Impastor Finale

Impastor Season Finale Recap: Exodus Strategy

All I can say is: Thank God — or whoever’s looking out for Buddy — that Impastor is getting a second season, because I’m dying to see how Michael Rosenbaum’s con-man character recovers from Wednesday’s finale.

Buddy’s initial exit strategy was simple: Clean out Barlow’s bank accounts, pack up a few necessities and haul ass for the late pastor’s Mexican getaway. But because “simple” rarely succeeds on this show, a whole mess of obstacles was thrown in his path, including Alden’s insistence that the recent string of break-ins was actually part of a larger “hate crime” spree against Lutherans.

Heck, Buddy even failed at his side-plan to sleep with Alexa on his last night in town; when he discovered she was going on a date with someone else, he was forced to crash with Russell, leading to even more confusion between the will-they-no-they-won’t duo.

Thanks to a well-timed — if not extremely prolonged — musical interlude from Dora and Russell, Buddy was able to cut his final sermon short and escape before Damien cut him short. But just when he thought he was in the clear, he got a visit from a pair of familiar-looking detectives.

“Buddy Dobbs? You’re under the arrest for the murder of Jonathan Barlow.” Aaaaaand black out. (Sure, it’s how we all figured the season would end, but that didn’t make the final moment any less satisfying… or stressful.)

Any theories about how Buddy will weasel his way out of this one? Grade the first season of Impastor below, then drop a comment with your thoughts.

1. Pat says:

Impastor started out cute but quickly turned stupid. I have watched all 10 episodes, waiting for some good comedy, still waiting!

2. Angela says:

Impastor is a heck of a lot better than most critics give it credit for. Had they watched one more episode, they’d see that some of their biggest complaints such as the congregants being one dimensional, were addressed. Heck, I think the viewers know more about the other characters than Buddy, the main character. Well, at least we have one big supporter over at zap2it and tvline has been kind, too, including Impastor in “quotes of the week”, so there’s that. I hope more people set aside their assumptions of the show and some of these reviews and check it out for themselves.

• MaryL says:

I think it’s very funny! What I actually like is that it doesn’t poke fun (well not too much fun) at the religion itself. Or God or Jesus or Lutherans. Yes they did poke fun when they had that “wealthy couple” move to the town who knew Jonathan but anyone can be wealthy, I’ve never heard of Lutherans on a whole being wealthy, and I’m sure there are cases where parishes (not just Lutherans either) court families that have money in order to get donations. The show doesn’t go out of its way to insult the religion or any of its tenants and while it’s a NSFW and a “no-young kids should watch” sort of show, I find I really enjoy it. And Michael Rosenblum is such eye candy ;-)

3. Ems says:

Impastor is awesome! Funny, witty and touching at times! Definitely better than many of the current tv comedies.

4. dancmh says:

Being on TVLand, I always assumed this was a typical sitcom with the same laugh track and sets and fixed cameras and just wrote it off. I’m not sure what made me watch the first episode on Hulu this week…..actually I think it was an article about all the swearing they get away with…but three hours later I was still watching. I love this show. Buddy is an ass of the highest caliber and some of the characters are a bit too cliched but it all just works. And the book club episode was completely unexpected and made me fall off the couch laughing.

5. Joey Padron says:

Good season finale. First season was great. Michael is great on the show. Can’t wait for season 2!

6. Bob says:

Really like the offbeat characters and the edginess of the plot lines and scripts. Hopefully the writers will not fall off the tightrope they’re walking blending comedy & religion and purposely offend & insult people. Well chosen cast helps this series succeed.