Fall TV Preview
Fall TV Spoilers

iZombie Boss Talks Liv and Blaine Romance (?!), 'Fun' Cure Side Effects, Veronica Mars Guest Stars and More

iZombie is turning the tables on Liv & Co in Season 2.

The heroine is once again an outcast with her loved ones, Blaine’s a human and Major’s… well, we’re not sure what he’s up to after almost becoming a zombie , since executive producer Rob Thomas is keeping his arc under lock and key. But he sure isn’t keen on his ex-fiancée when the CW series returns on Oct. 6.

Those broken hearts won’t be lonely for long, however, as Liv and Major move on, Thomas previews below. Given the similarities to a certain couple on the EP’s cult fave Veronica Mars — and their new common foe, Max Rager could Liv ever see Blaine as more than just a frenemy?

Speaking of Neptune, Thomas also reveals which Mars alum could have been a Season 2 player (hint: he’s recurring on another CW drama) and which one he wants for a very different kind of role.

TVLINE | How different are the world and the characters, considering everything that happened at the end of the finale?
Well, there are no more scenes at Meat Cute. That has been blown up, and Blaine has a new business we will reveal in the first episode. Liv is, largely, on the outs with people close to her. Major has trouble grappling with what Liv chose not to tell him; Peyton is still gone; and things are understandably tense with any surviving family members she has from Season 1.

iZombie Season 2 SpoilersTVLINE | Is there any way she can justify not giving her dying brother her blood without exposing her secret to her family?
Any medical procedure would be tough for Liv. The second someone took her blood pressure or looked at her blood, it would probably result in her getting checked into the hospital. But yeah, certainly that would be a tough, tough thing to explain, and her mom is certainly looking for explanations as we start Season 2.

TVLINE | So where is Liv at emotionally and mentally? Is she in a dark place?
Yeah. She’s taken some comfort in work, but everything outside of work is sort of a nightmare for her as we start the season. There is not a lot going on for her as we pick up Season 2 beyond the job.

TVLINE | Last season, Major was all about taking down the zombies. Then he learned the truth. What is his mission now?
I love his Season 2 mission, but it is a big reveal in the first episode. It’s a fun reveal, and I can’t wait for people to see it. But he’s definitely got a big mission for Season 2.

iZombie Season 2 SpoilersTVLINE | What’s the interaction like between Major and Liv? Or are they totally avoiding each other?
Liv is not avoiding Major, but Major is avoiding Liv. In the first episode back, she’s trying to reach out to him, trying to get ahold of him because Clive continues to dig into the Meat Cute case. She is his alibi, and she needs desperately to talk to him, but Major is ducking her. So that’s what’s going on between the two of them when we first see them.

TVLINE | Will we see Major and Liv dating other people?
Yeah, we will. Those [love interests] are surprises.

iZombie Season 2 SpoilersTVLINE | Now that Liv has used up the cure on Major and Blaine, where does that leave Ravi?
Ravi’s holy grail in Season 2 is he can’t make any more of the cure until he gets his hands on some of this tainted Utopium stuff from the original boat party. He is on a quest to find that, and in the meantime, there will be side effects from the cure that will demand his attention.

TVLINE | Are there going to be any new creatures next season? Because the new Max Rager product could have really weird side effects…
I think we’re going to stay strictly zombie. There won’t be werewolves or vampires or anything like that. Like I say, we’re going to have a little bit of fun with the cure side effects, but no plans on having other creatures.

TVLINE | How’s Blaine feeling about being human again?
He’s loving the food. He enjoys gloating when he runs into Liv. There are some things that he misses, but he would absolutely vote for human if given the choice. And so, he’s pretty pleased with where he is as he starts the season.

TVLINE | Really? That’s interesting. I would have thought that he would be one of those types that wants to be all-powerful.
Well, he may not reveal to other people that he’s no longer a zombie. So he still has customers, and he’s not letting on that he’s now a human.

TVLINE | There are some fans who want to see Liv and Blaine together romantically. Is that out of the question?
I can say that I have a tough time imagining this murderer of teenagers and Liv getting together. Although you watch Jamie Lannister [on Game of Thrones] and then three seasons later, you find yourself rooting for him. So it has been done. People have been redeemed, effectively, on television. But at this point, I sure have a tough time getting my head around that. We love, love scenes with Blaine and Liv in them, and a lot of Season 2 is about finding reasons for them to be in the same scene together. They will share an enemy in Season 2. Season 1 was largely about zombies going after humans. Season 2 will have a lot of humans going after zombies, and that will make very strange bedfellows of Liv and Blaine – though not literally.

TVLINE | I would have said the same about Spike and Buffy and then that happened.
That’s right. [Laughs]

TVLINE | Or even Veronica and Logan [from Veronica Mars].
Yeah, that’s true. Though I would say if Blaine had only done bum fights, we could put them together. It’s the murdering of people that makes it a bit trickier.

iZombie Season 2 SpoilersTVLINE | What’s next for Clive?
There’s a joke in Season 2 where Liv says, “I didn’t even know you had a home life. I just think you went into your Detective Clive box at the end of the day.” But this year, we’re going to see a little bit of Clive’s home life… His white whale is trying to figure out what happened at Meat Cute. The police department has decided it happened one way, and Clive doesn’t agree with his peers, and between us and whoever you’re writing to, Clive is more right than the official story.

TVLINE | Are there still plans to introduce Liv’s dad in Season 2?
Yeah. We’re eight episodes in, and we haven’t written that, but it’s on our big board of ideas. We’ve intentionally not mentioned him so that we could do it when we found the perfect story, and there have been a couple ideas pitched that I really like. So it hasn’t been planned specifically yet, but it is out there in the ether and one of the things that we’ve been interested in exploring.

TVLINE | Do you have someone in mind that you would love to get for that role?
Enrico Colantoni. [Laughs] No, I really could not do that. We have laughed about that idea, how it would affect Veronica Mars fans. I’m dying to get Enrico in the show, but I will not do that. Enrico can only be the dad in one of my shows. Because I’m already fighting off the number of comparisons that I hear [to Veronica Mars]. I think that would be a bridge too far.

iZombie Jason DohringTVLINE | As you’re trying to push off those comparisons, is it difficult because you want to work with those people again?
Well, that I have no problem with. The idea of casting actors who I like and who have done good work, I will get as many of those as I can. In fact, you would likely see more, but because it films in Canada, we’re limited in the number of actors we can send up to Canada. Otherwise, you’d probably be seeing a ton more Veronica Mars people.

TVLINE | I was surprised that The Originals snagged Jason Dohring before you did.
Oh, I was broken-hearted when I saw it. I mean, I was happy for Jason, but I’d just been emailing Jason, saying, “We’re going to find something great for you this year,” and then he got cast in The Originals, and I sighed heavily.

TVLINE | As excited as I am to see him on that show, they do kill a lot of people, so there’s still hope for iZombie.
Maybe they will Bradley James him, and he will be available to us.

On that heartbreaking note — R.I.P. Lowell — we invite you to hit the comments with your thoughts on iZombie‘s Season 2 adventures. And stay tuned to TVLine for even more scoop!

1. Luke says:

Love the clickbait headline: “Liv and Blaine Romance (?!)”
    Actual article: “Will there be a romance.” “Um…no…”

• Emily says:

You know that’s what every producer of every show says when asked about romance spoilers right? I know that a Blaine/Liv romance is a long shot but i think there is potential for them. Liv isn’t who she used to be and Blaine can be redeemed like they did on GOT and besides, David and Rose have too much chemistry to be ignored.

• Suz says:

Then he really would be a Spike knockoff. Plus he killed one lover and tried to kill another, not to mention all the kids. It’s not like he lost his soul as a zombie.

• Ana says:

We can’t blame Spike’s loss of a soul for the attempted rape, that’s for sure. I hate it when Buffy/Spike shippers try to justify that. If he was so heartless without a soul, he wouldn’t have automatically realized what he’d done wrong and try to apologize. The only reason he didn’t rape her was because she stopped him. Their relationship was so toxic and the only thing they really did was have sex the entire sixth season and then the writers used him to completely sabotage Buffy’s relationship with Giles (something I’m still pissed about to this day). Anyone who thought Buffy and Spike was better than Buffy and Angel are just deluding themselves. As to Blaine being a Spike knockoff, I really hope not, because I’m obviously not a big Spike fan. At least Blaine hasn’t tried to rape anyone . . . yet. If Blaine has similarities to anyone, it’s Logan from Veronica Mars, minus all the murders.

2. makparis says:

They killed Lowell, this show is dead to me.

• AJJJ says:

That character wasn’t even in the show from the beginning… so the show was dead to you when it started until the 3 episodes he was in? Smh… Everyone that watched the show knew he wouldn’t be sticking around long because Major is Liv’s real main love interest.

• Sam says:

Yeah, just like Duncan was Veronica’s “real love interest.”

• tsevca says:

Well, on Veronica Mars, Duncan was supposed to be Veronica´s ONLY love interest. Major is practicly his copy and Duncan not only left season and half in, but he became likely the most disliked character on the show. Who ended up the big love? Character that was originally planned as the villain of the show. But they had so much chemistry, that it couldn´t be ignored.
        I don´t want that to happen completely in the same way, Blaine doesn´t fit to her, but I kind of hoped Lowell could be the one, who buries Major as a love interest. Honestly, they have no chemistry. When it comes to him, badass Liv is whiny high school girl pining after her first crush. There is no more boring scene, than when Major and Liv have one together.

• star says:

My fellow Lowell lover, so happy some of us have not forgotten about him. I still feel he had better chemistry with Liv ,still gutted when I remember his character is dead.Major still isn’t interesting to me, I like the actor(one tree hill fan here) but I just feel his character has no use. I hope season 2 will be great and all.

• Suz says:

Were we watching the same show?

His story arc was awesome, and a highlight of the finale. Taking out Meat Cute seemed pretty useful from a story standpoint, and character wise, he helps show everything Liv has lost. Plus it was cool seeing civil exes. The only reason things went south is because of her betrayal. It’s a refreshing change from the typical jilted lover. They also did a great job taking a familiar arch type (the vanilla boy next door) and flipping it.

• Tai says:

I miss Lowell too but the show is still good even without him. It would’ve been great with him but sigh, I settle.

No, seriously. It did get better after he died. I don’t know how sold I am on the whole Major/Liv romance. She did have way better chemistry with Lowell. But he’s gone. I’m interested in these new love interests. Especially for Liv. She needs some happiness and someone besides Ravi and now Blaine that understand her.

• Lizo says:

I really miss Lowell too. He just fit in *really* well. I don’t think the writers knew how popular he would be before they’d written his death…else they may have kept him around for a bit.

• Suz says:

Yuck. Fan servicing is a show killer. His death added necessary gravitas. Nothing worse than shows that aren’t willing to tell stories organically because they don’t want to alienate the shippers.

3. Bwhit says:

I thought maybe Blaine/Liv could be along the same lines as Logan/Veronica until he killed Lowell. I want to know what Major is going to be doing, he gets a lot of hate but I like him and the relationships he has with Liv and Ravi.

4. Lizo says:

Thomas should never feel like he has to distance iZombie from Veronica. They’re very different shows, but also not. And the not is why we love it so much. Liv isn’t Veronica; they’re seperate, individual characters. And I love it. Just keep on doing what you’re doing.
    Also, a Liv/Blaine romance would be awesome. Even if it’s just hate sex or just physical or…anything. I’d love to see the complications that would have on Liv and the show. Plus the actors just have soooo much chemistry together. Go for it Thomas, be dark. They don’t have to be True Love, but have a little fun with it. She’s a creature of the darkness now…that has to come with some perks.

• Suz says:

So copy Buffy/Spike then. No thanks. The writers need to be true to the show and the characters, not force a coupling just because the average CW viewer gets hung up on pairing people up.

• Ana says:

As interesting as I think Liv and Blaine would be, I can’t shake the fact that she belongs with Major. I’m not huge on them or anything, but it seems meant to be.

5. MoshiMoshi says:

“Maybe they will Bradley James him” that is not ok Rob Thomas!!!!!! I’m still not over that!!!!!

6. Lindsey says:

I love that so many people here are taking the same thing from this interview that I did: I miss Lowell. I know Bradley James is going to be on Damien, and Lowell’s death was beautiful, but I still wish they could have left it open for him to come back. I also realise they didn’t know how popular he would be, and I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re kicking themselves now. That said, I became a fan of Bradley James from iZombie, so I can’t be too mad. As much as I hate that Lowell’s dead, they showed that they’re not afraid to go really dark with the show. It sounds like season 2 is going to be pretty dark.

7. Miranda says:

Still not over the heartbreak of Lowell’s death. Looking forward to seeing how Thomas is able to redeem Blaine after that horrific murder and all the countless others.

8. lulu says:

First iZombie is not Veronica Mars. Stop trying to make Blaine/Liv a new Veronica/Logan fandom ! Veronica/Logan were unique ! That being said, i am looking forward to see Blaine being redeemed in a smart way while still being edgy and ‘dark’. As for a relationship between him and Liv, i am curious about it but make it unique in its own way, wether it is romantic, non-romantic, friendly, mi friend-mi enemy, sexual, ambiguous ect..
    I don’t find Major as bland as a Duncan but continue making him multi-dimentional, the actor has potential (gorgeous obviously and really funny offscreen).
    And finally Rob, don’t root for Jason to be fired from the Originals, we have waited enough to see him again on a regular basis on our screen ! It is already a tragedy he has not his own tv show or a prestigious movie career.

• MelindaB says:

“Stop trying to make ‘fetch’ happen!” Yeah, I don’t want to see Blaine and Liv as a couple, ever.

I in no way compare Major to Duncan. Duncan was boring and passive, and didn’t stand behind Veronica the way that a boyfriend should. Major was kept in the dark, but began to find clues, investigate, and go after the brain cartel. I understand his emotions after finding out all that Liv and Ravi were hiding, not to mention Liv deciding to zombify (and undo same) without his input. But I hope that he can forgive her and they can forge a new relationship.

• lulu says:

I can see Blaine and Liv together with some very smart writing down the road, but let’s make them an unique pairing (romantic or not) and stop comparing them to Logan and Veronica who were pretty unique and special. By the way, if you want to make a comparison and if they finally decide to try Blaine/Liv as a couple Spike/Buffy will be a more appropriate comparison, imo.

9. Sarah says:

Blaine’s an absolutely awesome character, but he is a straight up murderer. Like a serial murderer. I do not want Liv with a murderer. I did like Lowell a lot and was gutted when he died (reminder: Blaine murdered him). But I guess I am the only Major fan. He’s a good man, and I think he is so funny. Robert Buckley has great timing. I think I’m just getting old. Bad boys are losing their appeal. That being said, though: Logan forever.

• Suz says:

That, and who wants to see the same stories over and over again. Tired of the bad boy redemption arc cliché. It’s lazy writing and just a bad fantasy to perpetuate.

• Ana says:

I’d like to see bad girl redemption arcs in relationships (if it’s done right). It’s always the guy that’s the bad one and the girl that’s innocent. It would be cool to flip that around once in a while.

10. Jennifer says:

I’m rooting for Blaine and Liv. I loved Spike and Buffy too but don’t really see much of a comparison expect that they all have bleach blond hair going on. I like Major and don’t mind him and Live together but I would love to see Blaine and Liv together even if its just a hookup. The actors have the chemistry there in my opinion.