Castle Season 8 Beckett Missing

Castle Premiere Recap: Gone Girl

If you went into Monday’s Castle Season 8 premiere cold/spoiler-free, I’m especially curious how you responded to its unique structure, told as it was solely from the point of view of Rick as he scrambles to process/solve Kate’s sudden disappearance.

The hour started off pleasantly enough, with Rick gifting newly named Captain Beckett with a bit of confection, inside of which was a bracelet engraved with, of course, “Always.”

Soon enough, however, the bauble would come to serve an ominous purpose.

After Kate shrugs off a call from (she claims) a telemarketer, she dashes off to (she claims) 1PP, for a meeting with also-promoted Deputy Chief Gates. Rick, now back working as a P.I., in turn swings by his office, only to learn that Alexis has been taking (and solving) cases for him, ever since her happenstance run-in with a potential client. Alexis gives her dad the 10-cent tour of the office reno, including a tricked-out safe room and a desktop gizmo that spits out a gun (belonging to Chekhov or otherwise).

It is only when Rick gets a casual phone call from RySpo, who can’t seem to reach Beckett, that he begins to get a sense that something is amiss. Especially when the murder scene the boys are working at a theater reveals a pool of Beckett’s blood, with her shiny new bracelet floating in it.

Tracking one of the theater gunmen’s stolen credit cards, Castle & Co. meet Hayley Shipton, a disgraced British bobby who currently is investigating the theft of thousands of Social Security numbers to furnish fake IDs. She at first puts up an ice-cold front, but later shows up at Rick’s office to share the little she knows. That tidbit takes the two to a storage locker, inside of which is a none-too-small arsenal of next-gen weaponry. After Castle irks Hayley by breaking the rule of their tenuous alliance, by texting the cops, they get into a scrape with a female shooter, A.J., who escapes.

Alexis meanwhile looks into the possibility that the mysterious East Indian man Beckett was seen with during an emergency triage session at a dry cleaner is diabetic. That leads her to the ambulance from which Kate stole some insulin, before hopping into a cab to go see… imprisoned William Bracken.

After giving Hayley the Reader’s Digest version of the Beckett/Bracken mythology, Castle-BrackenRick visits the incarcerated politico himself, only to be taunted with the suggestion that he doesn’t know his own wife, that Kate’s obsession with the conspiracy that killed her mother won’t ever die.

On his way out, Castle is apprehended by A.J., drugged and lobbed into a van. At their  destination, Rick is bound to a chair and tortured by A.J.’s partner, Brooks, with spiders, to divulge what he knows about Kate’s recent activities — which is, of course, nada. Castle eventually hulks out and breaks free of his zipties, and a chase ensues. The pair of baddies are about to put Rick down when shots ring out from around a corner, wounding A.J. and scaring off Brooks. Kate, it turns out, was the shooter, though all she can/will say to Rick before eluding the arriving police is “I love you,” punctuated by a warm kiss.

Back at the 12th, the boys get a positive ID on the man Beckett is with — Vikram Singh, an analyst from the same Attorney General’s office in D.C. where Kate once worked. And Kate’s onetime partner, Rachel McCord, can offer no intel on the strange sitch, since she and the rest of their team have been executed in recent days.

Rick and the boys lean on A.J. to play “CYA” and help them out, but she counters that she will be in worse shape if she says a word. In fact, after warning that hers wasn’t the only team after Beckett, A.J. proceeds to attempt to escape custody, essentially sacrificing her life then and there in an extended shootout. Meanwhile, we see Kate (and presumably Vikram) holed up in an abandoned building somewhere, as a pair of SUVs loaded with well-armed baddies pull up to the curb outside….

What did you think of the Season 8 premiere, Part 1?

1. leigh says:

That was awesome! Holy crap!

• CM says:

That was horrible. Really crap!

Didn’t finish it.

• Kristine says:

I didn’t care for it either.

• Liz says:

Good for you! I’m glad you’ve learned how the remote works. It’s a life skill that some just don’t get

• Kristine says:

I didn’t know I wasn’t going to care for it UNTIL I watched it. Duh. I like Castle – just not this episode. Geez.

• Jennifer says:

I was about to write the same thing Liz, no one is forcing them to watch the show.

• jess says:

@liz If you keep saying this to the people who watch the show, you will have no show to watch in a year.

• Just one thing says:

But she will blissfully unaware of their mean, ol negativity. And that’s really all that matters in the end, right?

• Liz says:

Except they didn’t watch the show. I was really responding to the first person who didn’t finis it. And then came here for the express purpose of telling us how awful it was. Look I get that people have a right not to like something I do. They can also express that opinion in any forum they want. But the overwhelming negativity gets tiring. It’s like nothing is good enough for anyone unless they somehow get exactly what they want

• Just one thing says:

Again, Positive Polly Rules make no sense: If you start a new Castle episode and don’t like it, you can only go online to talk about it if you watch the WHOLE episode (and eat your veggies!).
            Meanwhile, many other viewers, who don’t bother to post a thing online, are simply changing the channel without explanation.

• rowan77 says:

I agree. A good start to the new season.

• John says:

The worst Castle episodes were those involved with his disappearance and the resulting “explanation”. This seems to be a rival for that title.

2. Daya says:

HUGE arachnophobe. That scene ensures I will never watch the show again.

Also, I am SO over the “one half of the couple has a deadly secret that they can’t tell the other”. Bones already did that storyline with Pelant and it wasn’t all that much fun there, either.

• Jon says:

Really? One scene with a spider and you won’t ever watch the show again? Grow up

• Daya says:

Wow, you weren’t watching, were you? It was an ENTIRE BAG OF SPIDERS over Castle’s head!

Since you’re telling me to grow up, I’m guessing you don’t have arachnophobia. Come talk to me when you’ve had a brown recluse bite you and the doctors are talking about cutting off your leg, m’kay?

• Ashlyn says:

Spider bite or not, if you’re not watching a show because of a bag of spiders, you really should grow up. Here’s the fun thing, IT ‘S TV!! I know right, crazy. The spiders are not actually going to hurt you, so being scared over a spider on the show is ridiculous.

• liame says:

It seems to me she thinks this season will focus on spiders “?”.

• KCC says:

How about a little compassion here. Phobias can be debilitating and telling someone to “grow up” won’t cure them any more then telling someone with the PTSD to “grow up” will cure them.

• Daya says:

SO many people don’t understand arachnophobia. I don’t make fun of them for their fears, yet everyone is over here telling me to grow up or deal with it. (eye roll)

• lkh says:

Well, I have stickamadidusphobia, more specifically plastybolsaphobia–rare in a non canine. Don’t tell me to grow up.

• shinyjoolie says:

You realize that a phobia isn’t rational, right? Yes, we know that being scared of the spider (on a TV or ANYWHERE else) isn’t rational. But we don’t have any control over that. We literally do not have any. control. over our reaction to a *phobia*. It’s physiological. You can’t just “grow up” and shed a lizard-brain reaction.

I won’t stop watching the entire series over a few scenes in one episode (how many times are they going to pull out a box of spiders? probably just this once), but it was viscerally terrifying for me and all I saw was the spiders crawling out of the box. I flipped my screen away while I screamed and didn’t watch until I could tell for sure they were gone (the ridiculous sound effects helped with that). I am having a hard time forgetting the image and I may have a hard time sleeping tonight.

It’s a *phobia*. It’s not *rational*. But it’s embedded in my limbic system. It’s an essential part of my brain that keeps me safe from real or perceived harm. It’s a leftover gift from the time when reacting to these dangers was an evolutionary advantage. It’s hard wired.

If you don’t understand it, fine. But refrain from belittling others over it. And seriously, it doesn’t harm you if that person never watches the show again. If you’re SO offended that someone else isn’t going to watch the show, I’m not sure you’re telling the right person to grow up.

• MissMel says:

It’s not that no one understands your phobia. The reason it sounds crazy to people is that you’re giving up on a show in it’s EIGHTH season because ONE episode had spiders in it. One episode in 6 years, 8 seasons and more episodes than I care to count right now contained spiders and there will probably never be another one.

• lkh says:

nope, another episode had a spider–the one that also had snakes-(human and animal)

• Daya says:

No, no one understands what it’s like to have a phobia unless one actually has it.

Plus, this is the internet…it’s far easier to make fun of someone for their fears to acknowledge their own, whatever they may be.

• Barbara says:

Daya I do agree with you that the scene with the spiders really grossed me out, I’m terrified of them and can’t stand looking at them even in make believe world. However, I just closed my eyes till it was over (so I wouldn’t have nightmares), and then loved the first episode sans spiders. I’m just hoping this secret “mission” of Beckett’s doesn’t go on for too many episodes because then it gets old. But I love the show, even have the theme as my ringtone!!

• Daya says:

(hugs) I liked the show before that…what a difference for those of us who knew Toks from The Neighbors! (I did close my eyes…I also squealed…like either of us could watch?!)

I’m also glad you agree that the “mission” can get old fast…I was SO angry when they did that sort of thing on Bones and it delayed their wedding!

I know they’re…showbiz spiders? (I assume there was a handler, like with Spider-Man) but that doesn’t make it any easier. *cringe*

• Mary says:

I have a big, big snakephobia, can´t watch them , hell, even the word “snake” gives me chills! However, I don´t stop watching a show because there´s ONE scene with them, for God´s sake! AND if I did and someone told to grow up I´d accept, BECAUSE I know that person would be right:)

• Daya says:

What about people who tell people with depression to “get over it” or “cheer up”? That’s the same thing as telling someone with a phobia to “grow up”–and neither fly with me.

• Mary says:

This goes to @Daya below, since I can´t reply directly: Sorry, but I can´t see how you can compare Depression (going over it or cheering up certainly don´t fit) with Phobia (something you can avoid by not looking at it)…

• C Dawg says:

Are you joking? If you see a spider in a room of your home do you ever return to that room?

Your reasoning for not watching the show anymore makes you seem pretty looney toons.

If you were joking I apologize but these are the type of people who raise children that have zero coping skills.

• John NYC says:

“That scene ensures I will never watch the show again.” One scene in over eight seasons and that’s it? Predictable repetitious elements of the show I could get, gunfire, the two leads touching each other etc., but a one off scene that will never ever come up again?

Well it’s not like the media is sort of other choices.

• Daya says:

The show has also gotten dull and the entire “one partner in trouble but can’t tell the other partner on pain of death” thing was just done by Bones a couple of seasons ago with Pelant. (But kudos to you for approaching it rationally!)

3. Sarah says:

An interesting start to the season under the new show runners; not sure how I feel about where this might be heading, but its definitely got my attention for next week.

Also, that spider scene was without a doubt the most cringeworthy scene I have ever seen on Castle, it had my skin crawling and I had to close my eyes.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

As I said on the Twitter, “OK, I might puke” may have also summed it up for the arachnophobes.

• John NYC says:

The previous drowning one with underwater close ups had it beat for shear torture. Yeah, okay maybe only for some who’ve actually met tarantulas and found out they’re really pretty calm little things. And those were in the small side.

• CastleBuzz says:

OK, spiders may be a bit creepy especially when they crawling on you, but come on, tarantulas. People have them as pets and they’re harmless. The scene was tame and lame. Now if the bad guy used something poisonous like black widow spiders…

• Andrea says:

So, you’re expecting spiders every episode? Jeeze. I was so freaked I actually had to turn away! But, I’ll be back next week! This was a high energy ep. LOVED IT

4. Liz says:

I haven’t been that on the edge of my seat for a castle episode in years. Great kickoff to the new season! Can’t wait to see what comes next!

5. Brad says:

Sigh more lies again

• veronica says:

they go back and forth with the lying at least—they’re kind of even, so I don’t think either can or should be mad.

• ndixit says:

I think the competition for the most lies is definitely tilted in Beckett’s favor. The only lie/secret I remember from Castle is the whole season 4 man in the dark thing.

• S8fan says:

You must have forgotten that Castle lied to Beckett about the whole spy father/Paris thing, even as they are engaged and said father is lying injured in their bed….

• Just one thing says:

He also flew across the world without telling her after Alexis disappeared. (Brave father!) Then he investigated her first FBI case behind her back, risking her job. (LOLZ)
            Then he went to Canada right after his disappearance – behind her back. (Brave man!) Then he hid his PI biz from her. (Double LOLZ)

• Brad says:

Lol yet they like making Beckett the bad guy

• ndixit says:

Well, given those lies lasted like 5 minutes in the episode and Castle confessed the truth pretty quickly, I’d say its still tilting pretty heavily on Beckett’s side. More importantly, Castle actually does tell the truth. Kate’s secrets usually get discovered and the fallout is pretty bad. Last time she kept a secret back in ‘Veritas’, she ended up a suspect in a murder investigation.

• Just one thing says:

You’re right. Katherine Houghton Beckett Castle is the devil incarnate. Rick deserves so much better, and I hope he finds it.

• Its a lie that was done for a good cause. Trying to protect the one you love shouldn’t be a crime. Especially after hearing that McCord and her team was all assanited just recently.

• ndixit says:

When is the last time anything good happened when Castle and Beckett lied about anything to each other? The answer is never. It has only resulted in fights and near break-ups.

• Brad says:

Since when the been partners for 7 years where was this whole hes only a writer he did save the world last season

• DarkDefender says:

Because in all likelihood, that “story” about him saving the world.. Is probably a lie to make sure he didn’t continue to dig into where he was for 2 months. I believe there is more to come with Castle’s disappearance and part if not all of that story will unravel.

• KCC says:

Except…by lying Beckett didn’t keep Castle any safer than if he knew the truth. He was abducted and tortured anyway. I guess at the end of next week’s episode they’ll promise once again not to lie to each other. Oh well, some people never learn.

• Brad says:

I doubt that there will be another lie

• lkh says:

How do you know it wouldn’t have been worse?

• KCC says:

Because the bad guys don’t know if he knows anything or not. They would treat him the same way. They’re trying to find out what he knows and even if he says he doesn’t know anything and is telling the truth about it, they didn’t believe him anyway. He was being tortured and would have been killed if he did escape, so I don’t see how it could have been worse. Whether Beckett tells him or not, he’s in the same danger by being married to her. The danger he’s exposed to has nothing to do with what he knows but by who he knows. By not telling him anything she’s keeping herself safer but not Castle.

• Tracey Marsh says:

After Castle gave away the location to that Mobster, Beckett knows his poker face only works with writers and not criminals. She was right not to tell him where she was or what she was doing. Can’t tell what you don’t know.

• lkh says:

you’re assuming everyone would have behaved the same way whether he knew or didn’t–maybe the bad guys would have, but would Castle–all could have happened with different timing, others involved, etc. Character is fate.

• lkh says:

this is in response to KCC above

• KCC says:

The only concerned is what the bad guys would do. They’re the people that are looking for Beckett and her husband is one source of potential information. Whether Castle stayed in his loft or goes about his everyday activities or is actively looking for Beckett, the bad guys would track him down. His activities might have given them a convenient opportunity to snatch him up, but they would have come for him anyway. They seem quite determined to get Beckett. Because he’s clueless of the potential danger, he would be easy to find. But it’s TV and whenever anyone is kept in dark for “their protection” you know there’s trouble in their future.

• CastleBuzz says:

There you go with the lies again. Ever think it’s not her choice? Assuming this escapade is linked to the murders of her former AG crew, the phone call was likely from someone in the AG’s office and may have included something about being classified. Remember, she wasn’t allowed to share cases with Castle when she worked in DC.

• DarkDefender says:

Agreed. The guy from the AG’s office, who I think will become Tori’s replacement, likely made that call to her.. Probably to warn her.
        Also, Castle’s disappearance on their wedding day seemed to not be his choice either. They both got some splainin’ to do.. And I look forward to seeing it play out.

• ndixit says:

How about, “listen Castle. I have work that is classified and I can’t share with you.” Sounds simple enough. I am pretty sure even cops are allowed to say that much to their spouses.

• CastleBuzz says:

Thank goodness you don’t write the episodes. That would be it for the story. Let see, two minutes for story, 58 for commercials.

• Jennifer says:

That would make Castle want to work the case even more. Telling him not to do something is like telling a child, he is going to do the complete oppisite of what he is told to do. As far as Beckett telling that lie she was most likely told to do so. She has always been respectfly of authority figures, hell she even said Sir to Bracken when someone was out to kill him and she was protecting him. Castle knew there were going to be pieces of her life that she can’t share and that is that.

• georgee says:

Yes you are so right with that. I felt it was a super job done by all the old players. The jury still out on Hayley, she was put in the cast for only one reason,hopefully that will never work out. But we had a bright spot when Hayley looked at Rick and said you really do love her (Kate) and he answered like a house on fire. I hope at the end of episode 2 the relationship between Rick and Kate is even stronger, after all it is the whole story.

6. Coco says:

That was actually a really good episode, I just hope the explanation behind all this won’t something ridiculous like last season. But they can’t do worse at least. My only problem was Alexis being a super detective better than everyone, it seemed really forced.

• CastleBuzz says:

I agree about Alexis. I wasn’t pleased to hear she was going to work in Castle’s PI office this season, but went into the ep with an open-mind. I figured she’d be brought in somewhat gradually during the case with some instructions. But this way — a full-blown investigator with medical knowledge and super-detective skills — did seem forced. Add to that a very non 22-year-old detective wardrobe and it just seemed silly.

• DarkDefender says:

I can suspend the disbelief for a super smart girl with some forensics exposure and computer skills doing well as a private investigator (on what really seems like minor cases). I mean she is Castle’s daughter after all.. And she can pick locks and knows the stuff he has done for research.mnot far fetched to think she learned some stuff along the way.
        What is harder to believe is a search for a missing, bleeding, Police Captain, with dead bodies piling up.. And letting that young girl walk into a crime scene/raid to hug her dad while everyone else is in raid gear and heavily armed.
        I do get that it was a plot device to have the relieved daughter finds her dad safe moment.. But they could have had that happen at the precinct once they hauled the Beckett look alike girl in for questioning.

• CastleBuzz says:

Agree. I thought the show runners said Alexis was going to be more grown up. They seemed to have wanted it both ways. Mature in dress and investigative skills and savvy, but a little girl again with her daddy. That’s why I was hoping for a slower, more gradual transformation. But as long as they don’t overdue it and overuse her, I’m OK.

• m3rcnate says:

Less believable is how she reacted after literally just seconds before she was hiding under a desk as an epic shootout took place inside a police station. I mean damn, she must have ice running through her veins to then 10 seconds later walk over, look at the body of the dead woman, and calmly ask “why dd she do it?” , get her Q answered then slowly walk away into a different room. Lol.

• DarkDefender says:

I can believe that too, m3rcnate. Castle pretty much tackled her to the floor and covered her while the shots were being fired. She worked with Lanie and has been around dead people and crime scenes. She is also just as curious as her father and has been drugged and kidnapped. That all changes a person. So I think she remained in character being curious, looking at the body and asking questions.

• georgee says:

Your right the episode was really, I do not know why we had to bring in Hayley to be her role model, When it should be her stepmother Kate

7. Lysh says:

That was intense and awesome. I love more Alexis and his new office. There was a lot of badass women this episode. And that bag of spiders thing was freaky. Mad props to Nathan for enduring that.

• CastleBuzz says:

Apparently the first few spiders put on his face and head were real, but the spiders in the bag were put in digitally after the fact. Probably had as much to do with animal safety as it did with human safety. :):)

8. christina says:

I LOVED it and am backing out of this post before the negativity sets in. Such an intense, well done episode and I am thrilled this show is back. Can’t wait until next Monday from Beckett’s POV!

9. MG says:

I’m a huge arachnophobe. How far into the episode is the spider scene & how long is the scene?

10. Joe says:

Loved it!!! Had a lot of energy the show has been lacking recently…new season has potential!!!

11. Luli says:

I loved the episode. Can we have more of this Alexis please? Loved her, loved Hayley and Alexis. Can’t wait for the second part.

The caskett scenes !!! :D

Also that shooting scene, great start on season 8.

12. Andrea says:

Holy crap!! So exciting! Great start to the new season!

13. Rie says:

Oh my goodness but I truly hated the episode. More secrets, been there done that. There was no lightness, no fun, and next week looks just as dark. I am so disappointed.

• John NYC says:

In part they had to paint around a Stana movie commitment.

• KCC says:

The 2-parters are typically darker and more intense. I expect they’ll follow up next week’s conclusion with a lighter episode.

• Vlad Matviets says:

To be fair, it was a single week she missed of filming. Besides, I really don’t get why people are complaining about “It’s so serious and dark!”. Like, hello? We’ve had serious and dark over the years, from 3XK to all the two-parters and Beckett’s mother. I think the only light-hearted premiere/finale have been the pilot, the season 1 finale, season 2 premiere and finale and season 3 premiere. Since then, they’ve all been serious!

We’ll get the usual light-heartedness from episode 3 onwards. It just seems so sad to see people abandoning the show because a single episode is dark, and not for the first time either.

• Kimmie says:

Wow, thought I was the only one who felt that way. I hated it. Lies are never ok. She could have contacted him, especially when she knows how she felt when he went missing. Light and charming is what makes Castle worth watching – zombies and superheros and banter between Ryan and Espo and everyone working together as a team. Sure, once in a while have a dark episode, but not multi-episode arcs – I find those so boring (don’t care who killed Kate’s mother – never did).

14. ndixit says:

The thing that really annoys me about Kate is that after 7 years she should know that keeping secrets from Castle is never a good idea. I understood her keeping secrets, big and small back in the early years. But at this point, when has keeping secrets not caused grief for both of them? It almost seems like a compulsive problem with her. At least they sort of address it a bit here. Anyways, its the reason I got turned off by the character at the end of season 5. Its my least liked aspect of the character and it has reared its head up again.

• Brad says:

Yup question is are we gonna have other incident like always where he walks away

• Theresa says:

Really you can not envision a reason Kate would not want to take the love of her life into a dangerous position? It is her responsibility to her dead partner. That tells her that it is very dangerous and Rick needs to be safe for Martha’s and Alexis’ sake. Remember Rick was gone for 2 months and it freaked Alexis out to no end. She would not be the reason for his disappearance again!

• ndixit says:

Yeah! That’s all very convenient. Her lie still almost got Castle killed. So it’s not as if her excuse for protecting Castle worked out so well.

• CastleBuzz says:

No, ndixit, her lie did not almost get Castle killed. His butting in did. Just like his inability to obey Ryan telling him to stay put — he just had to see what was behind the drape. Well, he got his just reward for that!

• CastleBuzz says:

Meant to include, why are we talking about her lying anyway? She gets a call and, yes, lies about who it’s from. What if it was the AG’s office telling her the call was classified and she had to “disappear?” Or what if it was threatening, telling her someone was being held and she shouldn’t tell anyone?

• Brad says:

Dosent mean he wouldn’t get captured there could of been moments he didn’t but in and got caught

• ndixit says:

Yeah, and him butting in is because Beckett didn’t tell him what she was into. SO either she’s an idiot because she thinks Castle won’t break heaven and hell to find her when she’s in trouble, or her lying got him into a near death situation. Which one works for you?

• Just one thing says:

The one where she’s the most evil idiot who’s ever evilly idioted.

• lkh says:

JOT–I gotta say, it’s hot, humid and I’m tired–but that made me laugh. Idiots do that :D

😈

• CastleBuzz says:

Yeah, JOT, that was funny. Ndixit, why don’t you make a list of all the lies, both sides, and tell us how often Beckett hurts Castle or almost gets him killed while his lies just roll off her back. Please, educate us. We need it. I say in the lie and consequence department, they’re pretty even. And most of the lies have fair reasons behind them, although I never understood why he lied about going to Paris. In any case, the lies are good for story telling and as plot devices. Give it a rest.

• Brad says:

Why are they even together if there never honest lol

• DarkDefender says:

You find me a couple who is 100% honest with each other ALL the time and I’ll criticize Castle and Beckett. In the meantime.. It is how real relationships play out…
            AND it is T e l e v i s i o n d r a m a .

• Annie says:

It could have easily been fixed with Castle getting a call but no one on the line (“I tried to call but events were moving so fast”) or Beckett calling and saying an issue has come up from her DC days and she will be unavailable for awhile. Something to indicate that she at least didn’t want to leave him completely in the dark and worrying about her.

The idea that you can’t keep someone safe by keeping someone in the dark has been beaten over the head with these two.

• DarkDefender says:

Where is the drama in that? We sit around for 43 minutes watching Castle play in his new office and no one knows what Kate is doing? Part of the construction of the episode was working around SK’s movie schedule. I can give them some slack for that. I thought it worked nicely and I am betting it will fit perfectly into what they have in store for us in XX.

• CastleBuzz says:

Thank you, DD. And I’m sticking with my theory that even her involvement is classified, thus her not telling him is NOT a lie. And, yet, I also believe that she left her new bracelet in her blood on purpose to let Castle and NYPD know she was there and involved with killing the three bad guys at the theater.

• DarkDefender says:

CB, I also thought the bracelet was left behind like a breadcrumb. I almost think Kate may have been tailing the last couple (Beckett lite and Spiderguy), which is how she was there so fast to save Castle. She knew he’d look for her and still was there to protect him.

• lkh says:

She left the bracelet so he would know…

• CastleBuzz says:

ndixit, you act as though only Beckett has told lies. Guess you look the other way when Castle lies to Beckett. Or …have you been turned off by his character since Season 4 when he told his whopper?

• ndixit says:

Her lies have been a lot bigger and have caused a heck of a lot more damage. Yes, Castle lied to her in season 4 and they ended up fighting and breaking up their partnership over it. Does that sound like a good thing to you? Beckett lies even when she doesn’t have any reason to. She lied at the end of season 5 without any reason to and it almost cost their relationship.

15. Lyn says:

I missed Martha. Other than that it was good.

16. Teri says:

Yikes, intense. Most intense ever. I am lost with the story, but that makes me want to see part 2 even more.

17. Hazel says:

That was absolutely horrible and a total snoozefest. They’ve ruined my favorite couple for garbage storylines that have weakened their chemistry together. Now I wish the show would’ve ended long time ago on a high point, actually now I kind of wish Caskett hadn’t gotten together because they’ve completely ruined them and their amazing chemistry.

18. Phoebe says:

It felt like I was watching a movie! I love high stakes Castle episodes. This was an awesome start to the season! Can’t wait for next week!

19. Lindsay O'Connor says:

Exceptional! Still trying to catch my break after 45-minutes! Cast did an amazing job and Stana Katic carried it although she was onscreen for only a short time! Kudos to everyone involved! It totally blew me away!

• frb says:

That how I was left feeling, That the essense of Katic was felt throughout although she was hardly in the episode.
      At first I thought the female operative had stolen the episode. Her acting was on the mark.
      She reminded me of Stana, she held her own in her scenes. Memorable.

Suddenly Stana sneaked in and took back the episode without saying a word.
      That last scene she gave us a sense foreboding and the eagerly awaited part II, XX.
      Until then I had only mildly enjoyed the episode and wondered why were we taken back to Castle PI and wondered about Alexis role. It did not make sense. Too forced. I was losing interest.

• CastleBuzz says:

Lindsay and frb, so true about Stana. What she can do with a few minutes onscreen, how she can make her presence felt throughout, is remarkable. It’s exactly what she did in Reckoning last season. After all the running around, after all of Castle’s anguished looks (I wish Nathan would learn that less is more), after all the shooting and noise, the single most dramatic moment is a simple shot of a sad, still Beckett at the window. I didn’t even need the bad guys to pile out of the SUVs to carry the ep into next week’s. Brilliant.

• frb says:

Yes, Reckoning, you are so right about how Stana did so much with so little. Just standing there, stunned. We felt her anguish in her body language as she slowly turned to Castle and the boys after saving her own life with a gory knifing..
        The she did it again when she entered The 12th still slightly dazed and being slowly brought back into her world when she hugged Lanie.
        It’s moments like these that has kept me coming back to the show again and again.
        But honestly, Stana is at her best when she has a strong actor to trade dialogue with or when she is seeking solace with Lanie and only needs Lanie to listen to what others cannot hear.
        Don’t get me started.
        If Stana leaves the show tomorrow I wouldn’t complain because she has given us a lot.
        This woman has all the makings of being a great actress, given the opportunity.
        I don’t care whether Nathan learns that less is more because I take comfort in the fact that I can depend on Stana to give me something satisfying in her scenes.

20. James D says:

Loved it. Great idea separating the two parter by point of view can’t wait to see what went down with Kate. Really enjoyed Hailey Toks did a really great job making her driven and badass while still showing some vulnerability should be a really interesting character to follow this season. So far so good. So happy it’s back. P.S. when is Castle going to get a gun, with all the crap he’s been through it might be a good idea I know carry laws are super strict in NYC but he is married to a Captain :)

21. DB says:

Well now we have another season of lies, doubts and secrets . we also are going to have a season of WTWT since now we know Castle is going be doubting her feelings for him and their relationship. TPTB will claim they didnt break up as no divorce just a seperation as they spend the whole season working on trying to get Caskett back to caskett. They just never learn.

22. Just one thing says:

First thoughts, pretty much in order of occurrence:
    * There’s gotta be an easier, more practical way to give your wife a fancy gift without making her dig into an enormous cupcake that NO ONE eats.
    * Suddenly Beckett’s old desk is a hot commodity, even though Detective Pig-Pen so easily inherited it after she went to D.C. #Continuity? #WhoNeedsContinuityonCastle?
    * The Rodgers/Castle/Beckett family really has a thing for deception all around, what with Alexis posing as P.I. Castle without telling him, and Castle hiding the biz from Beckett in the first place. Also, did Alexis drop to part-time at Columbia so she can avoid having to declare a major… or something?
    * Hayley Shipton comes off so very strong – like awkwardly. I’m sure it’ll even out and be less over-the-top with time, but for now… not feeling it. I want to feel it. Enjoyed Toks Olagundoye on “The Neighbors.” But not feeling Hayley. Definitely not feeling Hayley and Alexis. (I’m sure that’s a shocker.)
    * Perhaps this will be answered next week, but why was it so imperative that this all happen on Beckett’s first day? The EPs blew the surprise over the summer (which may have been a red herring, but still), so why couldn’t all of this drama have occurred after Beckett had been on the job for a month or so? Kinda taints her tenure. You know. If that matters. Maybe it doesn’t. After 6×23, nothing should really surprise me anymore, I guess.
    * Lots of telling, not showing. Screenwriting 101. Perhaps next week will be more showing, less telling. And sure, OK. Let’s blame that storytelling tactic on Katic’s filming schedule. Mmhmm.
    * I love hating Bracken. But I’m having a REALLY hard time understanding why they’re resurrecting that storyline after closing that door. Never understood why Marlowe and Amann entertained it last year. It was a compelling story for many years, and infused Beckett’s character. Added a lot of great drama. But it ended well. Why stretch it out?
    * Spider torture is stupid and inefficient. But apparently a great incentive to break out of industrial-strength zip ties.
    * Interesting choice to kill Rachel McCord, an otherwise throwaway character from a throwaway arc, to service this new story. I was really rooting Spy Daddy to bite the dust. Guess there may be an opportunity for him to come back if “Life in Pieces” doesn’t make it. Yaaaay.
    * Guess it’s about time they shot up the precinct.
    * Finally… I want to say, in jest, “If Beckett dies, we riot.” But I’m pretty sure KB has nearly exhausted all of her nine lives, so…

• John NYC says:

Spiders might do but I’m sorts sure Rick had a knife back there.

• Just one thing says:

Ohhhhhhhh. That’s good, because I was like, “Wut?”

• John NYC says:

They did some closeups of his hands back there and I got a glimpse of what looked like the light off a blade: so when he burst those heavy straps it made sense he’d been weakening them in those closeups… though I haven’t gone back and freeze framed it.

• Just one thing says:

No, I’ll take your word for it. Beckett freed herself from a metal hospital bed and cloth straps with nothing but her bloody fingers. If Castle (conveniently) had a knife, that’s all I need to know.

He’s probably started carrying nail clippers since ‘After the Storm’…:]

• CastleBuzz says:

A knife, if he had one — and what ruthless killer or two wouldn’t have frisked him for possible weapons — wouldn’t explain how he got out of the handcuffs….

• CastleBuzz says:

Someone else suggested elsewhere online that Castle used an edge of the handcuffs to cut the zip tides, not a knife. OK with that except…it takes a long time to cut through hard plastic and how did he get the cuffs off????
            As for Beckett freeing herself from gurney, she took hours to do it, not minutes…and we were shown how she loosened the nut of the strap and then picked apart the cloth fiber by fiber.

• Brad says:

This so agree and why can’t the bracken thing die its getting annoying and old

• CastleBuzz says:

Jot, agree with a lot of what you listed except I liked the cupcake gift — no woman wants practical in a moment like that. I wonder if Forensics found icing on it along with Kate’s blood. Funny about Beckett’s desk and Detective Pig-Pen. Excellent points about Alexis’s deception, the Hayley character, spider torture, and the timing of this ep ( I would have preferred it in a few weeks as well). I appreciate both throwbacks to Bracken and Kate’s AG job, and think the writers will wrap up why starting in ep 2.

• Annie says:

Great summary and I agree with all your points and add one. I don’t buy for a second that Alexis and Hayley had an instant connection. They are just pushing Alexis and Hayley too much and I find both of them too be very fastforwardable.

• Just one thing says:

I am SO with you in the Haylexis FF Dept. Lame.

• lkh says:

Wow, Castle has lost his place in the combo names…

• Just one thing says:

Ryspotle, Hastle, Caslexley. They all have potential.

• lkh says:

I’m still likin’ Caslexley. Poor Beckett, never makes the cut–perhaps one cut in the future–uh oh.

• Just one thing says:

Beckett is a lying, secret-carrying, gun-toting lone ranger. The only duo name that suits her is Caskett. For more reasons than one.
            Dun dun dun.

• CastleBuzz says:

Me too so far. It was just so off that 1) Alexis is suddenly a fully capable investigator and 2) Hayley, who has come across as totally anti-social at this point in the ep, is suddenly all girly and cozy with Alexis after a couple of minutes. I get the writers wanted a quick way to get Hayley to cooperate later on, but Alexis’s development and her friendship should have evolved if it’s going to have a lot of impact on the show.

• Just one thing says:

It was way too easy. It’s become clear (to me anyway) that the various showrunners over the last year have avoided a solid Beckett/Alexis dynamic. Don’t know why. Have my suspicions, but don’t really care.
            If they want to catapult Hayley into the Castle/Alexis circle and make the ladies insta-friends, there’s no stopping that train. So I’ll just hop off of it, so to speak.

• sigh says:

Oh, thank you for saving me from a lot of typing. Couldn’t agree more with you. Felt really odd this happened on her first day. Not feeling Hayley for sure (although it’s kind of cool I have the same jacket she wore the whole episode LOL).

I especially noticed the “lots of telling, not showing” — I find this so odd (same as when Castle disappeared, 85% of it is not shown). In fact, to me, the telling is overdone in many ways. There’s no subtext or reading between the lines — everything is said outloud as if the entire episode is for a new viewer. I miss the earlier seasons where just a look could speak volumes, if that makes sense.

And to me this episode felt less like a story from Castle’s POV and more like an episode with SK absent (for said reasons). I could go on…I’ll stop. Anyway onto next week!

• Just one thing says:

Yes. And regular viewers wouldn’t know that SK had a scheduling conflict. But that’s suddenly the conversation surrounding the WHYs of this story, which now feels like deflection from avoidable creative decisions.

• lkh says:

Agree totally. The telling used to take place while they were walking in the hall in the precinct, usually took about a minute. Now it’s a lecture and yes, it was really bad in the conclusion (?) and the why of Castle being missing-I still don’t know why, but I hate to be read to so it’s probably on me.

• CastleBuzz says:

Sigh: “I miss the earlier seasons where just a look could speak volumes, if that makes sense. ”
        The only two scenes that were like this were both Stana’s. The look, quick kiss, and “I love you” after she saved Rick in the warehouse and the one at the end looking out the window from the supposed safe house. I found her brief scenes, including the opening, carried the entire episode. Everything else was frenetic and frantic, which is definitely not my favorite way of a Castle story unfolding.

• sigh says:

Yes, she is very good at doing this. The frantic-paced episodes don’t leave enough time for these subtle moments, which I miss. Now it’s slightly dumbed-down storytelling I hate to say.

23. Kim says:

Loved it! She is lying to protect him! Obviously it’s something crazy if she is! I have no idea what’s going to happen and I love it! Loved Alexis, everyone bad mouthing before it aired…unjustified. Also love her defending and worried about Beckett! It was good! Also dug Hailey! Next week can’t come soon enough. Really good! #likeahouseonfire #always

24. I hope we can safely abandon fear that Castle was going to be the answer to the blind Item about a fan favorite couple ending things early in the fall on a Network show.

25. Packard says:

Braden as an evil genius still pulling strings from inside the prison is pushing that plot device a little too far. If I were Rick and had a Mafia Don who owed me a favor, I don’t see why he might not make good on the threat to have Braken shanked. The hint that Beckett is “in over her head” and vague conspiracies may lurk in the background does seem a ripoff from a plot thread used in Bones last season. Not sure if Castle has “jumped the shark” but I think I see a fin in the water.

26. YB says:

Each season Castle has gotten more and more serious. I don’t mind the cliffhangers or the drama, but that is not the reason I’m drawn to the show. It saddens me that there has been less Caskett since the wedding. (writers’ can’t be blamed because this is sort of the case IRL)
    It’s evident, at least for now, that there will be even a bigger rift between the two due to their career advancements/choices, and I’m praying I’m wrong.

I know there are four or five serious episodes every season but I hope the rest of the season is filled with Caskett solving crazy cases for fun, instead of solving them because their lives are on the line..

Lastly, I might be alone on this but I don’t want to see “change” in the dynamic of the story just for the shake of change. I don’t care about Alexis’ new role in the PI firm or Ryan’s growing family. I would be happy watching 5+ seasons of Castle if it met the criteria I stated earlier.

• DarkDefender says:

There always exists the possibility (like with the episodes Like Father, Like Daughter and In Plane Sight) that they are slowly test driving a Beckett-less, or limited Beckett presence type of Castle. If that is successful enough, they may change the series and keep it going. And before everyone jumps into the “I won’t watch Castle without Beckett/Caskett” pool.. I am guessing if they made that drastic a change, they would also be looking to change the viewer demographic and shift the focus of the show.
      I also realize that time and again TPTB have said Castle is about the love story between these two crazy kids, but if SK is out next season and people still watch.. This could be an option of where they could go, if they wanted to keep the show going.
      But I am just speculating.. And this is just some of how I see it.

• CastleBuzz says:

Except, DD, that even when Beckett’s absent, she’s present. In this ep, she’s in the first scene, well, first non-crime scene with Castle and makes that scene shine. She comes back in the middle of the ep to save him, staying just long enough to make sure he and we know she loves him. Then she ends the ep in probably the most quietly dramatic moment of the ep in silence just before the bad guys come rolling up.

• DarkDefender says:

Don’t get me wrong.. I’m a big old Caskett shipping lover of all things Caskett and the talented hotness that is Stana Katic. I am merely pointing out that this is the third episode that had Rick and Kate on the back burner (with tiny episodic bookend scenes) and the father/daughter investigative team in the forefront. Third times the charm if you ask me. It isn’t a coincidence they keep coming back to the Rick/Alexis investigative dynamic.
          Semper Fi and Caskett Always, my friend.

• Just one thing says:

I think your theory is sound. Makes me think of “Castle Legacy,” which Fillion has joked about for years.

• CastleBuzz says:

DD, agree with JOT. It is a good theory. I just don’t see it working. I always thought Castle and Alexis had good chemistry as father and daughter, but I don’t like them in a working relationship. “Mature” Alexis is more like smug Alexis and puts her father down (her “step it up” comment in this ep) too much for me, especially when in the next moment she’s crying over him.

• Just one thing says:

To be clear, just because I don’t want to see Castle Legacy, doesn’t mean that’s not going to happen. As DD said, they could’ve been resting the waters last season. They also could’ve been appeasing the actors, too.
            I just think it’s interesting that Castle/Alexis stories have to completely leave Beckett forced on the sidelines.
            Does anyone really think that’s a scenario that comes naturally to the show’s writers? Seems like other factors at play there.

• DarkDefender says:

Yes, I am saying the are seeing if this type of show could last. I am not sure if I personally would be on board, but I’d give it a shot. I prefer the Caskett-y banter and kooky case crime solving version of Castle and I really like the light hearted way the show goes, in most episodes.. That is why I watch.
            I am merely pointing out that TPTB have a back up plan if SK wants out, and that plan seems rooted in a father/daughter detective series.
            And yes.. We know SK was filming and that explains how XY was constructed, but I am talking long term survival of the TV show Castle – beyond Season 8 – If they are no longer able to do the Casketty version that began the series?
            Also, new version = potentially new demographic.

• Just one thing says:

What if they don’t wait until S9? Last night’s ratings weren’t that spectacular, so there may not be a shot beyond this season.

• CastleBuzz says:

True about the “new demographic” especially since both Nathan and Molly like science fiction and spy agenty stuff. Castle’s new PI office seems to indicate that too. Maybe Castle Legacy will be a blend of Castle and Firefly, to be known as Casfly, PI. Nathan would be in his element.

• caskett says:

You all realize that Stana was away filming a movie when they started filming Castle hence the more Castle-centric first episode. She’ll be back in Ep 2 and all our questions will be answered. She’s not going anywhere.

27. lauri5567 says:

More Alexis, less Martha so that’s a good start to the season.
    Why does the name Vikram Singh seem so familiar? I feel like it sound remind me of something, but I can’t remember what.

28. CastleBuzz says:

Hmmmm. Hard to judge as a stand-alone ep before seeing the second part. It was fast-paced and it certainly kept me in the dark along with the characters, which was intriguing. But…
    1) Foremost I missed Beckett. The scene with the cupcake was delicious. And the most foreboding scene was her standing at the window at the very end. They were, incidentally, the two quietest moments.
    2) I liked how Hayley was introduced. (Will Castle never learn to obey the detectives? He deserved what he got.) But her attitude, disdain really, for the police and laws was too overdone for me, especially since she was so quick to claim her “rights” in the interrogation room. (Like Castle getting his just reward, I was glad to see her lose the fight with the other woman.) I also found Hayley’s girl-to-girl chat with Alexis after knowing her for, what, five minutes out of character at least in so far as it had been revealed to this point. The two can have a friendship but, writers, please let it develop naturally. No reason for such coziness except to get her to cooperate later. Trite.
    3) Ridiculous that two heavily armed mercenary killers couldn’t restrain Castle in a chair despite using both handcuffs and ties. And even more ridiculous that he could take them both out and get such a head start in running away. The spiders were just silly. Unless he’s a known arachnophobe, having spiders crawl over one’s face in creepy but not torture-worthy. I couldn’t help but compare this scene with the one of Beckett and the two Bracken thugs in the hotel room during Veritas. In that one, Stana’s acting and our knowledge of Beckett’s skills and character made the situation believable. Not so in tonight’s ep.
    4) Liked both the fact that Bracken is back in some way and that the throwback to Kate’s past has to do with her time at the AG’s office.
    Finally, the story itself is intriguing and I’m looking forward to getting a reasonable resolution next week – or though a season-lomg arc — but it didn’t feel like an introduction to a new season to me.

29. DarkDefender says:

Pure adrenaline. I don’t know what to think. I trust in Beckett and Castle and their relationship and I hope this resolves well. I’ll give the new regime credit, if this is the pace and look of the coming season.. We are in for one hell of a ride.

30. Blurgh says:

I don’t know what to think. Reserving my judgments until this mystery is resolved. Not too keen on Hailey, though, but I have a feeling that she will become more likable.

31. Diana Rainey says:

WOW! Amazing!!! Cant wait to see what happens next! Sidenote, where is Martha?

32. S says:

This is SO….Not Castle! So much dialogue crammed into this episode, clues patly supplied; so ridiculous! AND THE DARK LIGHTING! TERRIBLE! I’ve Loved Castle, watched every episode. THIS WAS THE WORST! Please, go back to the previous format! Sad.

33. Glad there back missed them

34. skrable2 says:

It was well-done … but it just wasn’t “Castle.”

I know older shows feel the need to shake things up; but this was a huge disappointment. It went so far away from when Castle was … you know … a writer that it seems useless to try to tie this episode into the series as a whole.

There were some decent elements, but it’s not the show that I would watch very long if the characters have gone this far afield.

• Blurgh says:

Last season’s premiere didn’t feel Castle-esque either. Just have to hope things get back on track.

• Bonnie W says:

I’ve been binge watching all the previous seasons on cable. I am appreciating them more watching back to back than I did watching the first time around. I’m really enjoying Espo and Ryan and even Gates. I’m picking up on some humorous one liners I missed before and appreciate the cleverness of the plots and plot titles. I surprised myself at how much of a fan a became these past few weeks. AND THEN, this season opener….oy, what a disappointment! It isn’t the same show. Don’t like Haley…I miss Gates….and I’m not crazy about grown up P.I. daughter. What did they do to my show?

35. Kent Walsh Hosterman says:

I liked Castle better when it was more comedic in nature. Hopefully these overblown, “saves-the-world” episodes will be dialed back though to be honest I think the series may have run its course. Rick the P.I.? Capt. Kate the super-spy? Yeah, right.

• sigh says:

Agree! I mean, I like the serious episodes when they are done well, but these over-the-top how-would-the-planet-even-exist-if-we-weren’t-here storylines are getting really old.

36. Emmakingg says:

I liked it, but if this becomes the Alexis, Hayley, Castle show….I’ll have to walk away. I liked Hayley enough, but I prefer badass Beckett..curious for next weeks ep.

• Annie says:

Agree. I’m willing to stick it out for 4-5 episodes but if we don’t see a serious scaling back of the Hayley/Alexis show I will give up my Castle borderline-obsession.

• Vlad Matviets says:

Stana Katic had a scheduling problem and so couldn’t be in the first ep much. The next ep is more from her side, so you get a lot more of Stana and an explanation about this whole thing. After that, its back to the usual Castle formula

37. m3rcnate says:

Definitely a big change of pace for a Castle episode. The big thing I didn’t like was that we are waiting a week until we get the other side of the story. That means a week of this story line being open ended, and next weeks episode most likely being just as dark and dramatic as this one.
    Instead I would have preferred if this season premier was a 2 hour episode…but I am guessing with the scheduling Stana issue being the reason she was in this episode so little, that they can’t just put the second episode of the season in the same week as the first, then they will lose the lead they have (they are shooting episodes now) by a week.
    What I liked? Well it was intense, and dramatic, and didn’t fit that normal “case of the episode” model Castle has in the past. I like where the show is heading but i wish it had a better fitting cast. Castle and Beckett as partners was a great fit, with the cute adult like daughter and the kooky grandma and the two detectives and the station captain…but now the show is becoming serialized, which is fine by me, but what cast are we left with? Kate is the Captain while Castle is across town in a PI office with his…21 year old daughter? The one he wants to protect so badly he puts a GPS app on her phone but because of him has almost been killed like 4+ times the past few years?
    And the brit character? Eh, didn’t like her. Not looking forward to her mentoring Alexis or w/e. I don’t mean to sound so down but i just don’t see how the characters that have been built the last 7 seasons will fit organically into this new format. I loved this show for the Kate and Castle side by side working together chemistry. I feel like with her a Captain and him a PI it will lead to more secrets, more going around each others backs, more not telling the whole truth, etc. I really want Kate and Castle to have a HEALTHY relationship.

38. Amanda says:

Really enjoyed this episode. I thought last season was a little stale but this opener blew the dust off the old Castle. Digging through cake to get the braclet was weird and why was Alexis BFFs with Haley already? I went in spoiler free and I’m glad. It was more fun to be clueless like Castle. I LOVED that this is related to Kate’s time at the AG’s office as I always thought that storyline was pretty lame, so I felt like this redeemed it a little. I see a lot of people complaining about “lies” but maybe this is top secret or national security or just about keeping family out of danger. Not going to sweat that. If you’re not scared of tarantulas that spider scene was lame until they put a bag of spiders on your face and close the bag. That’s messed up!

39. lame says:

Good start after the debacle of season 7. Okay, getting used to the new PI dynamic seems to be beginning smoothly, and Kate not telling Rick for his safety is understandable. Alexis following in her dad’s footsteps is entirely plausible but Kate keeping Rich out of the loop, knowing he’d come looking for her is a head scratcher.I gjess we’ve seem the last of L.T. (the familiaruniform cop whose been around forever)that was him dying on the precinct floor.
    Did anyone see those two flags across the street as a Rick and Co walked down the ally. One was the stars and stripes and the other was the city of Los Angeles. Rare mistake by Bob Bowman. All in all a decent stsrt.

• lame says:

PS: excuse my rambling , saw this on dvr after getting home from the Dodger game.

• c-mo says:

I don’t think LT is dead at least I hope he’s not and I hope it’s not any of the other regulars especially after the fun “extra” of them on the S7 DVD.

• Keepitcoming says:

Killing off LT would just take away one of those little reoccurring quirks that make shows so special for the long time fan. They’ve already dropped other little things as some else pointed out ex. “feed the birds”. I suppose it’s a cost cutting excuse to drop certain “extras” from the show. Sad if that’s it.

• lkh says:

WHAT!? They killed LT? Damn!

• John NYC says:

Doubt it. I sort of remember a his grabbing his shoulder? It’s still on my drive do I might rewarch to catch some of these things.

Plus he’s popular.

40. Mary says:

I´ve not watched yet (and knowing it´s a 2 parter I wouldn´t say much because a story always has 2 POV and this is just 1) and I´m not reading the review (waiting untill I watch) but I was curious to see the reaction: some loved it, some hated it, some are assuming they know what will happen next and are full of negativity and are done with the show…okay, everything is right with the world, it is still in the same place!!!:)

41. henry baker says:

its a shame that ppl are so uncaring that there are ppl who have phobias like spiders like me i had already gone off castle and now i think i will defo not be watching anymore

• Mary says:

It was ONE scene, please!!! I hate, hate, hate and hate snakes! I don´t stop watching a show I like because of them. I turn my head and wait they go away, how difficult is that?!

42. Rick Katze says:

Definitely a different perspective to the show. Liked the grown-up Alexis. Will be curious to see to see if the ratings drop in the next couple of weeks since the reboot of Castle could scare away people who liked the original.

43. Castlefan says:

Obviously I’d have liked more Beckett but understand the reasons and hope it evens out next week. Lack of Martha was a disappointment.

I like Hayley a lot but don’t want them to pretend she’s a main character – never will be.

Alexis was less annoying than in recent seasons but too much of her and the PI situation was implausible.

Please, no more of Ryan’s tedious family.

Over all a good start to the season but with reservations: will certainly keep watching and the show can still be great as long as the new controllers know whom their focus should be.

44. Jennifer says:

I loved it. At first I was a little unhappy because Stana Katic was in the first 5 minutes of the show. But then after it all got started I was thinking oh boy this is going to be a great season. I love the fact that they are working apart but together at the same time. I’m kinda curious as to what this secret is that Katie is hiding and doesn’t want it to get out. Also glad to see that both Nathan and Stana are listed as producers as well on the show.

45. Amanda says:

I know the show is called Castle but I don’t watch for him – I watch for Beckett. If this is the direction the season is going I’m out. This episode was the worst. Time to read spoilers and save myself some time and frustration.

• Castlefanguy says:

For so many years I thought the show should have been called “Beckett” with all the emphasis on her stupid story. How many years were concentrated on her psychosis over her Mother’s murder?? So little on Castle! Yet Castle (Fillion) is what brings back most of the fans, so I’ve read.

If it wasn’t for Fillion and his legion of followers this show would have been off the air after the first season. Also his ability to act like a goof when in really life he’s a really likeable man’s man shows that he has some real skill. I live in the area that Stana grew up in and know people who knew her. They say she is acting more within her real life character – which is quite likeable but really doesn’t show that she is that great an actress.

• frb says:

Hallucinating. Take your meds. They have some effective medications for this condition.

But for real, is this just wishful thinking? I’ll give you a pass. No harm in wishful thinking. It’s what gets us through the morning sometimes.
        You know this is The Beckett Show.
        S7 removed any doubt in that belief.
        TPTB tried and failed miserably with S7, The Year of Castle,

• CastleBuzz says:

Easy, Amanda. I too watch primarily for Beckett (and Stana) but you need to be aware that this first ep had to be filmed mostly without her. She was still filming a movie (Sister Cities) during the first week of Castle being back on the set.

46. Castlefanguy says:

This was one of the best Nathan Fillion acting jobs to date. I’m also glad that there were a few masculine moments for the character Richard Castle in this episode. Really sick and tired of the writers constantly making him into a “girly man”. It was funny for a while and every once in a while but a steady diet of it makes me change the channel – A LOT! Bring back his Father and maybe a secret about his year in the CIA as a “psycho sleeper” operation – one word and it awakens a Bond like operative that kicks ass and saves Beckett rear as well. Now that’s a story – at least for a guy who’s a “partial” fan!

47. Sara says:

Are they actually bringing this story line back? I’m sorry but if that’s true it feels very lazy.

48. Kim R says:

We enjoyed it in this household. And it is part 1 so don’t judge until you see the conclusion. I really liked Alexis having more to do and working with her dad. I think that is going to be great. Really looking forward to this new season.

49. Miss Rozie says:

Wow people – it’s the first show out of the gate & some of you are not watching the show any longer? Hmmm …. personally I’m thrilled to have Rick, Kate & crew back. Pretty dark first episode & aside from the bag of spiders, I loved it. Can’t imagine too many people enjoying a bag of spiders crawling over their faces/heads to begin with but he sure can pick out gorgeous jewelry, can’t he? Sometimes in law enforcement one needs to keep very quiet, even to family members. Can’t have anyone blowing a case for the officer involved. Have to see Kate in action in her new role but I’m already missing “Sir” – I thought Penny Johnson Jerald was terrific in the role of Captain. And I LOVE the “new” Alexis, high heels & all! Good for her. See you all after the conclusion of the two-parter next Tuesday. Have a good rest of the week everyone. :-)

• Castlefanguy says:

” And I LOVE the “new” Alexis, high heels & all!”

And now complete with sexy curves! No longer a little girl, for sure!