Hart To Hart Remake

Hart to Hart: NBC Remaking Classic Series With Gay Crime-Solving Couple

NBC is putting a modern spin on a small-screen classic.

Hart to Hart — the mystery drama, starring Robert Wagner and Stefanie Powers, which ran on ABC from 1979 to 1984 — is being remade with a gay couple at the forefront, our sister site Deadline reports.

NBC’s Hart is described as a “modern and sexy retelling” of the original, starring “by-the-book” attorney Jonathan Hart and “free-spirited investigator” Dan Hartman. The couple will struggle to balance their love of crime-solving with their love of one another.

Your thoughts on NBC’s new Hart? Any casting suggestions? Drop ’em all in a comment below.

1. JEF says:

Dumb. Why call it Hart to Hart then?

2. Tony says:

As long as it’s well written and acted, it can be two giraffes instead for all I care. Hopefully, they allow them to be an affectionate couple on air and not flake out on actually portraying the romance

3. V. says:

Interesting idea for a remake. My casting advice would be Matt Dallas as Jonathan Hart and Andrew Rannells as Dan Hartman.

4. nabocane says:

Zachary Quinto and absolutely anyone else. Done.

5. James says:

NBC canceled Coach and thought this would be better…?

6. Susan says:

Weren’t they talking about this years ago with Alan Cumming?

7. Mike Carter says:

arent both actors still working? Why not bring them back? Bad idea NBC,

8. Eileen says:

Leave the classic show alone. Hart to Hart was my favorite show so I would hate to see it ruined.

• cyn says:

It sounds like you don’t have plans to see it, so why will it be ruined for you if you’re not watching it?

I liked the original and I would love to see another version of it.

• venia says:

I agree please stop remaking classic Tv shows. Once again this shows how Hollywood is lazy and not willing to give new ideas a chance. It also shows the best show were in the past not now.

9. Linda says:

Oh dang! Too bad Jared Padalecki and Jensen Ackles are already doing Supernatural. Maybe the network should wait until they’re available.

10. Ladym05 says:

Bad idea! Why can they create something original for a gay couple? Why can’t Hollywood do anything original? What’s with all the remakes? I am so sure I am going to hate the case. They will go for looks rather than talent.

• cyn says:

Hart to Hart isn’t exactly an original concept. Isn’t it based on The Thin Man?

• rowan77 says:

In the loosest sense.

The couples were both rich, had a dog and solved crimes.

Nick Charles was a private investigator (and a raging alcoholic) and Nora was not usually welcome to sleuth with him, but she would do it anyway. They were wealthy because Nora was an heiress.

Jonathan Hart was a self-made millionaire (not a heavy drinker) who loved amateur sleuthing with his wife, a part-time journalist, because the cops were just plain lazy and rich people can’t keep their nose out of things. Fun.

• Ladym05 says:

I really didn’t like Hart to Hart either! I won’t watch it at all.

• veniascott says:

agreed I hope it fails like Ironside. Hollywood is in such bad state, they are ripping off Generation x tv shows to try and make a fast buck I hope it fails like Iron side d. They new to come up with new ideas not be lazy and rip off old ones. They don’t want to introduce a new idea anymore.

11. Sally Ramsey says:

How about Max? The dog? This can be very good or terribly bad. Guess we’ll see.

12. Bella says:

No. Just no. Call it something else.

13. Ben says:

Why saddle this a remake & just let it play out as it own show?

14. Namu says:

You have got to be kidding! This was one of my favorite shows. Too do this to such a wonderful premise is horrible. I will never even turn in. I would rather find the original series on one of those rerun channels.

15. Dude says:

NBC Executives: I have an idea…a show from the 80s but this time the guy is gay! How about a show from the 80s but this time…wait for it, the guy is black? OR a show from the 80s but this time the guy isn’t a guy at all…that’s right, he’s a girl! Great meeting guys, we’ve got our new lineup all sorted out.

16. A says:

I loved the original Hart to Hart as a kid but I would love the reboot with the Gay Couple as long as they chose the right actors that has that hot chemistry with each other and has that strong acting presence as well.

17. Drew says:

I don’t get it… Why bother making it a remake, paying for the rights and giving other people credit when you are going to mess with the formula so much that it’s not remotely the same formula? The same goes for Beauty and the Beast… it is not remotely based on the 80’s series, so why did they go there?
    This is not a remake of the original series. It’s a new series that they want to slap a familiar name on… but it will only alienate fans of the original (which is not me since I’m not sure I’ve ever even seen the original). I mean, this would be like calling “Castle” “Murder, She Wrote” or calling “The Mentalist” “Psych”… why bother?

• MC says:

ITA. My thoughts exactly. Well said. The original Hart to Hart (which I enjoyed) was an homage to the Thin Man movies. It was great fun, but this new show will have a completely different dynamic.

18. Deion says:

I was JUST telling my grandmother that this show needed a reboot.

19. matty says:

Love it! sounds like a great plan! I hope Matt Bomer gets cast in this!

20. Leo says:

Yes yes yes!
    I didn’t know about the original but it will be freshening to see a will they-wont they between two guys.
    This will make up for my dream wish of Cut and Run book series adapted to TV.

• Theo says:

I was thinking the same thing. They might as well have adapted the Cut and Run series because it would make for better viewing….I hold out hope Showtime or HBO do a 8 episode season show on each of the books of something…

21. I would comment, but since it’s NBC by the time my post shows up the show will already be cancelled.

22. Ira says:

How is this a “Hart to Hart” remake. It’s more like “Perry Mason,” with Perry living with Paul Drake.

23. Bill says:

IT’S A DISGRACE TO THE ORIGINAL

24. Jim J. says:

Another one for the NBC Epic Fail Files: NBC airing a remake of yet another TV show that did NOT originally air on NBC. Just another reason to hate NBC.

25. i’m sure it’s gonna fit in real nice right beside their black reboot of ironside & their black hospital admin reboot of murder she wrote.

no problem with a reboot. no problem with a gay couple
    but nbc itself is proof that drastic reboots of classic shows aren’t gonna fly

26. Adam says:

On one hand, this premise sounds fun. On the other hand, when was there ever a TV reboot that was actually the kind of smash hit that NBC keeps searching for? I really admire Robert Greenblatt’s dedication to getting a show on the air with gay lead characters but the shows he greenlights for that goal tend to be the worst of the NBC lineups (“The New Normal”; “Sean Saves the World”; “One Big Happy”).

27. Amy324 says:

Matt Bomer – Yes!
    I loved Hart to Hart and I loved Robert Wagner until he killed his wife, Natalie Wood. Not cool.

• Seriously? says:

Oh, so you were on the boat and witnessed everything that transpired, huh? Someone left the bag of idiots open, I see. SMDH. (Look up libel and slander before posting again–talk about not cool).

• Amy324 says:

Perhaps Seriously? should look up the definitions of libel and slander. Are you friends with OJ, too? I’ve never trolled before. I see the allure.
        Sorry – off topic. I would give this pilot a chance. Depends on the casting and chemistry, and whether the script allows them to be potrayed as a gay couple and not two guys who live together.

• Adam says:

I want to say that we’re post-1994, so certainly they’ll be shown as a gay couple. But then there’s Mitch and Cam on “Modern Family” which is basically two gay guys living with each other and seeming to mostly hate each other, and certainly never physical enough to show chemistry otherwise. …but it’s also NBC, led by Robert Greenblatt, who may have more sensitivities to handle that at least a little better.

• Amy324 says:

Modern Family is exactly what I was thinking about. Along with So You Think You Can Dance (and lass so) American Idol not allowing the contestants to be out and proud. Modern Family showed Claire and Phil doing it doggy-style, but Mitch and Cam – barely a kiss on the cheek.

28. nycinla says:

No. Just no. As a hardcore H2H fan this is garbage.

29. Carla Krae says:

Doesn’t sound anything like Hart to Hart. Leave ’80s gems alone!

30. Paloma says:

Matt Bomer and Dule Hill. They should be married. And they need someone great to play Max. Some older actress. Whoopie Goldberg perhaps.

Sounds stupid though. How about some original ideas instead of remake. The only remake I want to see is a new movie of “The Fantastic Voyage.” In 3D otherwise I want them to find writers with original ideas.

31. Tom says:

So, no original ideas at all anymore?

32. Eve says:

I hope this ends up being scrapped and not happening, like the Murder She Wrote Reboot.

33. emerald says:

Are there no writers in HW that can come up with an original premise? Why not just create a new show about a gay crime fighting couple. Oh wait thats Rizzoli and Isles.

• Swift says:

The problem isn’t that there aren’t original scripts. The problem is that the networks aren’t often willing to take a chance on new formulas.

• Ladym05 says:

And I don’t think the old formulas are going to work in this day and age. I for one don’t want to see any show about a super rich couple! Or should I say another show about the rich! And I will die if it turns out to be another show about pretty rich gay white boys, cause that’s cutting edge!

34. Thom Hunter says:

How many failed NBC remake attempts have there been over the last several years? I recall Rockford FIles and Bewitched just off the top of my head. Add this to their junk pile.

35. ljd213 says:

My problem is the exec producer mentioned elsewhere, IMHO Carol Mendelson ruined “CSI:NY” making it unwatchable when she was in charge. As for this idea, don’t get too excited–look at what happened to the reboot of “Coach”.

This one’s a non-starter for me.

36. rarefied says:

This will be either awesome or terrible. There is no inbetween.

37. Erin B says:

I would like to see this as a way to get Josh Holloway back on my screen.

38. dee123 says:

I love that this is happening. It makes it far easier to see homophobia. Some people just can’t help themselves.

• Ladym05 says:

No homophobia here, I truly think it is a bad idea. I would watch another show with two gay characters as long as it had some originality.

39. Ethel says:

Sounds more like a remake of Will and Jack, I mean Grace

40. Jennifer says:

Nope. No way. Are there no new ideas in Hollywood? Seriously? why all the remakes? TV shows based on movies … NEW IDEAS!!!! Please.

41. taiG says:

not gona pass the pilot !!!

42. I think a lesbian couple would be far more interesting.

43. Mark says:

The original is the best the re boot should have a man and a woman as the main characters and a good middle aged actor to portray Max otherwise it won’t work NBC should go back to the drawing board.

44. Seriously, never touch a classic, there is only one “Hart to Hart”.

45. Heathers says:

No no no no no! It almost seems sacrilegious!!!

46. Peg says:

OMG! Will and Jack are back!

47. B says:

It could work. My dream cast would be Matt Bomer and Robbie Amell. Second choice Cody C., Aria’s little brother on PLL, and Steven McQueen, Elena’s little brother on TVD. Actually the second choice would be best because both are adults looking for meatier roles and are well built and good looking young men.

48. kmw says:

Apparently NBC cannot come up with anything original so they go back to as many 80’s shows as possible. I am getting tired of all these remakes or reboots. Please networks come up with something original and take a chance instead of retreading every show from 70’s and 80’s. I loved Hart to Hart but this is not a good idea

49. This a gimmick. Brand recognition makes it an easier sell. Be glad it’s not Simon and Simon reimagined with the leads as a couple instead of brothers.