Doctor Who Coleman Leaving

Doctor Who's Jenna Coleman Is (Again) Rumored to Be Leaving; BBC Mum

The “Jenna Coleman is leaving Doctor Who!” rumor has regenerated, though this time it maaaaaay have some teeth to it.

Last winter, you will recall, Coleman’s future as Twelve’s companion Clara was called into question, up until at the close of the annual Christmas special she announced that she would be sticking around for “a whole other series of stories with the Doctor.”

Chief writer Steven Moffat revealed this past March that Coleman had asked to be written out in the Christmas special, only to have change of heart.

Now, the UK’s Daily Mirror is reporting that Coleman has (ahem) “quit” Doctor Who after landing the lead role in an ITV miniseries about Queen Victoria.

A spokesperson for BBC America, which airs Doctor Who Stateside, had “no comment” for TVLine on the Mirror‘s reporting/Coleman’s status.

Doctor Who Season 9 premieres this Saturday on BBC America, at 8/7c.

Do you reckon Clara’s days are in fact numbered? Are you ready for a new companion?

1. Geo says:

I’m not sure if the show will survive without her.

[Just kidding. I like Coleman, but this IS the Doctor after all. Changing companions– and Doctors– every so often is part of what makes Doctor Who Doctor Who].

2. powerturtle90sdudemon says:

Well, Clara would last longer than Amy (2 series plus 9 episodes and 3 Christmas specials vs. 2 series plus 5 episodes and 2 Christmas specials

3. Nick says:

Wouldn’t this still put her on for 2.5 seasons? That was about how long Amy and Rory were on, which were the longest companions, at least of the new series I believe.

• powerturtle90sdudemon says:

Kind of. Not only was the post-Amy/Rory half of season 7 bigger (Amy and Rory only did 5 episodes ending with Angels Take Manhattan) but Clara also had Asylum of The Daleks. That’s 9 of 14 episodes plus the 50th anniversary and Time of the Doctor. Meaning Clara would have been on longer than Amy by several episodes

4. GhostWolf says:

I’m all for a new companion (non-modern with no mystery attached to her/him please) but until there is another source other than the Mirror, this is just rumor and nothing more.

• Tony says:

I agree. If we do get a new companion, let them be a clean slate. I mean, I don’t mind a backstory or exploring their family dynamics. But no mystery deal like Clara

5. DarkDefender says:

Hate to see her go, if this is true… Finding the right, new, companion could be a good thing.

6. Casey says:

I’m going to be heartbroken at the end of this series, I just know it. I love the character and love the fantastic dynamic that she and Capaldi have.

7. Liv says:

New companion? That’s fine, she’s had a good run, and congrats on landing another great role!

New showrunner? For heaven’s sake, yes please. Don’t you think he looks tired?

• ComeOn says:

I absolutely hate “Don’t you think she looks tired”. It’s sexist, the Doctor is better than that. Also it was Russell T Davis not Steven Moffat. And yes, he would looks tired with 9 months of filming the series and another one for Christmas special with another month of promotion, Every Year! And somehow trying to fit in Sherlock writing and filming.

8. shamangrrl says:

I would welcome a new companion, and as someone above said, hopefully they won’t have some big (lame) mystery attached. I loved Amy Pond, but I have to say I didn’t really care for Clara-The-Impossible-Girl, especially once she carried over to Capaldi. It’s like she suddenly turned into his mother, or something (what’s with all the “Do what you’re told” and the scolding?). And before the attacks begin, Jenna is a fine actress but the character of Clara was sincerely lacking.

9. casey says:

She is my least favorite of all the New Who companions so I’m glad she’s finally going.

10. Ksenija says:

I love clara very, very much (my favourite moffat companion), but it is time for her to go (in my opinion, she should have left the show last christmas, one and a half series is more than enough).

11. Laffers says:

If this is (finally!) true I’ll be thrilled. Loved her appearance as Oswin in Asylum….but Clara herself is a drag. So dull.

12. TayTay says:

Bye, Felicia!

13. David4 says:

I hope she would leave already. Everything after the season 8 finale / 50th special she has been completely pointless.

14. Celina says:

I hope it’s true.. . Can’t stand her anymore…

15. AnnieM says:

Hm. Well, I like Clara, but there was more chemistry with Matt Smith; I just don’t think she and Capaldi have any. Since John Barrowman is unavailable to be Captain Jack, what I’d like to see is a companion with ties to the original series, say, the adult child of a Classic Who companion.

16. David says:

Clara is sweet and fun to watch as she interacts with Peter Capaldi’s Doctor. Amy Pond was painful to watch, and Doctor Who became a side show on the Amy Pond show. Bring back Alex Kingston then and make her the new companion. She is awesome and would be a good replacement for Jenna Coleman, if she is really leaving.

17. Ari says:

I think they’ve had the companions stick around too long lately. I didn’t really like Amy Pond and she was just around for a torturous amount of time. Clara took a long time to find her feet but it’s time to shake it up.

18. Thank the time lords and pass the jelly babies! Good Bye Clara!!!

19. javadude54 says:

I’m not surprised that she wants out considering how bad the writing has been.

20. Angus says:

Good, she didn’t fit the mould anyway. Gillan was a hard act to follow hopefully they’ll find someone with a little more oomph than Coleman. Wishing her well in her future endeavours.