Once Upon a Time Ruby Returns

Once Upon a Time: Meghan Ory to Return as Ruby in Season 5

“I hope there’s a full moon this year,” Once Upon a Time co-creator Eddy Kitsis coyly offered up as part of TVLine’s Fall Preview Q&A. “You never know who might come out….”

Well, now we know — for certain.

I can confirm exclusively that Meghan Ory is set to reprise her role as Ruby for multiple episodes during the ABC series’ Season 5A arc, which kicks off Sunday, Sept. 27.

After parting ways with Once to co-headline CBS’ Intelligence during the 2013-14 TV season, Ory most recently appeared as Ruby in the Season 3 finale, when all of Storybrooke squeezed into Granny’s for the Charmings’ baby naming.

Prior to Once, Ory’s TV credits included episodes of True Justice, Supernatural, Psych and NBC’s Knight Rider reboot.

How do you think Ruby and/or Red will fit into the Season 5A storyline?

1. Desiree says:

YAY!!! I missed Ruby! So glad to see Meghan will be back on OUAT.

2. len84 says:

Good to see Ruby again. Can’t wait.
    Granny & Ruby scenes and Snow & Ruby
    Can’t wait to see Emma’s journey and defeating the darkness and her relationship with Killian, and how that will be.

3. Joey says:

Not even watching OUAT anymore, but I will never be able to get over how gorgeous she is in her Red Riding Hood attire.

4. Andi says:

Meh, she’s very beautiful but very bland and not a good actresss.

5. FH14 says:

Just when I think I’m finally done with this show, it finds a way to pull me back in.

That being said, I wonder if they’ll address her absence since she’s essentially been MIA since late season 2 (save for blink-and-you’ll-miss-it appearances in 3B)

6. Duke says:

Good! I’ve missed a lot of the original, non-family characters.

7. Ann says:

That’s great news! But how are they going to explain her absence? I mean….she was Snow White’s best gal pal and then suddenly disappeared with no explanation whatsoever during all the Wicked Witch and Frozen storyline…Her hunting skills would have come in handy sniffing out where the Wicked Witch was…instead, I think they had Granny doing all that….

8. Roger Canada says:

WOOHOO !!!!

9. liz says:

Interesting. Multiple episodes or a one-off?

10. Jennifer says:

This is great news! Not only to have her back but back for more than just a one shot. Hopefully, we’ll see her actually get some story with Snow, Emma, and Belle. There has been a gaping hole in the canvas without those friendships.

11. bluji says:

Amazing news! The showrunners did say in some other interview that they see Merida fitting really well into the cast with characters like Snow or Belle or Ruby (which based on the short promos and general idea of what the character will be based on the source material of Brave sounds great), so I think this offers a nice chance for the show to bring back a character that’s been missed while blending her in with the new characters from season 5. :D

12. S. Cs. says:

I hope we will see more of her friendship with Belle! #BringBackRedBeauty

13. JC1 says:

I’m not sure whether to be thrilled about this or annoyed. :) I thought I finally was done with this show, but I will come back for Ruby. I just hope she gets a decent storyline.
    I’d love to see Meghan get another good role somewhere. I thought she was the best thing about Intelligence.

14. Luis says:

I’d say it’s about frakkin time, but I think that”s obvious

15. Mr. Tran K says:

Very happy to see Meghan Ory in her long awaited return to OUAT. I know people were bummed about Intelligence (remember that show on CBS?).

16. Tom says:

Free Meghan Ory!

17. kate says:

best news ever

18. Tracy says:

Love Red! So glad she’s back! Never understood why wasn’t a regular!

19. Dean says:

I’ll believe when I see shame she was railroaded when they decided to turn the show into ‘How many disney characters can we cram into a season.’ In my experience their bringing her back either in flashbacks or to kill her off.

20. Mary says:

I’m not sure why she is coming back since they made her a regular in season 2 and then put her in the background.

21. tara says:

Love that she’s back. (Now I’m bitter again, that they ended Intelligence the way the did.)

22. GraceM says:

It’s about time. Her other shoe didn’t work, but she never really returned to Once until now.
    O miss seeing Ruby.

23. Dude says:

Lets not forget Vampire High. Let’s never forget Vampire High.

24. CbinJ says:

I will never understand the near obsession to have Ruby or really any of the S1/S2 characters back. It’s not that I didn’t like Ruby, but her relevance really faded back in ep 12 of S2 and possibly even before that. She is so season 2, I just hope the tone doesn’t take a turn and the mains (and their arcs) are not left wanting for screen time due to adding yet another character to S5.

• Lily says:

I have to agree with you, on this. At least, Ruby is a likable character. There are some characters that the fandom is obsessed with that are absolutely awful, and have never added to the plot.

• CbinJ says:

Totally agree. Personally, I’d very very very much prefer Ruby over Mulan, Peter Pan, Prince Philip, Aurora, and Neal (and I actually liked Neal). As long as those five don’t make a reappearance, I’m good.

Also, Ruby is more interesting than Lily/ Maleficent; I wasn’t even thinking about them when I complained about too many characters. Unlike some, I enjoy new secondary characters–they are necessary for plot; I just want the mains to be the focus. And I want the tone to remain consistent from S4–I don’t want to go back to that gritty S1 or uneven S2 feel.

25. John NYC says:

Great news. There’s plenty of story left in the character and I like the actress.

26. Temperance says:

Yay! Perhaps she can help Emma with her darker side (or recovering after…)

27. mooshki says:

Huh. I might actually start watching again.

28. Dominique says:

yayyy!! that’s great news, i’ve missed ruby a lot. any chance whale will be back as well?

29. Mark says:

Yeah now all they have to do get rid of Hook and they will have done alot to sort this soap opera out put it back on track to what it was

30. Ally says:

Wish I could be excited about this because I’ve missed Ruby these past few seasons, but I think they’re only bringing her back to kill her off. Dark Emma needs to do something drastic to cement her status as the Dark One and the easiest way for her to do that is to have her kill someone. Killing Ruby would have an impact on the other characters, as Ruby is connected to pretty much everyone, without them needing to off one of their regulars. I hope I’m wrong…but…

• Lily says:

An epic death at the hands of the lead character, is a pretty big “honor” for a recurring character.

• Nicky says:

Actually that kind of stunt only seems to work on regulars. It happened to the Huntsman and Baelfire. They were both regulars and main casts, and they died off on drastic measures. So the only person I can guess who might get killed in this situation is Hook.

31. Shayla says:

Can’t wait to see season 5

32. I’m really surprised that almost everyone seems so happy about Ruby returning. Yeah, she was ok…. But she was also very negligible most of the time. She didn’t even get decent storylines. She was just eye candy.

33. Like Ruby so I’m glad to hear this

34. Manisha says:

She’s great! Does anyone know when season 5 will be on-air?

35. SK says:

I am soooo happy about this! I’ve missed Meghan Ory on my tv. So glad I can see her again as Ruby!

36. Missy says:

Assuming the show stays on air for another season or two and Meghan sticks around, I really hope we can get a larger story for Ruby. She’s part of one of the biggest fairy tales and all we’ve ever gotten is “Killed her boyfriend and is Snow’s best friend”, I feel like there’s more there. And I want to see it :)

37. Ellie says:

hooray!!! hooray!!!

38. Maryann says:

In the beginning, Red felt like a major character. I have always loved her, and it could only help the series to have her back with major, ongoing story lines. I just don’t want her back just to get rid of her again or in flashbacks. That would break my heart.

39. browneyegurl says:

Thank you so much for the update. It has been a long time coming and since Meghan has been free for a while, it is great for her to come back. Red represents the nostalgia of Season 1. Where friendships were highlighted and women weren’t damsel in distress.

I hope she is not on the chopping block to be killed so A&E can feel like “edgy” writers. But its OUAT. Nobody really important will die, no break-ups (if they happen) will be permanent. Emma will not be drastically evil, more like an emo teenager that yells at her parents. The stakes are built as very high but there are never really any serious consequences and nobody talks about the grief or trauma they experienced. OUAT just lost any sense of real tension in their storytelling.

• Dean says:

These days killing off people is the standard norm for modern tv shows. I wouldn’t be surprised if Emma murdered Ruby just to make a point that she’s the dark one and that savior Emma is gone. Really how can you still believe the best out of your psycho daughter when she kills your oldest friend? Besides they killed off Ghram and Neil whats another person six feet deep.

• Nicky says:

I don’t think it is Ruby they will kill off, it could be Hook who dies (just like Graham and Neal). Killing a regular seems to be only thing that works.

40. jm says:

I love her with Belle.
    I loved Megan since that tv-show with Hayden Christiensen and the pal from Criminal Minds and Joe Landon. I think she is one of the most beautiful actress out there!

41. Lisa says:

Ruby is back for 5A only?

42. lee winters says:

I’d rather see rumplestilskin with ruby than belle. They have a lot in common.

43. tristan maris says:

Yesss finally she is back( I hope to see her often)

44. lee winters says:

Ruby and rumplestilskin have much in common.

45. saman says: