CBS Dr Moreau

CBS Eyes Island of Dr. Moreau Adaptation, With Female Lead

CBS is developing a drama series based on the 1896 H.G. Wells novel The Island of Dr. Moreau, to be penned by Sleepy Hollow co-creator Phillip Iscove.

Whereas the novel revolved around a shipwreck survivor who finds himself making camp on the titular scientist’s island home/laboratory, from which are “born” assorted frightening human/animal hybrids, our sister site Deadline says that CBS’ take will follow the “fiercely intelligent and fearless” Dr. Katherine Moreau as she dabbles in revolutionary scientific experimentation at her privately funded island hospital.

Which to me sounds like “no Leopard-Man.”

:-/

Among this summer’s myriad announced adaptations, remakes and reboots, where does a gender-flipping, not-so-scary Moreau fall on your interest scale?

1. bryce says:

Am I the only one who only knew of the book because of Orphan Black?

2. AngelWasHere says:

I don’t really like the twist they going with. What’s wrong with following the book and building on that?

• Bill says:

I also don’t understand why they feel the need to change these TV adaptations to such a degree that they end up having little or nothing to do with the source material.

3. Am I the only one who’s first thought at this story was Jaime Murray’s excellent performance as HG Wells on Warehouse 13?

• Dizzle says:

Well if Defiance doesn’t get renewed she’d certainly have the time! She’s a brilliant actress I’d love to see her in a lead role.

4. Lucifer says:

Sounds like they’re trying to desperately find a new Under the Dome.

5. Jinjeon says:

Sounds interesting. I think Olga Kurylenko would be perfect for this role.

6. Bill says:

So this show is absolutely nothing like the book.

7. H says:

One has to be a fearless intelligent fierce sexy doctor to play a mad scientist that plays God with animal hybrids. I’m imagining some skinny girl with beautiful hair wearing stilettos in the jungle. I’m picturing Kim Raver for some reason.

8. Lyn says:

I mourn the loss of originality in Hollywood. I’m not sure if it is due to lack of talent or a matter of the rights for old properties being cheaper or free, but it seems reboots with or without a gender or race change are all we can expect in the future of entertainment.