Mindy Project Birth Baby Season 4

The Mindy Project Recap: Baby Castellano Makes His Debut

It’s a big week for the New York City subway system: First pizza rat trends on Twitter, then Leo Castellano makes his grand entrance (or starts to, at least) on a downtown 2 train.

Yep, Mindy gives birth in this week’s Mindy Project, which finds the very pregnant Dr. Lahiri caught in a NY transit tunnel just as her water breaks. Don’t worry: The Deslaurier midwives, plus a very unhelpful Morgan, are there to coach her through the process. But will Danny arrive in time? Read on as we review the action in “C Is for Coward.”

CLASH OF THE OB/GYNS | After an intro that reveals Danny’s aversion to having sex with his full-term fianceé (“I don’t want my special guy so close to my special guy”), we find out that Drs. L and C have — shocker! — opposing views on how a birth should go down. She’s opting for a C-section and drugged oblivion at a posh birthing suite. He’d prefer a natural birth, with mom and baby wide awake and fully aware of everything that’s happening.

After consulting with the hilariously granola-crunchy midwives, who have a new book about “Paleo Birth” (heh), Danny tries to trick Mindy’s body into going into labor by plying her with a mix of spicy foods, red wine, massage and sex. It’s all going according to plan until Mindy finds the book and shuts it all down. (And here’s where, even though I know this is a comedy and I should just go along with it, I wonder at everyone’s motives: Is Danny truly that bullheaded to believe that his lady — an OB herself — isn’t informed and empowered enough to decide the best way for her to go through labor and delivery? And is Mindy really convinced that being conked out for the whole shebang is beneficial for everyone involved?)

TUNNEL VISION | The next morning, Mindy, Morgan, Tamra and Beverly are on their way to a fertility expo when their subway train runs into trouble and gets trapped in a tunnel underground. Of course, Brendan and Duncan are also on board… which is good, because Mindy’s water breaks in the middle of the car.

At the same time, Jeremy points out to Danny that Mindy’s only choosing to be knocked out for the birth because she’s so afraid. And Danny realizes the Brit is right — just as Morgan texts him to let him know that his son is about to be born. So Danny does one of his usual Castellano runs through the city — and into a darkened subway tunnel, which, shudder — to make it to the car in time to reassure Mindy that she can do anything because she’s a “stone cold bitch” who’s even tougher than Ma.Mindy Project Baby Birth

Next thing we know, Mindy, Danny and their son are tucked up in a hospital room, with both parents gazing adoringly at the infant. (Side note: Cheeks for weeks on that kid! Delicious.) “He’s definitely the best thing I ever cooked,” she says, a huge smile on her face. They name him Leo, and then Morgan comes in and is a big goofball and all is right with the world.

Thoughts on Mindy’s big birth episode? Sound off in the comments!

1. Matt C. says:

I liked this episode even more than the premiere. It was so great seeing ALL the characters back together. The birthing scene and the ending with Danny, Mindy and Leo were so perfect.

2. CC says:

I was going to watch but apparently you need Hulu Plus :( Does anyone know if they’ll have the episode available for non-subscribers next week like broadcast shows?

• Ashleigh says:

It seems like they’re offering a free month of Hulu Plus. Or, at least, they were last week. Idk if the episode is available a week later, but you could probably check to see if their other originals, such as Difficult People, which aired its last episode of the season last week, are.

• Aurora says:

If only there were a way for you to WATCH this SERIES. TO see it would be grand indeed.

3. robandco says:

The Mindy Project is great once again. I think it really lost its good vibe halfway during season 2 and during season 3 in which only a handful of episodes were good IMO. But this season is starting to feel really good. I don’t know what Hulu is feeding the writers but they should keep doing it.

• S. says:

Huh? It started off pretty good but has been getting better as the run goes on. They were trying things out and getting more consistent if anything. No loss of “vibe” at all. Several good episodes. I know you said “IMO” but it really does seem to be a minority opinion, and they were getting all kinds of positive comments from critics and fans in S2 and S3. It’s not like New Girl was getting tons of viewers in comparison. At least we can all agree on S4. Reviews are better now than they’ve ever been, and fan noise is louder than ever. Plus check out Mindy at the Creative Arts Emmys. Looked a-mazing. Congrats to Sal Perez on his nomination!

• robandco says:

Oh yes I know it’s not a very common opinion. The show has been praised since day one, very underrated (I mean the ratings were abysmal…). I guess I was a bit put off by all the casting changes in season 2 and Danny being somewhat a real jerk while being the best human being on the planet in season 3. I don’t know what happened but I’m glad to back on tracks now!

4. thisismenow says:

So far love the season, not liking Hulu Plus. I don’t care about the ads, but everything I stream on it glitches up. Don’t have that issue with Netflix or Amazon and I have a decent high speed connection. But I’ll tough through it for the next few months since I only use it for Mindy and South Park (since the wife doesn’t like knowing there is South Park on the DVR) lol Happy wife, happy life.

5. Tina says:

I personally loved when Morgan admitted he’s the reason Mindy ended up preggers lol. This show never stops being funny. I love it. <3

6. rachelle says:

I love this show sooooo much! It cracks me up and touches my heart. This episode was no exception. I’m so excited about Baby Leo’s arrival. What a cutie! And Mindy and Danny are just too freaking adorable. I’m not religious, but I will forget thank the TV gods for allowing TMP to live!

7. Liz says:

“He looks Latin, you know what that mean…he’ll clean up after himself” That line had me in tears. (Not offended as a Latina either)

8. Stanislava says:

I absolutely LOVE this show!Morgan and Beverly make me laugh like no one else <3

9. A fan of TV says:

My earlier fears that I wouldn’t get to see this season in Canada are unfounded, I can watch online on City TV’s website and on TV if I had one. And I’m so glad, because it’s as if the show never got quasi-cancelled in the first place. Too bad the production company can’t get syndication if they’re still broadcasting a show outside the US.

10. MyFairLady says:

Not a fan of pregnancy or baby storylines so I will let the episodes pile up until mid season break then I can binge & skip at will.

11. Joey Padron says:

New episode was good, funny, and sweet. Glad Mindy’s delivery went well. Mindy and Danny’s baby is so cute. Like his name Leo.

12. Hope says:

thanks for the spoilery-ass title, geez…

13. Katie Bieker says:

Loved it, but Morgan was a bit too much… could have maybe not been in quite so many shots, maybe kept his mouth closed… But otherwise, great episode, so sweet!