Exclusive
Walking Dead Casts Xander Berkeley

Walking Dead Casts 24 Vet in Major Role (But He's Not You-Know-Who)

24‘s Xander Berkeley is making time for a potentially long-term stint on The Walking Dead, TVLine has learned exclusively.

Berkeley, whose more recent TV credits include Nikita, Being Human, Salem and Zoo, is joining AMC’s zombie smash in a top-secret Season 6 recurring role that sources confirm is not infamous comic baddie Negan. That said, I hear his character — whose name is being kept under wraps — does share some of the same characteristics as Negan. Namely his narcissism, huge ego and self-preservation. He’s also said to relish the superiority that comes with being in control, but he plays it off with a car salesman-type charm.

Berkeley will debut during the second half of Walking Dead‘s sixth season (the first half premieres Sunday, Oct. 11 at 9/8c). And in a clear sign that producers have big plans for the actor, his deal carries with it a series-regular option for Season 7.

1. oliverhearst says:

Gregory?

2. wrstlgirl says:

Having not read any of the comics could he be leader of The Wolves, maybe. Just a thought.

• Kordas says:

No way, he’s supposed to debut in 2nd half of season, I think we’ll see Wolves leader at the beginning of the season (and to be honest I think the guy from finale that was talking to Morgan is the leader). I’ve read the comics and I think he may be playing Gregory.

3. Karen says:

By “you know who”, I thought you mean Red-John…

4. jake86 says:

I can’t wait to see Gregory on-screen!! I loved to hate him in the comics.

5. Win says:

Ooh, cool – somebody (not me) called it as Gregory in a recent AA. That would make sense, especially the “self-preservation” and ego part, though the age of the casting notice threw me off.

6. Eric Sullivan says:

As a comic vet, I can say he looks and (from what I’ve seen him in) his persona are both Gregory to a T! He would be a terrible choice for Negan and the casting department is not terrible. Mark my words, he will be Gregory or whatever they name the Hilltop leader on TV!

7. Ellinas1978 says:

So for us that know nothing from the comics (and don’t want to know necessarily) we can assume he doesn’t die right away. Or that AMC has planned for that and just lie about the length of contracts. Now that would be cool…

8. TWD is adding a lot of new people to the show cast. Is a massive slaughter on the horizon? I guess I’ll have to wait and see.

• oliverhearst says:

It would be really bold of them to make a massive slaughter. However, that is something I have expected and missed a few times, so I would applaud the writers if they did.

9. Mr. Tran K says:

He’ll always be George Mason on 24 in our “bad days” forever.

10. NoSleeepinBK says:

Xander better get ready for everyone hating his character. Gregory is pure slime. lol

11. LynnH says:

George Mason totally redeemed himself on 24 and became a much-missed character. Xander will be great on TWD.

12. Haiden Jennings says:

Naw too old, but still looks to be a good actor for the show.

13. Philip Padilla says:

Vinnie Jones is the best choice for Negan. I don’t feel any other actor would fit the role or the look better.

14. AnnieM says:

I wonder if the Wolves will actually turn out to be the Saviors, renamed for TV for whatever reason.

• John says:

Don’t think so – the Wolves are probably the equivalent of the DC Scavengers from the comics, with some modifications.

• Jeremy says:

Nah. I’m pretty positive the Wolves are already renamed from the Scavengers for TV. For one, in the Season 5 Finale, (who we assume is the wolves leader) tells Morgan that they go from place to place taking what other have, which is what the Scavengers do. Two, they were comprised of 5 men and a woman which could be the “2 men and 1 woman” that Deanna exiled from the community. But lastly and most importantly, the Scavengers are known for their leader Derek’s line to Rick at the gates of Alexandria. He says “Little pig, little pig, let me in.” The Wolves, little pig…sounds like it fits pretty well to me.

15. Pinkpeony99 says:

I adore him, can’t wait to see who he plays, even if he tends to play the same kinda jerk every time. But he does it so well I know I get excited when I see his name on the credits or his face on screen or in articles like this.

16. Jimmy says:

“Narcissism, huge ego and self-preservation. He’s also said to relish the superiority that comes with being in control, but he plays it off with a car salesman-type charm.”

That sounds like Big Jim from Under the Dome.