The Good Wife Trailer: Alicia Rejects Campaigning, Eli Embraces Smoothies

Alicia and Peter may be holding hands in the first trailer for The Good Wife‘s upcoming seventh season, but don’t expect to see Julianna Margulies’ titular protagonist standing placidly to the side of podiums while her hubby makes a play to become Vice President.

“Are you saying you wouldn’t be involved in your husband’s campaign?” asks Margo Martindale’s incredulous new campaign operative Willa Eastman. To which a smiling Alicia shoots back a chipper “Yes!”

Also in the trailer: Alicia calls someone “the devil” (although whether that’s a compliment or an insult remains to be seen); Peter gets scolded about making his “worst enemy”; and Eli declares that he is “changing like a butterfly” (much to the shock of his right-hand woman Nora).

Press PLAY above for the full trailer, then hit the comments with your thoughts!

1. Angie says:

I still want to know why Julianne and Archie didn’t film together. Please ask this question to the Kings the next time you interview them. Pretty please. :)

• Evan says:

Why does it matter so much?? Everyone knows that they hate each other… no one is going to elaborate any further, so just get over it!

• Eric says:

It’s already been asked and the Kings beat around the bush and never actually give a straight answer. Also, who cares? The topic is so tired and completely irrelevant at this point. Nobody needs to give an official statement or official answer to know that Julianna and Archie clearly had personal drama behind the scenes. It happens more often than people would think and either the actors act professional and just film together or they act petty and one is forced out of the show by finding some finite exit for their character. It is what it is at this point. Archie is off the show and will likely never return or heck, even ever be mentioned again by the characters on the show. I think it’s time people just move on from this topic and just accept that 1) it was filmed separately and 2) we will never get a straight answer ever from the Kings regarding the issue. Let’s all just move on, please.

• Jeri says:

Thank you Eric. Seems like anyone that cared would already be aware of the Kings interview, actually the word interview is generous, as they ignored anything that didn’t suit their agenda.

Still wondering If I can still work up any interest in this show after JMs actions.

• Becky says:

Who cares, for heavens sake. It’s not as if they’re friends of yours and you have choose between them depending on what happened. They are both professional actors and did an excellent job of this show. What else matters?

2. Midnight says:

I’m still not sure if I’m going to watch this season. Between all the cast exits and changes (not a fan of Jeffrey Dean Morgan), the general decline in quality in the 2nd half of season 6, and that truly awful filming bait and switch/Kings interview, I could not be less excited for the new season. Maybe I’ll DVR the first 5-6 episodes and see what everyone is saying about season 7.

3. Kathy Watts says:

The season hasn’t started and I am already tired of the politics. Love Margo, but I’m afraid this will be another awful storyline–just like Alicia’s run last season. Not enough Cary and Diane in the trailer. They are the characters I care about.

4. Charlene says:

I don’t understand why it is such a big deal if the two actresses were in the scene together or not. Who cares?

• Becky says:

Exactly, why does anyone care? They both did a great job on the show.

• abz says:

The actresses did do a great job, however, I think the reason a lot of us are still interested in and/or annoyed with the suspected behind the scenes drama is because it clearly bled into the show. There’s really no reason why two professional actresses could not be in the same room physically to film a scene. And there was no logical reason to not have Alicia and Kalinda appear physically in the same scene together for the last three seasons. It’s fine if they were no longer friends like they were in the early season due to Kalinda sleeping with Peter, but they worked together on and off at firms for the last three seasons and not once were shown in a scene together. It made no sense considering toward the end of season 3 I believe they had drinks again together and agreed that even though Alicia couldn’t go back to the way things were, they would move forward and try to get past it. So when they refuse to show them interact for three years, it just makes no sense. Even when Will died in the fifth season, they only had the characters talk over phone. Why couldn’t they have met with each other? Kalinda knows how much Will meant to Alicia and she could’ve been there physically to console her even for a moment and she’d probably want some consoling herself because she loved Will too..
        People care because it can affect the quality of the show. Characters interact with each other and I personally like seeing the genuine emotions being portrayed and the development that come out of those interactions. The Kings, despite what the say, have clearly tiptoed for many seasons around finding ways to keep the characters apart. I still find the show brilliant and entertaining to watch every week, but even as a hardcore fan (I own all the DVDs which I never buy unless I truly LOVED the show), I can acknowledge that there is something happening behind the scenes that has bled into the show at times and prevented good scenes or episodes from being greater.

5. Dave says:

Michael can you make October arrive any faster???

6. Eric says:

I’m not sure whether I am excited about the new season or not. I will watch regardless because I’ve put 6 seasons into this show and I’m riding it out until the bitter end. I’m generally a pretty loyal viewer, unless I just absolutely cannot stand the show anymore, i.e. Glee. Anyways, I am excited for the additions of Margo Martindale and Jeffrey Dean Morgan — Margo especially! — But I’m not pleased that we are getting yet another politic story arc, as well as Peter being jammed down our throats. This is the Kings’ show and they can do as they please, but it’s pretty sad when the creators/head writers of the show don’t even realize what makes their show so great and what makes it suck, for a lack of a better word. They thrive more when the series is focused on a combination of legal cases, internal office conflict, and personal drama/development of the characters. The show is weakest when they place the focus on political story arcs. After all these years and multiple shots at doing a political story arc, how do they not realize this? Do they not pay attention to fan reactions? Or do they simply not care? I don’t think you should ever pander specifically to every wish that the fans want, but in my opinion, you do need a balance of fan satisfaction and your own personal satisfaction for the story and the characters. I don’t know. I will watch, but it is no longer “must see TV” for me anymore.

• Stacy says:

This show has always, always been about politics. Either how to play the game or how to avoid it, either on the literal political stage or dealing with office politics. The name of this show could just as easily be “The Politician’s Wife”. What show are you watching?

• Eric says:

I never said “The show has never been about politics and it should stay that way.” I am more than aware that the show has always been about politics in some way or another. My point was the fact that the political campaign story arcs are always the weakest points of the series. The show thrives when it focuses more on legal cases, internal office conflict/politics, and personal drama/development amongst the cast of characters. The weakest points are always the political campaign arcs: Peter’s campaign for State’s Attorney, then Peter’s campaign for Governor, and then Alicia’s campaign for State’s Attorney. Now we have endure another campaign arc of Peter attempting to be President? Lord have mercy. I guess I will be okay with it as long as it doesn’t take main focus over everything else, which is what Alicia’s State’s Attorney campaign turned into. Last season was torture because the main focus was the ever so mundane arc that was her campaign. It taught the character a fantastic lesson, but it was painfully boring to sit through. Now, not everyone will agree with me. That is perfectly okay. I just find the political campaign after campaign a little… annoying. I don’t think that is where the show thrives.

7. bridyyc says:

Lord, this season looks dull like dishwater. Is it just me or does it all seem designed to ensure that Juliana is the focus and everyone else has been relegated to back seat players. Unfortunately, the bench strength on the show are the secondary players – Diane, Cary, Will, Kalinda, Robyn, David Lee. As they get slowly whittled down and the rest of them pushed to the corners, this show becomes less and less interesting.

• Eric says:

To be fair, Alicia Florrick is the protagonist of the series. While the show does have secondary characters, “The Good Wife” is ultimately Alicia Florrick’s journey. Heck, the title of the series is about her character. Not to say that the secondary characters aren’t important. They are essential the series and a lot of times end up being fan favorites in just about every show. However, Julianna is always the main focus because her character is the main character in the series. So that’s not likely to ever change.

• hahaha. The. Good. Wife.

8. abz says:

Behind the scenes drama, I still look forward to this show every Sunday and it’s still must-see TV for me. Whatever issues it has, it’s better than a lot of TV out there.

9. SwiftC says:

Eli don’t drink the smoothies! Ellis put peanuts in them!

10. hayes says:

Is this going to be the final season?

11. lechatnoir says:

Calinder will be missed.

12. Miranda says:

No more bleeding politics, please! It was the least interesting part of last season and I just don’t care what Alicia wants anymore.
    What TGW was always good at was telling complex and thought-provoking stories about technology and a modernized society through the lens of legal drama. This legal side-show is a distraction. I hate it.

13. Christian says:

Is JM wearing a wig? Her hair looks awful!

14. abby says:

ooooo, Peter vs Eli?!

15. I hate this show! It’s all about her & her husband sleeping around. There’s really no store line! It bounces all over!