Mr. Robot Season 1 Finale

Did Mr. Robot Need More Tyrell? Where Is Ray Donovan's Son? Arrow Misfire? Weak Whispers UFOs? And More TV Qs

We’ve got questions, and you’ve (maybe) got answers! With another week of TV gone by, we’re lobbing queries left and right about shows including Hannibal, Falling Skies, Mr. Robot and Rookie Blue!20Qs-DefianceBaby

1 | Defiance fan Pandora must wonder about the finale’s flash-forward: “What has Nolan been eating for the past six weeks up there in space?” We mean- while ask: How did it go from night to day to night as Yewll was launching the pods to the Omec ship? Lastly, is Lucas among TV’s Top 10 Cutest Baby Actors?

2 | Shohreh Aghdashloo and John Noble in the same Elementary episode? Anyone else inclined to watch with the picture off, just listening to those wonderfully distinct voices?

3 | In the midst of Hannibal‘s otherwise terrific series finale, did the “Dolarhyde overtakes an entire FBI escort team” scene feel a bit too clichéd? And did you stick around past the credits for Bedelia’s last supper? (If not, go back and rewatch!)

Ray Donovan4 | Is Ray Donovan going to address the worrisome disappearance of Conor?

5 | Rob Benedict’s stealth guest stint on Masters of Sex got us thinking: How does the insanely talented and charming Felicity vet not have his own show yet? And speaking of Sex, is it controversial that we’re kinda more #TeamDan than #TeamBill?

6 | Did you think/fear that Falling Skies’ Maggie would die either before or right after answering Hal’s marriage proposal? Also, why is it that all alien eggs on TV and film “glow”? Are there E.T.-like heart lights pulsing inside?

7 | Has VH1’s cancellation of Hindsight — despite its previous Season 2 renewal — make you wary of other recent pick-ups like Impastor and The Jim Gaffigan Show? (And did NBC just find itself an “out” with Aquarius?)

8 | Switched at Birth‘s Mingo: Daphne’s best love interest yet? (Yes, the competition isn’t strong, but still.) And were you surprised by how much money the Kennishes used to have?Chasing Life

9 | Who do you think Chasing Life‘s April will kiss first: Dominic, or her hot new doctor (played by Colin Egglesfield)?

10 | Do you suspect that SYTYCD judge Jason Derulo is giving extra-harsh criticism (even to great routines!) so viewers will take him more seriously? And is it working? Also, we love seeing more of Travis and Twitch, but does it matter one stinkin’ bit whether Team Stage or Team Street got more votes in a particular week — especially since, in the end, it’s going to come down to one individual dancer?

11 | This Week in Bad CGI: So, how about those Whispers UFOs that instantly accelerated from 0 to light-speed? It was akin to the 8mm home movie one makes as a grade schooler. In the ‘80s.

12 | Has it dawned on anyone else that Hawaii Five-0 now has cast two blonde (and badass) alien-invasion cable drama actresses as Season 6 love interests?

13 | Really, Tyrant? We “get” that it’s problematic to have Abbudinian characters speak in their native language, but couldn’t at least 50 percent (versus a handful) of the signs at the rally for Bassam have been in Arabic?

14 | Was the lack of Tyrell in Mr. Robot‘s finale disappointing? (What do you think happened to him?) How unnerved were you by the Joanna/Elliot scene? And were you relieved that there was a post-credits sequence, if only because it meant the overused “Who’s at the door?” mystery wasn’t the cliffhanger?

Arrow Diggle Costume15 | To echo many an Arrow-loving TVLine commenter, as well as common sense: How’s that peripheral vision working for you, Diggle?

17 | Even though we Mistresses viewers pretty much knew that Calista’s assistant Wilson was going to turn out to be the killer, did you still gasp when he emerged from the shadows in that busted wig and one of his boss’s caftans? And given finale’s cliffhanger nature, what should we send ABC execs — Maison Sur Mer scented candles, perhaps? — in the name of a renewal campaign?

18 | Graceland’s Charlie probably shouldn’t have blown Jakes’ cover when taunting Germaine, right? Wanna bet that comes back to bite them in the ass? (Dale’s crush Courtney probably works for Germaine, eh?)

19 | Was Big Brother‘s double eviction the most anticlimactic in series history?

20 | Do Sofia Vergara’s shampoo commercials axe-spray-adremind you of the Modern Family Halloween episode where Gloria dropped her accent?

21 | This antiperspirant commercial guy needs a sandwich (or two), right?

22 | On a scale of 1 to 10, how disturbing do you find that M&M commercial where a suburban couple seems to be… sleeping with the candy?!

Hit the comments with your answers and any other questions you care to share!

1. Wordsmith says:

I’m waiting for the Mr. Robot twist where it turns out that Eliot was also somehow Tyrell all along

• DougMac says:

Too many scenes where it doesn’t work, but I’m excited to see where Tyrell turns up

• byron says:

Yes, BUT for the fact that she is also gorgeous, and they are both quite compelling to watch (if slightly overused for their personifications.) And how about the best name in the biz?

5 | …speaking of Sex, is it controversial that we’re kinda more #TeamDan than #TeamBill?
        I’m #TeamVirginia – her ‘personal’ relationship w/Bill is absolutely dysfunctional, and with Dan (Rydell, for me, always) it’s more fantasy-romance than reality: Could we really see them at home together with the kids 10 years from now…?

Disappointing in so many ways. I get that nothing is certain but death and taxes, but why not just hold off on the announcement until it’s really sure? So unfair to cast and crew. (And viewers – what in all HECK did she awaken to when the elevator opened…?)

And just when did you last see UFOs accelerate IRL?!? Nothing to compare to, hahaha…

IMO, that’s enough picking on Tyrant for not doing enough ‘native language’ – they clearly are doing it for our benefit, and I, for one, appreciate the simplicity thereof.

I thought his continued absence was brilliant, and very much in keeping with this show’s consistent, in-your-face deconstruction of standard TV fare. Joanna/Elliot was *ahem* almost the most disturbing thing about the finale (and I think there is a real possibility that Elliot could be Tyrell – look at her reaction to him when she first sees him there. I understand the arguements against, but the Internet cafe scene with Mr. Robot proves that it really is possible.)

HAHAHA…! Okay yes, however – such a delicious perversion, no? I love M&Ms, nomnomnom…

• Elliot = Tyrell would work except for one GLARING flaw in the argument, and I’m surprised more people are forgetting about it: Elliot’s boss has interacted with Tyrell in the same room.

Also, when Elliot went to see Tyrell at Evil Corp in the finale, he talked to her secretary and she said he didn’t work there anymore. So unless he’s also his own boss and the secretary, it just doesn’t fly.

• James says:

Sam Esmail admitted that he loves Fight Club. He claims that we were suppose to figure out that Eliot was Mr. Robot before the reveal. It was in fact an homage to Fight Club. Who did Brad Pitt play? Tyler Durden. TyLER – TyRELL. It’s either obvious that Elliot and Tyrell are the same person, or it’s a red herring.

2. Wordsmith says:

I like to imagine that Nolan has defrosted an Omec sleeper or two to snack on during the journey. Fair is fair, right?
    And yes, baby Lucas is ridiculously cute. I’ve been wondering, though – they can’t possibly make him wear contacts, can they? Meaning that every shot we see the baby is actually an effects shot…

3. Steven says:

7. I hope TVLand doesn’t take back Younger’s renewal. I’m still so upset about Hindsight.

4. DougMac says:

Also very disappointed in the Hindsight news. I can’t believe how much I grew to like that show by the end of the season

5. LADY_in_MD says:

I think Jason is being harsh on purpose he seems so uninterested that he probably doesn’t want to come back next season I don’t really understand why they do the percentage thing in the beginning one person will win and most likely that will be JaJa
    Oh and congratulations to Cat!

6. Gerald says:

11. CGI wasn’t that bad. But they have technology and ships that move that fast, why couldn’t they have taken what they wanted that much sooner. Great cliff hanger. Fingers crossed we get a conclusion.
    15. I hope it is a joke, or Diggle realizes what we all know and puts an end to the costume before it begins.
    19. UGH. Yes. Those people are idiots for not taking out one twin while they had a chance. Worst season ever.

• bryce says:

11. It was just kind of strange. I don’t know how else to describe it. Not conventional movement of what we’d expect by any means.

• mo says:

wish the TV line team tied it back to the times when Ray Bradbury wrote the short story. It looked like it came from that time period.

7. bryce says:

These questions were anticlimactic, I can’t wait for fall TV to start. Another commercial-related question about a common Hulu ad by Statefarm where the man says he’s “never getting married,” “never moving to the suburbs,” etc. and then is shown breaking his “nevers.” It ends with him saying “he’s never letting go of” of his family. Since he did all the things he said he’d never do before, doesn’t this imply that he’s going to abandon his wife and kids??

• johnhelvete says:

The commercial is the guy finally growing up and becoming an adult, realizing what is important to him in his life, his wife and two young daughters. Statefarm is there to protect what he cares about. Pretty simple but very effective ad, one of my favorites from the last year or so.

• Angela says:

I thought the same thing about the Statefarm commercial! I get what they mean, and it’s a cute commercial overall, but yeah, I’m glad I wasn’t the only one struck by that pattern with all the “nevers”.
      Also, speaking of commercials, the M&M one mentioned in this list is indeed very…odd. And creepy.

8. AngelWasHere says:

#22 I give it a 5. Slightly disturbing after some thought, but hilarious.

9. Amy says:

#1: Jeez, that baby is super cute.

10. c-mo says:

#8 the hot new doc. Even as a Dominic fan, I think that relationship should be over until after April has a different significant relationship…he shouldn’t be the rebound guy.
    #22 it’s actually a 15 on my scale…a little more creepy thN it should be

11. Luis says:

1. Cutest baby actor in the history of TV!!
    2. I want to hear John Noble and Shoreh Aghdashloo reading A.R. Gurney’s “Love Letters.”
    15. Peripheral vision has always been an unremarked issue for heroes in masks. Frankly that helmet looks awfully heavy to be running around in.
    22. OMG! Thank God I’m not the only one skeeved out by that M&M commercial! BTW, WTF was up with Yellow hiding in the closet?? Kinky!!!

12. Tom says:

~
    What is with the obsession with subtitles? I’m finally getting into Daredevil, and it’s hard to do other stuff during it as every so often someone will start speaking Russian or some other language and you have to stop, go back, and pay attention as you read. It’s similar to The Americans. Yes I get it, they wouldn’t actually be speaking English, but c’mon, English is the language du jure of the United States, so maybe a little suspension of disbelief is in order no? Don’t make us read to follow what’s going on.

13. Rachel says:

14 – Joanna is terrifying

16 – frank and noelle (even tho we thankfully got to see her earlier this season)

21 – yes I most definitely agree. He makes the commercial hard to watch.

14. JC1 says:

12. Yes, it had occurred to me that Steve and Chin might not be able to tell their girlfriends apart. I’m joking…mostly. :)
    15. MAJOR misfire on the Digneto helmet. :( I don’t know what’s going on with the Arrow costuming department lately. Roy’s costume looked like it wore him, not the other way around. Laurel’s costume is all buckles, and now this.

15. Kate says:

14. While I missed the crazy of Tyrell, it was a good WTF to keep running that was at least keeping Elliot somewhat centered, like you’d have your mind going in a million directions with him and then you’d end with, but seriously where the hell is Tyrell. I feel like the scene between Joanna and Elliot might have been the most unnerving and almost scary scene I’ve seen on TV in awhile. I sometimes watch the show, but especially in the season finale, I started to wonder, since this is supposed to be just the first 30 pages of the full length screen play and they have made such a point of grounding the show in reality (like the first three seasons of Arrow deliberate about it) that I keep wondering if there is another element of this story. Like if Joanna had opened her jaw to swallow him, I wouldn’t have been surprised. I was glad for the coda too because you were ready to feel betrayed by Whiterose and then realized she is playing a bigger game than anyone realizes and not only is winning but we’d be rooting for her.

15. I didn’t even get to the peripheral vision issue, I kept wondering, how is that hiding his identity at all?

18. I sort of panicked when Charlie revealed that (because of recording issues, this is the only show I watch live, and I sometimes have had a hard time following Charlie and Jakes’ plan).

19. Probably, though, and live feeds spoiler though I imagine he’ll say this in a DR shown on Sunday, I agree with Steve that the twins failing to vote out JMac when they had a chance was probably stupider than them not going after the Austwins last week.

22. I just have a hard time with food or candy that is anthropomorphized in the first place. I actually tend to find myself turned off by the food after that happens. Like I don’t remember the last time I ate M&Ms.

16. Conor’s disappearance on Ray Donovan is not worrisome, it’s welcomed

• GailC says:

I believe Conor was in the car when the mom picked up Bridget at school to go to Bunchy’s wedding. The camera barely showed him but he asked Bridge if she was high.

17. GraceM says:

My question is why wasn’t Noelle and Frank at the wedding?
    Especially since Sam considers Noelle q good friend.
    I know the actor who plays Frank is,busy with another show, but how long does it take to film one episode?

18. Holly says:

22. 10 but – Pretty sure the thing would melt…

19. Ellinaras78 says:

4. Don’t really care.

20. Ellinaras78 says:

14. All the “twists” in the past 3-4 episodes were disappointing as they were pretty obvious.

21. Alex says:

Hindsight and all those shows are missing star power. NBC isn’t going to burn bridges with Duchovny, who is happy working on Aquarius.

22. Re #20 There’s no such thing as speaking without an accent. So, it’s not possible to “drop an accent”, just change it to another one.

23. prish says:

If Eliot is a casual or pathological strangler, I’m bailing. It would be so out of his character, at least the character I care about. Tyrell is fun small doses, but only if he is a separate character.

24. bj says:

Is Lucas among TV’s Top 10 Cutest Baby Actors?

Definitely. He was in the scene as well as most of the adult actors…lol Better than some of the extras I’ve seen on some shows. And he always seemed so happy.

16. Rookie Blue. Just the fact that Duncan was transferring made me completely satisfied.

19. Big Brother: Definitely anticlimactic but then again I’ve wanted to reach through the screen and slap more than one of them the last few weeks. Why don’t they all just go home now and give it to the twins.

22. M&M’s ad. I’m glad I’m not the only one that found that a little weird. lol

25. tallsy says:

7. Aquarius could be next. But TVLand’s so low rated that they probably need to give a second season.
    21. I don’t like the judgmental voiceover lady. Can we talk about the hot couple in the Pick and Choose World Sleep Number commercial?

26. gts says:

I don’t think which team gets the most votes is that important yet. Personally, I’ve had a favorite all season, but sometimes I’ll also vote for other people I like. Or, if I like someone but they had a bad week, I’ll vote for them so they don’t get sent home over one dance. So if one week street dancers do badly, I’ll vote for them to keep them safe, and if a bunch of people do this they’ll get more votes even if they aren’t my favorite and the stage team did better.

27. Julia says:

#5 Nomatter how dysfunctional Bill & Virginia’s rship is it’s realistic and grounded unlike what she has with Dan.
    #TeamBill All the way!

28. Dude says:

What’s the point of #21? It’s not even a popular enough commercial for you to drop a brand name. Did you just really want to body shame a guy for not looking like an Abercrombie model? Pathetic. If you did that to a girl, you wouldn’t hear the end of it.

29. art says:

#1 – Aren’t they underground? so it’s given that it’s dark? Wasn’t it established in earlier seasons that there is a vast underground location beneath Defiance (or maybe I’m just remembering stuff from a different show, i dunno). When Nolan’s pod launched, it didn’t look like it was the night sky, but rather the ceiling of a cave.

30. mrnekrich says:

Three commercials and no SDRR. Hey, tvline, your bias is showing a bit too much!

31. 16 | As satisfying as Thursday’s Rookie Blue was as a potential series finale, is there anything else you would have loved to have seen before the end? Maybe an appearance by Luke, or Frank’s return?

I would like to have seen how Det. Frankie Anderson somehow managed to get into Gail’s (“I don’t like her”) bed? Also, the arrest of the girl who stabbed and robbed that man, then stole Sam’s SUV.

32. Stacy says:

12) Yes! That was my first thought. Thrilled their both BA, not super thrilled they both had to be blonde. That said, I’m excited to see Sarah Carter again (gave up on Falling Skies a while back), and Chin deserves a bigger storyline. I’m also hoping with the addition of these two interests, perhaps this means Danny’s Amber will be… phased out?

I love that the show isn’t a whitewashed Hawaii, but I’d still love to see some more diversity in casting.

33. babygirl says:

#4 Odd disappearance of Conor. The show was building his story and he disappeared. What Happened? He was growing up to be a Badass. He hit a kid with a bat. Slept with a Hooker. Everything you expect from a teenager in Hollywood. Hope he is still alive. He is cute.

34. Temperance says:

The M&M commercial was supposed to be a double entendre: 1) they got the candy to split it, and 2) the sexual version complete with bi-guy implications. It was interesting to see a bi reference on TV, but it was a little risqué for advertising a kids candy.