Fall TV Preview

Once Upon a Time Promo: Who Is Kickin' Hook's Arse? And More Twists

With three weeks left until Once Upon a Time returns, ABC on Sunday night released a new promo for Season 5.

In the brief teaser, you’ll get the surprising answer to the question in the headline above. (Though you may then ask: Why?)

You also may also be led to wonder: Why are Snow, Belle et al in their Storybrooke garb upon meeting King Arthur in Camelot? (Why not dress for the occasion?) Why is Merida training her bow on [Spoiler]? (And is she standing in the circle of stones from Brave?) Last but not least, what is shakin’ at Granny’s?!

Watch the promo above, courtesy of the ever-industrious folks at YouTube.com/tvpromosdb.

1. Val says:

Zelena is – the crazy woman. Get away from Hook!!!

Emma will fight this darkness, to me she is still hero and the savior. I think Hook has gone to see if Zelena knows a way to Camelot, i know a silly move to ask her but he is desperate and would do anything for Emma. Get away from him Zelena, dont hurt him. Wait till Dark Swan finds out… kick your ass.

2. Rita says:

OMG!!! I cannot wait!!!!!!!!!

3. Wordsmith says:

Curious to see how this fits in with the earlier teaser of Emma in full-on evil mode. Is this the calm before the storm? The tough road to recovery after a timely family rescue? Some sort of sinister ruse?
    Here’s my possibly crazy prediction: They somehow manage to magically split Emma into her light side and her dark side, and then they have to defeat the Dark One and recombine the two before Good (and magic-less) Emma dies.

4. len84 says:

Yes for a promo. My poor Emma. Bet Rumple is the devil speaking to her whilst she fighting not to give.
    Zelena is a b****
    And do not hurt Hook! He just wants to find Emma, he would only go to Zelena as she would know somehow to get to Camel through a portal Imo. He is desperate esp if it’s taking too long to find Emma.

5. prish says:

The husband says, “Let Regina get that man. Let her get some love in her life. I am tired of seeing her sad all the time.”

• Eva says:

Your husband is more insightful than many of “real” Regina fans.

As for the promo, all I’ve seen was Regina protecting Roland and Henry at Granny’s (the place where all the catastrophes begin haha)

6. 39 year old fan says:

Poor Killian! I’m so worried for Hook this season. He’s my favorite! He’s why I watch! ABC, please don’t hurt my baby!

7. Jess says:

I hope Zelena kills Hook but I know that she won’t cause Adam and Eddy like him too much.

• Mia says:

Lol smh yeah alright, like that’s gonna happen. Hook has had a wonderful redemption arc and the only reason people like you would want him killed off is because his canon ship is ‘standing in the way’ of a delusional fanon ship that is never going to happen, no matter how many characters were to die.
      They aren’t going to kill off the main character’s True Love so Hook is here to stay. He’s also repeatedly been top of fan and writer favorite polls so you’re in the minority.
      And if you’re hanging on for them to kill him off, honey, you may as well go watch another show.

• Letti says:

Sorry, what wonderful redemption arc? His redemption arc never happened. It was that he was a villain, then he hepled Emma and suddenly became a hero. He never apologized, he never showed any regret for his past ways. But he is a hero because Emma loves him.
        And before you would assume, I’m not a Swan Queen fan. I liked Neal and Emma together, but I’m ok with them not being together ever again. (Though I’m not ok that Neal never got his happy ending and is dead.) I just have to say, that I truly loved Hook when he was a fun villain, and I even liked his interaction with Emma back then. But his nonexistent ‘redemtion arc’ made me hate him, and the fact, that his only role is to be Emma’s lovesick puppy. Can’t he get any other purpose? Because right now he seems useless to me. You’re right, they won’t kill him, but now I’d be happy if they did. He is way overrated.

• Val says:

More like a ignorant fan. And dimissing character development, seems like you so hurt so had to go on a bashing cruise.

• Nicky says:

They probably might kill him, you never know. i am no swan queen fan and CS fan, but the fact is, only the makers of stories in the show will decide. Hook wasn’t the only true love of Emma. She had previous ones (Graham, and Neal). Now with August back, he might be the real true love. Things don’t always go the way we think.

• twin says:

For fans of Hook and CS this is obviously hard to grasp. But not everything is about ships. I can think of lots of good, valid reasons why one might find him eyeroll worthy at best that have nothing to do with relationships.

• Sarah says:

Not worth a response. Sorry.

• NDFan says:

I agree twin.

• Catherine says:

Hook bores me to tears. I honestly wish he would get disfigured by a fire. It might make him more interesting. Although not having him on so much would probably help, too.

Oh, and my dislike of him has absolutely nothing to do with shipping. I really don’t think Emma needs to be with anyone (other than Henry).

• Sarah says:

If they gave him more decent story lines, you might find him more interesting. I love Hook, but his potential has a lot to do with why. I mean I get that A&E have a vision, but they don’t take advantage of opportunities they’ve been given when charachters like Hook get 1 or 2 lines in an episode just to get him on screen. They’re paving paradise to put up a parking lot.

• NDFan says:

They may be in the minority, but they’re still allowed to give their opinion. And you don’t know their reasons for wanting Hook killed off.

• Watching since second half of season 2 says:

If they kill off Hook, I’m leaving the Once Upon A Time fandom to follow Star Wars. At least, fans mean something, over there. It’s Hook, or nothing. He’s why I watch. If he goes, I’ll have no regrets at never looking back. The only thing I will regret, is ever having been so loyal to a tv show, it’s creators, or to the story. Why do I want to hang around a place where I don’t matter?

• Rose says:

The creators of this were also on LOST, hell my favorite show ever (The Walking Dead) has killed off my favorite character and I have not once jumped ship. OUAT killed Cora, my favorite character and I never jumped ship. The fact that you say you’re ‘loyal’ is pathetic because your statement is hypocritical. Nobody is ‘loyal’ to a show for one character that is why so many people (Yes, more than you realise) hate characters such as Hook and Daryl Dixon.

• Catherine says:

Why not love both?? I’ve been a Star Wars fan since I was 3 years old. But I still love OUAT, too.

• Watching since second half of season 2 says:

Hook is a fictional character. Hating on Hook like that just exposes the hate already in somebody who doesn’t hurt him, but only Colin’s fans. There’s no way to justify nastiness.

• Georgi Velkov says:

Im agree with you – i want,one of the heroes to die and for once i wanna Zelena to win!

8. Lindsay says:

I just cant even I WHAT IS HAPPENING

9. JD says:

ooooohhh!!! I think granny’s was shaking because they were being transported to Camelot, whilst in the diner. Because I remember seeing granny’s diner in the woods in the promo photos.

10. Oli says:

Glad to see Lancelot back in action and Rumple as the Dark One/his fairytale land personality is always fun too, not surprised they didn’t reveal what’s going on with Mr. Gold in Storybrooke after what happened in the finale. Regina’s looking fierce and it’ll be cool to see her step up to the plate as a savior of sorts as long as Emma’s the Dark Swan. Merida’s a fun character, really curious how they’ll use her on the show.

I don’t like her one bit, but Hook has become so very lame and so overpromoted for being completely usless beyond having the same two “sad puppy” and “I am in lurve with Emma” looks that I’m sympathizing for once and for a little while. Very likely won’t last long, though. It looks like he’s allowing her to escape and if she wreaks havoc on the town…

• graze says:

I think Gold’s still in a coma and going to be that way for a while in SB unless he’s one of the ones that gets transported to Camelot too.

11. Georgi Velkov says:

It seems that Zelena will kick some ass in Season 5,like she always do – in my opinion,Zelena is the second most awesome character after Emma!

12. David says:

Do any of you guys remember in the Fairytale Land when Belle was a Maid for Gold. When she kissed him the darkness started going away from him. Could it work the same way with Emma and Hook?

• Terri says:

Thank you! I thought I was the only one who remembered that. Someone needs to remind the writers, who seemed to forget about it ever since. Rumple & Belle have kissed many times after that ( they even got married & had a honeymoon) but nothing happened & he continued to stay the dark one! Does anyone else agree? Or am I missing something?

• buttercupscarlett95 says:

I have wondered this, too! How did Rumple stay the Dark One when he kissed Belle a bunch of times after that first kiss? I hope the writers explain this. It would seem like they could end the whole Dark Swan arc in 5 minutes by having Hook or Henry kiss Emma as soon as they find her. I’m guessing there’s going to be a reason why a kiss won’t work this time.

• Dani says:

I don’t think Rumple allowed himself to ever completely and truly love Belle. That’s why he kept secrets from her and betrayed her AND why, no matter how many times they made out, he stayed the Dark One. While Emma may have loved a few different men on this show but her true love is Henry because that is the only “true love’s kiss” that has worked for Emma before (and also for Regina)…

13. Jonnie Roman says:

I love the twist and turns of this show! I’m so freaken happy that the story continues!

14. Zelena looks awesome. One thing misguided ‘Hook’ fans are over looking, like they always do, is that its 100% likely that Hook broke into Zelena’s cell in an attempt to harm/murder this pregnant woman.

And its his fault she escapes. Of which he wont tell anyone, or some how manipulate the truth. Because thats his character. He is the posture boy for rape culture.

Regina is the New Savior, obviously.

Can’t wait till we get more #SwanQueen scenes.

And hopefully that waste of space, RH, is still looking up into the sky like a brain damaged loser going, “where did she go? Did she fly away? Thinking hard. I go poop on pinecone now.”

): )

• Val says:

We all know who this person is from twitter lol.

• buttercupscarlett95 says:

What possible reason would Hook have to harm Zelena? Makes no sense to the story. Most likely, he went to her for help to find Emma. Zelena has magic, after all. Probably not a good idea to tangle with a Wicked Witch, but Hook’s true love is in danger, and we all know he’ll move heaven and earth to find her: “I’d go to the end of the world for her . . . or time.”

• twin63 says:

Probably not a good idea? It’s dead-stupid and if Zelena escapes, which seems likely, he’ll also have managed to put even more people in danger. Because he apparently couldn’t be bothered to try and work together with the rest of the people in Storybrooke. But Hook always acts like he’s the only person in the world who matters and the only person in the world who cares about Emma.

• CbinJ says:

How about looking at it objectively from a storytelling perspective? How interesting would it be if Zelena just sat in a cell with no magic for a whole season? Now the Wicked Witch arc was my least favorite of the show, but if they are going to make the actress a regular they might as well utilize the character.

So the writers need to get Zelena out of that cell. The only characters that would realistically be involved with Zelena would be Regina, Robin with Regina, or Hook. Regina and Robin would be the obvious choices, but neither (hopefully) would be foolish enough to fall for her tricks (again). So we are left with Hook–he has had significant interactions with Zelena in the past; he doesn’t have a righteous streak that makes him hesitant to make deals or ask help from villains; he is impulsive; he will do anything to find Emma. Now, we don’t know what is happening in this scene, but there is only one reason why Hook would talk to Zelena given his potential character arc this season.

Also from a storytelling perspective, how interesting would it be if everybody agreed on the best way to help Emma? Of course they are going to disagree; Snow, Charming, Regina, and Hook all have different motivations, personalities, and relationship ties and the story is better for it. If they all agreed, there would be no dramatic tension and no fun.

• Buttercup95 says:

We’ll have to wait and see what the story shows. I’m guessing he’ll have a good reason for going to Zelena. And of course he’ll do anything to find Emma, just as Charming would do anything for Snow and Rumple for Belle. That doesn’t mean he’s the only one who cares about Emma, but his motivation is probably the strongest. Snow & Charming love their daughter, but they also have baby Neal to protect.

• Nicky says:

His actions of not sticking with the group may be his death sentence in future episodes.

• Brigid says:

Kyle, what are you 10? Who talks like that? Hook has always flown by the seat of his pants and NEVER thinks things through, that has been his downfall from the moment he started on the show, he’s imature and stupid. Also, I have no idea what you mean by rape culture, are you saying he raped someone? I don’t know, fans creating things in their minds scares me very much. You probably write threatening letters to Hook telling him to stay away from your girl Emma. CRAZY!!!

15. Shpooky says:

I think they’re going for a swan like story for emma.
    The black swan in the promos makes me think maybe her dark side comes out at certain times or something and her true love (hook hopefully) will have to kiss the real her or something in order to break the spell?
    Something along those lines seems right. It’s just too big of a coincidence otherwise.

16. Brian Tran says:

Can’t until Once Upon a Time returns. Getting sick of BB17.

17. Rose says:

I think its most likely that Hook will be desperate asf, go in search of Zelena who knows how to jump realms but in return Zelena wants freedom so when/if Hook refuses I’m guessing thats what causes the altercation. I feel Zelena will be at war with Regina again as both of them try and sway her to one side, Zelena & Rumple to Evil whilst Regina, Snow and Hook try and get her onto the good side.
    Overall, I do hope that Zelena survives because it will be fun if Emma remains dark, hopefully one of the core heroes die possibly someone like Hook or Charming whilst we see the return of Ruby, Mulan and Ariel?
    Also hoping for more Maleficent!