Exclusive
Good Wife Vanessa Williams

The Good Wife Video: Vanessa Williams to Recur as Love Interest for Eli

Vanessa Williams is joining CBS’ The Good Wife in a recurring role, TVLine has learned.

In the Primetime Emmy Awards red carpet video below, Alan Cumming — who this year was again nominated for Supporting Actor in a Drama — told TVLine’s Michael Ausiello hat the former Ugly Betty scene stealer will appear in multiple episodes as a love interest for his character, Eli Gold.

(So, he has moved on from Betty aka America Ferrera to Wilhelmina….?)

According to CBS, Williams will play Courtney Boalt, “an extremely successful, self-made businesswoman who is potentially interested in backing Peter Florrick’s (Chris Noth) campaign for President. In the process, she meets Eli, sparking a mutual attraction.”

“There are very few names you can put side-by-side that make you laugh,” said executive producers Robert and Michelle King, in a release. “Alan Cumming and Vanessa Williams are at the top of that list. We couldn’t be more excited.”

The Good Wife opens Season 7 on Sunday, Oct. 4.

In addition to her thrice Emmy-nominated Ugly Betty run, Williams’ previous TV credits include Desperate Housewives, 666 Park Avenue and Boomtown.

Watch Cumming discuss Williams’ casting in this red carpet video:

1. Jake says:

OHHHMYGOD *Janine voice*

2. Mark says:

Love her. I think she’d be great in a Shonda show or Nashville.

3. Some chick says:

Now I have to watch The Good Wife. I will always watch anything she is in. She is so underrated

4. Steven says:

I love that both America and Vanessa are going to have played Eli’s love interest.

5. Scott Paton says:

Guest star casting has always been impeccable on The Good Wife. This is the first time I’d have to take exception. To be fair, the fact that she was once married to a colleague of mine may be a factor in my negative opinion. She’s always been rather precious with regard to her own talent– not an unusual phenomenon in Hollywood. She’ll execute her role satisfactorily, but I will be enduring rather than enjoying her. Wish they’d gone with someone else.

6. doris says:

Thats good news. Vanessa Williams joining The Good Wife. Maybe, I’ll rejoin too. Stopped watching some time ago! VW, is from my neck of the woods. Good luck, VW. JM is such a diva!

7. monieet says:

Anything she is in I will watch. She brings it! Always been a fan, and always will be. TGW got rid of Kalinda, and I was going to stop watching, but with Vanessa added to the cast I will not remove you from my que.

8. TrudiV says:

Oh yeah I will watch. This should be fun

9. Anna says:

But I really, really want Eli to be with Natalie Flores. Is she ever coming back? Please?

10. joe says:

Because Julianne made such a big deal about the split screen with Archie, I will NEVER show again.

• Samantha says:

OMG! Ppl need to quit judging & pointing fingers! Who cares? If , & that is IF the did have a conflict , big deal! In your personal life or mine or anybody for that matter, that is reality! Conflicts are unavoidable , welcome to reality. They are no different,let things be, move on. No one is perfect that includes you!

11. graze says:

Oh oh, between this great casting of VW and Jeffrey Dean Morgan being added as a series regular, I’m going to have to change my mind about GW being off my DVR list. Drat those JDM dimples and VW always does a great job in any role she plyas.

12. Niallerz1992 says:

This is brilliant news. Love Vanessa. I hope there is an episode where both Vanessa and America appear together. That would be perfect.

I’d also love for her to appear in Nashville. She’d be amazing in it. She can sing and act so she would be a perfect fit for the show.

13. D. says:

Yes! Love Vanessa Williams! And i’m glad Eli’s daughter will be back, loved her last season.

14. Christian says:

Yaaaaawn. Would have been more interesting if they had Eli come out of the closet.

I’m not saying that because Cumming is gay … I am saying it because Eli really is.

15. chez crisden says:

can’t wait to watch good wife. looking forward to seeing Vanessa on the show:)

16. Samantha says:

Indeed! America Ferrera act is tough to top! Love America play opposite Eli on TGW! Wish they had brought her back.Super excited Dean Morgan joining the brilliant & spectacular Julianna, Christine, Chris Noth, & Alan C! Stoked for season7!

17. Love Eli. Always have, but I stopped watching The Good Wife when Kalinda left. Archie Punjabi is an excellent actress and will certainly be missed. I’ll be watching what she appears in next. No more Good Wife for me.

18. Judy Friday says:

Wow, CBS, if you’re gonna have Felisa patray a alcoholics, i suggest you font let this go on too long. After all she is a Lawyer and has to appear in court. It won’t do to have her fall on her face while there.
    also just in case you haven’t thought of it, i believe her dear friend And Private Eye Alana Need to be the one to save after reminding her of their love.

19. I think vanessa williams has great potential as a actress.