Nina Tassler Leaving CBS

CBS Shocker: Nina Tassler Stepping Down as Entertainment Chairman

Talk about an Eye-popping twist.

Nina Tassler, who has overseen CBS’ super-successful entertainment division for more than a decade, is stepping down as Chairman in December, the network announced Tuesday. (She will continue on in an advisory role through at least 2017.)

CBS’ Current Programming VP Glenn Geller, meanwhile, has been tapped to succeed her in the newly-restored position of Entertainment President.

According to our sister site Deadline, Tassler is looking to get back to her theater roots as a producer. cbs“Nina and I have been colleagues and friends for 25 years,” said Les Moonves, President and CEO, CBS Corporation. “It is one of the proudest partnerships of my professional life. We’ve enjoyed amazing success together, both here and at Warner Bros., and it’s been a privilege to watch her talents and accomplishments grow. Nina is a creative executive with the instincts of an artist, so it came as no surprise that she would eventually want to express those talents beyond television. All of us here are grateful and proud of CBS’s success with Nina leading our entertainment programming, and we will be the biggest fans for all her future endeavors.”

Added Tassler: “CBS is a special place. For the past 18 years, I’ve been blessed to be part of an amazing team that has lifted this Network to an enviable run of success. It all starts at the top with Leslie, my boss, mentor and friend for two and a half decades, and a leader who inspires excellence in every part of the creative and business process. I owe a tremendous debt of gratitude to Leslie, my colleagues at CBS and all the actors, producers and writers who were part of this incredible journey. I will always love this place, yet it is time for my next chapter, and I’m thrilled that I can pursue my other creative interests while still being part of the Company. I pass the baton to Glenn with great confidence and pride. He is an outstanding leader with great respect for the artistic process and a clear vision for programming success.”

Tassler joined CBS in August 1997 as VP of Drama for CBS Productions, before moving to the network as Senior VP of Drama Development in 1998. In 2004, she was appointed Entertainment President.

1. Just one thing says:

WTF?!?!

2. doris says:

The only show I care about returning: ProofTNT. The best summer show tv had to offer!

3. Will says:

Hmm… not sure I buy it. Something seems a bit off about all this…

• DL says:

Not sure why you think that. She seems excited to move on to different things, and she’ll still continue to work with CBS for a while yet (which likely wouldn’t happen if there were any bad blood).

4. Dean says:

What does this mean for the network and their programs? I’m not entirely sure how the buisness of network politics works.

5. Steven says:

I hope CBS continues to try new things like Nina started trying to do this season with Supergirl and not just producing an endless stream of crime procedurals.

• Patrick says:

Given how successful CBS has been for the last decade or so, I’m not sure they are going to deviate from the script. Her job is brutal wrt work demands. Given how successful she has been at her job, she has got to have a ton of money. It may be that she just wants to slow down some.

6. Mr. Tran K says:

OH NO!! This may be bad news for CBS but where does it go from here.

7. I don’t know what it would cost to get her, but NBC SHOULD FIND OUT IMMEDIATELY! NBC is an absolute disaster, and she can’t do anything BUT HELP! The only show that NBC brought back from last fall was The Mysteries of Laura(for 13 episodes) which may have been the worst pity renewal in TV history. NBC had 4 shows that were in the TV GUIDE TOP 50 last season(I don’t count Football or Reality Shows) and they may not have 4 this season, even with CHICAGO MED.

8. Hmm… if she was part of the Powers That Be, who frown upon any sort of ‘relationships’ forming on Criminal Minds…and who forced Reid to be who he wasn’t supposed to be, hasta la vista. Let’s hope the new guy is better.

• Michael Glickman says:

Indeed, I was beyond pissed off over her decisions regarding A.J. Cook and Paget Brewster, and I was in her vicinity, I probably would have given her the spear, the Brogue kick, the RKO, the running bullhammer, the F5, the attitude adjustment, and the spinebuster all at once, as well as chokeslammed her through a table for good measure.

9. matty says:

This is a huge shock. Many considered her to have the most secure job in the TV business.