Fall TV Preview
Vampire Diaries Season 7

Vampire Diaries' Candice King Teases 'Badass' Caroline in Season 7, Talks 'Funny' Steroline Baby Theories

It’s been two days since The Vampire Diaries star Candice King announced her pregnancy on Instagram — two days which the fans have used to craft some pretty interesting theories about how it might affect the CW drama’s seventh season.

King has no idea whether or not a Stefan-Caroline baby will be written into Season 7, though she admits it was “very funny to see” the fans’ reactions, particularly those who jumped to the immediate conclusion of a Stefan (or Caroline) Jr.

“Production has known about our exciting news and there’s been a lot of support,” she tells TVLine. “They already knew where this season was going, and it’s kind of the same as every other year: We start the beginning of the season asking the writers a lot of questions about what’s going to happen. then halfway through the season, it’s completely different. … Julie [Plec] and Caroline [Dries] are the best people to ask about [whether or not her pregnancy will be written into the show.] To be honest, I’m along for the ride just like the viewers are.”

And while there’s a chance King, like countless other pregnant actresses before her, might have to hide behind a few counters as her pregnancy progresses, she assures us we won’t be seeing any less of Caroline Forbes this fall.

“Caroline’s not always in every episode anyway, so that helps a little bit, but Caroline has, so far, been a really big part of the season,” she says. “Every single season, we think we know the way it’s going to go, but it always changes by the end. It could really go anywhere.

What we can expect, however, is a more fully realized Caroline Forbes, one who has changed a great deal after a tumultuous sixth season.

“We’re going to see Caroline get her bite back,” King says. “We’ll see her coming in as a badass, and sometimes she might act without thinking things totally through.” This specifically applies to Caroline’s stance against the Heretics, whom she “doesn’t like or trust very much.”

Lastly, King confirms that Caroline, along with several other characters, will make good on the promise to Elena to keep diary entries of what she’s missing during her 60(ish)-year slumber.

“It is The Vampire Diaries, so the diaries will live on,” she explains. “The flash-forwards and the diary moments are a really beautiful addition to the season.

We’ll have more scoop about TVD‘s seventh season as we approach the Oct. 8 premiere — including what to expect from Stefan and Caroline’s slow-burning romance — but for now, drop a comment with your hopes for Caroline below: Are you keeping your fingers crossed for a Steroline baby?

1. Amanda says:

I Love Steroline (& thoroughly believe Stefan & Caroline would make AMAZING parents) but just please dont go there with a baby storyline… Doesnt fit & seems unnecessary but yaay to Caroline getting her bite back.. Season 2 was by far her best.. Looking forward to more of that!

• Lorena says:

I hate how this show makes every single main character date eachother. Enough is enough.

• Angie says:

This happens on a lot of show so 😂

• Zia says:

Its dumb.. true.. but i wud have personally preferred if caroline dint date matt or whatever that crap with klaus was.. Stefan & Caroline to me make perfect sense.. Loved them together since the bunny hunting ep in season 2..

• Sara says:

That really irritates me as well.

It really seems like they just threw Steroline together because they didn’t want to introduce new characters and explore other possible romances. They paired Stefan with Ivy at the start of the season but she was immediately killed off before we even got a chance to explore that.

There’s nothing wrong with a male/female friendship. It shouldn’t always turn romantic. We’ve already been down that road with Caroline twice before (Matt & Tyler).

• Melissa says:

Agree Sara. I was a Stelena fan and I’m not against Stefan having a love interest. There are several reasons why I don’t like steroline. One is chemistry, they don’t have romantic chemistry and it makes it awkward to watch them on screen. It’s sad because I really enjoyed their friendship and wanted the romance to work but when they put them together it was icky for me. On top of that I didn’t like the way they wrote SC storyline last season. Plus didn’t like the way they had to put their past relationships down to prop this relationship up just to seem more relevant. They do this a lot in this show why can’t a relationship just stand on its own without tearing down past ones? Anyway I feel they just need to give both of them someone they have chemistry with.

• luvprue1 says:

I hate the way it seem like everyone was pushing Stefan to go with Caroline. Enzo killing Ivy because Caroline liked Stefan,and he hurt her feelings. Damon and Alaric pushing Stefan to go out with Caroline.
            Liz begging Stefan to get close to Stefan. To me it seem like he really wasn’t interested in her.
            Then it seem like Caroline turn her humanity off because Stefan didn’t tell her he had feelings for her,instead of because her mother died. I also felt Matt should have been the one with Liz instead of Stefan. Doing the entire 6 season Stefan haven’t spent hardly any time with Liz.

Let’s not forget that Stefan still seem unsure. He clearly don’t love her the way he did with Elena. But they made a point of pointing that out. The relationship seem one sided. It’s like Stefan has decided to go out with Caroline because he can’t have Elena.

• luvprue1 says:

Who hasn’t Caroline date? The only guys on the show that she haven’t been paired with are Alaric and Jeremy. However that is because she is the only female character allowed to have a love interest. Elena is only allowed to date Stefan and Damon,and occasionally Matt.

Bonnie is not allowed to have and real love interest outside of Jeremy. Guys are not allowed to take an interest in her unless it’s for her magic. So that leaves Caroline to bring the relationship drama for people not interested in Stefan/Elena/Damon drama.

Now that Caroline is dating Stefan 6 years after he shot down her attempt to get his attention who’s going to fill the dating void?

• Cheyenne culkin says:

Not true she hasn’t dated
            Jeremy,Alaric,Klous,
            Lauk,Elijah,finn,cole,liam,

And I honestly think Stefan and Caroline would make a good couple

and Stefan only turned down Caroline in the first season because he liked Elena and didn’t know her that well

• Tithi pal says:

Exactly

• Julia says:

Is it just me or Paul W really seems bored and can’t be bothered anymore with this role. I’ve been watching season 6 clips of his scenes on Youtube and you can tell his heart is not in this anymore. Even the interviews he’s done the past 2 years you can just tell he’s had enough. Maybe they should wrap up the show before all the main cast quit.
      Looking forward to Stefan & Damon bromance this season.

• Jared says:

I said the exact same thing last week about Paul Wesley. Its so obvious, on screen and off, that he is over The Vampire Diaries. It honestly feels like the show is coming to and end.

• Sara says:

I think he’s very much over it. They don’t really give him good material to work with. Other than being guilted into dating Caroline he didn’t have a storyline.

• Cara says:

I agree but can you blame him? Look at the crap writing they’ve given his character. He’s been on the back burner for two seasons and now his only s/l is him running after Caroline like a puppy trying to make her change her mind and that’s their ‘angst’….or maybe now a baby, which will be hilarious for Plec to try and explain how two vampires can have a baby if they go this route. I can only imagine what he thinks when he gets his scripts. At one of the cons it was funny because interviewers and even the cast was making fun of him because he hadn’t even read the script yet and he kept saying it was in his backpack in his hotel room. That tells you a lot about how he feels. LOL

• tvjunkie says:

First you have to ask how could a vampire, who is actually dead, have a baby?

2. Lorena says:

Are the writers seriously considering steroline? I am disgusted.

• Sarah says:

Which is why I will NOT be watching. The only people who want Stefan with Caroline is Caroline Dries (uncomfortable crush on the Ian/Damon) has openly admitted she doesn’t know how to write for Stefan. and Dulena’s (for obvious reasons) Face it people Dulena killed TVD’s. People literally stopped watching. Stelena had people watching

• Julia says:

For goodness sake will people like you ever stop!! If you stopped watching why are you here. Stelena ended ages ago, I cannot even remember a time when Damon & Elena where not together and now Delena is sort of ended also…and yet you still feel the need to beat on that dead horse…FFS.

• Sarah says:

I’m here because I feel strongly about a show that I started watching and enjoyed. I’ll remind you when Stelena was together…look at the ratings. When Dulena got together people stopped watching.

• Julia says:

We all loved Stelena & it was the ship preferred by most but my point is Stelena has come & gone so has Delena….we get your passion but enough with the bashing of TVD. Of Course the ratings dropped but none of that seem to matter to the showrunners or CW because it looks like DE is going to be end game I think. Last season was an improvement to the previous season; how about we forget the has-beens (because it’s already done) and look forward to a new season.

• Sara says:

I don’t think so. Caroline Dries is the one person who has said she wants cross-overs and she did a lot of the writing for Klaroline in the past and really liked that ship.

I think Steroline was Julie’s idea and where she wanted to go (and she even said that she was self-interesting because she wished her male friends would be romantically interested in her). Caroline Dries doesn’t pick where the story goes – Julie Plec does.

• Sarah says:

Watch any interviews where Caroline is with the cast ie comic con. She did say she didn’t know how to write for “Stefan”. Julie started back tracking when she seen how things went bad for Dulena when the ratings went down. All of sudden she was, Stelena is suppose to be end game. It was as if she was trying to do 1. stop Nina from leaving (forcing her to work with an ex was insulting and very disrespectful to Nina) and 2. Bring back the people ie, Stelena’s . Didn’t work, this show is done.

• Riley says:

I seriously don’t know why Caroline Dries still has a job with TVD. Not only is she a bad showrunner just look at s5 but she did say she doesn’t know how to write for Stefan. As for Plec she has said that about her male friends. I’ve often felt that she’s writing for herself with Steroline and Dries with Delena that’s why they are forcing it on us. lol

3. Annie says:

When I read the headline at first I was like “wait who”

• Beth says:

Same. I’m really surprised she changed her name. It’s the 21st century, ladies! If you are a public figure, at least hyphenate!

• opus says:

OMG!! If Candice wants to take her husband’s last name it is her business and none of yours! To criticize her is just wrong. And about the hyphenated names, what are two people going to do in the future who already have these long double names? Have four names with three hyphenates for their children? I understand wanting to celebrate both parents, but why not just make the mother’s maiden name the child’s middle name. That’s what my parents did and what my father’s parents did.

• Beth says:

Wow, dramatize much? As far as criticism goes this is pretty tame, and I’ll say it again: it is 2015 and there is no reason for women to be forfeiting their own name for their husband’s name, especially when they’ve worked hard and have built a career and a body of work up behind it. It’s her business, but I’m going to speak up about it if I want to because it shouldn’t be expected for women to take their husband’s names anymore.

• Dmac says:

It isn’t expected and yet if we want to take our husbands name, that is our right too. why not? It’s not our last name who defines us.

• Brigid says:

I agree completely Beth!!! Our last names do define us. Ask the plethora of actresses who are known for their last names throughout history. Just to name a few, Betty White, Lucille Ball, Goldie Hawn and though it hurts me to write it Kim Kardashian. All are known by their last names and not married names. JS

• Susannah says:

If she hadn’t taken her husband’s name she wouldn’t be able to refer to herself as Candy King, which is a really cool name. I’d throw in a “the” and be The Candy King!

4. Sarah says:

I love Steroline so I’m here for the ride no matter what. Can’t wait to see more of them in season 7.

5. Lily M. says:

Finally something related to Caroline which is not 100% Steroline…I was really tired of overexposure to this couple.

6. Maryann says:

I do NOT want to see a return of the Damon of Season 1. Couldn’t stand him then and the last thing I want to see is him backsliding to that. Maybe his friendship with Bonnie could help keep him grounded?

7. Emily says:

STEROLINE YAASSSS

8. Sara S. says:

Caroline Forbes exists beyond Stefan???? That’s new … we’ll see.

9. Angie says:

Of course I would love a steroline baby, but it’s up to the writers but I know they would or could find a way my fingers are crossed !!

10. JPinks says:

Does anybody really care anymore?

• Annie says:

I’d be surprised. Most of the hardcore fans I know gave up on it. The truth is this show just isn’t what it once was, and now that they’ve lost the main lead, it never will be

• Riley says:

I think more people than we think will tune in just to see what it’s like. It will be interesting to see if these story lines they keep pushing are really going to make people stay though.

11. Sharon says:

I look forward to a more badass Caroline but definitely not Caroline with a baby.

12. nqma znachenie says:

I love Steroline and im okay with or without steroline baby

13. lorna says:

I hate Steroline. That would make me quit watching and sell my dvds

• Melissa Perez says:

At least give it a chance i for one was bored of the love triangle between the brothers and Elena this can be a good thing

• Lily M. says:

This is the second place that I see someone ask people to give it an opportunity to show, in spite of our dislike of Steroline. I thought Steroline fans were big enough to give the show what they need…ratings.
        But I think one of the reasons why people kept giving up the show in S6, was for the damage they did to Stefan and Caroline’s character because of a ship…typical Julie.

• Mia says:

That’s what my problem is now with Stefan and Caroline. They damaged their characters by making them say things and act unlike themselves just for this ship to sail. Anytime they do that it’s character assignation. I know people liked Caroline’s storyline with her mom but for me the steroline stuff made both of them unlikable. Julie nor Dries really know how to write a love story I think KW did but when he left good writing left too.

• Lily M. says:

Exactly, I liked what they did with Caroline, but not WHY they did it.. promote a couple, hiding their intentions as a “slow burn” and killing Liz

• Finley says:

You nailed it! Now they want to make them have a baby if rumors are true. UGH!! Thanks Plec for giving people more reasons to hate them. I’m sure she’s going to come up with something ridiculous like the heterics put a spell on Caroline to get pregnant. *eye roll* I just want Paul and Kat to leave so I can stop watching this show.

• Brigid says:

They did the same with Damon and Elena. They forced Elena to be with Damon and it was difficult to watch on screen. There was no chemistry there and just hard to watch 2 people who broke up forced to to interact romantically. That pairing is what ruined this show. Caroline and Stefan are hard to watch too. Stefan and Elena just made this show and it’s been off it’s mark since they broke them up.

14. Lois says:

I’ve not watched in a season but I’m pretty sure vampires still certainly can’t get pregnant?

15. Tabatha says:

I need for it to be a Klaus baby…like when she turned her humanity off… they hooked up again and BOOM. ..yep…that is what I need in my life…lol

16. Angel says:

I sure hope tvd can survive without Elena. The whole baby thing will be stupid vampires can’t have babies. The only reason Klaus has a daughter is because he’s a wolf too. I’m sure hoping for a good season.

17. spindae2 says:

Congrats to Candice! She is an adorable person and I wish her a healthy and beautiful baby.
    I hope the writers find a good story to cover up Caroline’s eventual absence.

18. Lou says:

Steroline is already a unhealthy relationship without any chemistry (whereas Candice usually manages to have chemistry with any actor, just look at her scenes with Tyler, Enzo, Klaus, even Damon), so please don’t add a baby into this ! Caroline deserves a better plot.
    On the other hand, congrats to Candice for this wonderful new, I’m sure she’ll be a great mom !

19. moynihanroseellen@gmail.com says:

Hahaha a baby story? If they copy The Originals I will S C R E A M. Did Ian Somerhalder not say they were going back to simple storytelling? I still absolutely love the show, Nina leaving didn’t really bother me because I realize that the show is about Stefan and Damon, Elena really being the main love interest when you think about it (but seriously, I can’t wait for her to come back in the series finale for the Delena ending, which they basically implied was going to happen). HOWEVER, we don’t need another The Originals (The Mystic Gang vs. The Heretics and The Vampires vs. the witches vs. the werewolves). I still think it is an amazing show, I agree it lost some of its spark but it’s still there, just less often, but I am a die hard fan so I have hope. The baby story is too much though. If you want that, honestly, go watch The Originals.

20. Tithi pal says:

I love steroline but only as friends. Caroline almost dated every men in the drama except jeremy. It’s ridiculous. Leave stefan out of this. Let them be friends only

21. Jeri says:

I have loved this show since the start but with each new reveal I have a harder time seeing it as continuing. I would love it if they can overcome all the changes but they have a lot more to deal with than Elenas departure. I had thought Caroline would save the show & be the main female character but she also seems to be moving on. I’m just not much of a Bonnie fan.

22. Crystal Little says:

I hope Candice takes “Season 7” off. She’s been working non-stop for the last 6 years. Candice needs to focus more on her health & prepare for the arrival of her baby.

23. Amah lydia says:

I love vampire diaries and am steroline super freak fun I love the two of them together I can’t wait to see the growing slowly deeply in love

24. Angela Dominic says:

uhhhh……so much drama!! BT I will and forever be a stelina fan….

25. Angela Dominic says:

I loved the show at first….but then evrythn changed when delina happened….kinda just like lost interest and then wat now a steroline!…like criouzly! how many guys is she Gona be paired up with,..

26. Quinn says:

What!!! Vampires can’t have babies. Everyone knows that. Just cover the baby king. And if you’re saying why klaus and Hayley aka klayley have a baby will let me tell you that klaus is half wolf and Hayley was a wolf on that time. Wolves can have babies , Vampires not.

27. dennis says:

for me i think in the movie the vampire diaries, Paul and Nina made a spectacular couple full of romance…i somehow wish that in the last season, the two lover birds will be together.

28. Sara says:

I dont know when it happened.. but I completely got over the love triangle and fell in love with Klaus and Caroline. And I really like Bonnie as well but seeing even the “rumor” or potential steroline baby makes me want to scream! Why don’t the writers like Klaus and Caroline? Thats where it is at and I cant stand to watch what the show has turned into last two seasons.:/

29. Sharon says:

Yes let it be sterling that would be great

30. youlindie says:

plz.plz.plz let Caroline and Stafan have a baby u cn let Bonnie give her herbz or something ill love it an anyone tht is a TVD fan wil love it to
    let bonnie put a spel on the baby so it can be a human lol ill love it

31. I’m not as interested in whether Stefan and Caroline are “expecting” as I am in seeing the focus on Stefan and Damon’s relationship.

32. Chantall says:

Hey john how would you know she stole him from his family..they dated long after his break up..and lots of kids have step moms its doesnt always mean that daddy was stolen from mommy, come on..so she is married to a man with children that makes her awful how?

33. rk says:

I Agree it’s like watch Dawson’s Creek In a vampires and wolves way

34. sammy says:

guys Caroline only dated tyler,others were just a thing,and I want steroline together,i mean elena was the one who left stefan,so stop commenting wrong on steroline.

35. Alyssa says:

Are they gonna hide the pregnancy or gonna have a steroline baby o hope they won’t his it

36. Bob Wood says:

Why is she being called Candice King? I know its her Married name but unless she herself changes it in the credits, then she should still be refereed to as Candice Accula

37. Laura says:

I really hope no baby. I’m not a fan of vampire births. I was ok with Klaus having a baby on the originals because he is a hybrid now and its a mystical loophole. If regular vampires can have babies why hasn’t any of the others had one in the last 1000 years? It would just make no sense according to the shows own rules. I like them as a couple, but hate the idea of a baby since they have made it clear that vampires can’t have them.

38. Julissa says:

If it’s Stefan and Carolines baby I’ll stop watching the show. Caroline has been with almost every guy on the show. Klaus, Damon, Matt, Tyler, and now Stefan gross. I don’t like her character at all.