Gotham Season 2 Recap

Gotham Season 2 Premiere Recap: Will You Be Chillin' With All the Villains?

You couldn’t swing a dead Catwoman without hitting one of Fox’s “Rise of the Villains” promos for Gotham this summer. Now that you have gotten a first look at what this bigger, badder world actually looks like, will you tune back in next week — same batty time, same batty channel?

The premiere, if only for a brief minute, picked up right where the finale left off, with (a taller) Bruce descending the discovered staircase into a… cave… where he found a door protected by a keypad lock. Bat-Drat!

We then jump ahead a month, where a sober Harvey Bullock has traded his badge for a barkeep gig and traffic cop Jim Gordon is being accosted by a cheaply costumed loon who dubs himself “Zaardon, the soul reaper.” In the course of fending off the crackpot, Jim shoves a slacker colleague of his, an action which gives Commissioner Hildegard Loeb Gotham-Penguin-Jimcause to take his badge. Later, Jim indicates to Lee that he may have a not-legal avenue by which to reclaim his job….

Thus, Jim pays a visit to Penguin, who happens to be having trouble with a debtor named Ogden. Penguin astutely deduces Jim’s desire — to get his job back, and have Loeb gone — but in trade, as a sign of “equity” in their friendship, he wants the fallen cop to lean on his welcher. Jim at first declines the arrangement, but then receives counsel to the contrary from, of all people, Bruce Wayne (“You’re dirty, what have you been up to?”), who suggests that sometimes the “right” way is the “ugly” way, Gotham-Jim-Alfred-Brucethat Jim is letting his dignity get in the way of a greater good.

After that exchange, we see Jim pay a visit to Ogden, overpower the gangster’s goons, grab the owed cash and then get caught up in a parking garage shootout, fatally felling Ogden in the end. Afterward, Penguin promises to make good on his end of the deal, and he does, by popping up in Loeb’s kitchen late at night with a trigger-happy Victor Zsasz. All paving the way for Commissioner Essen!

Jim meanwhile is hanging at Lee’s when who rings his phone but Barbara, from inside Arkham. Jim cuts short the chat with his off-kilter ex, pulling a Beckett (a joke you’ll understand in an hour) and claiming to Lee it was just a telemarketer. Babs immediately calls Lee next and leaves a message on her “girlfriend’s’ machine, expressing a wish that she “die screaming, bitch” — which funnily enough is how my telemarketer calls usually end.Gotham_Season2_Barbara

Barbara’s Arkham stint is likewise cut short when “Zaardon” joins her, Jerome et al behind bars, only to keel over and bellow from his belly a knockout gas born of a potion given to him earlier by billionaire entrepreneur/scientist/Chamber of Commerce bigwig Theo Galavan (played by James Frain). Theo’s sister Tabitha aka Tigress (Jessica Lucas) then storms the clink to collect the half-dozen convicts. They later come to inside Theo’s swank digs, where they learn of their host/rescuer’s plan for a united team of brilliant baddies. The group’s self-appointed leader, Richard, asks out of the scheme, and is thusly excused, permanently, at the hand of wild child Tabitha’s whip and blade.

Meanwhile, beneath Wayne Manor…. With Alfred’s expertise, Bruce has blasted open the door to his father’s secret room, inside of which they find a desk and some computers. There’s a note waiting for Bruce, whose name by the way was the keypad code. (D’oh!) The gist of Dad’s post mortem message to his lad? “You can’t have both happiness and the truth. You have to choose,” Thomas wrote, imploring Bruce to “choose happiness… unless you feel a calling. A true calling.” Which obviously is a reference to the Eliza Dushku series (still airing on the MIA Network). Or to Bruce’s fate as Batman.

Probably the latter.

1. Kreigler says:

It was just an average episode. I was sorely disappointed in the season premiere as I expected more than what we got, especially after the first season.

2. Mr. Tran K says:

Who dig crazy chicks like Barbara Keane?

3. BarryFlash says:

I didn’t like Gordon in this one.

4. I thought it was a great episode. I am LOVING Psycho Barbara!

5. Drew says:

I thought this was a great setup for the new season. Jim is playing with fire… Okay, he’s more than playing. He’s burning a few houses. How far will he go? Bruce is still a very compelling character. It could be super corny, since he’s just a kid, but David Mazouz is killing it. All of the villains are still fun to watch, but special mention has to go to Barbara who is just guano crazy, and really good at it. A nice contrast to last year where she really had nothing to do but hang out in her apartment.
    I was trying to figure out how *the* Barbara Gordon comes along from all of this. I wonder what would happen if crazy Barbara got pregnant and had a kid that was going to be tossed into the system. Would Jim step up and adopt the daughter of his psycho ex? And could the weight of what her mother was drive Barbara to become a hero? Could work.

6. JM says:

Yes, Gordon compromised himself, but really, would we love him so much if he were perfect? Not too crazy about Theo and Tigress so far. Still love the baddies from last season (Penguin, Riddler, Joker, even Barbara now that she’s deranged). I missed Harvey though–hope he doesn’t disappear this season!

7. Matthew says:

I hated watched all of last season. I really wanted to like the show. I have tonight a shot since I thought a large part of the problem was the fish mooney situation that has been rectified. However the other huge part of the problem remains. Young Bruce Wayne. He is terrible. Totally uncompelling and a chore to watch. The show drags when that kid is on screen. Give me all the villains and Gordon and this show would be great.

8. Babygate says:

The episode was just ok. There was nothing exciting about it. While I think that the villains are intriguing and more interesting than last season, what the show is lacking for me is a good hero. I love Bruce and Alfred, but he won’t be Batman anytime soon. And the only good guy, is in my opinion, the least interesting character of the whole show. I didn’t like him last season either but after this episode I like him even less. So, I just feel like the show is out of balance. Theres no good/evil tension because everybody is corrupt. I’m not sure I’ll keep watching.

9. mskrislarsen says:

Bummed that they offed Sionis. I’m going to miss Todd Stashwick in that role; he’s a great villain.

10. Joey Padron says:

Season premiere was good. Glad Gordon got his old job back. Glad Loeb is retiring I didn’t like him. pyscho Barbara is fun to watch. It was interesting to see Bullock doing much better as bartender then as a cop. Can’t wait for next new episode!

11. I literally groaned when we found out the passcode (seriously, you didn’t check your own name? Some detective you’re turning out to be, kid!), but other than that I really enjoyed everything else. Theo, and especially Tabitha, has got me excited for the new season!

12. Ian Barber says:

I really liked the premiere! The “Rise of the villains” premise has me very intrigued. I’m surprised that they got rid of Loeb so easily (the character usually fares MUCH worse in various Batman lore than he did here). And I actually enjoyed Barbara! I despised the character last season, but she was really fun in this episode! I love Jerome too, and hope that they don’t end up killing him off in a “Surprise, he really isn’t the Joker” moment!

13. Patty Stamps says:

Matt, I need your help. Am I supposed to like Lee? Is her character supposed to be so freaking weird and off kilter? Is there supposed to be chemistry between her and Jim? I just can’t seem to wrap my head around it.

14. Jerry says: