Forever Season 2 What Would've Happened

Forever Season 2: Find Out What Would've Become of Henry and Jo

It was no Netflix pick-up, but Forever fans got a small gift from series creator Matt Miller on Thursday when he used Twitter to answer their queries about what would’ve happened next on the cancelled ABC series.

Fans will remember that the drama, which followed immortal physician Henry Morgan (played by Ioan Gruffudd) as he worked with the New York City Police Department, ended with the doctor poised to tell Det. Jo Martinez (Alana de la Garza) his long-held secret after she saw a photo and noticed that he hadn’t aged in decades.

On the social media site, Miller acknowledged that he wasn’t going to give away too much — “still have dreams about the show living on in some way some place,” he tweeted — then proceeded to outline how the action would’ve continued had the series been granted a second season (and beyond). Below, the highlights:

WOULD HENRY HAVE EVER ACTUALLY DIED? | “That would have been part of the long term plan but I don’t think Henry would ever have achieved death.”

DID HENRY HAVE CHILDREN OTHER THAN ABE? | “Yes and a family.” He later elaborated that these biological kids would have been introduced “in flashbacks of Season 2.”

HOW WOULD HENRY HAVE ANSWERED JO’S QUESTION ABOUT THE PHOTO? | “Was going to be complicated then interrupted, then he tries to tell her then….”

DID HENRY INSPIRE SIR ARTHUR CONAN DOYLE’S SHERLOCK HOLMES? | “Yes. Plan was to have a wink-wink that he inspired Holmes.”

WHO WOULD HENRY TELL FIRST ABOUT HIS CONDITION? | “Lucas would have found out.”

WOULD HENRY AND JO HAVE MADE IT TO PARIS? | “Yes. that was the plan. someday….”

1. Murica! says:

Forever should have never been cancelled.

2. Wordsmith says:

They definitely had enough creative momentum for at least another solid season or two. Such a shame.

3. Tom says:

I would have loved to see Lucas find out about his ability, I always hate when great shows like this are canceled.

4. Eric says:

Has no one asked him why he was unable to die? I looked but I didn’t see it

• prish says:

Obviously, the captive/slave standing behind the naval Doctor Henry, when he was killed) cast some kind of mystical words and actions. Maybe, that mystic had been tied to the Roman guy, way back then, also. As an artist, I saw that from the visuals.

5. Dee says:

What I want to know is will this season be on dvd? If this is all there is, I’d really like to be able to have it -um – forever.

6. kamiamaya says:

Lucas finding out would have been perfect! Hope season 1 will at least be on Blu-ray soon.

7. N says:

This was my fave show. I want to see the DVD. I loved the whole cast.

8. ncmacasl says:

Miss that show – so well done. loved the characters :(

9. m3rcnate says:

This was a show that I really enjoyed, and I have always enjoyed the Immortal character shows (Amsterdam, etc) but they ALWAYS get cancelled, and I wasn’t going to give this show a shot but it got me and I watched and I liked it quite a bit and yet again…cancelled.
    I am glad we got a few answers but this lacked in a certain depth that would have fully satiated me.

• Lisa says:

I gave the show a hesitant shot. I really didn’t expect to like it at all. I found myself looking forward to it week after week, and realized it was an awesome show. It’s a HUGE shame to see a quality show like this canceled so quick. I still shake my head.

• Give Sanctuary a go. it has an unaging main character (played by Amanda Tapping), went for 4 seasons and got a decent ending (it was left open-ended in case of a 5th season, but it was given sufficient closure that you weren’t angry with the network etc)

• ABC has that horrible reputation of cancelling the best show,,,whoever is i charge of tha should try a new job..smh…still hoping for a comeback,,,anything is possible right….

10. Aww… Makes me sad. What might have been… :(

11. Nichole says:

I’m still super bummed Forever was cancelled. Would have taken this over Castle any day of the week.

• Susan P says:

You are absolutely correct. I loved “Forever” and looked forward to it. I have also been watching “Castle” since the beginning, but the writing has gone way down hill. The story lines are bordering on ridiculous to the point I don’t mind if I miss an episode or two or more…

12. AMG says:

Two things:

1.) Jo’s last name is Martinez, not Ramirez.
    2.) Forever’s fans on social media are still fighting to save the series. Right this second, the petition on Change.org is sitting at about 93,500…and still growing. In addition, they have vowed that they will keep the pressure on Warner Brothers to resume shopping the series, if the company had stopped doing so, and on Netflix and Hulu to pick up the series. Until Matt Miller says no, they will keep doing so as they hope that Forever would not turn into another Firefly.

• AMG says:

Third thing, which I forgot to mention:
      3.) Fans consider this piece of information coming from the tweet event the true good news; DVDs will be released about Christmas 2015 /New Year’s 2016 (depending on the region).

• S. says:

Having lost beloved shows in this matter and empathizing with your feeling here (along with being a fan of Ioan Gruffudd), I know you’ll be angry if I call it delusion to want to fight on, but you need to begin the grieving process. As the bearer of bad news, I promise you Warner Bros. doesn’t care how many people are on that petition. Certainly not 93,500. Send a bunch of letters, bottles of something, whatever fan-driven thing you wanna do and you’ll be wasting your time. Your “keeping pressure” is just basically gonna make some low level WB employee placate whoever and take time out of their day, probably adding to their stress when they have no power to help besides ‘yes sir/ma’am, I’m sorry, yes I’ll pass on your request…yes…’, and accomplishing nothing. They won’t be doing anything. They’ve stopped shopping the show so you can’t keep up anything, no heat, no pressure, nothing unless somehow you had Family Guy level dvd sales and syndication ratings spikes. I see no reason to think either situation will occur for “Forever.” If it did air in syndication, it wouldn’t beat the Tonight Show, etc. in the ratings. If you had the viewer firepower to do anything, the show wouldn’t have been cancelled. Either there’s money to be had or there is not. There’s a demo somebody wants to pull to their platform or there isn’t. Someone wants it or they don’t. In Hannibal’s case they couldn’t go to Netflix due to the exclusive Amazon streaming deal. The Mindy Project had things going for it like a lot of interest from a specific demo Hulu wanted. Community got life on Yahoo, but it sure doesn’t sound like that’s at play here or you’d have gotten a ‘we’re still trying.’ I’m sure Matt Miller will try to do something with it, and good for him for being passionate and having a story to tell–give him your support when he figures out a way. Could be a graphic novel, who knows. Series from years ago are getting attempted revivals or movies or what not like Veronica Mars, Heroes, Full House, what have you, but there’s a time to appreciate when a show (in the form you seek to see it and in the immediate future) is dead. If Netflix and Hulu were interested, they’d have picked it up by now. They will not be doing so in the near future, certainly not new episodes. Now might be a good time to take the ice bucket challenge.

• c-mo says:

Thank you for posting this. I generally hate these kinds of posts because they’re just plain mean but yours was not and while I didn’t like what you said (because I’d love to see the show continue), I appreciated your attempt to get the fans to be realistic. Thank you for speaking plainly but gently.

• AMG says:

May I mention a couple of things?

First, 7 million fans in the US, 6 million in France, 1.7 million fans in Spain, and many more internationally, are still furious that ABC cancelled Forever. The closest explanation is that the series was cancelled because ABC wanted to produce shows that they owned; since Forever is owned by Warner Brothers, it was cancelled. This comes not from ABC but from many TV critics, including TVLine’s sister publication Deadline. ABC claimed that the ratings was the reason for the cancellation, but there were several other shows that should have been cancelled in addition to, or instead of, Forever. (For the ratings of both Forever and the other shows with lower ratings, see Lisa de Moraes’ article “Full 2014-15 TV Season Series Rankings: Football & ‘Empire’ Ruled” in Deadline.)

Second, as for fans being “delusional” and need to “take the ice bucket challenge” (in your words), I don’t think so. If fans of Veronica Mars, Heroes, Full House, Community, Family Guy, Star Trek, Cagney & Lacey, Felicity, Jericho, Twin Peaks, Roswell, Arrested Development, The Killing, Cougar Town, Friday Night Lights, Reaper, Chuck, Doctor Who, and Longmire (whose fans waited 22 weeks for Netflix to pick up the production rights from Warner Brothers) listened to that type of advice, the shows would not have resolutions, continuation in alternate formats, renewal on the same network that originally carried them, renewal on a different network, or an upcoming revival. To quote Bevelry Sills, “You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don’t try.”

• Susan P says:

Thank you for your post. Forever was the ONLY show on ABC that I watched last season. ABC has now lost me completely. They probably don’t care about me, but they should because if the other 6,999,999 fans of Forever just in the USA joined me in watching ABC’s competition it would make an impact on ABC.

• Geri says:

Watching Forever in England and we love the show…so disappointed to hear further shows have been cancelled…..

• Lily says:

Unfortunately, I think this poster is probably right and just being realistic about the future (or lack of one) of the show. But just to add my two cents to the discussion, I was definitely a fan of the show and looked forward to watching it each week that it aired. It is the only program that I can say I never missed an episode! It has such a passionate fan base that I feel it would have gained in popularity and ratings if ABC had granted season 2 and improved promo . . . I hope the DVD is true; will definitely purchase.

Thanks to the cast and crew of “Forever” for the awesome program you gave us. I will miss you! And will always hold on to the hope of seeing you working together again someday . . .

• Louis E. says:

Self-styled “realism” is the worst enemy.If something is right you NEVER give up demanding it.

• PatK says:

What a defeatist you are! If NASA had given up, we’d have never reached the moon. And trust when I say, the way we’re going space colonies will become a survival necessity. Television used to inform and educate as well as entertain. And if money talks, all the silent fans of this show represent huge chunk of change! Keep making noise people! Fatalism really is fatal! Forever Lives!

• Michelle says:

Well at least Firefly did get a movie to wrap everything up! But yes, Forever needs a very long-lived show to fulfil some of its incredible potential… never give up, keep tweeting, sharing, contacting Netflix, Starz, Hulu etc. In the meantime there are some amazing fanfictions out there… I’m serious! So good I can definitely see them as stories in the show.

13. MelindaB says:

I loved this show so much. Lucas finding out would have been great, as Abe would have had backup in fishing Henry out of the river when he “died.” And I wanted to see Henry tell Jo, and the progression of their relationship. Selfie and Forever were the two most undeserving and egregious casualties of last season.

14. prish says:

The first thing I will do when I earn my first billion is to bring this show back. We should be lobbying Google to pick it up. They have turned out creating a decent email system, hopefully, TV show pickups will be next.

15. Dark Defender says:

Just makes it hu8rt more. That was a fantastic show.

16. Emily says:

I’m just going to curl up in a corner and cry because we’ll never get to see this!

17. Bob & Joyce Lamb says:

We loved Forever. Cant’ believe it was canceled and kept some junk shows on. Want it back please.

18. Fran says:

Loved Forever! Should still be on!

19. Lyn says:

Ioan Gruffudd should be the next James Bond.

20. Maryann says:

I wish the show’s creator would look into either 1) crowdfunding a movie or 2) giving us the story in the form of a novel. I would rather have the series back but I would shout for joy with either of these two things. If Veronica Mars van get both of these things ten years later, maybe it is something to think about.

21. BM says:

I’m with everyone – wish the show wouldn’t have been cancelled. There’s only one thing I’m glad we didn’t get to see and that would have been the “Henry would have been interrupted telling Jo” because that could have dragged on forever (no pun intended) and would have been absolutely unnecessary since there would have been a ton of potential had he told her right then and there and to deal with her reaction to it. After all, she just lost her husband and there’s a guy who can live forever when she lost the man she loved due to something so simple as a heart-attack… As I said, endless potential right there and no need to drag out Henry telling her. Other than that, I loved the characters and their relationship and miss the show!

22. I’m just very disappointed that they took away Forever, a brilliant, engaging program, and gave us … muppets. I outgrew muppets in the 70’s and really could not care less if Kermit has a new pig.

23. Erica says:

Forever was great. If Matt Miller can find another way to show or tell the story I’m all for it.

24. Malissa R. says:

Was so sad when Forever was cancelled.

25. Marco says:

Can we hope for a book, like they did for another beloved show of mine – The 4400?

26. lokesh says:

Pls …let the season 2 begin for ‘forever’.

27. ComeOn says:

If only Forever and The Mystery of Laura swap broadcasting stations between ABC and NBC. (since both are WB production). Then we would all be looking forward to season 2 of Forever rather than the other way round. I likes Deborah Messing and Josh Lucas but not as much as the entire cast of Forever. Could have, would have.

28. Mike says:

A cross over with Castle might’ve been fun

• Katherine215 says:

I never understood why they DIDN’T do a crossover with Castle. They were natural matches, and I really think ABC missed the boat in getting Castle’s fanbase interested in Forever. I’m still so sad ABC cancelled Forever. :(

• DarkDefender says:

I always had the feeling that ABC hoped to have Forever on its roster to replace Castle, if NF had not resigned. Unfortunately, Castle did better in the ratings and aside from The Thursday night line-up, ABC has yet to find a stronger performer in the ratings than Castle. Add in the money making machine that Castle is for ABC in syndication and it was a long shot that they would keep Forever. I wish they had taken the risk.. But I suspect they may have a hit with Quantico, and that will make up for it.

29. Alison Stapf says:

I loved this show so much…My daughter and I watched it together on the phone with one another(she lives in Northern California while I currently live in Southern California) and when that wasn’t possible we would watch it seperately after recording it and then talk about each episode we had seen. Never did I see an episode that was boring or over the top ridiculous and the dynamic and chemistry between the cast and characters was palpable and amazing. I hope that they are able to find a new home for this incredible show or even a graphic novel so that they could, at least, continue to further Henry’s story. You can bet I’ll be buying this season on DVD/Blueray the second it’s on sale!!!

30. Lana says:

Tease 😢

31. Baesz says:

There are so many mindless shows, esp. reality shows still on. Really good ones with wonderful plots, well thought out and presented, are only sometimes continued on NETFLIX. I thank the writer for answering some of the questions & I hope we get to see it again soon, before the actors get other roles & can’t come back.

32. Rene says:

Best TV show with millions of fun world wide web and got canceled… We will keep fight to #saveforever. Grab this show for season 2! It’s gold.

33. Caitlin says:

*sigh* really loved this show I hope it gets another chance in some form or another :)

34. Lia says:

I am tired of good shows getting canceled! A petition should be started to bring back Forever!!!!

• AMG says:

There is actually one on Change.org. You can search for it by typing “Forever” and “Warner Brothers”. (BTW, if anyone is curious, I found that through a link in Wikipedia.)

35. tracy says:

We have to find the right body of water that Forever will return from!

36. Rich says:

Not much too say except that I have never been so disappointed with a show’s cancellation.

37. Merche says:

Ni cuentes más y ponte manos a la obra a por Forever 2!!! No queremos leerlo queremos vivir lo junto a ellos!!

38. Tom hazel says:

im really unhappy this series was cancelled. Stupid shows like once upon a time continue while shows like this get cancelled. My family and I were really looking forward to the first episode of season two to see the confrontation between Henry and Jo. Hopefully Netflix will pick up this series for season two and forward.

39. brenda king says:

I to wish we had got a season 2 but am not giving up the hope that we will some day really SOOONN!! I loved this show and the people in it..broke my heart to hear that they had cancaled the show

40. Roberto Rau says:

There are much worse shows aired than Forever.
    I do not understand how can not be found a TV channel for this little gem.
    Yes… Forever should have never been cancelled.

41. Susan says:

Just found out Forever was cancelled. One of my favorite shows. Wish you would bring it back mid season.

42. Alex says:

I loved this show. I loved the way the “bad” guy wasn’t really all “bad” and how there was an explanation of sorts for his “badness”. Tell me you could go thru what he did at the hands of the Nazi’s and not get a bit crazy. I also liked that Henry had his dark side. That was a pretty awful thing he did to Adam… worse than death I would think. Bottom line is they were both people with an unusual problem trying to deal with that problem as best they could. Their life experiences shaped them both in ways that were very plausible, Adam was capable of “good” just as Henry was capable of “evil”.

43. Aracelis says:

With all the bad shows on tv you guys cancelled forever…..so disappointed.😡

44. Aaron Froman says:

Please find a network to bring back Forever. By far my wife’s and I favorite show. Been looking forward to season 2 and very disappointed to find out it’s not happening.

45. CB says:

I read a biography of Arthur Conan Doyle years ago, and the inspiration for Sherlock Holmes was a doctor he saw who could diagnose someone just by looking at them. So it does fit without being forced.

46. Prexis says:

I’m so sick of networks green lighting shows, giving it zero support then cancelling them because the ratings are sub par!! So hard to have faith in shows I like anymore. Forever was an amazing, well written show with great casting. The story made you love every character and always wanting more. If studio exec’s had a brain in their heads they would pick this show up and give it the support it deserves, but I know they wont. Add this to the long list of terrific shows that were murdered in their sleep. And ABC wonders why they are the network no one watchs anymore.

47. cb says:

I want this show back… didn’t know it was cancelled.. I was looking forward to it coming back.. sooo disappointed

48. annette says:

so many shows should be cancelled, you make a good one, and too bad its gone!
    Loved Forever, recommended it to everyone. Oh well, just watch reruns of NCIS

49. mccarterw says:

Awesome show, so sad to hear that it’s not forever…

50. Ruby Barnes says:

Forever should never been canceled. I love the story line. Some one please pick up Forever.