Emmys
Emmys Ratings 2015

Ratings: Emmys Drop 16 Percent in Demo, Draw Smallest Audience Ever

Fox’s broadcast of the 67th Primetime Emmy Awards on Sunday night delivered an 8.7/14 household rating/share in metered markets, down 20 percent from last year’s ceremony, which aired on a Monday on NBC.

Compared to the Emmys’ most recent Sunday showcase (CBS, 2013), Fox’s Andy Samberg-hosted telecast — which aired opposite NBC Sunday Night Football‘s second-best Week 2 match-up ever (16.3/27 overnight) — was down 28 percent.

UPDATE: Per finals, the Emmys drew 11.9 million total viewers and a 3.6 demo rating, down 24 and 16 percent from last year’s numbers and just landing beneath the kudoscast’s smallest audience ever (12.2 mil, in the 2008 ceremony hosted by the reality-TV peeps). Sunday Night Football did 23 mil and a 9.5, per fast nationals.

TVLine readers gave Samberg an average grade of “B-” as host.

1. dj says:

Maybe people are tired of elitists using this forum for their political snarking

2. Andrea says:

Does that really surprise anyone? Unless you watch a bunch of cable or non-broadcast fare, many shows are never nominated. I was happy for Viola Davis, Regina King, and Allison Janney, but all I needed to do was skim TVLine’s list. I knew going in that I wasn’t going to care about a majority of the awards because I don’t watch those shows, so football was a very easy choice for me.

3. Al says:

As much I enjoy cable shows, they are no as viewed as broadcast (with the exception of GOT and TWD) most shows like Mad Men or Veep only watched by 1-2 million people..
    I mean did anyone know about Oliver Kitridge before last night ?

• Curiousabout says:

Yes I agree never heard of that Kittredge movie. There is great acting on broadcast tv that was over looked. Why?

• c-mo says:

Because network tv is not “cool” since you can’t curse and/or be completely naked so those shows are never nominated anymore regardless of their quality. Meryl Streep could give the performance of her life on a weekly basis but if her show’s not on cable she’ll be ignored.

• abz says:

I used to want a separation of cable and network, but as I’ve exposed myself to more television over the years, I realized that network shows are just not stepping up their game. Compared to cable shows, many network shows are just not cutting it in my opinion in terms of their writing and plot and creativity. If a network show is good and does a great job in writing and acting, etc., they will clearly be nominated. Look at the nominations for The Good Wife each year, Taraji P. Henson, Viola Davis, all the nominations for Parks and Recreation, Mayim Bialik, Allison Janney for Mom, etc. When a network show is good and the acting can compete with what is on cable it will have a better chance of nomination.

• wrstlgirl says:

I watched Olive Kitteridge and it is very very good. I highly recommend it.

4. kmw says:

It doesn’t surprise me that they are down. I do not watch hardly any of the shows nominated and I had no reason to watch. However it was nice that Viola Davis won and Tracy Morgan coming out to present last award was terrific but those were the exceptions. The football game was more exciting to watch.

5. Mr. Tran K says:

This year’s Emmy awards was OK in my opinion and Andy Samberg did a good job as host and history was made where Jon Hamm finally won an Emmy, Viola Davis becomes the first black woman to win Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series, Veep ends Modern Family’s streak for Outstanding Comedy Series and Game of Thrones rule the night with 12 including Outstanding Drama Series. BTW, is ABC going to aired next year’s Emmy awards?

• Anonymous says:

Let me guess,next year will be the same nominees, mostly from cable and streaming shows.Broadcasts shows are dead at Emmys.End of an era for nominees from broadcast shows.
      Americans loves cable and streamings shows.

• Curiousabout says:

America doesn’t the industry does. They want the average Joe or Joann to pay more for their crap. Greedy buzzards

• Jane says:

Only old people who are stuck in their ways prefer broadcast tv. The younger generation prefers to stream. Broadcast tv isn’t just dying at the emmys it’s dying period

• Curiousabout says:

I have netflix and can afford any form of pay streaming however the content is not that much better if not sub par to broadcast tv. Just because u pay for something means it has value or quality.

6. johnhelvete says:

Dont really buy the argument that viewers dont watch the Emmys because they have not watched most of the shows. I am sure that is a small part of it for some people but the Emmys being a boring, 3 hour show, probably has a lot more to do with declining ratings.

7. Drew says:

I am a huge TV fan (which a lot of people here probably already know). I watch a ton of TV. I comment on a lot of TV. I even work on TV sometimes. That said, I can’t stand award shows. They don’t award creativity or talent. The best shows never get nominated, and the shows that do get nominations and awards usually boggle the mind. I usually look at the list of winners and wonder what the voters were thinking. A lot of the time, it can come down to politics. Other times… Who knows?
    Award shows are crap. TV is more fun when you ignore the awards and just watch and discuss the shows with real viewers.

• Brigid says:

THANK YOU! I haven’t watched an award show of any kind in 15 or 20 years. How does one keep winning as the same character over and over again and some brilliant nobody comes on and gives the performance of a lifetime and can’t get a win? It truly makes you understand that this is not an award for a job well done but a popularity contest voted on by people who don’t watch. 100% agree with you!

8. Curiousabout says:

The categories are all screwed up. Broadcast tv shows that do 20 some shows a year should not be compared to cable shows only doing 12.
    Amazon pay on the Internet is not a TV station. Internet Pay shows should be up against other pay Internet shows.
    Most shows that won u have to pay extra to watch screw that noise. HBO SHOWTIME ETC is not worth it.

• Jane says:

Get with the times I bet you still read newspapers

• abz says:

Shows like The Good Wife are proof that a 22 episodes show per season can compete with the very best.
      Also, isn’t it the broadcast network’s choice to do 20 something episodes each year? They clearly can change their formats as evidenced by how both How To Get Away With Murder, Empire, Scream Queens, etc., have decided to do shorter seasons.

9. Curiousabout says:

The industry is trying 2 hard to make people pay for content. Good luck people will do without.

10. Emor says:

So what I am reading here, (like books), is that people want the Cable Ace Awards back, (yeah i’m old!) The Emmys are just for BROADCAST tv, (that no one actually watches free via antenna) and we now need a third show for Streaming content, (we will call it the “Streamies”). I say be like ‘Drew’, award shows are meaningless and just enjoy tv and discuss it with all our friends here at Tv Line. (And how the HELL did Gilmore Girls never get nominated for best show……Sorry, that just slipped out.)

• Drew says:

I have an old Emmy submission tape for Buffy The Vampire Slayer, never opened. The reason why awards are given to snotty boring shows is because they’re the only ones that the voters even look at. It’s all a sham.

But sadly, a sham without yams. It’s a yamless sham.

• Brigid says:

LOL!!!!! BTVS is one of the best shows ever. Even TV Guide has it in the top 50 shows of all time. TOP 50…OF ALL TIME! It’s a turvy-topsy world!

• Jane says:

It’ll never happen people just need to get with the times and accept cable/streaming has better shows than broadcast tv. Why don’t they try to seek out one of those shows instead of whining the stuff they watch never gets anything

11. Temperance says:

You can only be so out of touch with the times for so long before younger people never start watching – ad clue in to the abjectly political (not merit) basis of the awards.

• Jane says:

A lot of people commenting here are pretty out of touch with times as well. I mean it’s 2015 and you people don’t know how to check out shows not on network tv? Do you guys know how cheap Netflix is and do you know Netflix will soon be in more homes than cable. People here seem to think young people still flip through 3 channels.

• Curiousabout says:

I read the #1 show on netflix was THE BLACKLIST not OITNB or the other crap put out by netflix. Where was the nominations for the Blacklist?James Spader is the best actor on TV yet he was ignored pathetic.

• Whatevah says:

Do you work for Netflix?

• Seriously? says:

Wow, a shill for Netflix–and a pretty obvious one at that–are you being paid by the post??

• Citygirl says:

Hey Jane: Get off your high horse. MANY people do not have Netflix. Just because YOU have it doesn’t mean everyone does. A lot of us have lives and Netflix is not part of those lives. Feel sorry for you. BTW – how much is Netflix paying you to shill their services?

12. HAP says:

The ratings drop has nothing to do with cable or streaming shows. Simple fact is that Fox should have followed the lead of NBC last year and not scheduled this surrounded by football. Because of football, they had no real red carpet show, and because of football on opposite the show, they probably lost million of viewers that would have watched if there was no football.

13. LAwoman says:

I was happy to see Tracy Morgan. And two of my favorites shows, Game of Thrones and Veep, won awards so I mostly enjoyed it.

14. Sharron says:

We thought the show was basically terrible, Andy Sambergs jokes not particularly funny. Some of the presenters acted extremely bored, like John Stamos who obviously did not want to be there!

15. Jojo says:

The only reason the ratings were down was the fact that walking dead got zero noms. Emmys lost millions of viewers because of that. It had nothing to do with football.

16. JJ says:

Everything on tv over the past year is down 10 to 20% across the board. Millions are dropping it entirely to use streaming instead. It has nothing to do with football or walking dead. Broadcast/Cable tv is ancient at this point, and for many people today, completely unnecessary.