Emmys

Emmys 2015: Americans, House of Cards and Shameless Stars, Freak Show, Thrones Among Early Winners

At last, the Emmys have arrived!

No, we’re not talking about the 2015 Primetime Emmys broadcast — you’ll have to wait until next Sunday, Sept. 20 for that — but rather, the Creative Arts Emmy Awards, which were handed out Saturday evening at the Microsoft Theater in Los Angeles.

Among the night’s winners:

Outstanding Guest Actor in a Drama Series | Reg E. Cathey, House of Cards

Outstanding Guest Actress in a Drama Series | Margo Martindale, The Americans

Outstanding Guest Actor In A Comedy Series | Bradley Whitford, Transparent

Outstanding Guest Actress In A Comedy Series | Joan Cusack, Shameless

Outstanding Animated Program | Over The Garden Wall

Outstanding Casting for a Drama Series | Game of Thrones

Outstanding Casting for a Comedy Series | Veep

Outstanding Casting for a Movie/Miniseries/Special | Olive Kitteridge

Outstanding Costumes For A Contemporary Series | Transparent

Outstanding Costumes For A Period/Fantasy Series, Limited Series Or Movie | American Horror Story: Freak Show

Outstanding Hairstyling For A Miniseries Or A Movie | American Horror Story: Freak Show

Outstanding Makeup For A Single-Camera Series (Non-Prosthetic) | Game of Thrones

Outstanding Makeup For A Miniseries Or A Movie (Non-Prosthetic) | American Horror Story: Freak Show

Outstanding Makeup For A Multi-Camera Series Or Special (Non-Prosthetic) | Saturday Night Live 40th Anniversary Special

Outstanding Prosthetic Makeup For A Series, Miniseries, Movie Or A Special | American Horror Story: Freak Show

Outstanding Main Title Design | Manhattan

Outstanding Stunt Coordination for Drama Series, Miniseries or Movie | Game of Thrones

Outstanding Original Music And Lyrics | “Girl You Don’t Need Make Up,” Inside Amy Schumer

Outstanding Cinematography For A Miniseries Or Movie | Bessie

Outstanding Cinematography For A Single-Camera Series | Boardwalk Empire

Outstanding Cinematography For A Multi-Camera Series | Mike & Molly

Outstanding Television Movie | Bessie

Outstanding Documentary or Nonfiction Series | The Jinx: The Life and Deaths of Robert Durst

Outstanding Informational Series or Special | Anthony Bourdain Parts Unknown

Outstanding Special Class Program | Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber Of Fleet Street (Live From Lincoln Center)

Outstanding Interactive Program | Last Week Tonight With John Oliver

Outstanding Choreography | Derek Hough, Julianne Hough and Tessandra Chavez, Dancing With the Stars and Travis Wall, So You Think You Can Dance (tie!)

Outstanding Variety Special | Saturday Night Live 40th Anniversary Special

Outstanding Unstructured Reality Program | Deadliest Catch

Outstanding Structured Reality Program | Shark Tank

Outstanding Host For A Reality Or Reality-Competition Program | Jane Lynch, Hollywood Game Night

The Creative Arts Emmys will be broadcast Saturday, Sept. 19 at 8/7c, on FXX.

1. FatherOctavian says:

What about Outstanding Children’s Program?

2. Beckers0505 says:

Happy to see Reg E Cathey won. He is pretty awesome on HOC.

3. Ron says:

Welp, I’m already in a bit of shock. I love Reg E. Cathey and Margo Martindale, but I was willing to bet a lot of money that neither of them were going to win in their categories. I for sure thought Guest Drama Actress was going to Cicely Tyson, and, while I didn’t necessarily have a winner pegged for Guest Drama Actor, I thought Reg was definitely looking at a 5th or 6th place in that category–not because he didn’t do good work, but I just didn’t think HoC gave him much of anything to work with this past season. Will definitely be interested to see how the rest of the results turn out.

• XtremeCota says:

Yeah well Margo Martindale had even less….And I love the Americans, but with Lois Smith knocking it out of the park(on the same show), you can tell the Emmys are a joke. I literally can’t remember anything Margo Martingale did this season.

• Simon Jester says:

Agreed, the lack of nomination for Lois Smith was criminal.

• trainwreck says:

Lack of nomination of the amazing main cast and the show itself is an utterly sick joke by the people deciding the nominations for Emmy! Critics and Audience love the show alike and still no nomination?? Congrats to Margo but yes, Lois’ performance gave me chills in that episode!

• Amy says:

It wasn’t memorable, because it was only a brief and insignificant cameo. She didn’t do anything particularly special, because the scene didn’t require it. I love Margo Martindale, and in previous seasons she was definitely Emmy worthy, but the fact that she won this year tells me the voters didn’t even bother to watch the show.

• Guy says:

It was clear they didn’t watch the show when it wasn’t nominated for Best Drama or Best Actress (Keri Russell).

• S. says:

This. Clearly they don’t watch it. Margo got one for Justified and got great reviews for August: Osage County. You know that’s what that was about, they knew her and knew she was great in general. This win though, it’s gonna be ‘Ellen Burstyn’s nomination for 14 seconds’ level of mocking again.

• Scarlet says:

Don’t forget Best Actor. Matthew Rhys is equally fantastic every season as well.

4. Chris says:

I thought for sure cicily Tyson had that in the bag she was amazing on htgawm

5. ? says:

Anyone know if Jane the Virgin wins Outstanding Narrator?

6. bearcouch says:

Haha, I was like damn the Emmys were tonight!? Not that I watch them every year, but I did catch last year’s I think or was that the Oscar’s? I don’t remember now. I think I will watch next week’s show though. Justified wasn’t nominated for anything, right? Or was it?

7. EJ says:

I adore Margo Martindale but she won for one tiny scene on this season of The Americans? I bet she’d admit that Lois Smith (who wasn’t even nominated for her superb guest performance on the show) was far more deserving of the award.

• Tim says:

Yes! I’d be embarrassed to accept the award if I were her.

• Clandestine Green says:

You are so right….Lois Smith was incredible. She really took my breath away with her seen with Keri Russell. I hate Keri Russell’s character but you can’t deny that The Americans has some incredible performances.

• XtremeCota says:

Yeah I said the same thing below. I mean, I can’t remember Margo’s scenes. It was pretty basic and more of a “this is what’s going on with me” scene, wasn’t it? Mostly exposition, no big character moments?

• Amy says:

Not even “this is what’s going on with me”. It was a few lines with Frank Langella’s character to show what he was really thinking about what was going on with Philip and Elizabeth. It could have been with Margo’s character or anyone else really. She wasn’t bad in the scene at all, but there was nothing special about it.

• EJ says:

It was literally ONE short scene with Frank Langella. Her character had a fun snarky line about different types of tea. A bit of exposition and that was it. That was IT. Shame on the nominating committee AND the voters. Lois Smith gave the performance of the year IMO but since she wasn’t nominated I thought Cicely Tyson deserved it for her memorable turn on HTGAWM.

8. LADY_in_MD says:

Aww I was hoping Cat would win for so you think you can dance not that I don’t love Jane lynch on Hollywood game night

9. opus says:

The rules for best guest actor and actress need to be changed. You shouldn’t be allowed to call yourself a “guest” when you are in every season of a show and nearly every episode. These awards should be for actors who come on once or twice in a season. Joan Cusack should be in the best supporting actress category.

• MrScreenAddict says:

The rules actually were changed. Guest Actors are now required to appear in fewer than 50% of a season’s episodes. That wasn’t a rule until just this year, in fact. Joe Morton won Guest Actor in a Drama last season despite appearing in every single episode of that season of Scandal — which I agree is absurd. Joan Cusack, however, only appeared in three out of the 12 episodes of Shameless this season. That definitely makes her a guest star.

• NJMark says:

I remember years ago thinking how unfair it was when Ruth Gordon won for a single episode of “Taxi,” over nominees who did their shows day in and day out.

Eventually, they created the “guest” categories,” but if series regulars submit 1-2 episodes for consideration, instead of being judged over a whole season, what’s really the difference between a guest and a regular anymore?

10. Joey says:

Outstanding Casting for a Drama Series | Game of Thrones

The year we got the Sand Snakes? Really?

11. craig says:

I’m sorry, but Jane Lynch as Outstanding Host? She’s pleasant on her show but she needs more experience. Still like her, though.

12. Steven says:

So glad Over the Garden Wall won. Such a terrific show!

13. bearcouch says:

How does Banshee, Arrow or Daredevil not win for Stunts?

14. Ralph Hartman says:

And now it’s official Sons of Anarchy goes down as the greatest show never to win a single Emmy.

15. DarkDefender says:

How does Arrow not win for stunt coordination?

16. lyannastark says:

So Cat Deeley didn’t win this year… yet again… :'(

• bridyyc says:

Criminal. After all this time, clearly her style doesn’t match up to what the Emmy voters are looking for. I think she’s faboo, but clearly that isn’t a commonly enough held opinion.

17. Mr. Jackson says:

OMFG…I know someone remembers how remarkable Lorraine Toussaint was on Season 2 of Orange Is The New Black! Her character of Vee WAS Season 2! #Iampissed

18. Anne Stone says:

Eric Stonestreet on Modern Family. For the women, I’d go with Julie Bowen (also Modern Family): she’s not the funniest character on the show but somehow the center of it.

19. Viv says:

Cicely Tyson.
    Cicely Tyson.
    Cicely Tyson.
    Seriously. Emmys are such an embarrassment.

20. A Fan of TV says:

Joan Cusack is a guest star in name only – she is a full on supporting actress on Shameless, and doesn’t belong in the category, in my opinion. That said, it really shocked me to find out Joan Cusack has never won a Guest Emmy for that role before despite being nominated as both Drama and Comedy Guest Actress, so I’ll overlook it as deserved. I know that guest actor time on screen varies massively, but if your character is an integral part of the series for five+ seasons (and nominated basically every year for ‘Guest’ work), you’re not a guest in that house by a couple dozen bills paid!

21. HAP says:

I’m confused. The Creative Arts Emmys are supposed to be for people who are mostly behind the scenes doing the technical work, whether they be costume designers, lighting techs, Etc.

So how is it that several of the awards handed out last night were to on-screen performers such as Brad Whitford, Joan Cusack, Jane Lynch, Etc?

Seems to me that these categories were merely cut from the main show next week for reasons of time. But, it is a little unfair that the performers were not able to receive their awards in front of their acting peers.

22. Miranda says:

Congrats to Inside Amy Schumer and Last Week Tonight!
    I’m feeling much more confident now in my Best Drama and Comedy predictions – Game of Thrones and Transparent it is…