Fall TV Preview

Arrow Season 4 Trailer Has Domestic Olicity, Damien Darhk, Constantine, Sara, Costume Changes and More

You now officially have plans for Labor Day weekend: to watch the long-awaited Arrow Season 4 trailer again, and again, and again.

With the superhero series’ Oct. 7 return now just over a month away, The CW has released its first extended look at what’s ahead for Oliver, Diggle, Felicity et al, in a __-second promo that has been teased in Twitter mercilessly by the show’s producers.

Among the new faces to be featured this season, you’ve got Neal McDonough (playing Damian Dahrk), Echo Kellum (as Curtis Holt aka Mr. Terrific), Parker Young (as Thea’s new love interest), Jeri Ryan (as a powerful politico), Matt Ryan (reprising his NBC role as Constantine), Alexander Calvert (as the DC comics baddie Anarky) and Elysia Rotaru (recurring as Oliver’s latest flashback paramour).

Press play below, and then scroll down for my frame-by-frame commentary.

1. emily says:

I SEE NO VIDEO :(

2. Elley says:

It doesn’t disappoint !

3. m3rcnate says:

Looks good, but Diggles helmet still looks awful and idk how i feel about 99% of the cast being “superheroes”.

• Since says:

This, exactly. Very excited for Constantine, though.

• Nala says:

Their not like superman or even meta-human super but it’s still parralleling the comic. And what about The Justice League when it comes to a whole gang of superheros. So why can’t they all be badasses?

• m3rcnate says:

Lol. Comparing this CW show to the Justice League which has Superman and Batman and Wonder Woman and The Flash (aka A list super heroes) is ridiculous. Also it doesn’t matter that they dont have powers.
        When this show started (S1) it felt great, there was one “hero” with a bow and arrow, but he was surrounded by regular people. He had his mom, his best friend, his ex GF, his sister, his body guard and a few other supplemental characters. Now look at the cast, every one but Felicity is wearing a Super hero costume, a bunch of them have bow’s and arrows, there are like no regular people in the cast anymore (friends, family, etc) that ground the show.
        Am I saying i totally dislike it and won’t have fun watching it and everything? No. But in the comics yes you have the Green Arrow, Black Canary, Speedy, and so on. But in the comics they make sure to surround them with some regular non-vigilante people, to ground the world by making it feel normal to us by having regular people part of it.

• Patrick Maloney says:

You are forgetting about Quentin, and they are introducing normal character like Holt and Lady Cop. I admit they are more than likely to become heroes of their own but they are still gonna ground the show. That brings up another point, just because they put on a costume doesn’t mean they still can’t be grounded.

• m3rcnate says:

Grounded means grounded to reality, in what reality do you live that putting on a costume and going out and fighting super villains with a bow and arrow or a sword or a baton is real?
            The idea is to ground a lot of wild and out there things with real people, people we can relate to. Regular mothers, fathers, siblings, friends, co-workers, etc. There is a reason Superman is on Earth in the comics (and TV-shows and movies)…to help us relate to him, for everything but him be grounded and normal and relatable. It is how we can so easy accept a premise where the main character is a super powered alien. Because he has a regular human GF, a regular human friend, a regular human job, a regular human boss, etc etc etc.

• Angus says:

Needs to lose the helmet. Looks to much like Magneto to me.

4. M says:

First of all, so much amazingness. Second, towards the end, is that the way the voice changer thing always made him sound or am I just having flashbacks to Smallville’s Green Arrow?

5. lrdslvrhnd says:

Nope, Digg’s helmet doesn’t look any better in motion (though that one scene with a closeup, it sorta looked like there was nothing on the side, so maybe those panels are see-through? Still looks dumb, though)

6. Jared says:

Oliver running through the suburbs with his green hoodie and cheesy smile had me cracking up! I swear, I LOVE Arrow but sometimes it has a touch of corny..lol

7. murley says:

YAAAAAAAS.

8. lame says:

The writers promised to lighten the storylines, that is way pass due.

9. Claire says:

Guys – no video

10. Lizzie says:

You missed badass Felicity fighting off JR Bourne at the end

11. brenna says:

Love it and can’t wait!!!!! Looks like so much fun.

12. Joey Padron says:

Trailer for season 4 looks good & badass. Good to see Constantine & Sara in trailer. Damien is gonna be trouble for Team Arrow. Excited to see new season next month!

• Jo says:

Constantine is there only because viewers complained to the EP’s about Sara’s demise. He’s going to resurrect her! Hopefully, with some badass superpower.

• Lex says:

To me it’s a clever move: it resurrects Sara without repeating Thea’s “the lazarus pit makes you cray cray” arc, Matt Ryan gets to continue playing Constantine, the character is now integrated into the universe so we now have (1) magic as means of moving future stories forward by giving plausible explanations for plot points, (2) an occult magician/exorcist available to set said plot points in motion, and (3) a guest appearance in their arsenal to use in creating buzz during sweeps weeks. Win-win, and we get more Sara in corsets, which is always a Good Thing.

• Patrick Maloney says:

Whatever got him to this point, I am just happy to have this quality actor playing one of the best characters!

• Patrick Maloney says:

I didn’t like anything in this trailer besides John Constantine’s appearance! So looking forward to him!

13. Luke says:

ok if this trailer is any indication this season will be much much better than the last one;
    I seriously couldn’t care less about Diggle’s helmet if the rest of the season is really like trailer above;
    lets be honest every season we had something( annoying Laurel, crying Felicity on auto-pilot), Diggles helmet just doesn’t seem that important, it can be overlooked;
    can I just say LOVE the new super Felicity;

14. Sil says:

All of this. I’m so excited for season 4

15. rachelle says:

This promo was everything and more! I can’t wait!

16. love says:

Theyy usually just pick what there bride’s being choice or even the
    jewelers suggestion for them. You can make use of as much gifts as the budget allows, even so the most special you
    must function as lovely earrings. It is often a symbol of real love, fidelity, trust,
    commitment, honour along with other emotions which you are aable to
    not express in words.

17. Lena120 says:

Constantine was the only good thing here. I have no interest in Olicity, they practically ruined Season 3 for me. For the most part, it still looks like Laurel’s skills are subpar. Will she ever live up to the Black Canary name? And Diggle’s costume… no. just NO.

18. I’m excited! :) I love where they’re going with it, and it looks like funny Felicity is back. It’s only Sept. 4th? Dang it…

19. Wordsmith says:

Felicity unloading with an MP5 may be my favorite image ever.
    When does she get her own super suit?

• John NYC says:

I think that red dress WAS her super suit.

• Lex says:

I can’t help but recall Will Smith in Men in Black when thinking of Felicity being a boss in heels and a skirt: “You know what the difference between you and me is? I make this look good.” Except without the Ray-Bans – she’s got eyewear covered.

20. A says:

It’s nice to see Oliver and Felicity happy, finally. Also nice to see Diggle out in the field.

21. Ab says:

Matt Ryan reprising Constantine!! AWESOME move CW!!!! YAY!!

• Patrick Maloney says:

Now if the Cw can only give him and John Constantine a permanent home on one of their shows or even his own show!

22. Sheldon W. says:

Well, now. That’s more like it!

Maybe now I can begin to forget the way season three tailed off into terrible comic book stereotype/cliché awfulness…

23. Ab says:

Diggle’s helmet looks like Magneto… 😕

24. Lex says:

I’ve never said it, Matt, but you have a great sense of humor in how you approach Arrow and the fandom – it’s fun while still being diplomatic in a rather contentious bunch. Long live flashback wig!

25. James D says:

meh. I want to love this season and this show but this just seems like a lot of rehashed drama from last season, and tbh I don’t really want to go through that again. the whole Oliver leaving us thing is tired and boring. Speedy going crazy from the pit doesn’t seem all that appealing either but dang Willa is totes badass so I watch for that. So glad Matt Ryan is coming back I was very sad to see Constantine go. What in the name of all that is holly and pure possessed them to make Diggle look like a black Magneto I know he is supposed to be the Guardian or a version of him but that costume is beyond dopey. Sorry to be such a pessimists but I’ve come to expect a lot from this show and it has disappointed me for most of last season and now it seems this season too. I will of course watch it and would be delighted to eat my words. crossing my fingers that is the case.

26. Kristi says:

Can’t wait for the new season – trailer is awesome!

27. msb says:

This makes me so happy and gives e so much hope for this season!

28. Drew says:

It looks like it could be good. Some time has passed and maybe that will allow them to get far away from season 3 wreckage and get back on track. That said, I would rather see Felicity doing her cyber warrior thing than see her shooting guns and getting in the middle of the action. She is not a fighter. Stop trying to make her super!
    Other than that, it looks like it could be good. Like a reboot in some ways.

• Drew says:

Correction… The trailer looks okay, but the Diggle helmet still looks stupid.

• How about we wait for context as to why Felicity is shooting the gun before we suddenly decide she’s a superhero? Remember when people freaked out at the end of season two when it somehow looked like Laurel was an archery expert because of how she was holding the compound bow in one of the preview pics? Those people looked awfully silly when it was revealed that the bow does all the work via Oliver’s dialogue…

• Drew says:

This wasn’t a promo pic. It was video of Felicity shooting a machine gun and fighting off a guy before he could get in an elevator. What I said was that I would rather see Felicity doing her own work in the promo. They are trying to play up the bad@$$ Felicity in the promo… My comment is about trying how the marketing department should be communicating to fans of the show who didn’t like what they did to her last season. I wasn’t commenting on the story at all.

• You were commenting without knowing the context of it. Besides, i’m kinda tired of the women of Arrow being helpless, so if Felicity is going to start defending herself (not engaging in all-out war, for heaven’s sake), I’m not going to quibble. Besides, all she actually did as fire a gun awkwardly (after her computer station looks like it was shot up) and kick a guy in the knee to buy her and Curtis enough time to escape. That doesn’t really seem beyond her capabilities.
          Diggle started teaching her to defend herself in 1×16, and I don’t think he stopped. If we’re supposed to take on faith that Nyssa was training Laurel off-screen during season three, then we can darn well take it on faith that Felicity was being taught self-defense, too. And guns, when you get right down to it, are basically point and shoot. I don’t think Felicity spent all that time around Dig and never learned what the safety looked like, especially if he wanted her to defend herself.
          I only brought up the picture because people *didn’t know the context for what bothered them* then, either. That was the reason for the comparison. But I guess it only counts if it’s the same type of media, right?

29. Bwhit says:

This looks awesome and i am so excited for October.

30. Silveraynea says:

I am so excited that Constantine is back!

• Patrick Maloney says:

Seriously! They should’ve just introduced him in Arrow first apparently and I bet his amazing show would’ve done a lot better!

31. A says:

Totally squealed. Mr Tariffic and Felicity seem super fun. What a great trailer. Can’t wait

32. kagz says:

pretty cool DAT they r bac,oliver queen & felicity

33. anon says:

This looks really promising. i’m not really that excited for the addition of the supernatural, but tonally it looks like they have finally found a way for every character to interact with each other in a way that works. Something that they haven’t ever really got right.

Letting felicity be able to capably defend herself and not be a damsell in distress trapped behind a computer and Akward love triangle is smart. But Thea is currently looking like the season 4 MVP.

34. jj says:

This is why I stop watching Arrow.

35. datdudemurphy says:

There’s a whole lot of awesome in that video……

Unfortunately, there’s also a lot of Felicity

36. You have no idea how stoked I am for this season! Olicity, Team Arrow, the action, the baddies, the new look and feel. Looks so good!!!

37. Eli says:

I miss Oliver, Felicity and Diggle like I’ve got family that’s been away for 6 months. Can’t wait to see them back on my screen.

38. Roberto says:

a good trailer, action-packed. the show is focusing on Team Arrow and shows us a little bit all the characters both regular and recurring. Damain Darkh seems more interesting Ras Al Ghul and his relationship with Anarky just mentioned, could prove to be a good plot. The writers have invested heavily on the characters Black Canary and Speedy and it is on the success of these characters that the show is played most of the season. Oliver, Diggle and Felicity are a certainty, as long as they do not overdo with Olicity. The helmet of Diggle in live action is not as bad as in the picture and creates a contrast with the hood of Arrow, as if to emphasize the differences between the characters. I hope the authors find the time to give us a challenge of the women between Sara, Laurel and Thea. It would be fun to see Black Canary fight against White Canary and see Sara who seeks revenge against Thea. I hope that the flashbacks are better

39. Sharon says:

Can’t wait for season 4!!!

40. pat says:

Thought the trailer was great, totally looking forward to Arrow’s S4.

41. Fernanda says:

please Arrow writers.. break up Olicity

42. DarkDefender says:

In a word: EPIC

43. Mary says:

Oliver isn’t the one to stop Thea from stabbing someone, it’s Diggle.

44. Ben says:

This show seems to be going down the typical CW road now. It’s not bad, it’s just weird that it’s done such a turn-around. Season 1 and 2 had such a different feel and tone. It seems to have replaced gritty, w/ Vampire Diaries style action + romance. Granted, it is just a trailer. Like I said, it’s not an attack , just an observation.

45. Robert Dassler says:

Awful. Just awful. The CW can’t stop the rot by rebooting Arrow into another Flash-type show. It’s done.

46. saku says:

love the promo! cant wait for season 4… oh and for olicity too!

47. Ugonna Wosu says:

That’s a badass trailer. I hope it makes up for the lousy season 3. More action, less romance,the show sucks at the latter. Is the blonde that’s dripping wet Sara (yuck).

48. Ashley says:

Awesome trailer, can’t wait for season 4. Excited to see Oliver with his new suit, Diggle & Thea in action, Sara’s return, badass Felicity , & Olicity. I think the fbs will be better this year, last year they really were dull in comparison to S2’s.

49. Chris Hughes says:

Love Arrow just hope it comes 2 the UK soon,been waiting for the new Season its my fav show x