Fear The Walking Dead Recap

Fear the Walking Dead Recap: There Goes the Neighborhood

In this week’s episode of Fear the Walking Dead, the old saying “Good fences make good neighbors” took on a whole new meaning for Maddie. But it turned out there was something scarier than even the walker next door that could drop by. What was it? Read on and find out!

A CLOSE SHAVE | As “The Dog” began, Travis was reassuring Ofelia that the looters wouldn’t bother breaking into her father’s barber shop. “What are they gonna steal?” he scoffed. “Combs?” Still, the group was forced to make a run for it when a fire next door began to spread. Once outside, Daniel intended for the families to run “in different directions.” (The dads’ hate/hate relationship is clearly a harbinger of a beautiful friendship down the line, right?) However, it was a good thing that Travis wasn’t too far away when a scaffolding fell on Griselda, crushing her ankle. He carried her to his truck, and the lot of them sped off (down a suddenly miraculously clear street) to the hospital. Unfortunately, the scene there made the riot look like a bachelorette party by comparison. So Daniel, assuming that every medical facility had also descended into bedlam, told Travis to take them to his house. “Then,” he said, “we will be even.”

DEADER HOMES AND GARDENS | Meanwhile, at Maddie’s, Nick was playing not only Monopoly with his mother but also mind games, suggesting that, since Travis had rushed off to be with his family, he wouldn’t be returning to theirs. So, in a twisted way, she had to be sorta relieved when distractions arrived, first in the form of a German shepherd that invited itself in, then in the form of pesky Mr. Dawson lurking outside. Sensing that the need for protection was now acute, Maddie, Nick and Alicia snuck into the home of their MIA neighbors, Patrick and Susan, to borrow a rifle that the junkie had once tried to steal. Their stealth mission was going swimmingly, too… until they were about to head home and saw that Mr. Dawson was now IN their house AND attacking the poor dog! No sooner had Maddie decided on a new course of action — stay put at Patrick and Susan’s — than, damn the timing, Travis pulled up. While Maddie and Nick raced through Susan’s garden maze to get to Travis before Mr. Dawson did, Alicia doubled back for rifle shells — and wound up being attacked by a zombified Susan!

HEAD CASE | In the end, Daniel shot Mr. Dawson in the head — twice, rather spectacularly — thus saving Travis, and Alicia nearly broke Chris’ nose when he rode to her rescue. (Cue the “unlikely” romance in 3, 2… ) Alicia also got her first good look at one of the infected — Susan. Sorry, what was that, Nick? “She’s not sick,” he clarified, “she’s dead.” Okay, then. After Travis announced that his and Maddie’s blended family wouldn’t be hitting the highway until daybreak, Ofelia made a strong case to Daniel for going with them. Yet, in spite of his wife’s injury, he wouldn’t budge. “This is the wrong time to be in someone else’s debt,” he insisted. Nearby, Liza asked Maddie if, as mothers, they could support one another during this trying time. Rather than just reply, “Yup, you bet!” Maddie took it a step further by saying that, if she wound up like Susan, she wanted Travis’ ex to do away with her so that he wouldn’t have to.

BLOCK(ED) PARTY | The next morning, Travis inadvertently solidified Daniel’s impression of him as weak, first by getting angry that the barber had showed Chris how a rifle works, then by stopping Maddie from putting Susan out of her misery. So, of course, when Ofelia again pleaded with her father to leave with Travis and Co., he wasn’t the least bit interested. Sure, they’re good people. But, he noted, “good people are the first ones to die.” Travis and Maddie didn’t get far, anyway. They’d just pulled out of the driveway when she spotted Patrick returning home from a business trip. Since she couldn’t let him walk in and find his wife a dead-eyed flesh-eater, she turned right around to save him. By the time she got to him, though, it was too late — Susan was about to take a bite when… BAM! She was gunned down by soldiers! When the dust had cleared and a blood-spattered Patrick had been spirited away by the army, Maddie — worried that her family would be quarantined, too — fibbed to the authorities that none of them had been exposed. Travis assured her that she could exhale. “The cavalry’s arrived,” he said. “It’s gonna get better now.” Only it wasn’t gonna get better. As Daniel ominously — and correctly — deduced, “It’s already too late.”

What did you think of the episode? Do you have a favorite character yet? A least favorite? Hit the comments!

1. shaw says:

Somebody tell me Why is the drug addict the smartest person on this show?

2. A. D. says:

They need to pick up the pace…the characters are ALL boring and I feel no connection to any of them…Just the opposite of TWD.

3. JP says:

It’s not a Walking Dead show unless someone complains about pacing of lack of zombies, etc… I’m really enjoying the slow burn on this group coming to terms with the existential crisis that is unfolding before them. Nick can see it, but he’s been dead emotionally for years. The others aren’t ready to grasp that humanity is falling before their eyes.. They have to grasp for hope ( Travis).. Though you can see Madison is starting to get that “ricktator vibe” (ie telling Liza to put her down, trying to put Susan out her misery). starting to really dig this show slowly unfurling what’s going on.. Taking its time almost hour by hour

4. Lisa says:

Has no one on this show ever seen or heard of Night of the Living Dead? Also why is Travis in deep denial land?

• Jose says:

Zombies have NEVER existed in this universe……

• Jimmy Johnson says:

No- no one has. As has been repeated over and over and over, this is a world, like ours, with no zombie movies or references. No one has ever seen or heard of a zombie and they have no idea what is going on.

• James says:

Are you sure about that? I don’t remember everything from the TWD but I’m sure someone’s mad a reference to zombies before. I might be wrong.

• A fan of TV says:

You’re wrong, sorry. The universe they exist in never gave them zombie culture, so they don’t have Night of the Living Dead or The Last of Us references to crack.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Walking Dead fans must know this by now, no? It was covered in, like, every Season 1 preview/interview.

5. David says:

I just can’t seem to warm up to any of these characters….

• A. D. says:

Agreed…It’s like they chose the most boring characters and people…they took what was great about TWD, characters you cared if they lived or died, and gave us characters you bore you to death.

• Sad Panda says:

I didn’t like anyone in the first season of TWD. Sure, I wanted Rick to find his family, but I thought he was naive as hell. I thought Carol was weak and would die quickly… I thought Darryl would run off and leave the group… etc. Now Carol/Darryl of two of my favorites.

• Clandestine Green says:

I agree…the characters are not very likable. The actresses portraying the mother and daughter are especially irritating. Kim Dickens is a horrible actress, I don’t know how she gets work. The drug addict son overacts too.

With The Walking Dead, we were given characters that were flawed but we could like and relate to…even the background characters (like Jacqui and….at the time Carol) were people you could root for. This show…not so much…I keep hoping the whole family gets chomped.

• mary says:

But when exactly in TWD did you start to like them? When they were running, killing…There are also many more characters on TWD. On here they are focusing on this small group, who are just learning about what is happening. Geesh…why do people never give shows a chance anymore. It’s been 3 episodes & people want everything.

6. steve says:

It wasn’t a rifle. It was a shotgun. That’s one strike against your survival prospects on the zombocalypse.

7. Abby says:

Why is no one trying to watch the news?! Radio, anything!

8. Concerned says:

I honestly think this is the stupidest show I’ve seen in a long long time

9. Kate M. says:

The teeny tiny subtitles are very annoying.

10. AngelWasHere says:

It got better, but the characters are still kind of bland. Kind of dumb too. For example I thought letting the dog in house only for it to get eaten later was stupid. They could of just left it outside and kept quiet. Then sent the son out to get the gun since the daughter had no problem going back alone. Even so the show is missing something that I can’t put my finger on that the original has.

11. James says:

These people are really stupid. I wouldn’t let a strange dog in my house on a Tuesday. They’re going to let a bloody dog in their house in the middle of an extremely deadly and contagious virus pandemic?

• mary says:

They don’t really know what is going on. Not to mention they have to go through the denial phase. I wonder what we would do? I mean there was the guy on bath salts that ate the other guy. But would we believe something like this could happen, & how easy it goes from person to person to animal.

12. So Happy says:

I don’t normally watch shows like this. Horror isn’t my thing. I HAVE enjoyed this series. Personally, I like the pace and I began watching because there are a lot of the actors I like.
    I will continue watching until it becomes too gory and gross for me lol.

13. Liz985 says:

So, essentially, Travis is the Lori of FTWD.

14. Ellinas1978 says:

Not the worst thing on TV, but I’m not looking forward to it every Sunday like with the original show. If it was up against anything else of value it would be relegated to getting watched later in the week.

15. I’m really starting to like this show a lot. I think Madison is a very compelling lead and that was shown perfectly last night as she spoke with Liza about taking her out if she becomes undead and how she struggled with putting her neighbor down. The only character I really can’t stand is the daughter Alicia. I think the fear factor is almost better than the original Walking Dead since the characters have so much less of an understanding of what’s happening around them and there aren’t hordes and hordes of zombies everywhere they turn.

• mistermcgee says:

I agree with you. So many people are comparing them to Rick’s group but this is probably just how everyone started out before the got to the quarry. Remember the Carol of Season 1 and the Carol of today are vastly different. And though it can be frustrating because we “know more” I think it’s somewhat realistic that they would behave this way. You see your neighbor and most people won’t automatically start trying to kill them. That said, I don’t have a strong tie to any of the characters either except Madison.

16. kellie says:

I dont like these people and I cant relate to the way they think and behave. Their lack of skills and weapons would make them surviving in a zombie-filled world seem highly unrealistic. I’ll stick with watching the folks in Rick’s group. I dont always like everything that every character in the Eastern group does but, at least, I can understand why they are still alive.

• mary says:

That’s the difference between being in the thick of it(TWD) & it just starting. It’s not so easy taking a life, especially when you don’t really know what you’re up against. Look at Carol, she wasn’t the kick a$4 she is now.

17. MaggieC says:

Love the show! Producers & directors: Please make the subtitles larger. I have pretty good eyesight but with these I have to get up & walk over to the TV in order to read them. Exercise is good but at 9 PM I’m trying to relax!

18. Snsetblaze says:

Why hasn’t NIck changed his old man castoffs? Does he not have any other clothes at his mother’s? Alicia changed clothes. Madison changed clothes.

And wouldn’t you think that the barber could have asked for a doctor from the army. Its obvious it was not a bite but rather a badly bruised or broken leg? (My guess is barber mom may be the first to go from this crew.)

19. Vi says:

Really had to kill the dog?

20. The Squatch says:

Eye-Roll moment of the week for me… When Travis’ son was being shown how to use the shotgun and Travis throws a hissy fit and gives the obligatory “You know how I feel about guns.” line.

Umm… sorry, but I hope your feelings about guns start to change pretty darn quick or else your family isn’t going to last very long. I mean, he has personally seen these things being filled full of lead by the police to no effect and that only a headshot can take one down. I saw it again in his own living room with his undead neighbor. But still, he has a No Guns policy. Unless he becomes this show’s Michonne and suddenly starts twirling around some sort of blade, he better realize sometimes you have to put aside how you “feel” about something to ensure your family’s survival.

21. Katrina says:

I like Nick and Daniel the most. Would rather be with one of them during the apocalypse than any of the others. I kinda like Maddie, and I’m really trying to like Travis. I wonder why Daniel lied about his “cousin” was it simply to part ways with the others, or
    something else? Oh and I loved that comment Daniel made when Travis said “you know how I feel about guns” something like “gun don’t care how you feel about them” lol

22. Geraldine says:

Gibbs Mark Harmon needs to find another Ziva or bring her back Bishop has no personality brings NCIS down & I have watch the Show since it started She has no part for this great Team

23. website says:

Undeniably consider that that you stated.
    Your favourite justification seemed to be on the internet the easiest
    thing to be mindful of. I say to you, I certainly get irked whilst folks think about concerns
    that they plainly don’t know about. You controlled
    to hit the nail upon the top as smartly as outlined out the whole thing without having side-effects
    , other people can take a signal. Will likely be back to get more.