Taken Prequel Series

Taken Prequel, Based on Liam Neeson Film, Ordered Straight to Series at NBC

NBC has a very particular set of skills, and they’re being used to develop the Liam Neeson film Taken into a prequel series.

The 2008 thriller, which spawned two sequels, starred Neeson as Bryan Mills, a retired CIA agent on a mission to save his kidnapped daughter. According to our sister site Deadline, the Peacock Net’s adaptation will follow a young Bryan as he acquires the very skills he uses to save his future daughter.

Interestingly, the series will be set in the present day, rather than decades in the past.

Luc Besson — who co-wrote the Taken script — will executive-produce the small-screen version, which has been ordered straight to series. The project is still seeking a writer and showrunner.

Does a Taken series sound like something you’d watch? Hit the comments!

1. Big Mike says:

Sounded fun….until the nonsensical present day setting. Not that the continuity of the Taken franchise is holy or anything, lol.

• prish says:

It would be cheaper to produce, not worrying about accurate sets for a particular decade. I get it. It must be harder and harder to find stuff in thrift stores and junk yards.

2. I kinda love the idea, especially if you DON’T think of it as a Taken prequel. If you look at it as simply an action drama about a spy, it should be fun. I’m hoping it is cast well and doesn’t go off the rails for me like Covert Affairs did. Definitely looking forward to casting for this one, since it obviously won’t be Liam Neeson playing his character.

3. M says:

Will it be called “Baken” (Before Taken)?

4. Carla Krae says:

Finding someone that looks like a young Liam Neeson won’t be easy….especially because he’s 6’5″.

5. Paul says:

This will be another show that’s cancelled after NBC views the pilot. These “straight to series” orders mean absolutely nothing these days.

6. militantgod says:

They’re not going to hire someone based on looking like Liam Neeson. Get real.

7. bryce says:

Projects like these always seem to be canceled before the pilot’s even produced.

8. paco says:

That idea has already been taken…

9. Anoulack Syvoravong says:

Um, heck yeah! Do you even need to ask? I would absolutely LOOVE to watch “Taken” series! I can’t wait!!!!

10. “Taken Prequel, Based on Liam Neeson Film, Ordered Straight to Series at NBC and cancelled shortly thereafter”.

11. BrightLight says:

Do I need a very particular set of skills to watch this?

12. Ellinaras78 says:

Not that Taken is masterpiece, but the first one was at least fun. A prequel with a young actor that’s (obviously) not Liam Neeson? No. Just no.

13. Rick Katze says:

Depends on who plays the part and how the stories develop. If the get it right, I am likely to watch it.

14. Max says:

I don’t know who you are. I don’t know what you want.

… But I will find you and I will syndicate you.

15. Bark Star says:

After two terrible sequels they now want to cram a prequel TV show down our throats and that without the main reason for the franchise being successfull – Liam Neeson ?

What a giant waste of money.

16. kirads09 says:

A lot is going to ride on who is the lead to make this successful. But based on what we know now, yes, I would definitely watch this.

17. kmw says:

Just another great project from NBC. Even if gets to tv screen it wont last long

18. Tina tabor says:

I am a huge fan or the taken movie’s , and would love to see a tv series, this might be a stupid question but is laim going to be starring it in the series,? I really hope so he makes the show to be honest. Without him I don’t know!

19. Paul says:

The idea is interesting… right until you get to “set in the present day” which breaks the continuity. It’s probably being done to save money on period props/continuity, plus allow the writers to use cool Smartphones and the Internet. Essentially, they’re hoping to roll their own, but use the Taken franchise for name recognition only.

Done in four episodes.

20. fatalsin says:

The first Taken was great but then it was just recycled to me…. originality really has gone to pot these days!

21. Melisa says: