Fall TV Preview
NCIS Season 13 Spoilers

NCIS Boss Previews Changes in Gibbs 'That Will Throw People a Bit,' Tension With Tony, 'Buddy Cop' Fun and More

The way CBS’ NCIS left things, Leroy Jethro Gibbs was down, but he is not out. (Spoiler alert?)

That said, the man who just barely survives the shooting at the hands of a young terrorist recruit may not be the same one that we, Tony, Ducky et al have gotten to know so well over the years. With the Season 13 premiere fast approaching (on Tuesday, Sept. 22), TVLine presents the bulk of our Fall Preview Q&A with Gary Glasberg, the showrunenr behind TV’s most watched drama.

TVLINE | How do you pay off a cliffhanger that some might argue is a foregone conclusion?
You know better — on NCIS it’s never a foregone conclusion!

TVLINE | OK, but this is. [Laughs]
I’m not going to try to tell you that Gibbs isn’t coming back. Gibbs is coming back. But he goes through a really traumatic experience in this that changes him. We pick up right where we left off, and he’s rushed into surgery on an aircraft carrier, where we hook him up with a surgeon played by Jon Cryer (Two and a Half Men). The whole first half of the show is this emotional roller coaster ride of Gibbs’ surgery and with this new character. Stop the BleedingI was a huge M*A*S*H fan when I was a kid, and I think there are many similarities humorwise in the type of work that we do on NCIS, so I really wanted to create this homage to the kind of writing that was done on that show, with Jon’s character — and Jon really delivers. At the end of it, he and Gibbs have established this doctor/patient bond, and in Gibbs going through this we’re going to see a more emotionally accessible Gibbs. We’re going to see some changes in Gibbs that are going to throw people a little bit. [Mark] Harmon is really doing some fantastic work right now in just little subtle nuances and changes. Physically you’re going to see changes. Emotionally you’re going to see changes. Things that you wouldn’t normally associate with Leroy Jethro Gibbs are going to happen.

TVLINE | I was going to ask: What were Mark Harmon’s hopes and wishes for the storyline?
My goal 13 seasons into a show is to give him something fresh and different and new to work with. By going through this sort of life-altering moment, it changes Gibbs’ perspective on the world. You have this very old-school view of what his job is and what being a federal agent is about, and then you end up getting shot and seriously injured by a 12-, 13-year-old kid. That in our mind changes everything.

TVLINE | Michael Weatherly told me there’s a “fundamental” and “tonal shift” for the series.
I don’t know if it at the end of the day affects the entire series, but it certainly affects the way that Gibbs is working with and responding to his team. It’s not a question of his caring for them — they’re his family. Stop the BleedingBut he now has this question in his head of: As the world changes and evolves, can he continue to protect his team? Is his team ready for this kind of adversary? Is it ready for this kind of fight? And how many more lives does Leroy Jethro Gibbs have? If something were to happen to him, if he didn’t make it through as he’s going to this time, is there someone in line who’s actually prepared for what the world has to offer? That’s going to trickle down to Tony, where Gibbs and Tony are having tension and Tony’s really struggling with trying to understand where Gibbs is headed. There’s a lot of complex character stuff going on with everybody as Tony sort of looks at things and says, “Do I want to be you?”

TVLINE | Until Gibbs is 100 percent, is DiNozzo the guy who steps up most?
He does step up, in the first episode especially, when he takes the reins and runs off to Shanghai with Mimi Rogers (as CIA Officer Joanna Teague). They go after Daniel Budd (played by Giles Matthey) and they sort of wrap up this Calling story, but then he comes back and Gibbs is hard on him. Gibbs is looking at the world a little differently and sees things a little differently. McGee, too, has matured and stepped up and become a qualified, mature agent. Bishop will continue to evolve and faces a bunch of stuff with her personal life and her husband that will then trickle down and sort of change who she is as an agent as well.

TVLINE | Regarding the Gibbs/DiNozzo conflict, is it that one of them thinks Tony’s ready and one of them doesn’t?
Well, I think it’s more than that. [Tony] had an opportunity to have his own team years ago, and he turned that down in order to stay with us. At this point, seeing what’s happened to Gibbs, seeing what’s happened to his world, Tony can’t help but look at things and say, “Is this what I want? Is this who I want to be?” We’re putting together a really significant case later in the season that’s going to sort of bring all this to a head. So is there an arc for the Tony/Gibbs relationship and Tony’s place in the team? Yes. It’s going to continue to evolve and Tony’s going to really get wrapped up in something that I think is going to surprise people.

TVLINE | Something interesting that Brian Dietzen said to me was that Jimmy’s going to have a conflict between his friendships and his professional obligations.
That’s a good way of putting it. He and I talked a little bit about some stuff that’s going to happen later on in the season and that’s true. He’s going to get sucked into this sort of big picture issue that I’m talking about, Personal Dayand it will really drive a wedge between him and his friends. It’s much further down the road but I’m eager to see it unfold.

TVLINE | I also understand that Bishop and McGee will be going undercover…?
There’s an undercover story that happens where McGee and Bishop have to portray a married couple, yes, so that was a lot of fun. We also do an episode where Vance has to go back into the field as a field agent, so there’s a lot of fun “buddy cop” stuff between him and Gibbs in the fourth episode. Then in the fifth episode, we’ve got this huge “Abby/Die Hard” story which finds Abby alone in a lab and she sort of has to use her wits in order to handle things.

TVLINE | Any recent guest castings or returns, like Jamie Lee Curtis, Alex Kingston, Diane Neal…? Weatherly said there would be some later in the season that “melt the avid NCIS viewer’s brain.”
I know that later in the season we’ve got some really fine guest spots that I’m planning on that aren’t locked in yet, but right now at the beginning of the season it seems to be all about this emotional roller coaster ride for Gibbs.

Want more scoop on NCIS, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. slm says:

I’m so not interested in anything Bishop related. The character has been a poor fit for NCIS. Hope she is kept way in background. Losing interest with this character on board.

• Pete says:

Ah, then you know exactly how many of us feel with the continued obsession of a few fans about the character who left.

• Larc says:

It’s not specifically Ziva I miss, but her kind of kickass female agent. Bishop is dishwater weak. Having somebody like that as an NCIS field agent doesn’t seem believable to me.

• as524 says:

Actually it was most likely ziva that just wasn’t believable.

• I find Ellie Bishop a heck of a lot more believable than Ziva ever was. Much more likeable too.

• garyb says:

Thank you. Bishop is much more like a real life agent then Ziva was. Most women agents are BRAIN OVER BRAWN. A ot of what Ziva did was so far from reality that is was dumb.

• Lynn says:

I don’t know – Bishop is dishwater blah – can’t convince me she can punch her way out of a paper bag-and personality of a dishrag. On the other hand, Brodie over at NCIS NO is kickass cool agent that is more believable and would’ve have been hands down a better fit with Mcgee and Tony.

• mercuryblues says:

I guess that’s okay (if you like boring)!!

• mercuryblues says:

I see that you’re one of the Bishopbots who are constantly stalking the NCIS site (you and your tiny band of haters). I can tell that by all of your vitriolic posts!

• Betsy morrison says:

Bishop doesn’t look the part. I miss the ziva so much. I wish sh e was back……

• Having had the pleasure to meet some NCIS special agents, men AND women, I would say that Ellie is closer to the real deal than Ziva, even if we throw aside the fact that a foreign spy/assassin wouldn’t be allowed anywhere NEAR an NCIS computer.

Ziva started out as an interesting and totally unbelievable character who soon took over the series’ focus to the detriment of all. That said, I like the strong women characters such as Paula Cassidy and Cassie Yates.

• mercuryblues says:

Lizabeth, if you say that Ellie is closer to the real deal than Ziva, then (the real) NCIS is really in trouble!

• Lana says:

I miss Ziva because that group of agents as a whole was more interesting together. She wasn’t afraid to fight or shoot because of how she was raised. The storylines were also more interesting. I get frustrated because Glasberg won’t say why they won’t have Cote back. I have a feeling it’s Glasberg. I agree with you about Bishop. She is so boring. Kate wasn’t kick ass like Ziva but her character was interesting and people liked her.

• Dean says:

If that were true why have you stuck through this long just to moan about it?

• John NYC says:

and yet portrayed as a better fit in many ways than McGee.

• Larc says:

McGee can at least carry his own weight in a situation. Bishop is as apt to do the wrong thing as the right one. Had you honestly rather have McGee or Bishop watching your 6?

• John NYC says:

When he started out as an inept computer nerd probie? I’d rather have Bishop’s proven analytical skills assisting in pursuing the investigation. That being in the actual title of the agency after all. Investigation. “6” ? That’s Harmon Rabb’s job.

• J J says:

I LOVE NCIS and have been a fan since it began, I would hate for it to come to an end.
      I watch all the reruns all the time.
      BRING ZIVA BACK!!!!
      She has been greatly missed by NCIS fans.. It would be ideal and beneficial for the show to have her to return. She fits in like a nice comfortable glove.
      As far as Bishop goes, her character is not a good fit for the team, She’s a good actress. Perhaps, she should be doing computer forensics not out on as a field agent.

• Sam says:

I soo. agree……Bring Ziva back

• Sally Dunn says:

So exciting Sounds like a really great new season. Things change people change. I loved Ziva. But people need to quite comparing and move on Bishop is a different person and does a great job

• Speak for yourself. She may be missed by SOME NCIS fans, but definitely not this one, and I don’t believe it would be either beneficial or ideal for her to return. The team is finally back to actually being a team again, rather than accessories for one character’s angst, issues and over-the-top revenge plots.

I think Ellie’s a great fit for the team. She’s a probie, and has showed a willingness to learn from her teammates, as well as a respect for them that has been missing for a while. I love the dynamic between her and Tony, and between her and Tim, and love that she is married so there’s no ridiculous fake sexual tension and fauxmance on the team.

• mercuryblues says:

I agree 100%, JJ.

• Mary Jackson says:

I want Zavia back

• mercuryblues says:

Unfortunately, she’ll probably be up front and centre!

2. as524 says:

“Die Hard abby” Yawn….

& seriously – Gibbs & Vance in the ‘buddy cop’ roles’? No thanks –

I like Vance, but he’s the director. The buddy cop roles should be either Gibbs & Fornell or Gibbs & DiNozzo.

Will be interesting to see Jimmy’s story & the McGee / Bishop undercover story.

Don’t trust GG at all to pull off anything interesting for Tony.

• aph1976 says:

Regarding Vance, maybe a past case of his is reopened and he goes out in the field to solve it because i think one of Gibb’s rules is that if it’s your case you take charge of it.As for Bishop, i’m wondering if a case the team gets involves the NSA somehow and maybe implicates her husband.Then Bishop could be torn between her duty to her job or her loyalty to her husband.

• sadtonyfan says:

Vance and GIbbs? Yawn.

• Leia says:

Vance is paying it back for Gibbs , who did him the favor after Jackies death. It’s nice that he’s stepping up for a friend who may be having issues of self worth, after such a horrendous injury. That’s what good friends and family do for each other

3. John NYC says:

I’d like to see Kate’s sister return. Her character’s services sound like they could be useful plus I liked her portrayal.

• as524 says:

Agreed….

After having Rachel Cranston pop up when needed a couple of times, not having her after the explosion seemed stupid.

Having her in this situation makes more sense than having Gibbs bond with Cryer’s character.

• Leia says:

How about Holly Snow, always liked the chemistry between her and Gibbs.

• Andrea says:

Ooh…I’d like to see Holly Snow come back. The article mentioned Diane Neal and Jamie Lee Curtis. Thumbs up to Borin, but please, no more Dr. Ryan.

• as524 says:

Snow could be interesting depending on how it was written.

and unless they’re using stock footage, not sure how Borin would appear. Neal stated rather emphatically on twitter that she wasn’t doing NCIS as of the day of the tweet.

• Andrea says:

@as524, re: Diane Neal. Did she mean that she’s not doing any more NCIS EVER or just that Borin is not in the first part of the season? I know there was an issue between Diane and an NCIS producer on Twitter awhile ago, but I thought that had been smoothed over/resolved. Having no more Borin on NCIS would be disappointing.

• as524 says:

have a feeling that is open for interpretation. or just a guess we’l find out at some point. not a clue since from what I heard she just said ‘nope’ & didn’t specify.

• Lila says:

Uuch. I hated Holly Snow. Or did you mean Hollis Mann, the former Army Lt. Colonel? I loved her chemistry with Gibbs. Hated that madam and that defense attorney who kept calling Gibbs “Mr.” and everyone else “agent”. Didn’t like Dr. Ryan either. Borin is always great, though.

4. Ted says:

Ziva, Ziva, Ziva!

• John NYC says:

Dead, dead, dead.

Sadly the logical end of that self destructive spiral she was on.

• maria says:

geez, why cant you accept that there are people who want Ziva back?

• Justafan says:

And why can’t you accept that there are people who either don’t want her back or just don’t care one way or another?

• John NYC says:

I acknowledge it: I just disagree with it.

Talk about “fit”: a foreign intelligence agency assassin on a Naval Criminal Investigative team of the Unitrd States Navy? Pointless.

• as524 says:

And why can’t you and the rest of that group accept the idea that ziva’s story is over and the actress has other plans for her life.

• gball1945 says:

GLAD GLAD GLAD. Her role was NOT realistic. Normal everyday agents are NOT the way Ziva was portrayed. Bishop is much more realistic.

• Marcia says:

Remember that Ziva wasnt and NCIS agent !!! she arrived as a mossad officer , then, her character evolved but she never lost her training or let her storylife apart.
          Bishop is more this girl yoy can met at starbucks or as a school teacher…she is more current people, but this is a TV crime show… !!! havent to be “credible” have to be captivating and fun !!!
          Whats is really weird is that after all these years they spent close to each other, being Gibbs ” the more close to a father that I ever had” and Tony like a brother and may be an a possible love interest for her, they DONT keep in contact. They never mention her. WEIRD.

• Rebecca B says:

Look, I am Team Ziva all the way, but she is not coming back as a series regular. Cote de Pablo hung in for a long time doing what must be pretty grueling work (for acting, that is) – this was also the reason Sasha Alexander cited for leaving “NCIS” – and I believe her when she said she wanted to move on. I do hope that at the end of “NCIS,” or at the end of Michael Weatherly’s involvement in the show (if those two events do not coincide), they reunite Tony and Ziva the way they did Carol Hathaway and Doug Ross the way the did at the end of Julianna Margulies’s run on “ER.”

That being said…

I am baffled by those who are pro-Bishop. Regardless of whether she’s closer to what a real NCIS agent might be or not, I feel like the show has made a clumsy effort to persuade viewers to like her. Ooooh! She’s so quirky! She sits on the floor when she’s thinking! Please. PLEASE. She is a lousy fit for the team and a real snooze on the show. They took a long enough time to replace Ziva; I can’t believe this was the best they thought they could do.

I don’t care about Diane Neal’s supposed problems with an “NCIS” producer or whoever…get rid of Bishop and transfer Neal’s Abigail Borin from CGIS to NCIS *immediately*!

• Karen says:

I agree with you on Boring. She is better than Bishop. I was also noticing McGhee doesn’t look healthy lately. Too skinny!! Do you think he may be sick or on some diet?

• mpoliakoff24 says:

You read my mind. I loved Ziva, but I don’t necessarily want her back. Bishop adds nothing to the show and I still wonder why she was hired. I left the show when they started pulling that “quirky” stuff with Bishop like sitting cross-legged on the desk—pleeze. I have since tuned in ocassionaly just to see where the show was going. I wasn’t impressed or interested in what I saw. I was also disappointed in the the under- utilization of Tony. In the old days Tony was portrayed as a top-notch agent (albeit a humorous one) second only to Gibbs. Plus Tony and Gibbs had great chemistry. The few times Tony joined Gibbs in his basement were a wonderful change of pace for both characters and enjoyable to watch.. Chemistry between Gibbs and Vance–zero.

• Robin says:

I have been a fan since the beginning. Until the last season, all the characters had chemistry. I would have thought a stronger female role would have been brought in since fans were accustomed to seeing that on this show and NCISLA and NCIS New Orleans. I am disappointed. In addition, this “New” Gibbs is not connecting with the other characters. He looks and acts old. Perhaps, it is time for him to retire and be the Head of NCIS, if that is what they are going to promote as his “New” character. If it is writers, producers, they need to leave and have others that are innovative in their creative minds. Just my thoughts.

• Mart J says:

cannot agree enough with this. been a fan of the show since I can’t remember when, and the Bishop character just doesn’t cut it. everything about agent Borin (Diane Neal) just fits with this show!!

• mercuryblues says:

Ziva/Cote is still alive and kicking!

5. Rick Katze says:

Amazing the number of Trolls who are unhappy with NCIS or the lack of Ziva. Go elsewhere and write your $%^&* there. If you don’t like the show, don’t watch it. You will NOT be missed.

The rest of us enjoy NCIS and are looking forward to see what happens.

Thanks for the article.

• Dean says:

every post they have the need to belittle everything and everyone that doesn’t agree with them. And whenever you tell them ‘It was Cote’s choice to leave’ they think its because she wasn’t paid enough or that Mark Harmon or Michael Weatherly didn’t put enough effort to keep her, gotta tell you it is a strange thing.

• mercuryblues says:

Yes, it was her choice to leave, only after a contract impasse. And it had nothing to do with money (just in case that’s what you think). She had no intention of leaving before that happened.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

You are welcome, I thought it foretold an interesting season!

• Michael says:

Well Rick, we all have
      our right to whom we enjoy in NCIS, if all of the Ziva fans left NCIS you would not have a show to watch, we would be missed

6. The Rookie says:

Since we always get the “Get Ziva” crowd here, I want to start the movement of “Get Kate back”. We need a flashback, “what if” or Rachel related episode so Sasha Alexander can make an appearance.

• Phillip says:

Can you imagine what it would be like if Sasha had never left? Where would we be now????

• John NYC says:

Yeah. I think I’ll go watch the pilot again. The show started just wonderful from start to the drive off laughing Gibbs in the hot exotic convertible.

Seeing Sssha keep growing in the role would have been terrific.

• Dean says:

I always wonderred what happened to the convertable lady.

• John NYC says:

Oddly enough in real life the driver was D. Belesario’s wife so once he and the show had their falling out her recurring would have been problematic.

For the show’s storyline I expect what was revealed about Gibbs in one of Diane Neal’s visits might offer insight. There’s an episode where the team, concerned about Gibbs, had Borne nominate some of her friends as possible matches for Gibbs. Tim and Tony and Neal get caught looking at one up on the plasma that Tony thinks is a “perfect” fit. Gibbs glances at the screen and asks why “name” is up there? Turns out he’d dated her! When Tony blurts out why would Gibbs drop her as she’s perfect Gibbs laughs and quips that “perfect’s not much fun”. From which I took it to be that while we don’t see much Gibbs social life that he’s out there. A bit like McGee with his writing and HIS girlfriends.

So the convertible driver was nice, but not fun enough for the long haul….?

• Myra McGee says:

I think that since Kate was kickass and Ziva was kickass, having someone who is more cerebral and less physical makes it more boring. The smart geek was kind of McGee’s job!

• Llyn says:

I love Sasha in Rizzoli &Isles. Such a great role for her.

• mercuryblues says:

This site isn’t just for the BISHOPBOTS/(ew)!

7. Leia says:

Dang doesn’t Mark look totally hot in that pic? Have high hopes for this season, conflict, care, growth.

8. Pamela says:

Well not matter the negative attacks I’m sure to get ,I have a right to my opinion too,I agree with slm,I don’t like the Bishop character, to childish for me and yes I loved Ziva.

9. betty ;lou says:

its too bad I find it hard to watch I can hardly understand a word bishop says

• Dean says:

then why do you other with the delusion that Ziva will return to end world hunger and cure cancer.

• sadtonyfan says:

I’m so tired of brooding Gibbs angst but that’s all Mr. Glasberg and company care about these days If McGee officially takes over as second in command over Tony I’m done with this show. Tony is the ONLY reason I watch these days and Mr. Glasberg and his producers have done their utmost to turn him into an unlikable insignificant idiot. McGee is pretty dull no matter how much featuring and drama they give him. The continuing focus on Gibbs and his dramas, too much screen time and focus on McGee, and the continued dismantling of Tony has all but ruined this series. I realize that tptb don’t care because it’s all about featuring Harmon and diminishing Weatherly these days but – what a shame. The show just isn’t nearly as clever and fun as it used to be.

• Leia says:

No you presume that it’s all about.. Harmon vs Weatherly which isn’t the case…. Since I thought that younger Tony was a jerk, and I like the more thoughtful caring Tony, for me it’s then the opposite. I could now tolerate Tony as a team leader, and continue to watch. Clever too is in the eyes of the beholder as having team members acting like brats to each other got very annoying first Kate and Tony , then Tony ,Tim, then Tony Ziva, it’s grown up time now and they still have some witty dialogue and fresh twists

• Mike Loucks says:

The most childish, predictable, and overall boring yahoo in the cast is Weatherly via his idiot portrayal of Tony DiNutzo! His character belongs on MTV.

• sadtonyfan says:

It’s not Weatherly’s fault that the writers now write him as an idiot. No one – not even Harmon – could pull off this crap without looking bad. Tony is the character that tptb don’t seem to care about at all. The writers only care about flattering Gibbs and McGee on a regular basis. Everyone else gets their pitiful little one and done.

• CCrocker says:

Totally agree w/ you. I only wish the writers would read this forum or actually care about what the die-hard fans think. I only wish I knew where they get the focus groups that they do listen to, pretty sure there idiots as well.

• mercuryblues says:

I can’t stand the Bishop character; I don’t understand how anyone in their right mind could.

10. Let says:

Really hope Robert Wagner will make a return as Tony Sr.

11. lame says:

When NCiS has a crisis unlike other shows it’s never solved over 42 minuets. It takes three or four episodes to reach it’s conclusion, giving fans a satisfyingly complete arch.
    Looking forward to this season, NCIS always seems to come through.

12. Sher says:

I have enjoyed watching NCIS for years and look forward to the start of each new season. Catching up with the characters after the summer break is always fun. Reading the various articles on what to expect is fun, too, as it builds anticipation. Thanks so much for the great interview.

13. lame says:

Oh, if they want to bring a lady into Gibbs life, Holly Snow was alway his perfect foil.

14. dan says:

Huge lasting emotional and physical changes to the Gibbs character. Translation – everything back to 100% normal midway through second episode of season, except maybe Gibbs being grumpier and meaner and Tony being more unsure and awkward.

15. Theresa says:

i have watched NCIS since the very beginning..it has great story lines and the characters are awesome except for dingy Ellie Bishop.. The way she uses her facial expressions.. No dramatic action say…. Like Ziva did! And this really bothers me !!!! I would give anything to get Ziva back and maybe she doesn’t want to come back… But it sure would make my fav tv show worth taping again!! Ziva please please please come home to NCIS.. At least Gibbs finally told Bishop she had a desk and to use it .. To get up off the floor.. That was really stupid guys!! Put some action back in the show and get off Bishops relationship for Gibbs sake…. Stupid… Ziva is the ONLY ONE would could fill that role!!!! NCIS NEEDS HER BACK!!!! Work on it!

• Dean says:

I’ll put this in a way a denial filled or retarded, I don’t know which in your case, person like you can understand: COTE DE PABLO WANTED TO QUIT SO SHE CHOSE TOO.

• as524 says:

NCIS does NOT need ziva back….

The show had its time with a character that was like a saturday morning cartoon super hero & now that time is over.

16. J.w. Tucker says:

sounds like my favorite show is going off the rails and becoming an ordinary plain jane detective show.. Wait here is a great idea..kill off bishop….

17. Malissa R. says:

I didn’t like when they changed Gibbs after the Mike incident. I hope he’s not brooding all season, but I admit I don’t do change well.

• sadtonyfan says:

It’s going to be the poor poor brooding Gibbs season with an incompetent Tony whose abilities and devotion will no doubt be called into question. Without any doubt, Tony will be written to look stupid and undedicated while Gibbs will walk on water. This is Glasberg’s same old, same old. I think there’s a good chance that by the end of the season Tony will be written out and McGee will officially be second in command. They’ve been pumping up and featuring McGee as the only other good agent while diminishing Tony’s role and competence for a couple years now.

• Leia says:

Tony’s never been portrayed as incompetent, but he has been portrayed as immature, and mean spirited towards his colleagues, he was a frat boy from day 1 on the show, one of his least endearing qualities but one that the show played for laughs. The frat boy is now gone, I hope,I want to see the guy from the end of False Witness, serious Tony who could still pull a joke, but understands more about others feelings too.

• Andrea says:

Are we watching the same show? I LOVE this Tony. We have gotten to see Tony lead as he works with Bishop. She’s the probie, and I absolutely love their interactions. He’ll give directives and explain reasons to her either at the time or later, but he expects her to follow his lead, and she does. An example was the phone call during the holiday episode at the airport, where he was clearly directing the phone call with Gibbs. I’m excited for the premiere because I think we’ll see more of this Tony as well.

18. Sarah says:

I like your series. Please don’t change your story line on Gibs Toy and Mc Gee. Love them but please you can do beter Bishop is not fitting in her role. That litte miss Mufat act of her give people a pain. She just don’t fit. She can not act. It feels to me she is trying but please nothing she does stick. Youbare trying to make her the very intellect lady but it does not glue. I know Iblove Ziva but a agent must not only have brains she mustvbebin the field and doing her job not jumping on the phone and computer and look like she is solving every case. You can do better so please don’t chance Gib Abby McGee or Tony get rid of Bihop and your series will clim to thevtop again

• Seriously? says:

Seriously kids, don’t drink, text and post……. I’m sorry, I am not fluent in crazy.

• Beverly Doty says:

I guess it doesn’t matter if people who comment are illiterate and can’t spell. For all our sakes, people, go to school and learn about English grammar, spelling and sentence composition. Or did I forget that you have no idea what I mean on any of my comments? Spare us all your ignorance and DON’T comment about this or any other topics!!!

19. KJ says:

Hey not sure if this topic has been talked about but just wondering maybe think about cross-show-character-usage especially with the longer episodes, I found myself watching NCIS L.A. hoping the person to save the day would be a Gibbs or Tony and also watching NCIS original hoping kensi or calen could be called on. . etc Thanks just a thought.

20. Maryann says:

21. Maryann says:

No follow up question to that comment of stuff going on in Bishop’s personal life and with her husband?! She does have her fans who would like to have heard more about that. She is a refreshing change and my favorite female agent since the show began.

22. Christine Montgomery says:

Don’t fix it if it ain’t broke!

23. Pat says:

I cannot wait for the season to start up. As for the Bisop character, I did not like how her character was portrayed on her first season on the show, but it seems like they have adjusted this and she has started to get so much better. Also, I really like that she is married and I like her husband, so I hope that NCIS is not going to throw a monkey-wrench in their relationship and split them up. I am waiting anxiously to see how much Jethro Gibbs will change from this shooting. I just hope it is a good change and not something that turns out to be crazy off the charts. I have watched this show from the beginning and I will watch until it ends. I also watch NCIS,LA and NCIS, NO, so yes I am a die hard fan.

24. JCT says:

Bishop underground? She is it since her first step on show. LOL

25. Gina says:

I agree Don’t care for her she doesn’t fit in

26. Mel says:

What would melt *this* avid fan’s brain would be for the show to go back to focusing on the team, not guest stars. And if Gibbs really cares about his team, like he used to, and considers them family, then why can’t he talk to and bond with *them*, instead of his doctor, or last season’s BFF Jake? It’s great Glasburg is trying to give Harmon something fresh to do, but there are three other actors who have been with Mark since the beginning, and I hope he gives them, and the rest of the cast, something fresh and challenging as well. At least he’s mentioning other characters in this interview as well as Gibbs, so that gives me some hope. It sounds like Michael Weatherly might actually get something challenging to work with this season, which I would love to see, especially if he and Mark get to interact in something interesting, which sounds like the case.
    Thanks for the interview, Matt.

27. KeithH says:

I wish Matt had gotten Glassberg as on the record as he was in TV Guide… “And not all of the returning faces will be apparitions. Episode 2 finds an old friend bringing a case to Gibbs “that sheds a bunch of light on Gibbs’ past and things that we still don’t know about,” Glasberg teases. But – sorry, Cote de Pablo fans – there is one important figure from Gibbs’ past who won’t be returning, in any capacity. “There’ll definitely be some surprise appearances of people from our NCIS past, but Ziva David is not one of them,” Glasberg says adamantly.”

28. Linda says:

Hoping that Jon Cryer doesn’t bring the filth of two and a half men with him. Was so disappointed to hear he was going to be on my favorite show. Worse than losing Ziva.

29. prybar says:

Please, please, please can Abby grow up. Drop the Goth, it isn’t funny anymore. Much like her view on her personal life. She needs to change her physical appearance and really become more like the team.

• arial2 says:

So you would like them all to look and act alike? Their differences are likely one of the keys to NCIS’ success. But I would like to see Abby become as personally self-confident as she is professionally. And, as Abby has said, she’s NOT Goth, just her own unique person.

30. aph1976 says:

I think Gibbs may not have a quick recovery physically or psychologically after been shot and will change him in different ways.As for the Tony, this could be a good opportunity for him to really step up because he’s thrown right into the fire this time unlike the first time he took over for Gibbs.As for Palmer i keep thinking he gets a job offer away from NCIS but in conflict with the agency too.Plus i also wonder if the show’s producers think this might be the final season and the repercussions of Gibbs getting shot for all the characters is the start of it.

31. kassie says:

I hope they get rid of zoe. I hate that character, I would love to see Cote reprise her role. I want them to not focus so much on the romances of the agents and get back to the crime drama.

• John NYC says:

Zoe has both a law enforcement function and has a reasonable relationship with Tony as far as I can tell. As a recurring character she works for me, like Fornell etc.

• kassie says:

I thought they focused more on their relationship instead of the crime whenever she was on. I also did not appreciate the handcuff scene in the office. To much for me. And if see wasn’t on the show they always had to mention her. I just want them to give Tonys character more than relationship stories this season compared to season 12.

32. Doris Sullivan says:

I think NCIS IS the best show going

33. Herbert C Burkhardt says:

Please don’t ruin Jethro.

34. Bertie says:

I’m always looking forward to a new NCIS piece. Thank you for that. If it weren’t so amusing, I would find it incredibly annoying to see the same handful of little trolls in the comments, educating every person daring to comment about missing Ziva about how de Pablo chose to quit and they should move on. Even more entertaining is the argument that the character of Ziva David was unbelievable. If they knew anything about Bellisario and his production and research team, they would know that absolutely everything about Ziva was researched to ensure that every detail about her was accurate -from her time in the IDF to her eventual position as Mossad liasion. Do I miss Ziva? Of course. Do I want them to kick Emily Wickersham out in hopes that CdP will return to the team? No. That time in NCIS history with Special Agent David has passed and I recognize that, BUT, (prepare yourselves, trolls) I rooted for Tony and ziva to get together *cue the gnashing of teeth*. Especially after years of having that Tiva carrot dangled just out of arm’s reach. At this point, I want Ziva to return for a happy Tiva ending. But I also don’t need the romance in my face constantly. That’s not what this show is about. I have mediocre hopes for this season, as the show seemed to decline in quality and continuity at some point after Glasberg took the helm (again, only my opinion so relax). Here’s hoping they can get back on track. And yes, I am ever hopeful for a Ziva return.

• Leia says:

DPB didn’t create TIVA, Ziva and Tony were adversarial in the last two seasons DB led. 3 and 4. I’d like to see Ziva once again in a guest role but the fanatics would turn up the demand din to unreasonable levels for recurring and then series regular. This can’t be done. It’s unfair to the rest of the cast, who’ve stayed on and tried to move the series beyond one character. As for GG he won’t take credit as he knows the power of syndication, but its highest rated yrs have been with him at the helm, now with Netflix streaming it expect the possibility of new converts to the show as well. What ever happens will and I’m looking forward to this season. I’ve missed them.

• Bertie says:

I never said that DPB created TIVA but he created Ziva and cast her as en eventual love interest for DiNozzo. Had he still been showrunner as seasons progressed, I feel certain that he would’ve dangled the TIVA carrot just as much. That was his MO (former JAG fan here, so I would easily believe that Tony and Ziva ended up the same way that Mac and Harm did). In fact, that’s what many fans of Tiva were led to believe – that they were slowly “getting there”. It’s unfair to claim that a CdP return would bring about an unreasonable demand to have her back as a series regular. I don’t speak for all fans, but as a fan of CdP myself, I’m happy for her and look forward to seeing her spread her wings. Most Ziva and Tiva fans simply want what was “promised” (if you can even use that word) to them by GG and company and that is a happy Tiva resolution. I would be thrilled with her return for a few guest spots and then have her mentioned once in a while off screen by Tony just as Palmer does with Breena. That’s not unfair to the rest of the cast who stayed and tried to move on with the series – that’s continuity for long time fans who want nothing more than to see a story come full circle. Yes, Ziva left. But she was a big part of Tony’s journey, too. Full circle. That’s all I’m asking. And regarding your Netflix comment, I would bet the ranch that new converts that become interested and invested in the Tiva dynamic will want the exact same thing.

• Leia says:

Since DB created the rules Gibbs Rules, it is doubtful that Tony and Ziva were to become a couple under his direction. It was SB who gave us the tease not DB. And some of us never saw them as a potential couple anyway, as Ziver has her own baggage, and Tony has enough on his plate baggage wise already. The binge watchers will tend to see the series as a whole tableau and without the din of the social media, influence, and since everyone on the planet knows that Cote chose to leave the show two yrs ago I doubt they’ll invest much time fretting about it. They will simply see a progression. Look at the spoiler TV poll, the fav yr was season 2. I hope they’ll try to do a season 2 like season this yr with the back story backdrop, which is something we didn’t have back then, only hints back then, but now with so many fully invested in the characters they have to continue the back stories. Fewer arcs please. Although it is more realistic that they don’t solve something quickly, so in that the arcs are more true to life.

• Bertie says:

This is where we will have to agree to disagree. DPB did a heck of a job teasing TIVA. Even Michael Weatherly has stated before that Under Covers (aired during S3) is where TIVA started. The tease was always there, including the implication that something might have happened between them during Gibbs’ short retirement. Gibbs rules were part of the that tease. Obviously, that is open to interpretation. You have yours, I have mine. Enjoy the show. No amount of interpretation or opinion on how Tiva was to be perceived is going to keep me from hoping that Cote makes a return someday. Have a nice day.

• Andrea says:

@Bertie, I disagree with the interpretation that there was an inherent “promise.” NCIS is not a series like Castle or Bones, two series that I do think are built on an inherent promise where the two leads will be together. In terms of NCIS, I think the inherent stuff mostly relates to Gibbs. Anything romantic (about anybody) is left up to the individual showrunner, I think. I hated TIVA, absolutely loathed them, but I will agree with you that if Shane had stayed, I think you would have gotten them. When Gary came along, I don’t think TIVA was something he liked. I think he dealt with them because of the popularity. When Cote left, I think Gary was no longer going to deal with a dynamic that wasn’t his idea in the first place since he didn’t have to deal with it anymore.

Respectfully, I don’t think Breena and Ziva are a realistic comparison because of the popularity that Ziva has with some fans. II don’t see the character as having a large number of fans who would be content with having Ziva in the background, and I don’t think there’s any way that any formal pairing of Tony/Ziva could ever stay in the background.

I agree with those that say that the show no longer needs Ziva, and I don’t mean that as a slight. The show is in its 13th year/ Those for whom Ziva leaving was a dealbreaker have already left. While lower, the post-Ziva ratings have bought three additional years. There’s also another spin-off that Mark is producing (NOLA), and he and Michael have both announced non-NCIS producing projects in the media. This reads to me as the opposite of wanting to open the Ziva can of worms again. The show has been in syndication for years, and now it’s coming to Netflix. I really don’t think NCIS needs the ratings that even a short-term return of Ziva would bring….simply because I think it could gain that revenue through its many platforms with a lot less hassle. As has been said for years, I think NCIS will end when Mark decides that he is done, and I think CBS is content to play out that string with the ratings the original will give the network. I can see CBS shortening the string of episodes if the ratings really dip, but I don’t see anyone chasing Ziva David any longer. The show will just end.

• “… to see the same handful of little trolls in the comments, educating every person daring to comment about missing Ziva about how de Pablo chose to quit and they should move on”… Thank you for saying this! it’s always the same people, right? I can even name each one of them. Btw, I’m also hopeful to see Cote de Pablo guest staring.

35. maggiefinn says:

I would love to c Hollis Mann come back. She and Gibbs are great together.

36. Cathrine says:

I have never understood why neither the “real” NCIS nor some branch of the “real” government have not complained about DiNozzo’s character. Could someone like that truly work for them? In any other (normal) work place he would be suspended for going through their purses, desks etc, fired for sexual harassment, and probably jailed for stalking the females and threatening their male friends.

I am surprised that DiNozzo was not the one killed last season, equally surprised when he was not the one shot last episode. Now I suppose we will look forward to Gibbs and his wheelchair jokes.

To those who do not like Bishop – remember Gibbs chose her, as he did Kate (the original old movie buff), McGee, and the repulsive DiNozzo; three out of four ain’t bad!

37. Jo Ann says:

Leave Gibbs alone!!!! I like the old Gibbs!!!! Bring Ziva back!!!!

38. Donna white says:

Please,please just keep NCIS on the air,when I can not find NCIS on I go and watch all the reruns over and over again.love the show!!!!!!

39. Linda says:

PLEASE do not make a finale of NCIS, I want to watch the shows until the end of time. I love everything about the show. Just keep it rolling. LMW

40. Pat Scott says:

I have watched NCIS since its inception…day or night and I now LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the marathons. I also watch it on Netflix. Please do not change the concept of “family ” between Gibbs and his team…it works… BUT if Mark Harmon ever
    GOES”, so do I. I love Abby, Ducky, Tony, and Tim (miss Ziva) … This is just my best ever TV show….

41. Bill says:

Diane Neal needs to be made a regular and join the team and perhaps be a love interest for Gibbs, given how well they play off each other. With Gibbs’ changes, this might be the time for him to get involved with her character and/or warn her about the job becoming your whole life..

• Marcia says:

I looooove your point…I had thought ( previously they brougth with Bishop )that Borin could have been a good replacement for Zivas character… And you are rigth, she and Gibbs have very similar rules and they see life from the same place.. Their past issues show similarities as well. Borin is a strong female character, I would like to see her as a permanent addition to the team !!!

• Amarillys says:

How should that work? She’s a team leader like Gibbs. So she can’t be the team leader. She also can’t be the Senior Field Agent or the Probie. Unless you establish a second team and spit it: 12 Episodes w/ Team Gibbs + 12 w/ Team Borin. No thank you.

42. mena cordwell says:

hope jamie lee comes back she was good with gibbs

43. Joyce says:

I know Mark Harman like us all is not getting younger but he can not go. I for one would not watch if he leaves. I also feel we need Ziva back one way or another.

44. Vicki kasupski says:

I hope NCIS never ends.
    Or the team break up. I love this show too much. They are all awesome

45. I’ve been a fan of the series since it was two tryout/pilot episodes on JAG. The team dynamic and, especially, the relationship between Gibbs and Tony has been my favorite parts of the series. While I worry about what will happen between the guys, I trust in Gary and Mark and Michael to not destroy it, but rather, to evolve it, to ultimately bring them to a new level of friendship and partnership. So with clenched teeth and white knuckles, I await what will happen.

46. Pat weber says:

I love NCIS please don’t get rid of any characters, looking forward to new season❤️

47. I can understand if Gibbs stops doing as much field work and expects Tony to take more of a lead on that front but, if Gibbs leaves, so goes the show.

48. Anita says:

Looking forward to another great season of NCIS ! It sounds intriguing. I am sure it won’t be disappointing. Just an all around great show, actors, characters, writing, smart drama, fun, etc, etc and on and on ! I love it all !!!

49. Gayle birdwell says:

Will Ziva come back. Bishop is a horrible replacement. I can hardly NCIS any more and when Ziva was there couldn’t wait to watch!

• John NYC says:

I’ve come to see the wisdom in Sasha reportedly energetically requesting her character be killed off.

The actress moved on but the only way that door gets welded shut is with a tight shot of a corpse.

• Andrea says:

Reports are always interesting things. The report that I heard years ago was that it was DPB who energetically made the decision to kill off Kate as a way to spite Sasha and keep her from ever returning.

• John NYC says:

In either case a nice, simple, closing of a door. End. Of. Story.

I’m not a big fan of character deaths overall. But I’d make an exception in this instance and it would be so easy to write: all that despondency and her seeking out the loved ones of people she’d killed to ask for foregiveness just has “blood debt collected” all over it.

50. Bobby says: