crafted Cable Renewal Scorecard has thusly been updated.

Proof debuted in June to 2.7 million total viewers and a 0.4 rating, and come finale time was pulling 2.1 mil/0.3. But even with DVR playback bumps, the numbers simply skewed too old.

Among TNT’s other drama offerings, The Last Ship was recently commissioned for Season 3, Falling Skies wrapped its run this summer, Murder in the First awaits news on Season 3, Rizzoli has been renewed for a shortened season and both Perception and Franklin & Bash got the hook last November. Legends and The Librarians have their Season 2 premieres coming up, while Major Crimes resumes Season 4 on Nov. 2.

1. N says:

I loved Proof!

2. AJJJ says:

Too bad. I enjoyed the show a lot. Perception, now Proof. Every show I watch on that network ends up getting canceled.

3. DMCo says:

Serious TNT. This show was interesting and thought provoking. I actually like it better than Rizzoli & Isles. Shame on you.

4. Kat says:

Papa Pope is freee

5. c-mo says:

Apparently advertisers don’t realize that the demo they’re looking for doesn’t exist in the numbers they’re looking for! People in their target demo are either watching in DVR or streaming or they’re working 3 jobs in order to be able to afford to live.

• c-mo says:

On not in…sheesh!

• prish says:

Cable companies would know which viewers of which shows buy the high cost movies and pay per view broadcasting, to name a few things. I would not be surprised if that had something to do with canceling a show, these days. If the viewers of a show are not spending a lot of money on something else, maybe the show is not worth keeping…these days. A changing world? I know the pain, since I loved Perception.

• Dysturbed says:

It would be great if advertisers would identify what demo is most likely to watch certain shows and then during those hours, pay to air ads that are specifically geared towards that demo rather than focus almost only on the younger one (even though it is with good reason). In other words, if a show skews older, plan accordingly. That would complicate things quite a bit though on the advertisers end though for various reasons, which is probably why they don’t do it.

6. Dean says:

Not surprised the concept of a supernatural medical drama has been done too many times.

7. tenney says:

Aww drat. I really enjoyed proof. It was a good summer show.

8. It took forever to get on the air, and then they cancel it? Lame. Things were getting more interesting.

9. Boiler says:

Stupid network cancelled Perception for this garbage and Public Morals. The smart factor has decreased since Mr Reilly took over.

10. Pat says:

You have got to be kidding. This show was so intriguing and once again TNT cancel what I felt was a good show. I am worried that they will cancel Rizzoli & Isles.

11. jax says:

hoping murder in the first doesn’t get cancelled, too. i thought this season was great.

• Rachel says:

Me too, fingers crossed!

• Julie says:

Love Murder in the First! I hope it comes back. I used to hate Kathleen Robertson’s awful acting when she was on 90210 years ago but now she’s either taken some acting classes or the writing is just that good and makes her look that much better.

12. Lou Stimson says:

I loved the show and the people who starred in it. We all need a wakeup call for life after death.

13. g2-2a28070df14d0ab123e53c419a9e3487 says:

Well that blows. I enjoyed this show. Great cast.

14. Rayna says:

I really liked this show. I guess advertisers don’t need to sell things to older people.

15. Nichole says:

I loved Proof too.

16. Marci says:

I’m very sorry to read that Proof has been canceled. I really enjoyed it.

17. Tony says:

TNT always cancels good shows and lets garbage like last ship continue. Dummies!

18. Carol C says:

I’m sorry because I really liked this show.

19. Pamela says:

Looks like tnt should have renewed perception hmph!

20. Danielle says:

I really enjoyed that show :-(

21. Damn. It was one of my favorite shows this past year. I thought it was very well done, had a great cast, and was very interesting. :( I feel like they always get rid of the good shows on TV! Lots of reality TV, but a show that makes you think gets cancelled. Ugh.

22. TrudiV says:

Well that’s a shame. I liked the show.

23. the girl says:

Great show, lots of potential, and really made me think. There isn’t a lot of TV that does that nowadays. I’m disappointed, and I’ll miss it.

24. Temperance says:

Beals was great, but a lousy premise. It had no legs.

25. I just KNEW this show likely didnt stand a chance. Didnt stop me from watching because I really enjoyed it. I was also looking forward to seeing where the dynamic between Matthew and Jennifer’s characters, especially after how the finale played out. This disappoints me greatly.

26. Bobby says:

That was an incredible television show. Of course they’d cancel, it doesn’t have a Kardashian or a dragon in it.

27. Ann says:

Aww. That’s a shame. This was a good show and positive and inspirational. We need more shows like in on tv. I hope another network picks it up, like Hallmark Mysteries and Movies…

28. Yoko says:

TNT just keeps making bad decisions on what to cut and what to keep. They are losing my viewership as I don’t want to get interested in a show to just have it cancelled when I get hooked. Whoever is making these decisions needs to be fired….and soon!

29. Ethel says:

Not too disappointed. I could not find myself liking any of the major characters. I only watched thinning Kyra Sedgewick was in it and when I never saw her….meh!

30. Perception of Proof says:

:( What a bummer. I loved this show and thought the premise was interesting. I also loved Perception.
    Other than Major Crimes, there’s not much left on TNT to get excited about. Rizzoli used to be fun, but now they don’t seem to have any interesting ideas as to where to go with leads. Yawn.

31. JoeJoe says:

They,cancel it, because it actually shines light on death and the world want people to stay afraid.

32. Eran says:

Disappointed but not in the slightest bit surprised, I’m afraid. Something about the storytelling pace was off from day one and only just began to find its footing in the last episode, but clearly too little, too late. They could not decide for the life of them what to do with Callum Blue’s character which was painstakingly obvious, and the surviving sibling too which they could have focused a lot more on, instead of wasting valuable storytelling time on B stories I for one could not possibly have cared less about (the arranged marriage storyline for one.)

A shame, all in all, as the cast was very solid and it could have found its way but ultimately, I do understand why the plug was pulled.

33. Tony Phoon says:

utterly disappointing a decision! It was a great show with a terrific cast! bring it back!

34. Debbie Martin says:

Another reason to stop watching TNT. Wonderful mind provoking show with great cast. Love Jennifer Beals. Somebody else needs to pick up this show.

35. Linda Diver says:

SO many people are SO upset about Proof being cancelled. WISH you, whoever is responsible would reconsider. The show must have been poorly advertised because so many people I told about it never heard of Proof BUT the ones that watched it LOVED It.

36. jim says:

I hate to see shows that I really like get cancelled. Proof was an ‘ edgy ‘ series. I will miss it !

37. Marti says:

The best show I’ve seen in a long time why don’t you bring it back on

38. Angry says:

Loved Proof. Very angry and I don’t think I’ll ever watch anything on TNT again.

39. Denise Lane says:

This was great show. Why are you canceling it????

40. Lenda Flowers says:

Man. ..didn’t even know about the show. Just binges watched it. The shows Needed more press. This sucks. It should come to ABC or Fox…They know how to advertise!!!

41. debbie says:

That’s not cool. Proof was a good watch. They always take off the good ones

42. Karen Clift says:

Please bring back proof, It was my favorite show….Please,please,please…

43. Tom Sorrenti says:

Excellent show amazing the junk shows that continue and a quality show gets cancelled amazing hopefully another network will have the good judgement to pick it up well acted well directed interesting subject matter